PDA

View Full Version : 95% Finished Sesshoumaru

Melchior
06-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Well, I finished everything except for the fluffy. A few things:

- I dont have the fluffy, shoes, sword, or makeup on. It's all coming evenutally.
- The material is Peachskin.
- The hexagons and sash were made with applique. Heat and bond is what I used. Check my other thread for more information about that.

Let me know what ya think :)

http://www.lc3anime.com/misc/melchior/costume/sesshou.jpg

Another angle. I really need to work on my poses and expressions though.
http://www.lc3anime.com/misc/melchior/costume/sesshou3.jpg

From the back:
http://www.lc3anime.com/misc/melchior/costume/sesshou2.jpg

R1KKu
06-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Very nice! WOOO!!! I love it. All of it is excellent. And the armor looks pretty good for the materials used.

Hope to see it finished soon.
I cant wait to finish mine. Im so excited now!
Are you making both swords?
Dont forget the ears too XD

<---see my avatar XD

Im such a dork.

JunJun
06-13-2004, 08:20 PM
ooOOOOoooohh!!! <3 That looks GREAT!!! i LOVE the red sash. The bangs on the wig look really nice, too. Can't wait to see the furry and the lovely, effeminite makeup :)
If your ears are going to show, you may want to get pointed ear tips. If your ears will be covered by your hair the whole time, don't worry about it. :3

Look really nice!

Mew_Pudding
06-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Wow, that`s really. really great! I LOVE the yellow sash and the octagon pattern, you got it to come out really, really great. The wig is also very nice, looks just like his! Your going to look just like him once you get the make-up on! I can`t see anything thats not perfect, Great Job!!!

Fatwetdog
06-13-2004, 08:42 PM
I really like your work with the pattern on the kimono... My crits are excessively nitpicky... but it looks like the edge of the kimono collar is puckering on the left. (my left) It looks like the seam is straight but you might be trying to ease the fabric into the seam unevenly. The same problem is going on at the openings of your sleeves, and where the right sleeve (my right, third picture) fits into the armscye. I can't tell if it is a problem with the stitching, or if it would be fixed by ironing it.

Also... I don't know, but it looks like the armor is very flat, particularly the piece that goes around your arm.

But like I said, I'm being really nitpicky. I do really like the work on the red sections of the kimono, the applique is great. And that's some really good attention to detail on the wig, I like the way the bangs are split down the center.

Lirael
06-14-2004, 11:47 AM
it's really nice, and should look even better when it's done. however, the armor is quite flat color wise. maybe silver paint?

Eleryth
06-20-2004, 11:49 AM
I should really be in bed by now (its 130 am!) but I feel like being picky, too! ;)

The beloved Sesshy has an under-kimono. Even if you don't go all the way and make a complete nagajuban (or buy one), you should invest in the fake collars (or make one, and stiffen it with a thin piece of plastic or cardboard). This will help the kimono sit properly. Also, checking out webpages/books on how to wear kimono will probably help you (since he's probably tied it this way under the armor). The books/webpages will also have images of the fake collar I'm talking about (if they're any good, I guess. I think asahi-jc.com has some... in the "how to wear" section). Or Norio Yamanaka's Book of Kimono. (Can you tell I've become an advocate for wearing the garment correctly? >.<)

For the armor, if you want a metallic look, you could try chrome spray paint. I used it on swords and the like - purchased from the auto paint section, with a grey primer sprayed first. Looked nice and shiny. However, if that's not the look you're going for, perhaps using multiple colors for some depth? I realize his is a flat color, though, so you'd have to choose what effect you're going for. IIRC, you didn't make the armor...but the pointy things shouldn't be perfect cones. They're more shaped like canine teeth, with a slight curve in them (in the images, anyway, esp. the ones on the front piece). The shoulder piece also looks a bit too low. I think it should be higher, closer to the top of your shoulder, where your arm meets it, not across the bicep.

I also think the yellow sashes should be draping lower - in the images I found for reference purposes, it's closer to the bottom of the armor piece.

The ref. images I refer to were found searching google for "sesshoumaru"... common wallpapers, and the like. I didn't save them, just looked for comparison.

I believe I commented on the applique before... but just in case, it looks great! Nice attention to detail. Keep up the good work!

And now, I think I should go to bed... I have to be at work in 6 hours!

Skullez
06-20-2004, 10:08 PM
holy cow!
thats pretty ompressive! im always impressed w/ Sesshoumaru costumes. i really love how ppl seem to get the pattern on the costume so right!! I gota know how in the world did you do that anyway?

diamondscan
06-21-2004, 04:36 AM
Just make sure your fluffy is really big, so it impresses us. And loosen your shoulders when posing, you look like you're uncomfortable having your picture taken. Smile if you want, or give a glaring look and remenmber that you don't always have to look straight at the camera. Try out different poses that involve moving your arms a bit (or at least one of them) and that should make your pictures more interesting. ;)

Melchior
06-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Most of the stuff you've said has been really helpful.

