PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone play the 3rd floor games??

Eurobeat King
06-11-2004, 05:54 PM
It's been a week, and I wanted to find out what everyone thought of the 3rd floor of the convention center, where they had the video-games n' such. Granted it wasn't good that the escalators were broken most of the weekend, and so people had to go up AND down on just one side.. :thumbsup: I went up there a few times to find cosplayers, and went inside the console-gaming room provided by GameStop a couple of times.

Makoto Arena Game: When I saw this, it reminded me of the scene in "Paycheck" where Ben Affleck was practicing his martial-arts using a staff, by hitting several colums when they lit up. Did anyone try this?

LaserX: I thought it was interesting to hit an entire room for a Q-Zar-style game, but I wonder how big it was when you actually play the game. I've played Q-Zar a few times, and it's fun if you have a lot of people on each team going at it.

video-games: This was an interesting part of the 3rd floor.. Kewl that they had 3 DDR machines (no ParaPara, tho..) and they had that 4-player beat-em-up Guilty Gear game which I hadn't seen before and looked interesting..
But I noticed that on Friday evening some of the games were shut down (early evening) and there were still a lot of people walking by. Then on Saturday, most (if not all) of the machines were corralled into one area, and there was a sign saying "Unlimited Play: noon to 6pm $10" (they also had one from 6pm-midnight) and I never saw that at a con before, where they put videogames into one section had charged people a flat fee to play all the DDR you wanted.. I saw people playing DDR, but there wasn't a big audience watching whoever was playing, except those who looked on OUTSIDE the gaming area since you had to pay to enter that area.. I guess it's not the same feeling showing off your mad DDR-skills if you don't have an audience up close watching you.. :lost:

So, just trying to see what people thought of the 3rd floor and A-kon's videogames this year..

FoxPhyre
06-11-2004, 06:07 PM
i only went upstairs 3 times the whole weekend... on friday it was as you said: some were down and the line for makoto was kinda big so i didnt wait around. my buddies didnt wanna play lazerX either so we left. saturday, all the machines were down and people were milling about in panic. and later saturday before the cosplay gathering, there was the evil pay to play area and the console gaming room was packed.. so i pretty much lost my desire to go up there anymore.... it was about useless in my opinion. except i kinda wanted to try out makoto in my mortal-kombat suit.. it would have been a funny picture.

Anna
06-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Me and my friends wanted to play DDR but the lines were to long and we had just spent the rest of are money on portraits.

Sephiroth-chan
06-11-2004, 07:06 PM
*holds up hand* We were guilty one of those times the escalators weren't working. They had us lining up for Yaoifest...and STOPPED the line just past the escalator...so they had us piling up into it. The "Emergency Stop" button was used for that...and from what I heard, other activities also had people doing the same lineup pile up resulting in the stopping of the Escalators.

Anakha
06-11-2004, 08:33 PM
well, my roomie and non cosplayer spent his mornings there

Xenocore
06-12-2004, 12:45 AM
My friend couldnt keep away...
i had to drag him out of there a couple times....
i had to tell him "there are other thing's to be done at a convention..."

but yeah it was alot of fun, to play against alot of other peopel you had just met and be like "Im going to kill you!" and not have it as a threat to someone :)
it's all fun and games :)

shin kurenai
06-12-2004, 02:19 AM
me and a friend played ddr on friday night

max300 barefoot is stupid :<<<

suikodee
06-12-2004, 02:53 AM
Uh... I've heard of people cutting their feet on the hard pads barefoot. That's a no-no, but then again, I've also heard of people commenting that playing barefoot is best. Probably for soft pads. I haven't seen anyone do max300 at A-Kon, although I would like to.

I only went to the 3rd floor a few times, but it wasn't for games, more for the panels and stuff. I disliked the charge once fee to get into this gaming area... what's the point? Arcade games are made for using up your pocket change or something, so that was kinda pointless to me. I did watch a few great DDR people. If I wasn't cosplaying I would've played as well. XD But I didn't spend too much time in the game area; I can play games at home.

