PDA

View Full Version : Anime Iowa!

Pages : [1] 2

The_manhamster
06-13-2002, 10:52 PM
It may be a little early (it's not till August) but am I the only one who's gonna go?

...errr... yeah... Woo...

Cait
07-26-2002, 03:32 PM
I went last year and if I can scrounge enough money I'm going this year with a group of about four... AX sorta sucked up my life savings ^_^;

~Cait

Yukai
08-04-2002, 09:44 PM
If Cait goes I am going! *~huggles sister~* I really want to go, but there is that whole school thing....WAIT, since when do I care??!!? >.<

Heh, pardon my spastic self.

Yukai
08-07-2002, 08:38 AM
I think 2 other people are going with us....if we go. So 4 from down here.

lamross
08-13-2002, 02:38 PM
i am going as folken with a group of seven, including someone going as totoro!

Cait
08-22-2002, 12:37 AM
FOLKEN!?!? *gawk* I'm sooo looking for you!

Yukai
08-22-2002, 04:48 PM
So close!! We're almost there!! *~dances around~* erm....*~continues getting costumes ready~* Bah to Lulu's hair! >.<

Lenne
06-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Me and some friends are going - not sure how many though...

ParnsAngel
06-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Folken! Sweet! I love Folken ^_^
I'll be at AI, along with a smattering of people from the Bloodlust skit at Acen.
Can't wait! ^^

Rikku X-2
06-11-2003, 03:57 PM
I'll be there! I'm cosplaying Rikku again, but I'm fixing my costume up so it looks better. I'm gonna have a Lenne and (hopefully) a Yuna too

CuteButDeadly
06-11-2003, 11:40 PM
I'm going it's going to be my 4th year ^_^ Ah o so many memories.

nekhochan
06-12-2003, 10:11 PM
I am going, for the 4th year now. I actually have sentimental investment in this con. it was my first anime con, and it is where I met my boyfriend of almost 2 years now. okay, everyone together...AWWWWW!

ParnsAngel
06-12-2003, 11:05 PM
*chimes in* Awwwwwwwwww!!! That is definitely adorable!

More reasons to love AI ^__^

Gates-of-Time
06-13-2003, 01:39 AM
I will definalty be there. It was so fun last year.
Still waiting to hear back though on our perfprmance there.. not sure where it will be at or when.

We have to all get together for a "cosplay.com" photo!

*hugs*

Andrea

Amethyst Angel
06-15-2003, 01:28 AM
Me going! Me going too! (In spite of the fact that I don't have a job yet... -_- But I'll find SOME WAY to get there!)

I'm going to be in a Hellsing group with a couple of my friends. I may also bring my Lady Chris from Suikoden 3 costume, as I've been dying to wear it ever since I've gotten it finished. (I also have an Ifurita costume I've made but have never worn to a con. *sigh* That's the problem when you have more costumes than cons to go to. For most people, it's usually the other way around.) -__-

Smileybaby
06-16-2003, 01:47 AM
oh i will be going with like 6 friends it should be great fun ^_^ i am makin some new costumes although i know i will end up only wearing my hellsing costume x.x im too attached to it but anywayss, it hope its cool! fun fun

Cait
06-16-2003, 10:13 AM
You're bringing a small army as well? I think we're going to really test the limit of our two hotel rooms this year.

A cosplay.com gathering would be great! ...I just wish the lighting was better there. That hotel has about three ok photo-op spots.

Rikku X-2
06-16-2003, 12:27 PM
I know, I despise the Hotel (after having to spend a whole weeked at a vocal competition in that place anyone would) but we must must must get a cosplay.com photo, I love semtimental things like that....

(please note that I am crazy)

ParnsAngel
06-17-2003, 12:31 AM
Group photo would be great, I'd love to meet more people! That and I missed the one at Acen...*sniff*

grandis
06-17-2003, 08:54 AM
I'll be there, of course. :)

Costumes on tap:

Twilight Suzuka from Outlaw Star
Yomi from Azumanga Daioh
Lenneth Valkyrie from Valkyrie Profile
Suzuka from Angelic Layer
Natsuki from Hyper Police
Pirotase from Lodoss War

Nemo will have

Ruka from Utena (if he gets new hair)
Samurai Jack from Samurai Jack
Ashram from Lodoss War

We'll be doing a few cosplay panels as well. I'm sure Elizabeth Sloane will also have some to announce later, but here's what they've got me scheduled in for

A Fan's View Panel (with Kevin Lillard): A virtual look at Anime conventions across the country. Photos!

Costuming from Concept to Cosplay: A sort of documentary on how Nemo and I construct a costume from start to finish.

Nemo will also be doing a panel on cel painting, and it looks like I'll be hosting the Anime Iowa cat ear panel.

Spiky Mochi will be doing his hard costuming (as in working with hard materials) panel again, and that's worth seeing.

So, here's hoping to seeing lots of you there!

Grandis

Amethyst Angel
06-18-2003, 01:17 AM
Ooh. Grandis! I must bow to your mad ninja cosplay SKILLZ...

I believe I saw you at last AnimeIowa in your Lenneth costume. It kicked at least 50 different types of ass. Very impressive.

I'm hoping I can make it down to Anime Iowa again this year, as it's one of the nicer cons I've been to (and seems to have a higher proportion of copsplayers amongst its numbers.) I had to miss out on the cosplay panels last year. -_-

Any idea on what day (days) they'll be held this year?

(I was the "braless Anthy" at last year's con, btw. I'm hoping I can attend this year's AI as Lady Chris from Suikoden 3. Provided I can figure out an easy way to get a suit of armor over to the hotel...*sigh*)

Moonie Padfoot
06-18-2003, 11:44 PM
hey. This will be my first con. I was wondering if anybody knows if there are any other cons in or near Iowa?

Amethyst Angel
06-19-2003, 12:07 AM
Anime Detour (http://www.animedetour.com) is a new con which is slated to happen in the Twin Cities in March 2004. And of course, there's Anime Central in Chicago. (And a couple of cons in Canada...somewhere...)

Moonie Padfoot
06-19-2003, 12:08 AM
Thanks lots! ^.^

ParnsAngel
06-20-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by grandis
Pirotase from Lodoss War

Nemo will have

Ruka from Utena (if he gets new hair)
Samurai Jack from Samurai Jack
Ashram from Lodoss War

Oh wow! Pirotess and Ashram?! My friend was hoping to get a Pirotess done in time for AI and was lamenting the lack of Ashrams!! Thats great!

I'm going to be bringing my Deedlit again, I'll sooooo have to see you and get pictures! When are you wearing your Lodoss costumes?

^_______^

Ice dragon
06-23-2003, 05:09 PM
I will be there!
And I am coming from texas for it^_^;;
Someone special you see~~^_^~~
She is going as Aeris, and I am going as Vincent^_^

grandis
06-24-2003, 11:10 AM
AA: Thanks for the compliments on Lenneth.

ParnsAngel: Those will be our cosplay suits this year, as they involve a lot of make up and will be hard to wear. Catch us before or after the cosplay!

I don't yet know when the panels will be, but as soon as I do, you guys will know.

Grandis

DuoMaxwell
06-24-2003, 03:30 PM
How many Cosplayers are in Iowa. Im in Orient and if I can go to Anime Iowa ill either have :

Human InuYasha
Vincent Valentine from FF7

ParnsAngel
06-26-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by grandis

ParnsAngel: Those will be our cosplay suits this year, as they involve a lot of make up and will be hard to wear. Catch us before or after the cosplay!

Yknow....thats so funny...my friend and I were thisclose to entering our Deedlit and Pirotess costumes in the cosplay! 2 Lodoss skits in one night, how crazy would that be *lol*

We'll definitely have to catch you around the cosplay! Sounds like you have awesome costumes ^^

newmyu
06-30-2003, 02:19 AM
I'm going to try to go to Anime Iowa. It'll be my first con/first time cosplaying.

Hoping to get a Kino Makoto high school uniform together by then.

I just want to go to a con sooo bad. And my husband wants to dress up too, now! *l* He's considering doing something from Advance Wars. o.o!

:)

ranma-kun
07-04-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm attending anime Iowa, and with me I'm bringing 8-10 friends!! The key to this is that we will mostly not be cosplaying. Me and one or two others. Not sure what yet, but I'll post as soon as we're sure.

Strawberry
07-05-2003, 08:45 PM
I should be there. ^_^ I'll be bringing KOS-MOS with me, surely... Additionally, I'll be cosplaying Rinoa with a friend who'll be Squall. (I swore never to do a Rinoa costume, but I gave in. ^_^) Probably will bring a few other costumes too, but I'm not sure which.

erikadoor
07-07-2003, 02:36 AM
Erika here.

It'd be silly for me not to attend, especially since I'm moving in August to a location even closer to AI [and wow....it'll be five years now....]. Photoshoots organized in the central fountain area would be lovely, as then I'll be able to join in [that's where the artists' alley is being held...], but we'll see what happens.

Frankly, I've got no bloody clue as to what costumes I'm bringing. Any suggestions?

Erika Door
http://www.erikadoor.com

Ali
07-07-2003, 11:58 PM
I'll definitely be going with an army of people. I'm bringing at least five costumes... I believe.
(And that's so weird that... *goes blank and forgets name so stares at screen hoping it will magically be typed then gives up and continues*... well, whoever you are, are going as Folken, in a group of 7 with a Totoro, because last year, we had a group of 7 with a Folken and a Totoro... spooky.)
Anyway, I'll probably, as usual, be trapped in the Dealer's room the entirity of the con, so drop by and say hi! I wish I could do more to celebrate my 1 year anniversary into the convention world... maybe you all can give me pocky. That sounds good. ^_^

DuoMaxwell
07-17-2003, 01:47 AM
Id love to go but dunno if im gonan be able to.

Yukai
07-18-2003, 06:03 PM
I will be attending Anime Iowa this year. I hope we do have a little cosplay.com get together, the one at AX03 was quite impressive to say the least.

Ayana
07-18-2003, 07:25 PM
If I'd known about AI earlier, then I'd go...but I'll only have 1, maybe 2 costumes complete by then and will be trying to save every possible cent for Anime Reactor in October -.-;

Yukai
07-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Lol. I understand. I am afraid that between my class fees, AX, and AI I will be a very poor person come this September. Yet I wouldn't have it any other way. ^.~

I'm still not sure what costumes to bring to AI...

Cait
07-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Me either! Whatever I have, I'll wear, I guess. It's a rather relaxed con.

Moonie Padfoot
07-20-2003, 12:06 AM
I have too many costumes and not enough days to wear them!!! Not to mention all of my Commissioned works ^.^
Watch for the ghetto-fied Zidane and Garnet costumes. Not to mentioned the even more Ghetto-fied Tifa gone turk(with trenchcoat) and kairi... thoughts, anyone?

grandis
07-22-2003, 10:23 AM
Well, we've almost got Ashram finished. Nemo was working on the sword, which we've lovingly nicknamed "Shit Kicker", last night, baking that sculpey.

As for me, Pirotase's ponytail goes on this weekend, and that's the end of the hair/ears combo. Next up, putting the modified bodice with new improved darts, onto the corset. Then I take a break from elf chick to sew Ashram's cape.

I'm glad we gave ourselves a couple of months for these suits.

