PDA

View Full Version : Why are people cosplaying as Donald Duck?

AngryPyoko
11-29-2002, 11:18 PM
I am sorry I just don't understand this? Aren't we letting this get a bit out of hand. Now, I used to watch Donald as a kid and I love all the old cartoons and stuff but... doesn't this open a bit of a gate here? I mean when do you say "Enough"? Now I am not saying anything bad about anyone planning this costume... but does this mean I can bust out a Daffy Duck costume at my next con.. (Just as well as Kingdom hearts is a game so isn't maybe the hundred of looney tunes games made?) I mean then let's go even a bit further... If I can cosplay as a Game character in general ... hell, I could whip on a Cross Cross costume... (Sega CD - Criss cross make my video) ... I am going to step a bit further here... and this is my last point... I could go as maybe (not that I would ever even remotely concider it) Brittney Spears. Interesting question or does anyone have an explaination?... :(

Tenshi
11-30-2002, 12:24 AM
Cons are a celebration of Japanese culture. Donald Duck is in Kingdom Hearts, a Japanese game. His outfit in the game was designed by the same person who designed Squall and Cloud and Tidus and a bunch of other well-loved (and well-cosplayed) characters. So I think it's perfectly legitimate to cosplay as KH Donald. In fact, I would be running as quick as I could to catch up to anyone who wore that costume XD

PockyDarcy
11-30-2002, 12:44 AM
ummm... I am really sure. *sigh* ANIME conventions are the key words, not square soft conventions. I am so sick of seeing FF anything cosplayed at an ANIME convention. I really think someone should start their own gaming and only gaming cons in each state in america so all the gamers will stop going to anime conventions!! I liked like all of 5 video games in my life and NONE of them were ever square games nor role playing games. I don't waste my life away like that. Another thing...Did Disney create Squall? I don't think so. A couple of years ago I clearly remember people at cons bashing Disney, but of course the minute Square soft says it's ok to like Disney because they want you to buy their stupid game people think it's the best thing ever! >_< I am not looking forward to Kingdom Hearts cosplay this year as you can tell. I hope this nonsence of gaming won't stop me from going to cons in the future >_< BLAH!

Michi
11-30-2002, 01:22 AM
^^;; Just because you don't like video games doesn't mean that costumes of them shouldn't exist..

Most people like KH for the Squaresoftness.. and the closet Disney fans are using this oppourtunity to cosplay from it. I think it's kinda silly, unless we're talking the KH designs (which few Disney characters got).. *shrug* I'd love to see a KH Donald, that outfit is neato. XD Like, a well done mascot costume. XDDD

Anime and games are so closely tied in together that people find them okay to cosplay from... at least the Japanese games.. because a lot of them have anime styled character designs, and others have spawned anime. Sakura Taisen is a good example, and Rhapsody/Marl Oukoku no Ningyouhime with its anime designs.. Chrono Cross, using the character designer from Escaflowne.. Chrono Trigger and Dragon Warrior VII, using the character designer from DBZ..

I hope this doesn't make an argument. u_u;

Bell-chan
11-30-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by PockyDarcy
ANIME conventions are the key words, not square soft conventions. I am so sick of seeing FF anything cosplayed at an ANIME convention. I really think someone should start their own gaming and only gaming cons in each state in america so all the gamers will stop going to anime conventions!! Well... not all game cosplayers like games only though (I personally like both anime and games. I guess, as you implied, I'm wasting my life away). I think Final Fantasy or Squaresoft cosplay is closer to anime cosplay than...most other game cosplay because of it's relation to Japan. (That's why I don't think you should expect a Brittney Spears costume at an anime convention... thank goodness). Actually, now the character design for Final Fantasy characters are done in anime style. And as Michi said...just because a few people don't like video games doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any costumes of them, since there are a lot of nice costumes that come from them.