Spin
06-12-2004, 06:28 AM
The games were cut off because of legal issues. My boyfriend was playing ddr and I didn't want to pay the fee so I sat there on the outside and talked with the arcade staff a little. There were legal issues with having the DDR machines on friday, and they had to be shut off from coin play operation, or they would get in trouble. The only way they could make it for people to actually get to play without the legal issues is having a fenced off area, and basicly you pay to walk in, and you 'don't pay' for games.

So in other words it was fenced off game area, or nothing at all. I think alot of people would have been VERY unhappy with nothing.

Dosu137
06-12-2004, 08:38 AM
i played, i played, i played. I SUCKED
Here is my Bar of how sucky i was at the games

DDR: very embarrissing but atleast i didnt make a terrible score
Soul Calibur 2 Tournament: Won1 Lost1 BARLEY! (Probably the best game)
Halo: Dont own an Xbox witch is why my team lost
Naruto2: What more can i say I lost my first round to a deadly Haku
Ninja gaiden: I loved that game makes me wanna own a Xbox
Guilty gear: I loved it
Makato: Personnaly i believe i outdid everyone
Laserx: personnaly i believe i made the worst score ever

Tenya Muyo
06-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Hmmmmm..... didn't go up there much. Traipsed around there a couple of time, but didn't really do anything. DDR, i can play localy and at home so i dogded that (that and i was cosplaying most of the time; a no-no for me) I did see some really good DDR skills on Sat. or Fri. night though (Max300 heavy; whoa.....) Just didn't feel motivated enough to play any of the other game either.

Ahhhhhhh, Makoto......... sadly i didn't play this year (and i'm hitting myself for skipping out on it) but I've played it at past cons. It's sooooo cool! It's like......... DDR ninja training. You can't rely on your eyes alone, you have to use hearing and speed. Just so AWSOME!! If he ever comes to your neck of the woods Cali-cosplayers, try it out! I think you will be most pleased, Daniel-san...... I mean.............*sigh* never mind.... ^_^;;

kirineko
06-13-2004, 02:37 AM
Euro: I was promised ParaParaParadise this year, but they DID NOT deliver. But they SWEAR they will have it next year. So, they better. Or I will complain again. It's the only game I can really play. haha

Wedge
06-13-2004, 03:30 AM
I was up there playing during the first 6-hour round (ya know, the one where the circuit blew out and two-thirds of the games weren't working >_<). I also camped the Mario Kart machine @ the GameStop room for seven races (stupid truck....)

My only complaints were the blow-out and that GameStop didn't have a Gran Turismo tournament.

Tenya Muyo
06-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Spin: What extactly was the legal issue with DDR? I don't really understand? What happened??

kyandi-chan
06-13-2004, 05:37 PM
i payed that crummy 10 bucks flat fee from 12 am to 6 am (i actually ended up not playing for that long because i love a crowd with DDR and I didnt get one...)

i had to strip off most of my xianghua costume to play and even then, i was so tired from cosplaying earlier. i did however, enjoy watching crappy graphics on the mortal kombat machine and trying to play an old-skool skating game.

ddr got soooooo repetitive. i like having to pay 75-1.25 per 4 songs. its fun and i can get a crowd. the whole 10 bucks pass thing was SUPER lame. and i mean, super lame.

I WANT PARA PARA DARNIT!!!!

Wedge
06-13-2004, 07:35 PM
The $10 bucks thing was to get around a bit of icky red tape. City apparently thought the con was trying to run an illegal arcade. Con had the paperwork, but couldn't produce it when the city asked for it. Apparently this way was legal... don't ask me how. The part that really steamed me was when they overloaded the circuit and three-quarters of the game area shut down >_<

JunJun
06-13-2004, 08:33 PM
yeah what was illegal was that they were running an "unlicensed" coin-op arcade. I can't believe A-kon didn't have the proper paper work, but whatever.
I thought it sucked that you had to pay $10 for 6 hours, because there are some of us who just want to pop in for a couple of games and leave again. I don't want to be pinned to the arcade because i blew $10 there. And i sure don't want to feel stuck for 6 hours. Bleh. I understand that its the only way for them to get around that legal issue, but it sucked for "casual" gamers.

