PDA

View Full Version : Eyeliner, Liquid versus pen

yukitoLeonheart
06-11-2004, 06:33 AM
I know there are many eyeliner threads, and I probably missed one about this, but does anyone else prefer liquid eyeliner to pens. I mean, even MAC, which is the most gorgeous unless you get the stuff from Clinique which I love (man I am gay -_-) can be annoying and not give you consistent eyecolor.

I honestly prefer liquid recently. It goes on faster, easier, and is more consistent.

mikazuki
06-11-2004, 10:03 AM
I think of page two is a thread about eyeliners. lol

I use a liquid eyeliner over a pencil, crayon or pen. I love the fact that there are many new vivid colors now available in liquid form but liquid does have its own drawbacks over the other forms so always use the right eyeliner for the job. ;)

JunJun
06-11-2004, 10:18 AM
My poor shaky hand can't ever put liquid on straight. I always end up twitching it somewhere. lol.
I use pencils, but i rarely go for the strong look that liquid provides. I usually use softer looks that only accent my costume.

Tsubomi-chan
06-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Being half-blind and unable to use conacts I have to do my eye make-up about two inches away from the mirror. That means pencil all the way, since it's a lot more forgiving and easy to put on... I reall like Wet&Wild, they have some really soft crayony ones that you can blend, make look almos-liquidy, etc.

archangeli
06-11-2004, 11:47 AM
If you have the money to spend - try out Bobbi Brown's Long Wearing Gel Eyeliner or Stila's Smudge Pots. It comes in a put and you have to use a brush to apply it (BB also makes one, called the Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush, but I know some ppl use MAC, etc.).

It looks and wears like a liquid, but the color is much richer and you can get right up into the lashline. I swear by this stuff.

Lancome also makes one called Artliner which I personally haven't tried but I hear good things about it.

megumibish
06-11-2004, 11:56 AM
I prefer liquid myself since it's soo much nicer to use. That and I can get the ultra thin line I want with it. I use pencil only a bit since it comes off no matter what I do, but if I do use it I use the maybelline one with the lil' smudger on the end. It's very soft and dark.

xie-chan
06-11-2004, 01:15 PM
I've never gotten a handle on liquid eyeliner. While it does look nice. I always put it on too thick. Or blink and smear it everywhere... yeah...

But I can do pencil eyeliner, so that's okay :)

Fatwetdog
06-11-2004, 01:25 PM
I always apply powder eyeliner with an eyeliner brush. You get the liquid-liner texture if you wet the brush, and you get a good powdery smudgy look if you put it on dry. There's just more control over it, so I like it best. Pencils always seem too sticky and cakey, so I only use them for the lower lid if I want to smudge and can't find the color I want in a powder. Liquid liners I don't like the texture of, or the shape of the included brushes, so I only use them if I can't find the color anywhere else. (Basically, I only use liquid liners from Urban Decay.)

megumibish
06-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Me I always look down as I apply liquid liner so I don't blink and smudge, and I only like the liners that come with an actual brush. The felt tipped ones go on too thin and the sharp felt ones that almay have are difficult to get a thin line with. Another tip is to always throw away old makeup since with liquid liners they tend to thicken and make it harder to get a good thin line. I use Loreal lineur intense.

Fatwetdog
06-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Oh yeah... and the head of the wigs/makeup dept at my school used to swear by sticking your tongue out while applying eyemakeup. It evidently makes you less likely to blink or twitch your eyes.

megumibish
06-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Yeah as I recall it relaxes the muscles around your eyes.

bipolarbunny
06-11-2004, 09:49 PM
i use a 7 dollar good quality fine point synthetic paint brush and dark charcoal grey eyeshadow that came with my estee lauder gift with purchase. dip brush in water and apply in a solid straight line or rub with fingers for smokey look.

why? because i'm a cheap ass! hahaha. that and my stupid eyelashes grow straight out, and thus i have to line all the way down to the roots of them to avoid "eyeliner, eyelashes, skin!" and i don't feel safe doing it with a pencil.

but mostly because i am cheap.

archangeli
06-11-2004, 10:05 PM
cheap - but it works :)

*Jibrielle*
06-20-2004, 04:16 PM
I like liquid eyeliner because it's easier to use and it's easy to take off, I would recomend the lancome artliner, It's a bit expensive but it's really good and it has a foam tip which is the best! :dance:

http://www.lancome.com/_singapore/bdd/jnew_display.asp?lg=en&cn=SG&product_id=146

kyandi-chan
06-21-2004, 01:58 AM
liquid eyeliner can get such a beautiful, sharp line...but i cant put on makeup worth of anything! angel did my makeup for the costumes that i needed makeup for (shes my cosplay makeup artist) and she'll help me from now on! ^^

psychobunnybear
08-15-2004, 03:39 PM
If you're looking for something that stays for hours with out smudging or smearing cake eyeliner works wonders.Its more expensive but it lasts forever.Physicians Formula offers both liquid and cake/poweder eyeliners with awesome staying power. ^-^

Whitefox
08-15-2004, 07:24 PM
I like liquid best. ^_^ I get pretty expensive stuff that's waterproof, but it's totally worth it because I get the best-looking eyes EVAR... It's much more dramatic than pencils and doesn't hurt when you press down hard. The only thing I dislike about it is that until you get the hang of it, it's difficult to apply, but even when it's smudged it can look kickass. So yeah. :bigtu:

xfallenangelx
08-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Dude, I buy cheapo 5 dollar liquid eyeliner from Sally's Beatuy supplies and I find it works fine ^^;;. I personally like the felt tip for liquid. I like pencil, because I like to line the inner rims of both upper and lower of my eyes and I can't do thatwith liquid lest I risk poking my eye out. The drawback of pencil is that it always ens up smearing and it looks like I just woke up from a nap XD
~Anji

Gren
08-16-2004, 08:57 AM
If I'm going for something subtle (with cosplay, this usuallu means I'm in a boy costume) I'll got for a pencil. If I want my eyes to REALLY stand out (Works best is your character has heavily accented eyes) It's liquid time. If I'm wearing make-up for photos or a formal even or whatever, liquid does it for me.

China-Lilly
08-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Liquid Eyeliner does give you great dramatic results but can be a bit tricky to apply. Buy one that comes with a brush and inkwell - but also buy an eyeliner brush, and dip that brush into the inkwell. I promise it will apply 10x easier using a proper brush rather than the applicator supplied. Always rest your elbow on something and start on the side you're not as good at (that would be the left side for right-handed people).

You can get similar effects by using a damp eyeliner brush and swirling it in eyeshadow. But keep the area of the e/s you use wet small, because some e/s when wetted will change texture and won't go back to the same texture when dry. You will need to pick up quite a lot of e/s for the line to imitate liquid liner. Loose powder eyeshadows (such as pigments) would be a good option. Mixing it with a drop of Visine will even make the glitter in loose e/s stay put.

If you're interested in creme liners like BB and Stila, but find them too pricey - I know you can get Indian eye kohl in pots from Indian grocery and belly dancing supply shops. I haven't tried this myself, as I have yet to locate a store, but the results are supposed to be similar to Stephane Marais intense eye kohl.

I avoid pencil eyeliners altogether unless I'm lining my inner rim. Because I'm Asian, pencils smudge on me super fast unless I set it with some form of powder.

chai_fiend
08-17-2004, 08:44 AM
i'm an idiot, liquid gets stuck in my eyes so i'm all about the pencils