Mei Lan Chang
11-30-2002, 02:12 AM
I love costumes. All costumes. Some I admire for their complex structure and character orgin, and others I love just cause it provides a good laugh. I wouldn't critisize people for their choice of character, since it's on them, not me....but I bet if I saw a Goofy costume...I'd probably move along. I could go to Disneyland to see that.

Melchior
11-30-2002, 02:36 AM
This is really a touchy "issue" but it really shouldnt be an issue. On one hand I think people should be able to wear whatever costume they want, wherever they want, whenever they want. Most people would assume that appropriate costumes for an Anime convention would be those of Anime and *maybe* games that have spawned anime (or vice versa). As someone mentioned before, with people having interests in both games and anime (I started out as a PC LAN Gamer honestly), the line's are blurring in fandom.

However, it's hard to determine where some people will draw the line. Kindgom Hearts is, yes, a game. It's a game with Disney Characters as well. I personally wouldnt go to Otakon as Donald Duck. That's just me. But if someone does, it really isnt going to affect my enjoyment of a con.

After all, this person is going to have to deal with issues that crop up as a result of their costume. Scantily clad females deal with drooling fanboys, and people in Disney costumes endure comments from some anime fans who dont share the love of disney that they do. If this person is willing to accept possible abuse by some people, then they've got just as much right to wear a costume as everyone else. This of course doesnt mean it'll be as well-recieved as some other costumes, but hey, whatever.

I saw two guys at Otakon this year wearing cardboard boxes labeled "Boxatron" and "Boximus Prime". Offensive? No. Appropriate? Perhaps not, but were they hurting anyone? Nope. They weren't detracting from my enjoyment of Otakon at all. In fact, I found them quite funny.

I guess what it comes down to is just because you're sick of seeing some costumes or they might not be strictly anime (I'm not a big fan of Yuna and Chii at the moment) doesnt mean people can't do them. People can do whatever they want, as long as it is within convention rules and they are willing to deal with the attention (negative or otherwise) that they may get. For hall cosplay, pretty much anything goes. However, I do believe that costume contest judging should be Anime only, seeing as it IS an anime con.

DJ(SiC)ness
11-30-2002, 03:51 AM
maybe its just a rep from disney

spying on us to see what they can take from our fandom and fuck it up...oh wait haven't they already done that
*looks at spirted away

Cassandra
11-30-2002, 07:14 AM
I'll add this in too....some "anime" conventions aren't really "anime" conventions. Anime just happens to have a majority of the events. From Otakon's website:
"Otakon is a convention devoted to east Asian culture, with a particular focus on Japanese animation (anime)."
So video games fit in there. (It's also why they have a video game room *gasp* )

And if video game characters don't belong at the conventions, then the video games themselves don't belong there either. So you can kiss your DDR and everything goodbye ;)

So, really, anything that comes out of Japan can be cosplayed. That's how you end up with j-pop costumes and video game costumes. Britney Spears is in no way from Japan. And I'm pretty sure there aren't any Japanese Looney Tunes games.

That's just the way it works.

Koumori
11-30-2002, 09:02 AM
What you cosplay is your business. What other people cosplay is their business. I would like to think we're not such control freaks that we want to dictate what is and is not acceptable convention-wear.

psythe
11-30-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Koumori
What you cosplay is your business. What other people cosplay is their business. I would like to think we're not such control freaks that we want to dictate what is and is not acceptable convention-wear.

*nods*

Agreed. It shouldn't matter what someone else wears, it isn't affecting you at all. You are still in your costume, talking with your friends, having fun.

^^v

Chosuke
11-30-2002, 10:23 AM
I think videogame costuming is a big part of cosplay!
Especially since alot of Anime shows originated from game's or eventually came to make their own game.
Plus,alot of the outfits are fun and look great on people.

As for Disney,I'm a big fan of some of their works and wouldn't mind seeing KH donald duck waddling around a con. However though,I would think it a bit odd if some random non squareized character apeared.

I really want to see a Milo thatch though ;-; .. even if he wasn't in KH.