Grandis

Moonie Padfoot
07-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Well at least I can say that my Kingdom Hearts Kairi costume is finally ALMOST finished ^.^ (yay)! I'm sooo excited! 'Tis my first con after all.

SohjiroX
07-23-2003, 12:37 PM
I'm going to try and go to this one since I am going to meet someone there, hopefully he's going, but if I go, my injured Van is giong to show again but this time I am giong to fix it up a bit more. maybe Muraki but I know battle royal will be there if I go.

Cait
07-23-2003, 01:32 PM
You're thinking of coming to Iowa?! Sweet! *spontanious glomp*

Note to people on this thread: Anyone know what you're actually going to cosplay? It would be cool to see some groups and gatherings this year.... along side a cosplay.com gathering, of course. How would Saturday be for people? Mid afternoon? I'm not sure when Masquerade practices start.

(edited because I can't spell)

SohjiroX
07-23-2003, 03:07 PM
hmm so long as I can be able to find this con first I have alot of cash thanks to my 21 bday, and I am wanting to go to an out of state con since I wont be able to make it to any big ones, and I am trying to find someone at this con, thanks for the glomp, this is a big maybe I was supposed to hit shoujo con but cant. but if I hit this one its a miracle.

Guilty
07-24-2003, 12:04 AM
I'll definately be going with seven others in tow (a few of which will be cosplaying). This will be a double first for me, both going to a con and cosplaying, but I'll be there as Demon Eyes Kyo from Samurai Deeper Kyo. So close to being done!

squeaky
07-25-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm going with a bunch of close friends, and our local anime club SPAMM is going to have a bunch of members going.

My friends and I are going to do a Samurai Shodown group.
I'm Nakoruru, and we have Galford, Ukyo, and Genjuro, and possibly the big guy with the eyepatch can't remember the name right now...

You may remember us from last year..we're the mustard people.

The tape from last year is so incredibly entertaining and funny. If you get a chance track us down and we'll show you, yourself or friends or stangers licking dijonaise off of chris or aleasha..

SohjiroX
07-25-2003, 10:28 PM
sadly i cant make it, funds are cut way to close to animagic, sorry everyone, maybe next year I think will be best.

ParnsAngel
07-26-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Guilty
I'll definately be going with seven others in tow (a few of which will be cosplaying). This will be a double first for me, both going to a con and cosplaying, but I'll be there as Demon Eyes Kyo from Samurai Deeper Kyo. So close to being done!

ooh ooh! You're going to be Kyo!!! Waaah, I wish I had time to bring my Yuya!! ;_;

I can't wait to see you though ^^

Miyazawa
07-28-2003, 05:23 PM
I'll be there. As White Mage Yuna and Yukino Miyazawa. I did her for ACen. I would like to pull together a Gundam Seed, but I think funds might be a tad low.

Moonie Padfoot
07-28-2003, 05:25 PM
ooooh. I'm making a white mage robe for my best friend going as garnet... they're just soo cool!

erikadoor
07-28-2003, 10:41 PM
Erika here.

Considering no one seems to handle these sorts of things unless they're anal or it's too late, how about we schedule a cosplay.com photoshoot for noon on Saturday? People who are only going Saturday can attend, anyone in the Masquerade has plenty of time to prepare after this, and most importantly, I can attend as it's early enough in the day I can ask someone to watch my table for a few minutes. The best spot to meet is in the central fountain area, and good shots are available there as well.

I believe my costume schedule is going to go as follows:
Friday: Rinoa Heartilly from Final Fantasy VIII. This may be her dance version or her normal outfit, depending on what I feel like wearing....could do both actually.
Early Saturday: Garnet from Final Fantasy IX [long-haired version].
Masquerade: secret.

I'd like to do Angel from KoF or Juclesia from Magna Carta, but the AI people are a bit uptight about "skimpy" costumes and I don't want to bring anything they wouldn't approve of.

Then again, I might finish my Princess Sarah costume from 8-bit Theatre on a whim and wear that Sunday. Who knows?

Erika Door

Moonie Padfoot
07-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Wheee! *sob* photo shoot!!!! I want to be there! so cool! I think we should do it!

grandis
07-29-2003, 08:34 AM
I'll try to make the photo shoot, but a lot depends on when they've scheduled my panels.

Pirotase is a skirt away from being done. She looks pretty spiff. We'll be taking photos of her and Ashram hopefully this week before I head off to my teacher workshop.

Grandis

Cait
07-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Noon on Saturday? Sounds good.

Dragon Sama
07-31-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm going! YAY!

Dragon Sama
07-31-2003, 10:22 PM
oops posted again my bad

Moonie Padfoot
07-31-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm sitting here wearing my Zidane tail, and getting ready to finish up the leather straps on the vest. I'm looking foreward to seeing everybody at the convention, and I hope the photoshoot goes well- I will be there in my Zidane costume!

Dragon Sama
08-02-2003, 01:29 PM
I am going with 3 other friends, all as cast members of Ah Megami Sama ^.^ It is going to be great! I heard Pocky Mkan will be there! Mmmmmm.... pocky..... *salivates* ANYWAYS who is going to do the Hall Costume Contest instead of of stage, and vise versa? Why?

Dragon Sama
08-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Erm, what time is the photoshoot?

Amethyst Angel
08-02-2003, 02:15 PM
ANYWAYS who is going to do the Hall Costume Contest instead of of stage, and vise versa? Why?

Well, I'm gonna try for the Hall Costume Contest this year, as I don't really have a good idea for a masquerade skit (and even if I did, I wouldn't feel like sitting in a sauna-hot green room for three hours with a full suit of foam armor on.)

Ya know how it is...

grandis
08-02-2003, 09:24 PM
I'm ready. Pirotase and Ashram are done. All the other costumes are packed.

Okay, sure, I still have to pack them, and I still have to plan my panels.

But the suits are done. Yes!!!

Grandis

erikadoor
08-03-2003, 02:57 AM
Erika here.

Around these parts, we like to think the word "noon" describes 12:00 p.m. on any day, including a Saturday, which is the day the photoshoot is on.

In case you didn't bother looking three posts up.

Erika Door

Menchi
08-03-2003, 05:31 PM
if i can scrape together the money...woud anyone have room for 1 more person in their room? i i dontkwo for sure being alot has to be determined yet...but i wanna go..alot

Catboi Blues
08-03-2003, 11:42 PM
This will be my second year attending. Things should be fun to say the least. I wonder what sort of fan-service acts I'm going to be asked to do this time around. I have some new costumes lined up, but they're all secret. I just can't wait for the AM group. That and DDR.

isisdj
08-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Im going for sure!! but....I still need chii *sobs*

=^_^=

Moonie Padfoot
08-05-2003, 03:03 PM
It's my first year going (as I said) and I have absolutely no idea for a skit, so me and Sparks are just going for the hall costume contest.

Kamisama
08-08-2003, 10:01 AM
I'm going with Cait and Yukai. If they can still tolerate me that is. *sweatdrop* I'll be going as Allen one day. Hey Folken! You and I should cosplay the same day. Maybe that's a little odd, but then again it's me we're talking about here.

Aki Ame
08-08-2003, 08:51 PM
I got an email from a self-proclaimed "insider" saying that the game room was eliminated this year? Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, as this is my first con ever, I don't really understand the Masqurade. (sp?) If they only give you 60 seconds or whatever, is there really time for a skit? I'm pretty confused about this.

Also, how many costumes on average do most people make for a single convention? My group all made 3 a peice, but I wonder if we took on too much....::looks nervously at the many unfinished costumes laying around::

Thanks for any reply, and I can't wait to see you all there!

Cait
08-08-2003, 09:54 PM
No idea about the games.

Yes, it seems they're doing the 60 second thing. Your thoughts on it are my thoughts as well.

For this convention? Two or three costumes. Four if you have a different one for the Masquerade.

nekhochan
08-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Alrighty, noon sounds wonderful for the photoshoot. I will be in that area anyhow, doing volunteer work as a facepainter. If there is any doubts on what people want to attend, they have posted a tentative scheduale of all the events on their website. Check it out, they have quite an awesome weekend planned for us!

Dragon Sama
08-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Snifff...... will someone please tell me when the photoshoot is? Saturday at noon where? I am a bit confused, I cant find any information about that on the anime iowa website >.<

Hey! Just finished my Belldandy wings, they look great! So I guess I will see everyone there, remember to spot me and say hello ^^ You can't miss me. Just look for the wings :angel:

I love you all!

Cait
08-10-2003, 12:41 AM
It wouldn't be on the site, it's our own unofficial thing. All of us posters here at cosplay.com plan to meet at noon on Saturday in the "central fountain thing" as erika put it. It's easy to find. Usually all the artist tables are there. The glass side of the elevators is here next to a small fountain. This region is also depressed compared to the rest of the floor and has a large skylight over it providing great lighting for our pictures.

Example (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=9014&password=&sort=2&cat=500&page=1)

These guys are in this exact area. See the lights on the elevator? And that little pool of water behind them? There.

Dragon Sama
08-11-2003, 02:23 AM
Thankyou, Cait!

Great. I'll be there! :japan:

Amethyst Angel
08-12-2003, 11:11 AM
*Sigh.* Just had two people bow out of our party. Don't you hate when that happens so close to a con? -__-

Welp, I guess this means we've got room for a couple more people in our hotel room (if anyone wants it, and wants to help us pick up the tab for the room.) Anyone interested? (Preferably someone who's good at putting on makeup, as I don't wear it all that often and could use some help with it.)

squeaky
08-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Hey A. Angel!

You licked mustard off of my friend Chris!

I was taping.....I got it from a really good angle, it's hysterical!

I saw the thing you wrote about it in your con report! That was funny too, scrictest regard for taste indeed...how did it taste anyway? I hate mustard.

squeaky
08-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Oh hey, the game room thing. I heard about that too. I heard that instead of console games, that they are going to have arcade games. Which sounded cool, until I heard that they will be PAY machines. That sucks, so as usual we'll be bringing some console systems to brighten everyone's day! Maybe we'll even have our own tournament. *not a party though...we didn't register for a party (rolls eyes)*

Amethyst Angel
08-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Hey A. Angel!

You licked mustard off of my friend Chris!

I was taping.....I got it from a really good angle, it's hysterical!

I saw the thing you wrote about it in your con report! That was funny too, scrictest regard for taste indeed...how did it taste anyway? I hate mustard.

Um, actually, the girl who licked mustard off your chest was my friend Amber. (I don't like mustard either. Bleh.)

I don't know why you'd have to register for a party. (Seems to me the best parties are always the ones that just kinda happen by themselves. *shrug*)

Dragon Sama
08-14-2003, 01:37 AM
Am. Angel. "Menchi" is DYING for a room. I'll om her for you I hope thats alright ^^

Cait
08-17-2003, 08:26 PM
One week left!

Amethyst Angel
08-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Am. Angel. "Menchi" is DYING for a room. I'll om her for you I hope thats alright ^^

Sure. That's alright.

