PDA

View Full Version : Dita(Chobits) trenchcoat..?

Raine
06-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Urm, yeah. Dita wears something like a vinyl trenchcoat(gods, this is florida, not sure what the hell I'm thinking). I'm not exactly sure how I'd go about making something like that. I highly doubt if I could ever find something like it to modify, considering that it doesn't button up or zip up or anything. Pictures are attached, if anyone could spare some advice, I'd really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

chubbybunny
06-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Well, what I did when I made the coat is bought a regular long suitcoat jacket that went to around my knees, (NOT VINYL.. yuck!), and modified it a TON. It was a lot of work, but I cut out the back, chopped off the sleeves, out boning in the collar to make it stick up, added belt loops and belts to go around the jacket, and modified the front so that it flared out.

Whew! Hope that helped some o.0 I know it was confused rambling ;) Good luck! :bigtu:

Raine
06-11-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks, but me and my Jiima-cosplaying friend are both gonna be doing vinyl. >.>; Though I agree, it's probably a bad idea. >.>; Vinyl in humid, floridian 90-100 degree weather. Gods, we're insane. XD

kawaii_mon
06-11-2004, 09:43 PM
If you're gonna make the coat from scratch, simplicty have copies of the coats neo, trinity and morpheus wear in the matrix which have the same basic shape, so you could alter the pattern to suit...

good luck! ^_^
i've always wanted to do dita, its an awesome costume, but unfortunately i dont have the body to suit :(

Raine
06-12-2004, 10:04 PM
If you're gonna make the coat from scratch, simplicty have copies of the coats neo, trinity and morpheus wear in the matrix which have the same basic shape, so you could alter the pattern to suit...

good luck! ^_^
i've always wanted to do dita, its an awesome costume, but unfortunately i dont have the body to suit :(

I looked at Simplicity's site, and couldn't find the patterns anywhere. Would you happen to have a link to where I could find them or something? ^__^;;

Mariks_Dragon
06-13-2004, 01:06 AM
There is a great site that has a lot of different patterns just type in what you want. it is WWW.Sewingpatterns.com. good luck

Raine
06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
There is a great site that has a lot of different patterns just type in what you want. it is WWW.Sewingpatterns.com. good luck

Wow, thanks. I actually did find a few patterns that would work, but I'd still rather see if I can find something to modify for it. Less work, you know? I need to have Dita done by August. >.<;

Jinyo
06-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Here's something you can try. See if you can find an appropriate jacket for the top half of it, then find a similar fabric and add the bottom half as though you're adding a big, long skirt, except it's open in front. That part should be pretty simple, just make sure you don't have any pleats or gathering where the skirt joins the top. Then add the collar. Neo's cassock in the Matrix sequels is similar. Have a look at my site, I have a buncha details on my Neo which may be helpful. I find that the top half is more complicated than the skirt half. If you find a big enough piece of fabric, you could even do the skirt as one piece.

faerieskater
06-16-2004, 11:52 PM
you could use 2 different patterns and just conjoin the 2 when cutting the fabric. So like get just a long sleeved shirt for the top, and then find a coat with long tails and conjoin them. Then you wouldnt have any seam lines and cept for where you want them at.

Raine
06-17-2004, 02:17 AM
Here's something you can try. See if you can find an appropriate jacket for the top half of it, then find a similar fabric and add the bottom half as though you're adding a big, long skirt, except it's open in front. That part should be pretty simple, just make sure you don't have any pleats or gathering where the skirt joins the top. Then add the collar. Neo's cassock in the Matrix sequels is similar. Have a look at my site, I have a buncha details on my Neo which may be helpful. I find that the top half is more complicated than the skirt half. If you find a big enough piece of fabric, you could even do the skirt as one piece.

Argh, that's the thing though. Dita doesn't really wear a jacket(despite me calling it a "trenchcoat," I couldn't really find any other words to describe it). It doesn't zip up or button up, as far as I can tell. o___x;

felicity869
06-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Get a collered dress pattern and alter the holy bejesus out of it. If you were able to magically find a collered dress on ebay or at a thrift store made out of apropriate fabric you could easily alter that but that would be nearly impossible.

PulseSync
06-26-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm cosplaying as Dyta for Anime Expo next week and finished the entire costume. I found a cheap Vinyl trench coat at Hot Topic ~_~ took off the sleeves and stiff'd the collar a bit( it already had a zip up front). The Boots I got off eBay from a company that goes by BootsUSA.com or something of that sort. They were $10 but the shipping cost more than the boots. I just cut one down so it would be a little past my ankle. A hair extention unless you plan on actually having a few strands longer than the rest can be taken from a wig and just tie it to your hair. the belts I made myself and I just cut strands of suade and got one of those make your own belt kits at Joanne's (also found at Michael's) and the black straps I just went to Joanne's and with the ribbon they had black leather strips and I cut the to the proper length then used vel-cro so I could attach them. I wouldn't reccomend my strap idea though because they tend to fall from time to time so your best bet would be to get some sort of stratchy black material and sew in the proper length so that you could just slip it on and it would stay...sorta like just the top rim of a sock I suppose ?_? if you need any help e-mail me (christmaswonderland@msn.com) I'm around

swan20
06-28-2004, 08:02 PM
trenchcoat???? when i made mine i went by the mangas and everything is just black so i didn't know about the inside...thanks (need to go and make a new one)x.