Maryssa
11-30-2002, 10:40 AM
I already argued enough about this in that 'So you're at a con...' thread about Harry Potter and videogame cosplay

Kellie
11-30-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Maryssa
I already argued enough about this in that 'So you're at a con...' thread about Harry Potter and videogame cosplay

Here here. I think points like this have been argued to death on these boards. I'm really starting to wonder if cosplaying is even worth it anymore if people are going to do nothing but bicker and argue over what's right and wrong for cosplay. I'm even wondering if putting the effort into getting to know people and attending cons is going to be worth it anymore. @_@

AngryPyoko
11-30-2002, 11:21 AM
Ok, Let me just say this... Being a gamer... I have played all the final fantasies up to 8... I have actually cosplayed as gaming characters (servbot, Marvel vs Capcom 2) and I also know that Square is a great company and all... But I was asking, "What kind of gate are you opening?". Titus, a Japanese company, purchases the rights to "Hercules", or "Xena", and now that it's released by a Japanese company, it's an amine con costume? Go through a gaming magazine... The japanese do the programming for these american characters and make money. Nothing wrong with it but by everyone's opinon ... now "The Grinch" (done by Konami... The makers of Yugi-Oh...) is a potential cosplay? Or is it just square that is allowed to do this? I know square is the "fanatsy company", but who deemed them the exception? What is the answer? (I am so confused...)

tamahomegurl
11-30-2002, 01:24 PM
i think everyone should just cosplay whoever the hell they feel like cosplaying as. screw anyone who has anything negative to say!! XD There's really no boundaries in cosplaying and we shouldn't start (exceptions are: masquerade contests and if the con SPECIFIES what is acceptable).

it's kinda like people dressing up as final fantasy characters to a comic convention and people dressing up as star wars and harry potter to an anime convention. i even saw people dress up as ranma gang to attend E3 (which is the infamous annual video game convention here in california)!!

since kingdom hearts is a mix between the east and the west, cosplaying as any of the disney characters at a con is way awesome! ^___^ i'm going to ax 2003 as tinkerbell and i dont give a rats ass what people will say!!!

my main point is: just be whoever the heck you want to be!! variety and being unique is the fun part of cosplaying!!

JoeBoeing
11-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Well, Ranma 1/2 was a series of like 5 - 7 games in Japan... and I never get tired of seeing a good Ranma or Mouse.

As to final Fantasy... It's character designer did character desings for several anime series and Final Fantasy spawen a couple anime series. and it's from Japan.

And if people don't like seeing game costumes at cons don't go or have a person guide you to where you want to go and tell you when there are no game cos-players in sight. Gaming is a part of Japanese culture and the American culture... and if anime cons didn't want game cos-players why would they have game character designers and a game room and allow them in at the con.

I don't care what costumes are at a con as long as said co-players are having fun.

Cos-play is all about having fun.. so it should it matter what series or jenre the costume is from as long as the person has fun?

From,
Joe

Cassandra
11-30-2002, 06:02 PM
Ranma 1/2 was also an anime series, some OAVs, a few movies and a really long manga.

Nietsche
11-30-2002, 06:09 PM
AngryPyoko- Bah...so is Disney the first to use 'crossover with a japanese game' as a gate for being cosplayed? I should answer 'probably not!'
Capcom have been playing around with Marvel characters for many years now and lo and behold...Marvel cosplayers! (in fact you had said it yourself)
So to answer the question
"Or is it just square that is allowed to do this?"

Then no...thus they are not deemed an exception....

And one more thing..as i have said in the other thread, the chances of there being more non-anime/japanese pop cultural cosplay to anime/japanese pop cultural cosplay are slim so if it peeves you then just go look at all the other cosplayers.

And one more thing- Donald in Kingdom hearts has a complex costume that I do not foresee many people attempting even if they so desire (I mean how many Eva units or Genma pandas have you seen out there?)