Menchi
08-17-2003, 10:00 PM
only prob right now...is i may not have the funding its stil up in the air ^^:;; why me why me.... otakon hurt my mondy but not givin up yet ^^;;;

Dragon Sama
08-18-2003, 01:34 AM
*jumps up and down* :bouncer:

Amethyst Angel
08-19-2003, 01:00 AM
Okay, so this Cosplay.com Saturday photoshoot. It's a definite, eh? (The reason I want to know is because I talked a friend into wearing one of my costumes for the shoot. A very hot, heavy, complicated costume of a character he knows nothing about. As such, I doubt I'll be able to get him to wear it for more than a half-hour, tops. So timing is of the essence here.) Will the photographing be taking place EXACTLY at noon, (or will everyone just be gathering and milling about at that time?) Who's going to be taking the pictures? And is this something we'd have to run by the convention staff to get their permission for?

Just wondering...

Dragon Sama
08-19-2003, 01:24 AM
""... is this something we'd have to run by the convention staff to get their permission for?""I dont think we need definate permission, I mean we are just getting together to take pics.

""Will the photographing be taking place EXACTLY at noon, (or will everyone just be gathering and milling about at that time?) ""
To my understanding, it is hard to tell if everyone will actually show up right-on-the-dot if you know what I mean ^^ I think we will all gather around then.

""Who's going to be taking the pictures?"" We all are :dance:

An update on my costumes. Friday: Mogette the church Moogle, long white dress, the ears, the works ^^ ... Sat: Belldandy. 4 days left, are you ready?! :bigtu:

.... do you think the game room will have DDR? :bouncer:..

Cait
08-19-2003, 12:07 PM
The woman who runs the cosplay and does most of the cosplay panels walks around and judges what she likes. She's a craftmanship fan, really. Last year I'm pretty sure a girl who did a character from Clover won... some CLAMP character with metal wings. Really well done. I'm pretty sure she does this all three days. The pictures of the top three winners are framed on the registration table last thing on Sunday, usually. She's easy to spot as she caries around a digital camera and a notepad usually. Check the attached photo for a closer look. She also will take closeup shots of your costume and will ask questions so it's not as though she's real disguised. She usually attends with her husband who also cosplays, but she's been ill these past few years and might not be there this year. I have not heard.

We're to meet at about noon. The picture taking should start about 12:10 and continue until people want to leave. We all will take the pictures.

grandis
08-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Hey! That woman you are discussing, Cait, is Elizabeth Sloane. The year before my husband, Nemo, was the hall costume judge. It varies from year to year.

What impresses? It really varies from judge to judge, but you're right, Elizabeth is a craftsmanship fan.

She is planning on attending this year. She had an operation, and is doing a lot better.

BTW: costume panels...

Hard Costuming--I'm not sure of the time. Spikey Mochi will talk about working with plastics and the like.

Fan's View--Also not sure of the time. Kevin Lillard is a guest this year, and will be talking about his sight, on which he takes photos of cosplayers.

Cosplay Across the USA--10:30 Saturday. I'm gonna talk about some of the things I saw at conventions this past year.

From Concept to Cosplay--2ish Saturday. Nemo and I will walk you through how we constructed Ashram and Pirotase. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss $3 bucks good bye. No really, it's free.

Cat Ear Making: 9 am Sunday. Make your own AI cat ears!!!

Anyway, we'll see you guys in a few short days! BTW, the panel schedule updated on AI's website as of August 6th is not correct, so don't plan with it.

Grandis

Amethyst Angel
08-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Look forward to seeing you there! (Not looking forward to seeing the look on my friend Jared's face when he sees all the crap I plan on stuffing into his car and bringing with us. 90 percent of which is costume-related.)

Nope. I don't think he's going to be all that happy....

Dragon Sama
08-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Ahem, last minute question. Is this a really small con? I mean it doesnt matter to me, I just would like to know what to expect.

Cait
08-21-2003, 12:22 AM
Quite small. Quite. Very casual and... uh.. intimate so to speak. Usually, that is.

Dragon Sama
08-21-2003, 12:29 AM
Oh ok... so the masquerade is probably like , 40 people total huh

Beverly
08-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Woot. Late. ^^ But myself and my best friend will be there! See everyone tomorrow!

Dragon Sama
08-21-2003, 04:36 PM
OoOo Beverly I like your Sailor Moon wig, very realistic indeed! ^^

So the convention is tomarrow... I can't wait and yet its going to go by so fast. I see myself thinking about it in like 5th hour class on Monday. Oh boy oh boy. See you all there, 24 hours. So close yet so far away....

grandis
08-22-2003, 03:16 AM
Well, the con has informally begun. Saw lots o' people carting costume bits into the hotel tonight.

Interesting costume news: I'm a big fan of what Mochi is planning to put in the masquerade, so woohoo! my fan girl cravings will be satisfied.

Elizabeth and Gerald bought NO costumes and instead bought a Japanese houseguest. That in itself is eerie and spooky. Elizabeth says it'll make for a nice change. :)

I'll be hauling about 3 carloads of stuff to the hotel tomorrow, mostly, you guessed it, costumes.

Well, if any of you see me, in costume or out, say hi. Out I'm pretty inocuous.

Tomorrow night I'll probably wear Lenneth first (so Nemo can take her home Saturday morning--you try two sets of armor with a Hyundai Elantra!) and most likely Natsuki of Hyper Police second.

Saturday? Twilight Suzuka, Juri (replaced the Angelic Layer suit which I wore to Wizard World 'cause Nemo got a new Ruka wig), and about 4 o'clock becoming Pirotase.

I may fit Yomi in, or I may save her for Sunday.

So, see you there? Yeah. :)

KnivesMoFO
08-24-2003, 05:05 PM
What did everyone think of the con? I personally enjoyed myself a bunch.....

Oh, if anyone got a rose handed to them, drop a line on here... I wanna see how far my roses reached across the land... :D

grandis
08-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Hey. I'm back home after my AnimeIowa experience.

First off, much kudos to Erika for taking best in show. She looked lovely and I'm very happy for her.

Next up--met many cool costumers, and talked to a couple of folks a lot. I'm really pleased that I had a chance to get a good look at what Amethyst Angel does and was VERY impressed by her and her work, and I'm hoping to steal a few tricks from her.

Also really enjoyed Beverly and her work, especially her very detailed and pretty Princess Serenity dress.

One of the biggest problems in the world at a masquerade is that there aren't enough awards to go around. BTW, I am SORRY, winners! It is LAME that the only thing you get this year is a certificate. I had a conversation with the lovely Lynda who helps organize our usually quality show, and things were sort of Twilight Zone this year, so you got screwed. If you want, I'll tell you who to complain to. ;)

I had a good time costuming until the masquerade. The Valk armor was well received, and comfier in the halls than I would have guessed. Ruka and Juri were fine as well, although Juri tells me weight must be lost. Samurai Jack looked really well, and I was pleased. I turned Yomi into Sakaki, and was happy for some comfortable shoes. Twilight Suzuka was fine too. I didn't feel like Natsuki on Sunday, so she didn't get worn.

I want to apologize to folks who wanted pictures of Ashram and Pirotase. It took an hour and a half to get into the suits, most of that time to put me in make up. We then spent 4 hours in the suits during the masquerade unable to sit down, and in my case in ridiculously high heels. It was pretty unbearable, actually, and did nothing for my disposition. An added factor was that our timing for food at the con with our panel obligations was bad, and so we hadn't eaten since lunch.

After the masquerade, our priority was getting out of the suits and out of pain, and eating some dinner. So we didn't stick around for papparazzi. Further, Pirotase will have to undergo some serious reconstruction due to make up scarring of the main suit, and won't be coming to Anime Reactor. I just don't have the heart to do it right now. But you can see the suits on line here, at Kevin's site, and you can pretend you got the photo yourself.

Phew! With the exception of masquerade agony, the con was a good time. We had a nice new costume panel called Cosplay Show and Tell which was neat. I really liked seeing how other people work.

As for the future: Pirotase and Ashram have burned us out a little bit. We're going to spend some time working on easier more comfortable suits, entering cosplays with simpler fare for a bit. I don't know what it will take for us to make another complicated high end suit, because even though we can, I'm pretty sure it's not worth the pain, frustration, cash, and lack of pay off with judges.

Winning isn't really that important. Except when you've been on your feet in huge spiky heels for 7 hours. That seems to change everything. :) So I want to be able to go back to my affable self, and not worry about such things in comparative comfort.

Nice work, costumers all!

Grandis

KnivesMoFO
08-24-2003, 07:17 PM
*drools* I loved your guys' costumes... Very well crafted! I can understand your plight with standing around for hours waiting for the Masquerade... It was silly for us to be there at 6, and not have the thing start til 9... It was crazy.

Yeah, I was the wolfwood in the "Best Group" winner... I heard that we were supposed to get prizes, then felt bad when all we got was certificates... Eh.. there's always next year, right?

Amethyst Angel
08-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Hiya, Grandis! Glad to hear you made it home safely! (I hope EVERYONE did...)

Upon getting home I was promptly glomped by my cat Sunny, who is sitting on my lap right now and is insisting she will not move until I give her a good ear-scratching. It's hard to do that and type at the same time, so if there are any typos, I apologize...

Grandis, sorry I didn't get to take pictures or see your Ashram and Pirotase costumes close-up. I'm sure they were very impressive, (but I understand your cutting out when you did, as it can't have been too comfortable for you having to wait backstage like that for so long.)That's one of the reasons I didn't wear my Lady Chris armor to the Cosplay Contest---I remembered how hot I got LAST year waiting to go onstage (and in a sleeveless dress at that!)

Gee, don't I sound more polished and coherent here in the forum than I do in person? (Or onstage accepting awards for costumes I didn't bother to wear to the award ceremony?) ^_^ BTW, I was happy my Ifurita costume took home a Hall Costume prize, but what was the deal with nobody knowing who I was? (Hey, it's a character from EL HAZARD! It's a damn good series and it's not THAT old! Sheesh....)

Ahem. Anyway...

Congrats to Erika for winning Best in Show for her Shiva costume. It ruled. There were a lot of good skits this year. (I especially loved the "Chi vs. Bill Gates" one. CHI SMASHHH!!!!) Shame all you got were sheets of paper. (I think gift certificates to fabric or craft supply stores would've made more appropriate prizes and would've been much more appreciated.) Oh well. At least you have the glory and the bragging rights. Good job, all!

As for the art show, I saw a lot of good artwork there and I think the quality of art was slightly improved from last year. (And the painted cels, as always, were be-YOOT-i-ful. I've been tempted to take that medium up just because the results are so impressive.) I was happy that my Kimono Lady painting won a Best in Show prize (although, yes, all I got was a certificate. But at least my piece sold at auction for more than it probably would've otherwise.) My art in general sold for just enough to cover my hotel expenses, which, I think, is pretty damn good, considerin'.

It was fun seeing everybody else's work and getting to talk about cosplay. I learned a lot and I hope to apply these techniques to my future costumes. See you all next year! (Or at AnimeDetour in the Twin Cities, if you happen to make it there.)

It'll be a March con. It'll be nice and cold outside. Good armor-wearin' weather... heh...

AA

Cait
08-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Love how no one showed up to the group picture... ;-P

Amethyst Angel
08-24-2003, 10:57 PM
I SHOWED UP!!!!

...Only to find out that the shoot was over with. I was plenty mad, too, because I had worn my full armor Lady Chris costume to the shoot (and had stuffed a friend into another heavy, highly-detailed Suikoden 3 costume and dragged him along as well). I was under the impression that picture-taking would not begin until 12:10, which is about the time (according to our watches) that we arrived at the assigned place.