I figured at least one person would notice I didn't have an undershirt. I guess that I'll take half a day and make one since it's gotten a lot easier recently for me to do that kinda stuff :)

For the applique questions, go back a few pages and look for another thread I posted in here regarding the sash and hexagon patterns. It's actually a really easy method.

Finally, as for the armor, I know it's kinda flat. I bought it, and though I'd like to eventually remake it someday, it'll do for now :)

Thank you everyone for the advice!

R1KKu
06-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Hehe, I wouldve mentioned the undershirt, but na... o.O

For poses, trying standing in front of a mirror and practicing, thats what I do.

*sarcasm* Hexagons, ooh I so cant wait to make mine. Did you use that peachskin to make yours?

Cant wait to see your fluffy. I gotta redo mine.

Armor....I might make another set to put up on EBay sometime in the future, if you are interested.

=)

(Im planning to go to Ota, its up in the air though, :rolleyes: )

yamano
07-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Shoud not thos under plates (ore somting like that ), be difrent ?
I do tink that the center plate, shoud be on the topp, And not below the side-plates,..

Melchior
07-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Shoud not thos under plates (ore somting like that ), be difrent ?
I do tink that the center plate, shoud be on the topp, And not below the side-plates,..

It's all velcro so ya I could do it that way. Thanks for the tip!

Black_Dog
07-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Eh...is the armor made out of...foam? That's what it looks like. XXXP

Very good overall, and I did notice the undershirt problem. Though, you can just add on the collar and look fine, in my opinion. If you do wear an undershirt, it might be awfully hot!!!

rei_hino
07-23-2004, 11:53 PM
XD *SESSSHY! *glomps* great sesshy costume. If I wanna practice my "attitude of a costume" and expressions, I watch some of the anime (or read out the manga) and pick the lines in which they really show attitude or something that's really them (or just some dialogue you like) and practice acting as the character in front of the mirror, giving the expression and attitude. . muwahahhahha^^ i hope that helps.

Nyo_kun
07-24-2004, 10:44 PM
The only thing that I want to comment on is the wig. I suggest maybe adding more hair to it. Fluff out the bangs some more (they seem too short) and if you are able to add more hair to it, make the back of that wig more fuller. IMHO, right now it looks like you're wearing some wig that you got either at a halloween store or something similar.

InuPhoenix
07-25-2004, 08:07 PM
halloween stores are your friends!!!!!!!! lol i like it but when you get your problems fixed please update the pictures?!

i really like it, probbably one of the best sesshoumaru cosplays i have seen ::they have been wowing me lately:: can you adjsut the armor? and for the undershirt you can jsut sew on a fake collar lol but i still really like it!!!! and im looking forward to fluffy!!!! :: pets fear the fluff ball:

Elemental
07-25-2004, 08:37 PM
I think my first suggestion is to iron your seams!!!!!
Frankly, everything should be ironed at least once, and you'll probably want to keep an eye on the sleeve seams and collar seams during your convention, because the puckering does detract from a very well done costume.
The armor is a tad flat, but gradiation of paint should help, if you have the time. And the wig is well done, though again, if you have time, could use with a few extentions to add body, and you migt want to cut the back so it doesn't end in a straight line across your back. I believe Sesshoumoru's hair is more angled at the back?

Your applique work is very nice, and I'm happy you intend to wear makeup. ^^

Your Kimono could be closed a littler closer at the neck, and the arm guard needs to sit more upright.

It's a very nice costume- I specifically like the fabrics chosen. Good luck!

Melchior
07-28-2004, 05:19 PM
I ironed the seams as best I could but I think that since this was my first costume I made on my own they are a little uneven. Still, it looks pretty good anyway.

As I said before, I plan to redo the armor eventually anyway - it's servicable and pretty proportioned which is good enough for now without putting in extra work. Thank you to all who made suggestions about making it more accurate. Hopefully this fall I'll get a chance to try out some methods like Amethyst Angel's and make it look a little better yet still light.

I did make an undershirt not two days after I posted this - it came out alright and should fix the problem everyone sees. I thought no one would notice but everyone did ^^;

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

InuPhoenix
07-29-2004, 10:47 AM
r u doing sesshoumaru for otakon? im doing sango lol ^_^*

MemoriesofYuna
07-30-2004, 03:46 PM
oh i love it! that wig makes me laugh it looks a bit funny but it works so well! i can really tell how much time and effort you put into making it. once you get the fluffy send me a PM with a pic of it. *i LOVE the fluffy* it's gonna be really good when it;s done! -Aseret Kagome

Melchior
08-04-2004, 10:29 PM
oh i love it! that wig makes me laugh it looks a bit funny but it works so well! i can really tell how much time and effort you put into making it. once you get the fluffy send me a PM with a pic of it. *i LOVE the fluffy* it's gonna be really good when it;s done! -Aseret Kagome

I tried to PM you but it said you weren't accepting them.