And one more thing- Cassandra-hehe I was gonna use that same quote from Otakon but couldn't back it up with any other conventions...maybe its something to do with 'anime' being in the name of the conventions in question (Anime Expo is a celebration of japanese animation if ya look at the site..but it doesn't stop anyone from non-anime cosplay)

And one more thing..do people forget that they should be having fun at the convention and not mulling or stressing over the origins of a certain costume?

And one more thing- CherriiChan- I hope you won't not be Belle for Otakon because of this...Belle is my favourite of the princesses, she's bookworm smart!
^_^

Cassandra
11-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Well, a lot of cons don't really put a blurb about the con on their front page. A lot of the smaller cons are comic book, anime and gaming cons. (MegaCon in FL, Genericon in NY, No Brand Con in WI....the list goes on) Otakon just happens to say it up front ;)

Nietsche
11-30-2002, 06:42 PM
Thanks! ^_^

Keurblitz
11-30-2002, 07:56 PM
ack, just let people cosplay what they want. It doesn't hurt. I mean as long the character is somehow related to Japanese culture/games, I mean, why not?

Maryssa
11-30-2002, 09:47 PM
I think another thing to realize is okay yes, the boundaries are not solid. However, cosplay that is stretching that boundary is becoming a LOT more common nowadays. Its not a problem to see a stretch every now and then. But a LOT of people are doing costumes that dont directly relate to anime now. Its almost like a bandwagon of hey let me do this cameo character that appeared in an american-based video game for 5 seconds!

Koumori
11-30-2002, 10:02 PM
I think another thing to realize is okay yes, the boundaries are not solid. However, cosplay that is stretching that boundary is becoming a LOT more common nowadays. Its not a problem to see a stretch every now and then. But a LOT of people are doing costumes that dont directly relate to anime now. Its almost like a bandwagon of hey let me do this cameo character that appeared in an american-based video game for 5 seconds!

And yet people also complain when they see too many people doing a popular cosplay. You can't win. There's no reason to take personally what other people wear - none. Let 'em be.

Michi
11-30-2002, 11:55 PM
I won't complain as long as I don't see another Queen Amidala compete and win at an anime con ever again.

And I'm sorry if that Amidala from AnimeFest ever reads this, but.. just.. c'mon. It was in Dallas, where they DO have scifi/fantasy cons for goodness sakes.

You can't pull someone out of the halls for wearing something. What if what you think is Renaissance garb is really just their weekend attire and they wanna wear it to the con?

So yeah. Just... don't compete (seriously, I made the point in the other thread how Harry Potter was in a gag skit? sure, as long as Harry didn't want a craftmanship award).. and there shouldn't be any problems.

Some people at cons want to get rid of cosplayers roaming the halls period, y'know. Seen that anti cosplay list on Yahoo? Pfft.

Oh well. -.-

makio
12-01-2002, 01:25 AM
There was a Harry Potter cosplayer who did win a skit award at a previous convention(if you don't know, don't ask. There's enough said about a certain skit as is); but the cosplayer was in a group of Hellsing cosplayers in the skit...very hilarious stuff, definitely worth the award.

Anyway, the best way (IMO) to answer this subject is this...just because the conventions says "Anime Expo" or even "Nekocon" doesn't meant that there's only going to be just anime cosplayers and events...or even cat-cosplayers for that matter. Unless it's offensive to the dress code of the place/state it's being held, I don't forsee a problem. It hasn't been one in the past, it shouldn't be one now.

However...just because someone's cosplaying Donald (or Goofy *coughcough*) from Kingdom Hearts, I think that since his origins lie in domestic creation; the costume should only be allowed to win a cosplay, like the Harry Potter/Hellsing skit. As a master of ceremonies, I wouldn't allow it to win a costume award at an event like AnimeExpo. It's catered toward appreciation/cosplay of Japanese (preferably "anime") culture. But if it were something like Megacon or even the San Diego Comic-Con, I'd probably let it slide and allow the costumer to compete in both.