I know of others who were also planning to show up and were disappointed to find out it was over already. (Love how you didn't bother to wait around for them...)

Pancake Moogle
08-25-2003, 01:10 AM
I missed the photoshoot!

Damn. It sort of happened out of nowhere, and I wasn't in costume. Both my costumes I wore required quite a bit of messing with hair, so I couldn't get myself ready in time for it..

Guilty
08-25-2003, 01:26 AM
I tried to make it. I had to help a friend get into costume and then get into mine right after. We showed up at, like, 12:04 when I overheard it ended, so we just kinda hung around the lobby...

Dragon Sama
08-25-2003, 01:44 AM
I totally missed the photoshoot, sorry guys! Check out my website I updated! Okies, the con was great! I recieved many glomps... hehehehehehe MOOGLES!

www.geocities.com/dragons_are_forever

Dragon Sama
08-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Beverly you were absolutely amazing ^^

It was sooo cool to finally meet everyone, offline. That was great! I pointed out Cait and a few others. Sorry I missed the photoshoot. Sniffle... its over already. I have had some serious glompage ^^ and practically got sick from all the pocky and kupo nuts "KUPO!" Everyone was great... I glomped Vash and got it on camera... I'll put it up on my site in a few days or so.. everyone was on their knees laughing, seeing a Belldandy sneak up and glomp Vash, knocking the plants over -.-;

Am Angel, I saw you and talked to you... only NOW realizing who you are. I am SO sorry I didnt reconize you, hehehehe

I will be counting down until next year! Do you think.. this thread would still be up by then? LoL!

:bigcry: It's over! Time for school :bigcry:

Beverly
08-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Whew! Hi all! Back in Colorado, safe and sounds, as I hope everyone else is! ^^

THANK YOU ALL for such a wonderful con! Both Merlyn and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. The hotels were great (the Red Roof for staying, and the Holiday Inn for the actual con), and the folks we met and got to hang out with were wonderful. ^^ It was great to see Grandis and her hubby and Kevin Lillard again, hope you guys can make it out to NDK sometime again! ^^ And I was so pleased to meet Julia, Barb, and Ryan of limebarb.com; you were all so awesome and sweet, and thanks for the coffee! Congratulations and hello to Erica, you're great and deserve every bit of that award! And Meghan, you looked wonderful, hope to see you again soon!

There were tons and tons of other people I won't take up so much room with here. XD That's what I have a website for. I have over 200 photos, so take a look! If you were in costume, I probably got you. XD

Thanks all, for a GREAT con, I enjoyed it SO much, and I'm really looking forward to coming back next year. ^^

Beverly
08-25-2003, 08:57 PM
Dragon Sama, you were SO CUTE! =D Nice to meet you!

Mwa ha ha! I updated! Please visit http://faeriewings.net/cosplay for the con report and OVER 200 PHOTOS! You're probably in one of them, so go go go!

ParnsAngel
08-25-2003, 10:11 PM
Ooh ooh! Heeeeey all! Ive barely posted here at all so I bet no one knows who I am, but I have to give a shout out!

Beverlyyyyy!!! I was the Charlotte ^^ It was sooo fun talking to you in the green room and after the masq! Those photos turned out so nicely, and you're such a pretty Serenity!!! Thanks for postin up so many pics from the con, too! You're awesome ^^

To the person who was handing out roses:
Wow. That was an awesome idea. Especially having Wolfwood hand them out. I just died from the sexiness. Mmm, Wolfwood and roses. I'm so glad I got one ^^ I couldnt take it home though, cause it'd get smushed, so that was sad. But thank you, I loved it!!!!

Grandis: I always forget your screenname! So I forgot that was you in the Pirotess ^^; I just remembered you from WW, but not your name ^^; Sorry! But I LOVED your Piro and Ashram, those were amazing! I cant believe you wore those shoes. Those looked killer. But also very cool ^_^

Oh, and I was the Deedlit on Saturday morning, the Charlotte in the VHD:Bloodlust skit Saturday night, and Shadow Lady on Sunday. Wonderful meeting you all!!!

KnivesMoFO
08-25-2003, 11:48 PM
You're very welcome for the flower... It was a spur of the moment kinda thing, but I'm glad people liked it.

grandis
08-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the compliments, folks.

I think that KnivesMoFo should put a tracker on his roses, just to see how far they go.

D group, you looked very nice. My compliments to the fine gentleman who made your suits, as well as to you for looking good in them.

Grandis

KnivesMoFO
08-26-2003, 10:20 AM
You know, I'm thinking about doing that next year... attaching an address or something to all the roses... and have everyone that gets one send me an e-mail or whatever to see exactly how far I can go... :D

Ali
08-26-2003, 01:09 PM
hey folks...
Um, I'm not exactly sure how he did it, but my friend Stifter (tall Vash with the hair) seems to have craftily avoided both Fan's View and Beverly's (awesome Serenity, by the way. I was drooling over your costume during the cosplay. Great site, too!) cameras. If anyone knows where I can snag a picture of this boy, let me know. (I keep forgetting my camera at these things. Bad Ali.)

Anyway, awesome con. It's still my favorite and a perfect way to celebrate my one year anniversary to cosplay. Thanks to everyone who stopped by our table and virtual glomps to all who bought our stuff!

Aki Ame
08-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Re tall Vash with hair-- Which one? I think I have a picture if we are thinking about the same one! I got him eating doughnuts after the cosplay! ::glomps pitcture::

Dragon Sama
08-26-2003, 02:13 PM
I have a small video clip off my digi cam of me [belldandy] glomping the tall manga-vash, In the leather jacket [not the material one] is that who you mean? He was soooo popular -.^

The flowers was a great idea, how many did you have? I felt so special ^^

Ali
08-26-2003, 03:08 PM
My Vash was the 6'5'' dude in the anime style coat. (We were the 'drunk' Milly and Vash in the cosplay) He had the really tall hair that was glued into an accurate style.

KnivesMoFO
08-26-2003, 03:08 PM
The tall manga-vash was the one I was hanging with all weekend...

The flowers? Well, that depends... Did you get a reddish one, or a white or orange one? I had 3 dozen of the reddish ones, and 19 white ones, and 3 orange. :D

Xaq the Stamped
08-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey everyone. I was the Manga Vash at AI. I REALLY wanna thank basically everyone for being there and supporting our local con. AND for making it such an awesome weekend. I JUST found out about thiese forums and hope to be a prolific poster from now on.

This seriously was the most fun I'd ever had at a con. Everyone was GREAT! I'm gonna get some scans of the pics i took and hopefully upload them SOMEWHERE. I have to admit, it was really fun being Vash and i cant believe all teh attention i got. All the costumes were really impressive and it was great interacting with everyone. feel free to IM me at "xaqremix" on AIM. lemme know if you saw me and all that. Im pretty sure i saw you.

OH! one more thing! im looking for some of the Vash collage pics...like the ones with me, the tall one from the other cosplay group, and the dark vash. Cosplay rocked the house! i cant believe we got best GROUP!!! YAY!!

anywho, ill be checking this lots and lots now so ttyl.

Much Love and Peace
-Zach

Moonie Padfoot
08-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Hiya! Zach, I was the chick in the zidane costume. I came back later on saturday dressed as Kairi. My bestfriend was one of the many crazed fan girls glomping you, so as an apology on her behalf I hope she didn't scare you too bad. I'm thinking about doing a Meryll costume and organizing as complete a Trigun group as possible next year.

I have many pictures of your costume, though I believe most of them contain Sparks glomping you -.-;... let me know if you want me to e-mail them, just post them or what.

Lots o' love,

-Moonie

Beverly
08-26-2003, 06:35 PM
ParnsAngel - Woot, you guys were the coolest! Arg, but so many of my pictures of your group after the cosplay were massively dark (thanks toi my asstastic flash!). I'm getting a new camera before next year! *shakes fist!* Do you all have a website or something I can link to? ^^ Fabulous! *mwah!*

Ali - Awww, I'm sorry! I think I got confused by all the Vash-es, I wasn't sure who I got and who I didn't. *dizzy* Someone counted like 9 or something? We need a count of Vashes and Chiis. *heh*

I'm still having squee moments over this con. *blissful sigh* ^_____^

Ali
08-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Well, it's no biggie. I'll have pictures eventually from Shelbs (the Wolfwood in our group). I'm just REALLY proud of that Vash costume.

(On a side note: I ran into Stifter today and he STILL had his hair styled straight up. Crazy kid.)

Dragon Sama
08-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Hehe, my hair was still curled for two days from my belldandy costume even when i took a shower, i had put soooo much hairspray on it LOL

KnivesMoFO
08-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Aww... how cute!

So, is there anyone that was at AI that is planning on going to Kazecon? I'm pretty sure me and Zach will be there, and, well, at least I know, that we'd like to see everyone again!

Ali
08-26-2003, 10:39 PM
Don't mention that con to me. I'm so irritated that they're starting up midwest cons the year I move away. (It's a conspiracy against me, I know it.)
Good luck though. I hope you guys can claim some of that mad prize money.

KnivesMoFO
08-26-2003, 11:29 PM
*huggles* Well thank you very much!

Where'd you move to?

EDIT: Zach can't post on here for some reason, so he's having me post... He's trying to collect the multiple-vash pics... If you've got any, let us know! Thanks! *huggles*

Cait
08-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Still not getting this... which Vash?

B-kun
08-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Don't mention that con to me. I'm so irritated that they're starting up midwest cons the year I move away. (It's a conspiracy against me, I know it.)
Good luck though. I hope you guys can claim some of that mad prize money.

Hi Ali,
I was one of the guys sitting across from your group, at the Anime Reactor booth. Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it to our con, 'cause I really liked your Hyakurin costume... there needs to be more Blade of the Immortal cosplay IMO :)

Those "man-lita" drawings Hilary and Shelby drew were great btw... hehe!

KnivesMoFO
08-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Cait, the Vash I was with was the one with the Vinyl/leather coat... He had the undersuit and everything.... That would be Zach, our Vash.

Ali
08-27-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks B-Kun! (Love your avatar by the way. PeroPero kicks bum.)

Knives: I'm starting college at Boston University. Not all that close to the midwest. (My family JUST decided that I can come home for Thanksgiving, so I don't think a random trip to a con in Chicago is a possibility.)

Cait: My Vash was in a material coat (I can't sew vinyl yet). He was insanely tall and had nearly perfectly accurate hair. He was the drunk Vash in the cosplay and devoured two boxes of donuts following the event. I can't find a picture of him ANYWHERE, so I can't really give you anything to look at.

Well, I must be off to pack. (arg.) If anyone unearths a picture of my Vash, send me a link to it or something. (I'm not totally positive that I'm going to have computer access for awhile, because that would just be too convenient. So, if it's awhile before I can talk with you all again, it's been fun! I love the people at Anime Iowa most of all!) (And if you bought our stuff, YOU ROCK!)

KnivesMoFO
08-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Ali, I think there is a snapshot of your vash, zach-vash, and dark vash in the green room of the cosplay... If you are a member of Animeiowafriends, the Yahoo group, it's in one of member's briefcase...

Cait
08-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Cait: My Vash was in a material coat (I can't sew vinyl yet). He was insanely tall and had nearly perfectly accurate hair. He was the drunk Vash in the cosplay and devoured two boxes of donuts following the event. I can't find a picture of him ANYWHERE, so I can't really give you anything to look at.