I haven't found a good full-length picture of my costume except for fansview. Here are two that are pretty decent though:

http://lc3anime.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=1005

http://www.lc3anime.com/misc/melchior/costume/HPIM3103.jpg

When Lionel's Otakon report goes up, he should have a pretty good pic of me that I've been waiting for :D

InuPhoenix
08-06-2004, 09:27 AM
hee hee it looks great!!! though i wish i could pet the flufy though (only pet two ::sniff:: ) but it does look great!!!!

temari12
04-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Hiya, I love your outfit, that's so awesome!!
I have a question though really quick..

What did you make your black armor out of?
and how did you get the patterns on the sash and stuff?

Thanks.

Yueyume
04-18-2005, 08:42 PM
WOW thats an awesome fluffy! XD And I actually think your wig is the most accurate one I've seen ever. I mean even people with really good Sesshy costumes like Fluffy-chan has wigs that are a bit odd... Yours has a nice curve in the bangs that most people don't have. And the way you styled it is perfect too... It might not be "big" enough to Takahashi hair but I think that's what it would look like if it were a Sessh were a little more realistic. Yeahhh...just wanted to say that. =p

RinnyTinTinny
04-18-2005, 09:51 PM
You seem to be aware of this by your pics but remember Lord Sesshomaru-sama has no left arm...so...NO USEY LEFT ARM!! *noddles* hehe I wish you were gonna be at Anime Detour I'm going as Rin Next year!.

Eleryth
04-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Looks great overall, Melchoir!

What did you use for the makeup? I think it could stand to be a bit more solid, you know? I've seen some Kiba (Naruto) cosplayers with nice red makeup - not sure what they used, though. Are you using theatre quailty makeup? Some people swear by acrylic paints as well (but some people have a bad reaction).

The fluffy thing is awesome; it's huge. Makes me want to hug it.

Your underkimono could stand to be closed a bit higher, I think. It's hiding under your kimono. Try putting it on then tying a himo (sash) around it to keep it from moving (or sew on little ties so that you can just wrap it over and tie it, like many martial arts tops). Then put on the kimono, leaving just enough of the white under-collar to show. Try using a sash for your kimono under your pants to help it stay, or else add more little tie thingies (no one should see them under the armor, anyway).

Great work overall!

And Rin, didn't Sesshoumaru have both arms in the beginning of the series? I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm pretty sure he did. Couldn't one just be "first few episodes Sesshoumaru"?

Inu-girl4290
04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm jealous, your armor is better than mine :sulk: Oh well, it's really awesome! I love the way your armor came out, what did you use to make it stiff? I also love your wig, it's actually the right length. Mine is a little shorter than it's supposed to be, but what can you do? Anyways it's really great so far, I can't wait to see it complete!

Bahzi
04-20-2005, 06:56 PM
I don't think Melchior posts on these forums anymore, this thread is from last summer. He bought that armor from me though, and I had it imported form a japanese cosplay shop in japan. It's a pain form what he told me, falls off and such. I think he had another set commissioned for future use since then.

wickjuk-lo
04-20-2005, 11:16 PM
That is nice man,
I love it,
and, did you make the armour out of foam........ hmmmmm.
very good though, I think that when you get the make-up on, and all the fluffy bits, you'd look so awsome!
nice work!!

Hilary
04-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Costume is gorgeous!
You need to loosen up a bit and enjoy being evil. I understand that these are preliminary shots, so no big deal, but really live it up at the con! A wonderful costume like this should be shown off!!!! Practicing in front of a mirror is a good idea so you have at least 5 default poses when the hordes attack you with cameras at the con. If you know what looks good ahead of time, all you have to do is have fun!
Beautiful wig! Make sure to take it off every now and then and finger-comb it so it doesn't get too messy, and you will need some makeup to help complete the look.
If you don't feel like shopping around Clinique or anything, Ben Nye makes some excellent theatre makeup. If you use a base, have someone take a picture of your face with a flash camera. Some makeups reflect light from your face, causing you to look like a freak. Good to test!
Longwinded, but I know that this will be incredible when complete!

dead pixle
04-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Looks good! Though I think you should spray the armor with a metalic silver.

Ringorestu Hana
07-04-2005, 11:54 AM
WOW! looks incredible! But uh.... What's applique? Dd you use that for the yellow sash too?

Never_perfect32
07-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh sexy sexy man sessy is.... =)

cutekawaii
07-04-2005, 05:36 PM
If the armor is made of craft foam like it looks like, it can be heated and shaped. All you have to do is hold it over a stovetop and stretch away.

~Nikki