A touchy subject, but nothing worth quitting a favorite hobby or enjoyable event over. Sheesh... people, there's more important issues to worry about than this - like having a safe and happy holiday season! :thumbsup:

SCLNeptune
12-01-2002, 03:36 AM
I think you need to get over it AngryPyoko, its a Japanese con, all cons are japanese cons that have anime, it isnt devoted JUST to anime, if I wanna make a costume from any japanese game, tv show, movie, poster etc I wanna see and wear it to a con, I will. Whine whine bitch bitch, opening a gate my ass. I think just to spite you I'll make a KH donald and goofy costume and start working on those ff costumes, gotta have them by anime expo!

the point is we are allowed to wear whatever we want, your opinion is your opinion but despite what you think or like we WILL wear whatever we want to a con

ClutZGurl
12-01-2002, 04:45 AM
Okay, first time I'm ever gonna even bother with a thread like this, hopefully last time.

It's as if conventions are a way for people to showcase (of course, without being extremely "LOOK AT ME I'M BETTER THAN YOU!!!" types of mentalities) their ability and talents for costume-making with friends and to make new friends, and it can go as far as comic books, TV shows, anime, manga, cartoons, reality shows, etc. There have been debates about j-rock cosplayers and how they shouldn't be allowed, but that just...bugs. I mean, sure, "anime convention"... but people still make manga costumes, right? And then there's always Comic Con, where you can cosplay as whoever you want but the vast majority are comic book related. Even if they're not comic book related, they're somehow related to DC Comics, Marvel, Image, etc. (just to name a few off the top of my head). My point is: YOU CAN DRESS UP AS WHOEVER THE HECK YOU WANT. You can even dress up as...I dunno, some random pop star. Whatever floats your boat.

Cosplaying is all about having fun, and like it's been said in this thread, people wear what they want to and you can wear what you want. I mean, if you're gonna say something keep it to yourself. It's bad enough when people run around disrespecting each other like "OMG THAT COSTUME LOOKS LIKE CRAP HARHAR I AM BETTER DURRRR" or "DUDE, SOOOO DOESN'T HAVE THE BODY FOR THAT COSTUME!!! SUX0RZZZZZZ!@@@!@!". What ever happened to just having fun and meeting new people?

And so what if Donald Duck is Disney and not extremely japanese other than Kingdom Hearts? The Disney characters that are being cosplayed now are due to the extreme popularity that Kingdom Hearts has brought. I'm a very big Disney fan, always have been and always will be, and I see nothing wrong with it. Granted the costume MAY NOT be as authentic looking as ones you may see in Disneyland, Disneyworld, EPCOT, etc... then well, who cares? No harm's done to you. Unless you're some weird freak who just has some whack obsession with having people cosplay ABSOLUTELY perfectly. If you are then...ugh. Just plain...ugh. But yes, there are no rules to cosplaying, unless of course you're nude, which is illegal last time I checked.

So with that said, go make any random obscure video-game costume you want to. If nobody notices, then that's fine. If people recognize you, that's fine too. Just go out there and have fun, what cosplaying SHOULD be.