Ah, yes. I think I have a few of him. Will post these and more in my gallery tonight. *still has to resize the rest*

Ali
08-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Yay! Thank you!
Do you mind if I use these temporarily on cosplaylab?

Cait
08-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Um, sure. I have the original files of a slightly higher resolution if you need them.

Ali
08-27-2003, 06:35 PM
that's allright. Thank you though!
(I really need to learn to use my stupid camera. I just kept forgetting to bring it to the con.)

Great pictures though!

CuteButDeadly
08-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Ali I have a picture of super tall Vash I could scan it and e-mail it to you if you would like.

KnivesMoFo I'm going to Kazecon.

Cait
08-27-2003, 10:07 PM
Alright, Got most of the digital camera pictures uploaded. The ones from my 35mm will take another two weeks.

Cait's Gallery (http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=440)

Member Con Photos, Other Conventions Gallery (http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=510&password=&page=1)

I'll be uploading most of the evening.

erikadoor
08-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Erika here.

Thank you, everyone. I had a fantastic time at AI this year, as I usually do and you guys helped a lot. Getting to hang out with Beverly, Amethyst and of course Grandis was an especial perk.

As for the shoot, I didn't even get in it. A load of people approached me and said, "What's going on?" and I said, "If this is all of us, well....let's take pics." Next year, I will carry a stick to calm the people who grew impatient with waiting for others to show up....and make sure to actually be in costume.
I was shocked as all hell when you didn't win anything, Grandis...in fact, it pissed me off. I look up to you and your work and to see it slighted.... I'm not even close to as gracious and well-willed as you are, and I'd be stabbing someone in the eye with those stilletto heels. I do hope you feel better soon and please know you have my respect.

Back to art and job-hunting. Next con I'll likely be at is Reactor or *maybe* C-Kon, so no costumes for a bit. However, screw the full-body make-up for a while. I'm going to cosplay some sexy bitches with weapons this fall.

Erika Door

grandis
09-02-2003, 11:49 AM
I was shocked as all hell when you didn't win anything, Grandis...in fact, it pissed me off. I look up to you and your work and to see it slighted.... I'm not even close to as gracious and well-willed as you are, and I'd be stabbing someone in the eye with those stilletto heels. I do hope you feel better soon and please know you have my respect.

Teehee, Erika!!!

Well, after some of the things I found out about the masquerade this year, I may well lend the lovely Lynda those stilletos for stabbing. :)

But thank you. I think it means more for your peers to admire your work, then to win an award. Awards are nice, but having others appreciate your work is nicer.

I'll be doing sexy, then sweet. I wonder if my brain can switch without revolting.

Grandis

Tamma-chan
09-02-2003, 02:38 PM
Pwhee....I'm getting new to this forum. hehe. I was at AnimeIowa for the first time this year. It was soo much fun. I've been attending the AnimeCentral cons for the past couple of years now. And in October I'm going to go to Kazecon. ^__^ from what I understand, Johnny Yong Bosch is going to be there. >^*^< and so will Hot Vash. hehe. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I hope to see some of you guys and gals there too. I was the punk moogle at AnimeIowa. ;p

Hoshikuzu
09-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone! I know I never post but thats cause usually I have nothing to say haha!
Anime Iowa was great. Wonderful seeing Zach again the ever popular Vash haha! Was great to meet you Beverly. We had a blast backstage for the masq. Oh and the getting certificates thing and nothing else seems basically normal. When my Loddoss War group won in 2001 we got a certificate that we had to copy ourselves so everyone could get a copy, two t-shirts and some cells from a really unknown anime. Mediocre prizes but eh its not about winning.
And I was sorry to hear, Grandis, that you didnt get anything. I know how it feels to do all that work and get squat. Thats what happened to my Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust group at Acen. All 18 characters, kick-ass costumes...no award. Conspiracy? I think so JK! Dont worry you can do what we did and redeem yourself at another con. Anywho was a great time! Matta ni ta ne!
~Hoshikuzu
Friday - Freya(in the gothic dress)
Saturday- Pirotess (who had the Deedlit with her), Asahina, and Carmilla from Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

ParnsAngel
09-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Well, after some of the things I found out about the masquerade this year, I may well lend the lovely Lynda those stilletos for stabbing. :)

Grandis

What about the masquerade? I'm always so clueless about these things. ^^;;

Cait
09-04-2003, 04:31 PM
What about the masquerade? I'm always so clueless about these things. ^^;;

I'm curious as well.

KnivesMoFO
09-04-2003, 04:34 PM
*raises hand*

Place me in that curious grouping...

Hoshikuzu
09-04-2003, 06:06 PM
I didn't notice anything abnormal about this masquerade...but then again strange things are always going down that noone knows of. Only thing that seemed remotely different was that everyone was so friendly and supportive. That was a nice change.

* What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks? - Shinji Ikari; Neon Genesis Evangelion*

grandis
09-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Okay...here's what I know.

The AnimeIowa masquerade is usually a pretty well organized affair, due to the efforts, generally, of Lynda the stage manager, who is a joy to work with. Lynda, Charles, and Danae generally crank out a well organized masquerade.

Last year thing's were a little off because of the sheer number of people back stage, but they trouble shot that well. Up until this year, everything I've heard about the staff has made me proud to be involved.

This year the masquerade had a problem. Charles, who is a great MC, may not be the best organizer in the world, and seems to have made active efforts to shut Lynda out of the whole affair. Lynda perservered, much to her frustration, but it's likely she won't be working the masquerade next year if Charles is in charge. What can I say about Charles? He's a nice guy, but he can go funny on you, and sometimes he's a little more concerned about his appearance to the public, rather than being ethical. (Nope, I won't go into that story in public.)

How did this affect you? Judges were snagged at the very last minute. I was supposed to be a judge, according to Charles, when Lynda asked, and of course I was competing. Prizes were not organized. This is the first year that AI has only given certificates, and I am ashamed. Lynda worked all convention at the cosplay desk because no one else was scheduled to be there, and this was a last moment thing for her.

I would caution folks to be careful about entering the AI masq next year, especially if Lynda's not involved, which is likely if Charles is. Then again, if you're used to a more haphazard masquerade (there are cons that have some) well, maybe you won't mind.

In lighter news, if Lynda stays on, I'll be judging next year, so you can start sending your bribes now. ;)

Grandis

Hoshikuzu
09-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Wow I had no clue they were having that many problems. Poor Lynda shes such a nice lady. And well yeah Im use to haphazard cons. Anime Central was rediculous! If it weren't for the fact that they're the only con the majority of So Desu Ne Cosplay can attend we probably wouldnt even enter the masquerade anymore. That and they allow groups bigger than 5 people and give you 2 mins max for skits. But congrats Grandis on getting to be a judge. That should be a lot of fun...hopefully. Sadly though it seems that the bigger a con gets the more troubles there are with the masquerade. But I guess thats just how it goes when you get hundreds more people then you were expecting. Even with such a mess the show must go on for it would be really weird to have a con that didnt hold a masquerade...its kinda a part of cosplay culture you know? Well better luck to all next year!

Amethyst Angel
09-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Whew. Makes me glad I opted to watch the masquerade this year instead of participate.

Oh, I've finally got the AI pics in my digital camera posted. Go take a look at 'em. You might be in them. (http://amethyst-angel.com/ai2003.html) (Forgive my woeful lack of cropping skills...)

KnivesMoFO
09-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Just thought I'd post and say "Congrats" to Erika for being Cosplay.com's Cosplayer of the Month!

Beverly
09-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Congrats Erika!! =D You look FANTASTIC, as always. ^^

As to what Grandis and others were saying about the cosplay.. Unfortunately, this being my first year at AI, I don't really know what past year were like, but I'm was simply AMAZED at the amount of organization that let the cosplay go as smoothly as it did. It really was fantastic, considering that we really didn't have to spend hours and hours waiting for nothing, and the line-up system I felt worked very well. At least, it all seemed great in comparison to some cosplays I've been in. *O.o* I was endlessly impressed. It's almost impossible to get the barest of organization for most cosplays, and I thought this one was far beyond that. And I am apparently blessed with a special sort of obliviousness so as to avoid seeing too much behind-the-scenes drama. XD

Hoshikuzu
09-09-2003, 02:11 PM
I had thought it went very well too. From my end the cosplay seemed well organized and had a friendly atmosphere. Im sure things with administrators not getting along happens all the time but at least they were mature enough not to let the participates know. So far this years anime iowa comes in second as the least stressful group cosplay right next to anime iowa 2001. Think of it this way it could have been MUCH worse *acen Ahem*.

Plus AI is great cause i met Beverly teehee! Hopefully those wonderful Sailor Moon and Carmilla pics will show up soon!

Moonie Padfoot
09-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Hiya!moonie here! I'm still going through pictures and stuff, and I just realized that I got very few pictures of my costumes -.-; if anybody got pictures of me in my Zidane or Kairi (I was the one carrying the sora plushie around) costumes, please email them to me at PJUjesusFreakGR@aol.com

Dragon Sama
10-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Here is a great site for Anime Iowa pics!

http://www.fansview.com/2003/animeiowa/ai2003.htm

grandis
10-03-2003, 08:44 AM
I am officially in charge of the AnimeIowa masquerade next year. That means I won't be judging, but I will work hard to make it a very positive experience for cosplayers.

Oh, and I'll be changing the hall costume contest so it's a bit easier on everyone involved. More details to come as I talk to the lovely Lynda, Denae and the technical crew.

:)

Grandis

Hoshikuzu
10-03-2003, 10:55 AM
yay thats great your in charge Grandis. Hey does anyone know when and where AI will be next year (2004)?

grandis
10-03-2003, 03:29 PM
yay thats great your in charge Grandis. Hey does anyone know when and where AI will be next year (2004)?

It will be at the Hotel Fort Des Moines in Des Moines, and it will be September 16-18, or some time around those dates. :)

Hoshikuzu
10-04-2003, 11:41 AM
Oh no its during the school year! *cries* I might not be able to go now! So sad....

Hoshikuzu
10-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Oh random thought. Have you ever thought of moving AI to the Quad Cities? (aka Davenport). Theres a place called the River Center thats huge and surrounded by hotels. Also you know its possible that if you have it in september a lot of the students arent going to be able to attend anymore. Especially all those college students who move away for school. Ever thought of having it earlier in August like the 2nd or 3rd week?

ParnsAngel
10-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Oh dear! That time in September would be very bad!! =( Yea, its after when school starts, and lots of people are involved in other things that wont be able to go! and that would be very, very sad =*(
Why aren't you having it in the same place in Cedar Rapids, again? I heard there was a reason...
I like that hotel :(
^^;

trina_mako
10-05-2003, 12:04 PM
It will be at the Hotel Fort Des Moines in Des Moines, and it will be September 16-18, or some time around those dates. :)

Oh no! How terrible :lost: Anime Iowa 2004 was supposed to be my first convention. My friend has gone to the past three but I couldn't go because school started so early....I was finally going to be able to go this year, but now its at least another 2 hours away...its already a very long trip.... :eeek: Thats so late...I'm sure that semester will have already started by then...since it starts usually the last weekend in August or the first weekend in September...

