PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with costume

aSuKaSpLuGsUiT
11-27-2002, 11:36 PM
Hey I'm trying to get ideas on how to make Chrono's hair. I can't grow my hair out long enough and was looking for suggestions from anyone out there. PLEASE HELP!!!! thanks in advance

Miroku
11-28-2002, 12:18 AM
I've seen a couple of Super Saiyan Gokus at cons before, who make their hair with foam, so they get that spiky look, you could try that. Or possibly a wig.

aSuKaSpLuGsUiT
11-28-2002, 01:01 AM
thanks for the info. i like the foam idea. Any idea on how to do that??? i'm a little new at this

Miroku
11-28-2002, 01:17 AM
Basically, you get pillow foam from a fabric shop, or if you can find some for free that would be good, because pillow foam is expensive. Then get a hot foam knife or some other reliable foam cutting tool and cut out the shapes of hair you want and then sew em together. Or use glue, or both. Plan all this stuff out before hand too, otherwise you will make a mess and waste lots of time.

aSuKaSpLuGsUiT
11-28-2002, 01:21 AM
Thank you alot Miroku. You've been a great help. Going to go out this weekend and start pricing everything. I'm so glad someone replyed let alone really helpped me out. I can't express how great this is. thanks again

Miroku
11-28-2002, 01:29 AM
I hope it works out like you want. I know what its like to have a costume turn out like crap. Just take your time, and it should be okay. You should post some pics when you get done.

aSuKaSpLuGsUiT
11-28-2002, 01:40 AM
i'll post pics once i do have it finished... i do want to try to get it done by acen but if not there is always otakon

Celine
12-03-2002, 08:34 PM
I'm planning to make the same sort of hairdo (like Crono's) for a costume. I think I will end up using foam, but I was under the impression that you could just cut through it with scissors... Is that wrong? And can it be spray painted? I doubt that foam comes in brown-red.

cutekawaii
12-03-2002, 10:38 PM
The foam method is a good idea, and to make it even more realistic, you can get spray glue and spray on hair extentions to cover the foam. You can get hair extentions at www.ragdolly.net

If you REALLY wanna go all out, buy a wig and use clear elmers glue to style it.

Miroku
12-03-2002, 10:43 PM
You can cut through foam with scissors, but I think that a hot foam knife(used for cutting and shaping styrofoam) is more acurate. You can draw out the shape you want with a sharpie, or other type of pen and cut that exact shape out. The knife burns the foam, or melts it rather than cutting it. Its really just a matter of preference in the end. As for the color, ive been wondering that myself. The guy I saw as Super Saiyan Goku looked like he had bright yellow foam. He might have painted it or put something else on it. Im not sure.

Celine
12-03-2002, 10:47 PM
Miroku: I did not know that about the foam knives. They sound cool, but I bet they are expensive! ^^ I will try out spraypainting it and let everyone know how it turns out.

Miroku
12-03-2002, 11:31 PM
The type of foam knife I bought was around 20 dollars, but it has a limited range for cutting. The wire that actually cuts the foam is like ten inches long, I think, and is connected to the handle at both ends, so it can be hard to manuver on larger pieces of foam.

SailorAndromeda
12-04-2002, 06:10 PM
I've heard that floral spray (like the kind you get at craft stores) works well on wigs, so maybe it will work on foam too? I've never used it before, but thought I would suggest it. Also, be sure to spray in well-ventilated areas, but I'm sure you knew that ^^

Celine
12-04-2002, 06:18 PM
Good point, floral spray is very cool and doesn't add as much stiffness. ^_^ However, my JoAnns stopped carrying it so I think I'm stuck with spraypaint for the time being. I loooove spray paint! hehehehe