PockyDarcy
12-01-2002, 09:42 AM
In reply to Neptune: He wasn't saying you couldn't wear whatever you wanted He was saying that just step back and look at it . Because of Kindom Hearts we are cosplaying Disney american characters (Harry Potter too!) Isn't that a little weird? And you are saying anything asian cultured ay? So I can cosplay as my fathers' cousin's wife Coco because she is from Japan? I think that is pretty funny! I love j-pop but I would never cosplay it, but that is just my oppion. I am not forsing it on you. It just doesn't seem right to me to cosplay anything that isn't anime. Maybe it's because back when I started cosplaying everyone around me wore only anime costumes. It's just a habbit I am used to. I still continue to collect anime dvds each week. I wonder if people are still watching anime as much as we used to or has the gaming market just gotten bigger? dunno. I've never been to the west coast. Appearently some of you who say that you need to cosplay anything...even american things that have nothing to do with anime seem to be from CA. I don't think I'd ever attend AX because I heard it is way too big! I don't like big cons personally.
It's hard to be personal with anyone at a big con. Plus, it's way to overwelming. oh, well. Probably why I am going to PortconMaine again! So much fun!!! ^_^
Someone once told me that in cosplay you are being a representative for whatever you wear. You are promoting that series, Manga, videogame, ect to whoever sees you. I thought that was a nifty thought! ^_^ It true too! If I see someone who cosplays as say....steal angel Kurumi and I have never seen the series and she is really nice to me or in character, I will go and check out steal kurumi at suncoast. Promoting what you want to is the important thing. Making sure people know your character is out there! ^_^ YATA!

Rey-Rey
12-01-2002, 12:39 PM
Then in that case, I guess everything revolves around Japanese culture, huh? Hmmmm. I'll wear an "Ichiro Suzuki costume" at a convention. Oh, I'll cosplay as the "fish" from Ranma 1/2. Oh, while I'm at it, I'll wear a "Shaquille O'Neal costume" because it relates to "Slam Dunk". Or an "Ellen DeGeneres costume" to support yuri.

That's where I stand.

Tenjou
12-01-2002, 12:58 PM
My Opinion: As long as the cosplayer is happy with the costume, and it is somewhat related to the point of the convention, then let them wear it. It's their costume, and they (most likely) put a lot of time and energy into making it.

artemis316
12-01-2002, 04:16 PM
To make it very simple...cosplay is all about having fun!! A person has a right to dress up as whatever character he wants, even if it's a non-anime character and wants to wear it at an anime con. Shoot, I've seen Klingons and Star Wars cosplayers at anime cons and I don't have a problem w/ it. I don't remember anything saying in the cosplayer's handbook that a costume for an anime con had to be anime/videogame/manga related...unless there's an updated rulebook that I don't know about...

Ok, enough on that subject for me...

Morrissey
12-02-2002, 02:40 AM
Jrock is not appropriate for an "AnimeCon". People do it anyways. So I don't see a problem with a Donald Duck cosplayer. The DD cosplayer has every right that the Jrock cosplayers do. My opinion is that unless it has something to do with Anime or something anime related (in which case most Japanese created videogames fall into since allot become anime), it doesn't belong at anime cons. Anime cons are just that, the promotion of anime, not jrock music.

Choice
12-02-2002, 06:46 AM
so if you cosplay donald duck, do you have to wear pants?

pics plz

Little-Suki
12-05-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by PockyDarcy
A couple of years ago I clearly remember people at cons bashing Disney
People bashing Disney?Wish I was there.
I think it's a bit corny we have this great FF like game and then it has to be ruined by Disney characters being in it.

Maryssa
12-05-2002, 06:23 AM
Oh please... care to elaborate how it was 'ruined'? The whole point of the game was to combine square and disney characters.

makio
12-05-2002, 10:57 AM
LoL...I think I'll remember the whole 'pants' notion should I ever decide to costume as Donald Duck or even Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ranma Saotome
12-05-2002, 11:16 AM
Disney-bashing, sounds like AX 2k1 when the hentai dealers were kicked out oteh Disney hotel or something liek that.

As for costuming... It's shades of grey. You will see peopel cosplay from verious genres at cons. At Animazement, there were Stormtroopers there. Of course I balked, but then again, it's a con, let them be happy right? And if cons starts enforcing rules on what costumes can be worn and stuff, you know what will happen!

Tenshi
12-05-2002, 11:18 AM
I'm not exactly a big fan of Disney, but Kingdom Hearts is a good game, REGARDLESS of what characters are in it. It's ridiculous to say KH has been ruined because it's part-Disney.