Is this final...or just speculation from the committee so far? I hope its not, I really wanted to go...and I'm sure a lot of people won't be able to go now because of school....and all of those people that come from St. Louis and Chicago might be discouraged because of the extra distance... @.@ Its so sad ;.; We've already done so much on our costumes for next year...

What about having it at the Five Seasons or something? ;.;

Melissa "I wish I could go..." H.

Ali
10-05-2003, 10:26 PM
This is also very, very bad for me... I love Anime Iowa...it was my first convention and definitely one of my favorites. I go to school way out east, though, so if it's after Sept 1, there's no way I can attend.

Honestly, it's a conspiracy against me. There's those 3 midwest anime conventions during the school year which I can't attend, and now this. (Next thing, they'll be moving A-Cen into April...)

grandis
10-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Hey guys.

I don't know all the details behind the decision to change the convention time to September 16-18, but I do know the following:

The Collins Plaza is too small for us know that we have more than 1600 people. (Too bad!) I loved the Collins!

The River Center was considered as an option, but the Hotel Fort Des Moines won out this year.

The dates that the convention could book the Hotel Fort Des Moines was September 16-18.

I know that will make it hard for many of you to come. You might offer up some feedback to the AI con com via their website. You can easily access it by going to the convention schedule of A Fan's View (http://www.fansview.com) and finding AnimeIowa.

All that said, I actually like the new date. For the whole of AnimeIowa's existance, I've been madly preparing for a semester, or I've been just finishing my first week of teaching. This will be the first AnimeIowa where my life will be routine. I guess that's the difference between being a prof and being a student.

BUT let your voice be heard! Contact the con comm. That might change things for next year.

Grandis

Beverly
10-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Oh! It's also the same weekend and Nan Desu Kan in Denver, Colorado.. ;_;

grandis
10-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Beverly:

That's not good at all. I'll talk to the con com about it. I worry that they may not be able to change the date now, but I think they should know.

I think it's unfortunate that they weren't more careful in checking for conflicts.

Catherine

Hoshikuzu
10-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Actually I emailed the AI company two days ago and they replied saying they know nothing of the change in dates or location just that it was one of the considered possibilities. Theyre trying to have it around the usual time though if possible but it is likely the con will move outside of Cedar Rapids aka far away :(.

grandis
10-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Actually I emailed the AI company two days ago and they replied saying they know nothing of the change in dates or location just that it was one of the considered possibilities. Theyre trying to have it around the usual time though if possible but it is likely the con will move outside of Cedar Rapids aka far away :(.

Did you email Aric? He told me that he'd received a bunch of communications about this.

I filled him in on what I know. It's ironic that I know this stuff before most of the staff, which I think is unfortunate. My intelligence comes from two of the con com. I'm on the board of the organization that AnimeIowa is affiliated with, and this is what I've heard at Mindbridge meetings.

So I'm pretty sure we're looking at the Hotel Fort Des Moines on September 16-18. However, anything can happen between now and then. I've seen cons change their venues before, on shorter notice. I just don't think it's likely that they'll change.

Anyway, if I should hear anything different, I'll bring it right here to you guys.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. :(

Grandis

Hoshikuzu
10-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Yeah I talked to Arik :(. So I guess the only thing we can do right now is email him with our conserns and hopefully if not this year then next year they will fix it. Keep trying and we shall see.

Hoshikuzu
10-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Anyone have pictures of Carmilla? I dont have any of me with Sailor Moon or Vash or anyone else cause well I was in the costume lol! If ya do let me know.

ParnsAngel
10-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Hehe! I have 2 awesome pics of you and Vash XD Theyre awesome! Im scanning them in when I get home this weekend, I cant wait to show you ^__^

Hoshikuzu
10-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Yay pics with vash! Still need pics with Beverly aka Princess Serenity. Those have to be hillarious. Oh and with Belldandy too. Teehe Carmilla is so fun to take random pics with.

Dragon Sama
10-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Here is a pic of me trying to hug Carmilla ^^ ((FEEL THE LOVE!))
http://www.geocities.com/dragons_are_forever/cosplay.html

go to pic #6

i dont have pics uploaded onto the internet but if you could give me your email, i could send you a few? Okies bai bai

-Dragon Sama- aka Belldandy

Hoshikuzu
10-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Ah Belldany-sama you were so cute! Thanks for the pic! My email is Hoshikuzu_Comics@hotmail.com

Amethyst Angel
11-04-2003, 09:00 PM
GRRARRGGHHH!!!! Thanks to my slow-ass computer and my even slower-ass Earthlink (more like Earth-STINK) internet service, I have to write and post this message a THIRD time. -_- *sigh* Well here goes. And I hope it works this time..

Ahem. To anyone who has sold artwork at AI 2003's art auction, have you received any payment yet? It's been well over 6 weeks since the con ended and I still haven't received any compensation for any of the work I sold there. What gives? (People who worked at the art auction; have you got an explanation for this?)

Hoshikuzu
11-05-2003, 05:50 PM
No I havent recieved any money either. I do however remember something in the rules that we probably wouldnt get payed for about 6 months after the con. If its not here by December Im gonna start emailing people. But hopefully itll come soon.

squeaky
11-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Anime Iowa 2003 Con Report

Yeah I know, took long enough huh?

But I took these pics on a disposable camera and scanned them all in at work today and made a webpage. So..enjoy!

http://www.uwplatt.edu/~martima/animeiowa2k3/mystory.html

A DDR LeGend
11-06-2003, 02:37 PM
hey, i didn't know there was a AnimeIowa thread here. . .

I had a blast btw.
-CardCaptor Will

Hoshikuzu
11-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Anyone know when Anime Iowa is being held and where yet? Thats kinda improtant dont ya think? ;)

grandis
11-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Confirmed September 17-19 at the Hotel Fort Des Moines, in Des Moines Iowa.

This from the latest information on the staff list.

Catherine

Hoshikuzu
12-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Attention artists who participated in the AI art show and auction! I found out whats happened to our money. It seems that the art show directors grandmother died and this had prevented NeDae from getting the checks ready. They were sent to the treasurer over thanksgiving so hopefully they will be out soon. Hope this info helps clear things up.

Ali
12-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info Hoshikuzu... that's good to know!

What's not so good is that I'm going to be out of the midwest for school come Sept. 1st.

I guess I'll just have to hope they switch dates again for 2005. (dammit.)

ParnsAngel
12-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Oh thats sad Ali! AI's going to lose a lot of people this year it looks like, from moving and changing dates ^^;;
I still hope I can make it though...right Hoshi? *lol* we'll drive the distance as long as school junk doesnt interfere! ^^;;;

Hoshikuzu
12-15-2003, 11:33 PM
LOL I so cant go to that! I have a play to do. Crew (set building). Need to do it must do it. Besides thats 6 hours from my college. no way can I go that far in two days. Sorry Parnsangel but youd have to make that treck alone

grandis
12-17-2003, 08:24 AM
January 10th is the first AnimeIowa staff meeting. I'll post here with relevant cosplay information after that time. :) Since I'm coordinator this year for both hall and stage cosplay, I'll keep you posted as things develop.

Grandis

Hoshikuzu
12-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Hey while youre at that meeting can you find out whats up with the art show checks for the artists? I mean I know that one of the AI personel had a family member die but that was like the first week of November and now its almost January. Im sure all the artists are very curious as to whether or not we'll be paid before next AI lol! Just a ballpark date if you can find one please?

Amethyst Angel
12-18-2003, 04:01 PM
January 10th is the first AnimeIowa staff meeting. I'll post here with relevant cosplay information after that time. :) Since I'm coordinator this year for both hall and stage cosplay, I'll keep you posted as things develop.

Grandis

That's good news. I'm sure you'll do a great job as Mistress of the Cosplay. (You'll at least know what mistakes to avoid in setting the whole thing up.) Best of luck to you.

Oh, and I was wondering,as a convention insider, you wouldn't happen to have any information on last year's art show, would you? (Information, such as, when are the people who sold works in the art auction going to get their money? I already know that the person in charge of the auction had a death in her family which caused the delay in the sending out of the checks, and I'm understandably sympathetic but....it has been a LONG time... Perhaps you could bring up this subject at the first AI 2004 meeting?) I don't want to sound like a greedy bastard but... I could really USE that money right about now....

grandis
12-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Yes, I will bring it up.

I'm surprised that no one else has gotten their money yet, because AnimeIowa's books are supposed to be closed.

My profound apologies to all the artists.

Grandis

Hoshikuzu
01-13-2004, 01:17 PM
hey artists did any of you get your money yet? Just curious.

Amethyst Angel
01-13-2004, 07:29 PM
hey artists did any of you get your money yet? Just curious.

You might want to try writing to the auction treasurer Andy Wheeler at penfold@inav.net . I did a couple days ago and received a profuse apology and a promise that the check would be sent soon. (Hopefully said check will arrive within the next couple of days...) I'll keep you posted.

duo_rnaxvvell
01-19-2004, 06:37 PM
hi im from missouri my best friend, (a trowa cosplayer), lives in iowa.........but uh....does that cosplay.com con scheduel or whatever have EVERY con for this year or would there by any chance be a missouri cosplay place? iiiii'm sorta new to the whole thing and i dont know how to even locate one.......so iii need some help.,....

AnimeAngel
01-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Hey! ^^

Jessie here. AI was awesome. I seem to think it was a lot funner 2002, but maybe that's because I was Edward. who knows!! Amethyst, thanks so much for the pic of me with Alucard. I'm on your 2002 site as Edward actually. Erika, great job as usual ^^ I live like 10 minutes away from Hotel Fort Des Moines! W00t! Here's my gallery and what not.

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=all&ppuser=903

I'm updating all the time ^^;

Hope to see you guys at the next one!

P.S. sorry for not being Edward in 2003

KnivesMoFO
01-25-2004, 01:26 AM
*waves* Hey Jessie! Wolfwood (Boone) here... Having fun?

AnimeAngel
01-25-2004, 02:49 AM
*waves* Hey Jessie! Wolfwood (Boone) here... Having fun?

Of course!!! Hey, hun, I changed my AIM name. AnimeStarKaos. ^^

Cait
03-03-2004, 08:39 PM
0_0 I can't believe it, but pre-registration is already open. Otakon doesn't even have theirs up yet.

Jen-neko
03-04-2004, 10:09 AM
0_0 I can't believe it, but pre-registration is already open. Otakon doesn't even have theirs up yet.

Yup, only $25, too (until March 15) :D I'm soooo considering going for that price =^_^= (of course, $30 is good, too....:3)

grandis
03-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Artists: At a meeting last night, a list of your names was handed off to the Mindbridge Treasurer. I think you should be getting your money very soon.

Oh, and the tentative date for next year's AnimeIowa is September 9-11, 2005. That's not THIS year's AnimeIowa, which is still September 17-19, 2004. Both events will be held in Des Moines.

That's all the dirt I have to dish for now.

Grandis

Hoshikuzu
03-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Aw its still gonna be in Des Moines! Im never gonna get to go to Anime Iowa ever again *sniff*. But just so peeps are aware I got my check a while ago so they are out for sure. Hope everyone else got theres.

faerieskater
04-05-2004, 11:35 PM
my sister got her check a few months ago...

Hello fellow animeiowa people :)
Last year was my first con, animeiowa is the closest one to me unless i fly somewhere :P i live in lincoln, ne so i think des moines is even greater, cause it is only 3 hours for me to drive.

