PDA

View Full Version : Stretch Vinyl??????

Mako-san
11-27-2002, 03:51 PM
I was wondering if any of you have worked with Stretch Vinyl and is it really difficult? Also, have you ever found it cheaper than what i've been seeing around, the cheapest i've seen is $8.00 bucks a yard and higher.

Also(sorry i'm full of questions ;) ) how different is Stretch Vinyl than to Stretch Satin, I've seen some of this around, Is it that much of a difference from Stretch Satin and just Broque Statin?

Any helps is welcome!!!
Thankies

Mako-san!

Koumori
11-27-2002, 03:56 PM
I think $8 a yard is about the best you're going to do.

Stretch vinyl is stretch fabric with a flexible plastic coating on it, and so it is going to handle very differently than any other stretch fabric you may have dealt with - VERY differently than stretch satin.

Lightning Count
11-27-2002, 09:46 PM
I live in LA and they sell stretch vinyl in the LA Fashion District for exactly $5 a yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was stupid and went to a fabric store at a nearby mall and got the stretch vinyl for $10 a yard. I just should have been more decisive and gotten it in LA. Stupid, stupid stupid!!

Anyways, I have to tell you the truth and say that I have worked with vinyl AND stretch vinyl...............and it was the most frustrating sewing exoerience!!! I'm talking I was on the verge of tears frustrated. Who knows, maybe you won't have as much trouble as I did.

GOOD LUCK!! ^_^

Koumori
11-28-2002, 10:14 PM
It just requires a little bit of specialized equipment - I'm sure it's been covered extensively in other threads on this site; just search for "sewing vinyl."

Daitenshi
11-29-2002, 12:49 AM
watch out for cheap stretch vinyl!! That stuff can tear if it isn't sewn properly... and even if it was sewn well it can tear @_@
Sometimes paying a little bit more is safer. If you can, shop around.

Lightning Count
11-29-2002, 07:58 PM
Ah, you're right. My sewing machine isn't old but it has an old-fashioned look and doesn't have all that many sewing settings so it makes some of my sewing alittle difficult sometimes........>(

Mako-san
11-29-2002, 10:29 PM
Oh thank you so much for all the advice, I think i'm gonna skip on the stretch vinyal, I found an alternative that would work for my costume!!! Thankies!!!

Mako-san~Insignia Void~SakuraWinner

Peppermintstix
12-02-2002, 01:37 PM
well i know this much, if you aren't using a leather needle you're screwed. :)

peaseblossom
12-02-2002, 04:03 PM
>well i know this much, if you aren't using a leather needle you're screwed.

That and I heard it's a real bitch if you don't use fabric stabilizer.

MargauxZ
12-02-2002, 09:43 PM
Stretch Vinyl, $4 per yard. Habib fabrics. 39th street on 8th avenue in NYC. I did my UFO Princess Valkyrie "Sanada" out of it. ^_^.

makio
12-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Does it come in yellow? Eventually (or probably as my last costume), I'd like to cosplay as Jing; so I'd need to make a yellow trenchcoat.

Carmila
12-05-2002, 12:17 PM
At JoAnn's here in Atl I found metalic stretch vinyl for 10 a yard plus 25 off. Now all I have to do is find something to make out of it, because I want to cosplay something with this fabric so bad!

Hitomi chan
12-05-2002, 03:20 PM
I have a question: do you think that stretch vinyl is perfect for asuka's plugsuit? or do you think that lycra works better?

Rethul
12-05-2002, 03:28 PM
I say lycra just because that's what I envisioned the plug suits to be made out of.

Koumori
12-05-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Hitomi chan
I have a question: do you think that stretch vinyl is perfect for asuka's plugsuit? or do you think that lycra works better?

I don't think it shows up on screen as being that shiny. A thick heavy lycra should work.

HeXuS
12-05-2002, 04:29 PM
i always thought the plug suits to be made of latex, it fits the body more like a plug suit would, just buy a red catsuit, and paint on the proper lines, then add the hardware peices that stick out, but latex is a big high on the cost side.