Wedge
06-13-2004, 08:56 PM
...I can't believe A-kon didn't have the proper paper work...It wasn't that they didn't have it - the person with the paperwork wasn't there at the moment. From what I understand, the Kon did show the city the paperwork moments before the shutdown order, but the city didn't care.

Spin
06-14-2004, 04:10 AM
In other words..it was something that couldn't be helped, and the A-kon staff did what they could to have an Arcade actually there even. (thats why I said they could have had nothing at all.)

I imagine the reasoning for the 10.00 cover was to help pay for the machines. They do cost to rent or buy them. I'm not sure though, you'd have to check out the a-kon board and post to the staff there. I'm sure they would have all the details.

Sundance Kid
06-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Personally I did not play anything but Makoto and Air Hockey WHICH ROCKED!!!! ^_^ I was the Yuna doing badly and my sister (Butterfly Chii) was totally into the Makoto game! ^_^ Did anyone see us? I did not go into the arcade so I can't really comment on that situation....

kyandi-chan
06-14-2004, 01:33 PM
AIR HOCKEY WAS THE ****! OMG it rawked. i wanted to play more...i only played for a lil bit!

shin kurenai
06-14-2004, 01:33 PM
i am pretty sure the machines were put on freeplay + corral area because of the lack of proper operator's licenses on the machines.

tahiti
06-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Oh man.. my friend and I **LOVED** the Makoto thing. I bought at 6 game play thing.. but I didn't use it *sadness*. It was so much fun, and it definetely helped me relieve some of the stress I was feeling!

cutelilzombie
06-30-2004, 12:22 PM
i played games all day friday and spent saturday cosplaying. glad i got in all the air hockey & ddr i needed before the city got crabby. ^_^

ZakuKitty
06-30-2004, 10:26 PM
I played in the Naruto 2 tournament. I won the first round but lost the second time around. :bigtu:

Grit
07-03-2004, 02:30 AM
I was so into that Makoto thing.It was my first time playing.After a few more tries I got a perfect score on Level 3.^_^ I so happy. Anyway, the illegal Coin-Op thing sucked, If anyone saw me, I was the Wolfwood playing DDR with steel toe boots...Now that is hard.I got a few games of MK in.I didn't make the Melee tournement though, I thought I might've had a chance there.Well...I hope the escalators AND the city will be resolved next year.

Pincer
07-22-2004, 04:16 AM
I should've played Tekken up there in my King costume. That would've gotten a few chuckles.

Dai
07-29-2004, 05:52 AM
I wanted to play DDR but it's not like it would have been an intellegent decision on my part so maybe it's better that the DDR machines were insanely busy when I was there (Friday and we left early ;_; ). Can't imagine playing DDR in a Chinese dress would be that smart. Then again, I've never played DDR... ;___;

kirineko
07-30-2004, 01:44 PM
It was some legal issue with the hotel. I forgot the details, as it's been quite awhile since A-kon, but basically, the hotel had issue with the arcade machines per some agreement, and A-kon had to abide by their demands.

I actually like the freeplay idea. They run this on Tuesday nights at Speedzone in Dallas...pay a flat fee, play all the games you want, for as long as you want. It also means no game over, which is very important for me, because I suck. :F

Anyway, I'm sure all the kinks will be worked out next year, either between the hotel and A-kon, allowing the quarter-style play back in, or to at least make the free play better. And I hope they have ParaParaParadise! :F THEY PROMISED ME.

Dai_Katana
10-23-2004, 08:29 PM
i went and had fun. the Makoto thing was bad ass i played twice and it rocked!

Shera
10-24-2004, 08:08 PM
They didn't have the 10 dollar apalooza until Saturday. Friday afternoon, when I went, it was just out and open. You had to pay about a dollar for two DDR levels, though. :\ I thought that was pretty sleezy. The 10 dollar thing was stupid. I just wanted to walk around, and I ended up only playing one game when my friend paid for me.