I plan on going as eiko carol this year, still searching for the perfect material though :D

hanazuke
05-20-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm almost annoyed that it's in Des Moines this year, since I'm from Des Moines, but I'm going to college in Indiana *cries* why couldn't it be in Des Moines all the other years? *hates driving to Ceder Rapids*

Oh well, I'm going to make my Mom fly me home for it, couldn't miss my home state con ^__^

PockyBunny
05-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey everyone! I will be at AI04, hopefully as Freya from Chobits. I will also bring my Gunner Yuna costume from Anime Detour (if you were there, check out the link to my fotos in my siggy to see what I looked like).

Razor
05-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Howdy. I'm new at the forum and stuff x_x Anyway, me and my friend are going to Anime Iowa.

The main reason I'm going is because I met a Rikku cosplayer at Acen, who had told me she was going x_x; And unfortunately, I didn't get her screen name >.< Though I do wanna meet her again. Anyway... Enough with the reasons...

Me and my friend should be cosplaying as Kaze and Kumo from Final Fantasy Unlimited, but we're not entirely sure yet x_x; It depends on how much time we'll be able to find this summer... but yeah, see ya folks there!

Ellehina
05-22-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm going this year too. Don't really know what I'm going as yet. I had planned on doing my Paine costume but I haven't started it yet but I have managed to start my Cheza so that may be what I'll go as. This'll actually be my first con so it'll be fun.

Jen-neko
05-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Ellehina -- It'll be my first con, too :P

I'm not sure yet who I'll be going as, either, but I am planning on going. The one costume I will probably wear is my Jen-neko catgirl costume :3 (no pics right now...).

Btw, PockyBunny, your Gunner Yuna is really cute =^^=

Lottie
05-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Oh man, I just found this thread (a little slow I am). Seeing as how I live in St. Louis and Des Moines isin't too far away I might be able to make it. Depends on how far the drive will be too.

I haven't read the whole thread but it seems like quite a few people are going. I hope I do get to go and get to meet some of you!!

SongofAmazon
05-23-2004, 03:51 PM
hullo! I'm just joining up with this thread now as I got the okay from my parents to go down to AI. *excited* I hope to have 3 new costumes for AI and then the one that I neglected to wear and Anime Detour. ^_^ This will be my first year at Anime Iowa too.

Bobio Inevuana
05-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Oh! Its nice to hear from you again, Song! I really really wanna go to Iowa this year but I don't know how transportation is going to happen... I will find a way, though! ^_^ I'm excited to see more of your costumes (especially the Utena ones!). Hopefully I'll get to see you there, ad this time, I'll come up and talk to you (since I know who you are now... ^_^;;; ) Keep me updated on your costume progress, okay?

PockyBunny
05-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Btw, PockyBunny, your Gunner Yuna is really cute =^^=

OMFG Thank u! *glomps*

SongofAmazon
05-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Hopefully I'll get to see you there, ad this time, I'll come up and talk to you (since I know who you are now... ^_^;;; ) Keep me updated on your costume progress, okay?

*grins* I think I know who you were at AD. ^_^'' Hard to say without any piccys too look at, eh? I hope you get to AI too. Hopefully we'll have two sets of Utena and Anthy costumes by then, but the new set comes after I finish Kakyuu and after the pair of us to Chii costumes, so it might slide off, hopefully not. ^_^ *exited to meet more people*

Tiara
05-25-2004, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking about going to AI now. I'm working on a Meek from Digi Charat Panyo Panyo costume. Other than that I'll probably rewear Acen costumes.

hanazuke
05-26-2004, 06:34 AM
*huggles everyone* I'm so glad so many people are planning on coming!(especially so many people I know... SoA, others, you know who you are)

My only problems are
a: must get home from college in Indiana, This will be easy, I'm a spoiled child and my mom doesn't believe anime rots my soul, she thinks cons are a source of fun and amusment and a good break from school (and to add to things, SHE wants to start cosplaying)

b: can't decide which costumes to bring. I potentially have 5, maybe more if the little place in my head that gets cosplay ideas won't shut up. I'm trying to cut it down to one Rikku, but it just isn't working, plus I HAVE to bring Eiji and debuting my Edward is a must.... also "Naruko" would be fun to try, but I'm gonna have to have my first experience in putting pigtails up in wigs, and that seems like alot of work and money

So... as you can see, I'm WAY too into cosplay, and I get way too excited over the prospect of any future con
But... I'm looking forward to seeing you all if you can make it !!!

Jen-neko
05-27-2004, 01:12 PM
SongofAmazon -- I remember seeing you in the Shoujo Kakumei Utena thread =^^= I might be finally get around to making my white duelist Utena costume for AI :P Depends on how much money/free time/etc. I have over the summer...

Dragon Sama
06-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Tiara! You are going as Meek?! I gotta get a piccie of you! I LOVE Digi Charat cosplayers, nyu! And I don't think I have seen a Meek.... :3

I will be going as Rabi en Rose from Digi Charat if I can finish it on time. I just started. It took me a while to decide which one to do (pink.. or red...?) That was my ordeal for the week. I was sitting in class thinking about it. I'm such a nerd, ne? I might wear my Puchiko cosplay too.

One more thing. Is anyone willing to share a room with me? I am so willing to split the cost. I've done this at Acen and it worked out really well. Cheaper for all of us! And I'm also a volunteer, so the only time I will be in the room is for sleep =.= I'll also make you a set of cat ears (I make them and sell them on Ebay) just because ^.^ Contact me please if you feel charitable and are interested! THANKIES!

OH! And if anyone lives in Iowa City, I can give you a ride.

Hope to see you at AI! :heart:

Email: dragons_are_forever@yahoo.com
Yahoo Messenger: dragons_are_forever. I am online 24-7, just invisible. drop me a note :)
Homepage: www.dragonsama.com

Dragon Sama
06-16-2004, 05:59 PM
*hugglez everyone*

b: can't decide which costumes to bring. I potentially have 5, maybe more if the little place in my head that gets cosplay ideas won't shut up.....

So... as you can see, I'm WAY too into cosplay, and I get way too excited over the prospect of any future con
But... I'm looking forward to seeing you all if you can make it !!!

Wow I know how you feel! I had 5 costumes at Anime Central and tried to wear them all @.@ But I ended up wearing the first 2 all weekend. Such a hard decision! Cosplay can be so addicting XD

*hugglez back*

MyLeonheart
06-16-2004, 10:06 PM
hey i think i'll try to make it to AI this year and bring some frinds with i dont know what i should cosplay as can you guys help me, i cant sew and i'm short (5'3) with shorter blond hair, and skinny can you guys help me?, and do you know of any one in centrial MN who cosplays??? thats a bunch

~LeOn~

Jen-neko
06-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Dragon -- I may be interested in sharing a room :3 Won't confirm yet (depends on who I'm going with...) but yea...

LeOn -- I'm in Northern MN, but you probably already knew that =^^= Dunno who you could cosplay as, but if you can't sew, you can either get something commissioned, or pick a costume that you could buy most of the stuff for at like a Salvation Army or something :3 We can talk more on MSN about cosplay possibilities, too...

I have confirmed that I will be cosplaying Utena (from Revolutionary Girl Utena), but I'm not sure which outfit yet :/ One of the duelist outfits probably...Well, I'll figure it out sooner or later..:3

Kurai Kaze
06-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Hey! My friends and I went to AI last year as our first con and loved it so much that we want to come back this year. We tried the big con thing too (namely, A-kon) and just liked AI that much better. It's a lot friendlier.
My planned costumes are Naruto from Naruto, Miroku from Inuyasha, and I might do a third one, but I doubt it.

Dragon Sama
06-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Really Jen-neko? That would be kewlness if I could room with you. I'll send you a message and stuff. *crosses fingers*

MyLeonheart
06-18-2004, 08:41 PM
yawn well anyways i JUST MOVED BACK!!!! TO MINNASOTA!!!! YAY well anyways i still gunna try to go watching fooly cooly right now....still dont know who i'm going as any ideas?

Kurai Kaze
06-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Anyone doing Naruto costumes? I'm trying to get together a little gathering for lunch, and pictures. It'll probably be on saturday if anyone's interested. My AIM is Kitsuken.

Jen-neko
06-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Dragon -- Currently, I'll be rooming with my bf, so he and I are gonna split the cost of wherever we stay at (so I'm gonna hafta decline for now :( sorry). But if anything changes, I'll let you know.

Dragon Sama
06-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Darnit. Aw thanks anyway Jen-neko.

Amethyst Angel
06-23-2004, 11:48 PM
To all artists out there thinking of attending Anime Iowa...

I was thinking I'd like to set up a table in the artist's alley this year, but seeing as how AnimeIowa charges an arm and a leg for their tables, I was wondering, if anyone would like to go in on one with me. (I believe the shared cost would be 50 dollars apiece - which includes con membership. )

Please let me know ASAP if you'd be interested. Thanks...

Teresa (AA)

KnivesMoFO
06-28-2004, 06:55 PM
I'se gots a question about the cosplay at AI this year.... It states in the rules that no costume the resembles a law enforcment officer or military member would be allowed... does this include Resident Evil cosplay, since they are law enforcement officers?

Hyperion
06-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Hello...I guess I should post in here.

I went to my first con, Anime Detour, just this year, and I loved it so much that I am planning togo to AI (although I am not positive that I am going).

I plan to bring an updated KH2 Sora with new keyblades, hopefully an Unknown and a Halloween Town Sora.

Hope to see yah people there.

MyLeonheart
06-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Nyo?????????

Hyperion
06-29-2004, 12:25 AM
wha??!?1!?1?!

Jen-neko
06-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Knives -- Check with the con staff peoples and see if it checks out. They're probably just talking about people who are dressed in real police/military uniforms (someone could mistake them for the real thing, and come to them with an emergency or something...). Since most S.T.A.R.S. members from RE have "S.T.A.R.S." printed on their vests, it shouldn't be a problem...

Utena is progressing slowly since I can't get to the fabric store anytime soon :/ But it will be done! I still have plenty of time, anyway....And besides, if it seems like I won't be able to finish in time, then I can just shoot for Gren =^_^= *yay!*

kyokia
06-29-2004, 04:09 AM
I'll be there! And it moved to Des moines this year so I only have to drive 30 mins instead of 2 hours to get to it yay! ^_^
This will be my 4th AI, I'm looking forward to it, and I hope it will be a bit more laid back this year than last.. I'm not sure why they moved it to a smaller hotel though ...

Can't wait though, I'm going through convention withdrawl ... acen seems so long ago!

haha

Dragon Sama
06-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Yeah, Anime Central does seem like a blur. Weird.

hanazuke
07-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Wow... I go to Japan for two weeks and this thread suddenly awakens and get all lively on me ^__^.

So so SO excited for AI, want it to be now rather than in september.

though i have finally cut down my costume options from 5 to 2. Sadly no Rikkus this con, as much as I love constant oogling by the general fanboy population, I don't enjoy taking 45 minutes to do my hair, just to have my friend make me take it down a few hours later so we can do our Prince of Tennis costumes.
So AI 2004 is gonna be an all crossplay con for H. I'll be there as Edward from Fullmetal Alchemist (with my Roy, provided the costume doesn't KILL me first) and as Eiji from Prince of Tennis, hopefully along with a few others (I just have a Fuji for sure, maybe some others if all goes well)
so yeah, those are my plans, I can't wait to see you all there!!!

dchan
07-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Hopefully I can attend ^^;; (Note to self: Make more custom Atashi plushies and sell! sell! sell!) Nobody here has really talked about it this year...which is suprising o.o

But *if* I do end up getting to go, I'll *hopefully* be cosplaying as Esper Terra(FFIII/VI), Freya(Chobits), & Songstress Rikku.