Besides, I luff my Donald Duck XD.

engrish
12-05-2002, 12:44 PM
I'm going to put on a Boba Fett costume and enter the Anime Expo masquerade:D:D:D

errr you guys knew I was being sarcastic right?

Morrissey
12-05-2002, 07:10 PM
I have to agree with Maryssa on this one. How was KH ruined by Disney characters? I found them to be the best thing about the game. The time Square and Disney put into it really made it storywise one of the best rpg's I've ever played. Next people are going to blame the bad controls and crappy camera angles on Disney too. Let's just blame everything on Disney.

Lil Dreamer
12-05-2002, 07:12 PM
let's blame the beckoning war on Iraq on Disney too!!

Nipple. :)

sailor-moon
12-05-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Lil Dreamer
let's blame the beckoning war on Iraq on Disney too!!

Nipple. :)

yes yes yes

Maryssa
12-05-2002, 08:02 PM
in the recent animerica there were some pics of japanese KH cosplayers, which were amazing (especially the shoes!) I think its okay to have the _KH_ version of donald duck *as long as* its with a KH group.

and ranma, it was in 2000 when AX was at disney, and it wasnt a big a deal as you say it was (i was there, sorry). anime fans are just to fucking quick to hate on Disney.

Daitenshi
12-05-2002, 08:02 PM
lil dreamer: cool Dawn avatar!

The Disney bashing was at AX 2000....it was held at the Dinsey land hotel @_@
Disney forced the dealer's to remove all of their hentai merchandise, etc... people weren't happy at all.

hoshikage
12-05-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Daitenshi
The Disney bashing was at AX 2000....it was held at the Dinsey land hotel @_@
Disney forced the dealer's to remove all of their hentai merchandise, etc... people weren't happy at all.

*Sigh* I keep wondering when this erroneous summary of events is going to die. For the record, Disney did NOT force anyone to do anything. A dealer (who has since been banned, deservedly) sold hentai material to a child, and when the kid's parents got upset, HE called the police, apparently under the highly mistaken impression that he was somehow entitled to sell hentai material to anyone he pleased, including children. AX voluntarily pulled hentai anime from their schedule and asked the remaining few dealers with hentai material not to sell it. This was not a punitive action by Disney. There is no need to blame Disney for it. (This is from staffers, by the way, I am not just making it up for no reason.)

And come on... it was years ago. Are anime fans ever going to grow up and stop having this knee-jerk reaction to blame Disney for everything?

*ahem* Sorry. I'll get off the soapbox now. It's just a sore issue for me, as I'm getting a little tired of the rather unthinking prejudice that seems to run rampant in anime fandom on this issue. To bring myself back on-topic, what does it matter if someone wants to use Kingdom Hearts as an excuse to dress up as Donald? Aren't we all going to cons to have fun? If that's the way they want to have fun, why shouldn't they be allowed? If you don't like it, just ignore them and don't let it ruin your own con-going experience. Really, there could be much worse things at an anime con than Disney cosplayers. Why get bent out of shape over a little thing?

--Starshadow, who goes to take her own advice now and get back to sewing rather than ranting...

Daitenshi
12-05-2002, 11:37 PM
My apologies. I was unclear on the events. I had been told by staffers about the actions of that particular dealer... I had also heard from staffers that although it was "voluntary," many dealers were under the impression that if they did not remove their hentai items they would be forced to close their booths entirely.

>>And come on... it was years ago. Are anime fans ever going to >>grow up and stop having this knee-jerk reaction to blame >>Disney for everything?

Being that Disney is a child & family oriented company, it is natural to assume that they would not welcome any sort of pornography on their property.

And I happen to like Disney, so please don't lump me in with the usual "anime fan as Disney basher" group...

Mink
12-06-2002, 05:54 PM
For the record...to anyone who cares...the creators of anime were inspired by the artwork of....guess who....Walt Disney. So you can bash Disney all you want, your just kinda being hypocritical...and no Im not making this up.
http://www.corneredangel.com/amwess/history.html
http://www.uncc.edu/~medomoto/3209/anime/anime_history.html
http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/flats/2863/anime/animehist.htm

Want more? ask me.

