PDA

View Full Version : might as well, My Nuriko Costume

HyperrrMouse
06-10-2004, 06:18 PM
well, i had been being nervous and too insecure to post this, but i think really it would be a good idea to get opinions and advice. I think i will make another Nuriko costume at some point, likely another obscure but popular artbook image like the one of him in his armor. We'll see ^_^

This is the costume i was making:
http://www.l33tnoodles.com/mousepage/nuriko.bmp

So i had to style my first wig and work on it as i had time and money. I think it was a 9 month process. so here are links to the actual costume, the not so finished outdoors ones posted first:
Nuriko 1 (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=133435&password=56dc289b98f9f3f49c5dd171ea30db92&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)
Nuriko 2 (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=133432&password=56dc289b98f9f3f49c5dd171ea30db92&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)
Nuriko 3 (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=135293&password=56dc289b98f9f3f49c5dd171ea30db92&sort=1&cat=500&page=2)
Nuriko 4 (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=138489&password=56dc289b98f9f3f49c5dd171ea30db92&sort=1&cat=7804&page=48)

miaka2u
06-10-2004, 07:11 PM
It's a really well made costume, I'll say. o^.^o There are a few things that, if you don't mind me pointing out to you, could help to make the costume even better and more accurate.

First I don't believe Nuriko's sleeves are see-through like yours are. I like the look of it a lot, but to be a little more accurate you'd have to make the sleeves out of a different material. Also the wig is a little too bright for Nuriko's color and could probably use some bangs too. You, however, did a very good job with styling it. It's so hard to find the perfect wig... -_-

To end with a good note, I really love the way you made this costume. It looks like one dress, unlike some of the others I've seen who you can tell it's not one dress. Very nice work! ^-^ I can't wait to see your other Nuriko cosplay!

Ashe
06-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Personally I would have gone for something a little less orange and little more pink for the skirt, but color intepretation is always a strange thing with costumes.

My only big suggestions are wear-wise rather than costume wise; I'd try binding, since Nuriko IS technically supposed to be a guy. I would also suggest going a little overboard on the makeup. It's usually a good idea with any anime character, but particularly so with a drag queen like Nuriko.

Fatwetdog
06-12-2004, 06:14 AM
Nice work... way to go on making the trim! Did you do it yourself? I had a pain of a time finding trim for mine. My only comments are relatively small. I think the tension on your machine is off, because you're getting ripply seams, particularly on your purple shirt. It might be fixed if you pressed it.

hanazuke
06-12-2004, 09:13 AM
I like it alot! (and as a huge Nuriko fangirl, I tend to be rather picky) I do agree with afew of the suggestions given above, especially about the skirt color, but other than that, great job, the wig is especially well done!!

HyperrrMouse
06-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Thank you all muchly for the comments! Very helpful!

Wig bangs? good point, i made mine a bit too long and stylized, i do need to shorten up parts, thanks for noticing, cause i hadn't! ^_^ The sleeves, i know they aren't transparent, that was just a personal choice when fabric shopping ^^; Though i may well switch it to a more opaque one, as i lake a serger and even with various ways of sewing chiffon without one, the seems are still trying to run. Plus, in the long run it would be more accurate, as you stated, and not there solely to please my aesthetic.

I had contemplated binding, but since the amount of bandages required for me to get any semblance of flat makes my chest feel like it's bleeding(on the inside) i chose not to since this is one of his female outfits. However i agree that they should be flatter, so i will double bra it next time, and that will hopefully do the trick. I agree on the makeup too.

Yes, i had to hand paint the trim, i looked into buying for a long time, but then i whipped out my acrylics and attacked a ribbon ^^ You're are probably very correct on the tension thought. Hopefully when I get my own machine this won't be as much an issue. But thank you for suggestion on how to alleviate some of the problem!

Oh yes, and the skirt, it seems it is loved or hated^_^ I was actually rather shocked and disgusted by how difficult it was to find any kind of orange fabric. I found this on a discount post-Halloween sale shelf. And though i had vowed never to use lame, i fell in love with it, and there could be no other orange. I agree, it's too yellow of an orange, but i couldn't help myself, sorry!

Thank you all for the help! wonderful suggestions! you know how it is, you make a costume and then you often have trouble really "looking" at it and you miss important things. Thank you again for your help! This costume i am sure will continue to get better.

xie-chan
06-14-2004, 11:09 AM
First off, Miaka2u.. you said a lot of cosplayers you can tell it's more than one piece... but it is. It's one outfit, but several pieces.

To the person who commented on wig color. Unfortunately, there are only about 2 purples for wigs I've seen that anywhere near approach Nuriko's color.. The less neon one may have fit a bit better, but it's a bit dark. The hair's nearly impossible to do on your own and I don't think I've seen a dye to match the color so I think all in all I'd say the wig is alright..

To hyperrrmouse. It's a gorgeous costume. Really well made it would seem. The shirt might need to be pressed but that's not a big problem. The skirt color, as said before is a bit off. My biggest thoughts were the skirt's material was a little shiny... and you might want to go with a bit more makeup. You need a bit more for the camera anyhow.

The obi is gorgeous and I think you did catch the essence of the outfit.

I actually kinda like the sleeves as they are. Excellent costume

My Nuriko dress is jealous.