See you there ^_^

Jen-neko
07-06-2004, 01:58 AM
hanazuke -- Yay, more crossplay :3 I'll more than likely be doing Gren (see siggy =^^=). Finding his outfit/styling his wig is gonna be SO much easier than Utena (but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop working on that costume :3 I just don't think it'll be "perfect" like I want it to be...but oh well).

Ellehina
07-06-2004, 12:46 PM
hanazuke -- Yay, more crossplay :3 I'll more than likely be doing Gren (see siggy =^^=). Finding his outfit/styling his wig is gonna be SO much easier than Utena (but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop working on that costume :3 I just don't think it'll be "perfect" like I want it to be...but oh well).

Cool someone else from Bebop and a perfect pic for me at that. Right now the only costume I think I might actually get finished is my Faye and that's assuming I can order the boots and stuff some time soon.
I know what you mean about it not being "perfect" I'm already not pleased with how my Faye is turning out even though it's ok it's just not "perfect" which is what I really wanted. Oh well.

Jen-neko
07-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I'm an uber-perfectionist, but I'm still learning how to work my grandma's old sewing machine, so I still screw up sometimes :/ and if something doesn't look right, I'll rip out the thread and try again =^^=;; So, yeah, I haven't started on Utena's actual costume yet, but I'm sure it's gonna take me awhile....(more reason to purchase all of Gren's costume).

Anyway, if you do Faye, that'd be cool! :3 We could get some pics together.

SongofAmazon
07-11-2004, 12:39 AM
Sadly... I won't get to my new utena and anthy costumes for AI, Those will be our winter projects so as to be ready and perfect for AD. ^_^''

So far, I will be bringing: Original concept Anthy and Utena... we may or may not have the detail bits done by then, Sailor Kakyuu for me, possibly Myu mercury (or Sailor Autumn), we'll see if I like it enough then, and our Chii and Freya pair. Maybe I'll bring Wakaba, but the yukata will be comming for when I'm lazy. ^_^ I wish I had more time and money to sew!

A question... would an original design elf costume be out of place?

Jen-neko
07-12-2004, 01:30 AM
SoA -- I don't think so (about the original elf design). I'm going to be bringing along my original catgirl design =^^= (full costume, mind you, not just cat ears =~_~=;; some people give us catgirls bad names...:P). Whether or not I actually wear it is another thing, but I probably will =^^= If people wanna flame me for it, they can go suck an egg..

grandis
07-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi! I'm the AI cosplay director this year, so I can give you the skinny!

First of all, elaborate rules (okay rules) about the cosplay, hall cosplay, and kids cosplay are up on our site (http://www.animeiowa.com).

For hall cosplay, I think original is fine. The only thing that we've ever had trouble with is too scantily clad, and that very rarely happens. For the cosplay, the clothing needs to be anime or video game. I'm willing to go historical Japanese, but that's about it for pushing the envelope.

Feel free to email me to ask more questions, if you got 'em!

And Utena costumers, Nemo and I will have Nanami and Touga this year. :)

Grandis

PockyBunny
07-12-2004, 02:48 PM
^ No Jrock?

Jen-neko
07-12-2004, 07:46 PM
grandis -- Hooray, more Utena cosplayers! :3 I need to get my butt to work on my Utena costume....=^_^=;; Haven't even gotten the patterns, or the fabric...=X_x=;; *must get to Duluth sometime in the next week or so*

SoulCrash
07-14-2004, 10:24 AM
I might come to Anime Iowa under one condition.......
I need to know (and this is no joke), will there be free beer at con suite this year!? Cause I heard there was beer last year at con suite.....
That's the only way I can drag my cousin to this con, so he can take me.

shinitama
07-14-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm going to be at AnimeIowa this year, and I'm looking forward to meeting all the people I've met online through cosplay.com and gaia. ^_^ This will be my third year going - last year I went as OVA Nuriko (I was with a Rokou, Kourin, Flute, and Soujiro,) the year before that I didn't have a costume. I know I *saw* Parnsangel and Erika, as well as a lot of others on this thread, and I semi-met Beverly (thanks for putting up all those pictures on your site! they're spifftastic! :toothy: ) And I can't wait to see all the awesome costumes everyone comes up with this year. ^^ My costumes this year will be Ocarina from Violinist of Hameln and Sanzo from Gensoumaden Saiyuki. I had to drop my third costume due to time/money constraints, but that's okay, since I would've had to fit 5 wings in the car for 3 hours. X_x;

...as to the free beer in the consuite, I wouldn't bet on it, the AI staff are rather uptight about stuff like that. But hey, you never know.

See you in September ^_^

dchan
07-14-2004, 03:41 PM
My costumes this year will be Ocarina from Violinist of Hameln and Sanzo from Gensoumaden Saiyuki.

Yay ^_^ More VoH cosplayers! I'll have to re-style my Pandora wig ^-^;;

shinitama
07-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Yay ^_^ More VoH cosplayers! I'll have to re-style my Pandora wig ^-^;;
Oooh, a pandora! :D can't wait to see that. Our group has a Hamel, Raiel, Flute, Ocarina, and Coronet. My costume is going to be modified (I don't like showing that much skin >< ) so I'll have silver Hamel pants and a corset along with the other parts of the costume - so if you see an Ocarina that doesn't look normal, that will be me. :thumbsup: hahaa... Anywho, there are a lot of people going that know VoH. It'd be fun to have a group photoshoot. ^^

Jen-neko
07-14-2004, 11:50 PM
My costumes this year will be Ocarina from Violinist of Hameln and Sanzo from Gensoumaden Saiyuki.

Yay, Saiyuki! I plan to do Hakkai someday, but I doubt I'll be able to for AI 2004 (pouring all my energy into other costumes) :/

My local Ben Fraklin is having a big wall-to-wall sale tomorrow =^^= I'm waking up really early to go....hopefully I can get the stuff I need for my Utena costume (need pattern/fabric for jacket, supplies for Sword of Dios, etc, etc..).

Serria
07-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Well, if my I play my cards right I'll be able to go to Anime Iowa! ^^; I'll have FFVII Aeris and KH Aerith for sure, and if I have time, I might make my little brother a Link costume, assuming he's coming. ^__^

Though it's not for sure... we'd have to drive... a really long way... but it would be so much fun!

shinitama
07-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Well, if my I play my cards right I'll be able to go to Anime Iowa! ^^; I'll have FFVII Aeris and KH Aerith for sure, and if I have time, I might make my little brother a Link costume, assuming he's coming. ^__^

Though it's not for sure... we'd have to drive... a really long way... but it would be so much fun!

Aeris has always been one of my favorite costumes... it's so, so pretty. ^_^

I have to drive 3 hours to get there... ^^; Compared to the 1 1/2 it took me the last 2 years because of the switch from Cedar Rapids to Des Moines. >_o
Hope to see you there! ^_^

Serria
07-16-2004, 06:47 PM
I live in northern Minnesota... so I'd have to drive like... twelve hours. XD But really, I might be able to work it out... by that... I mean alot of begging and sucking up to parents. ~_^

dchan
07-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Oooh, a pandora! :D can't wait to see that. Our group has a Hamel, Raiel, Flute, Ocarina, and Coronet. My costume is going to be modified (I don't like showing that much skin >< ) so I'll have silver Hamel pants and a corset along with the other parts of the costume - so if you see an Ocarina that doesn't look normal, that will be me. :thumbsup: hahaa... Anywho, there are a lot of people going that know VoH. It'd be fun to have a group photoshoot. ^^

Cool ^_^

I was part of a VoH group for the ACen Masquerade this year.

We had Hamel, Raiel, Flute, Queen Horn, Pandora, Ocarina & Sizer.

And for hall cosplay we had another Flute and a plushie Obo ^^

I know at least some of them are coming for Anime Iowa, but not sure of the official headcount.

shinitama
07-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Cool ^_^

I was part of a VoH group for the ACen Masquerade this year.

We had Hamel, Raiel, Flute, Queen Horn, Pandora, Ocarina & Sizer.

And for hall cosplay we had another Flute and a plushie Obo ^^

I know at least some of them are coming for Anime Iowa, but not sure of the official headcount.
I remember seeing pictures of your group! Awesome costumes. :D We might have a puppet for Oboe, but we're not sure... ^^; As I said to my friends, I hope there's a Sizer there, because it would be rather odd to see Ocarina without Sizer... :sulk: but if it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't. ^^ And I was pondering if I was going to make a golden piano, or just spray-paint our keyboard... course, this is for our Raiel who wants a way to shoot blood out of his nose at will... >.>;

Jen-neko
07-18-2004, 03:14 PM
I live in northern Minnesota... so I'd have to drive like... twelve hours. XD But really, I might be able to work it out... by that... I mean alot of begging and sucking up to parents. ~_^

I live in northern MN, too =^__^= What part are you from? (I'm in Grand Rapids). And I might be bringing my parent along, assuming she wants to go :P If not, then I'm stuck....My bf was gonna go with me (he lives in GR, too, but is moving to North Dakota in August for college...:/), but now I don't know if he is...*sad* So if I don't have an friends to go with me, well, I might just cancel the trip...

shinitama
07-18-2004, 04:35 PM
I live in northern MN, too =^__^= What part are you from? (I'm in Grand Rapids). And I might be bringing my parent along, assuming she wants to go :P If not, then I'm stuck....My bf was gonna go with me (he lives in GR, too, but is moving to North Dakota in August for college...:/), but now I don't know if he is...*sad* So if I don't have an friends to go with me, well, I might just cancel the trip...
I'm going with my parents... my dad is going as Kakashi from Naruto, that should be interesting. :thumbsup: Hopefully he doesn't freak out over some of the outfits that we're bound to see... ><

I hope you can come! ^^

PerniciousJuJu
07-19-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm going with my parents... my dad is going as Kakashi from Naruto, that should be interesting. :thumbsup: Hopefully he doesn't freak out over some of the outfits that we're bound to see... ><

I hope you can come! ^^

ur dad as kakshi? LOL wow, at lease you're dad's into this tuff.. ahaha

Miss Valentine
07-20-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm going to try my best and make it out to Anime Iowa this year. I'm looking at some colleges there so it isn't an unexpected long drive. Surprisingly, many people from the Chicagoland area are heading out there too! ^_^

As for cosplay:

Kasumi (white outfit) from Dead or Alive Ultimate
Kasumi from Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Sonasku from Ittitosen (Battle Vixens)
Yuna as a raver from Final Fantasy X-2

I might bring my Mai Shiranui costume but I'm not too sure about that. Well, I hope to see you all there and happy sewing! ^_^

~Sassy :heart:

Jen-neko
07-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Well, unless I come up with some money fast, I won't be able to go :( I've been job hunting for a long time now, with no luck, bleh =X_x=; I'm probably better off not going (I haven't found a friend willing to go with me :/)...But I don't have a whole lot of options...