More importantly....if you dont want to see anything other than anime costumes....then dont wear anything other than anime costumes. And if Queen Amidala is winning cosplay contests, talk to the people in charge. Maybe she falls under their guidelines. But its not her fault. Shes still an awsome costumer.

People your getting your undies in a bunch and its not a pretty site. No one can control what people wear (if we could, do you think I would still allow boys to wear pants everyday that walk in front of me with there butt hanging out?) Lose the uptightness....thats not what we are all about here. And I would hate for someone who is thinking about getting into cosplay to read this thread and decide that its not all fun and games (which it is!) and decide to just go take up another hobbie instead you know?

Schu
12-09-2002, 03:41 PM
I think that anyone should wear whatever they please, be it American, Japanese, or Djbutian if they feel the need. As long as they're decently covered, why should you care?

Little-Suki
12-11-2002, 07:25 PM
Oh please... care to elaborate how it was 'ruined'? The whole point of the game was to combine square and disney characters.

Excuse me that's my thought on the subject!Just look after yourself thanks!

Little-Suki
12-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
yes yes yes

Great idea!

Sion
12-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Morrissey
The DD cosplayer has every right that the Jrock cosplayers do.

People usually complain about costumes not being anime, but most people say its not an anime con exactly, its more of a Japanese culture con in most ways, the thing is Jrock is Japanese culture, but Disney isn't. It may be in a Japanese game, but it didn't originate there, so I wouldn't really consider it Japanese culture.

Oh and my bro saw a thing on tv about anime and it said anime was created in the style that it is because they didn't want the horrid style of Disney, but whatever. Disney is ebil.

Eriku-san

Maryssa
12-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Little-Suki
Excuse me that's my thought on the subject!Just look after yourself thanks!

I simply asked you to explain that statement. I do not understand how you feel it was 'ruined' when it is well known that the whole purpose of the game was a collaboration between Square and Disney.

Morrissey
12-12-2002, 07:07 AM
An anime convention is just that, an anime convention, not a Japanese culture convention. Japan Expo is a Japanese culture convention. Square, the maker of the FF games that seems to have 50% of the cosplayers making costumes based on their characters isn't anime. Yet if that's acceptable, which it is, then why shouldn't a game made by them in cooperation with Disney be counted as the same? It has FF characters in it. I'm just saying that if Jrock is acceptable (even though I particularly don't think it belongs) then KH cosplay should be allowed as well.

Cassandra
12-12-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Morrissey
An anime convention is just that, an anime convention, not a Japanese culture convention.

Not all "anime conventions" are really anime conventions. Otakon, which everyone thinks is an anime convention, is an Asian culture convention.

That was the point.

engrish
12-12-2002, 10:33 AM
Every convention not just anime has elements that are not part of it's central theme, for example car shows. What the hell do bikini models have to do with cars? Yet just about every car show has them.

Marth
12-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Personally, I think that the Disney characters are great! Disney is an inspiration to many Anime/Manga creators (like Akira Toriyama). Disney is very influential...

Animation is something to be enjoyed as a whole, not just beign obssessed with Anime... Sure, I personally prefer anime over western animation, but it is good too... Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, Cartoon Network cartoons, the classics, Simpsons, King of the Hill, South Park... have we forgotten about those?

my opinion is that the Disney characters add a very special feel to "Kingdom Hearts". Without them, let's face it, the game would be just another Final Fantasy with a new battle system!

diqitaldreams
12-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Hmm -- I think that if anyone can pull of a great Donald Duck, go for it. I'd love to see a KH Donald because of the various reasons:

1. IT's a hard costume to make - Yes, imagine a Donald Duck walking around during a con, wouldn't he/she be hot?

2. Japanese Artists made costume design

3. He's awesome in the game

4. I love Donald ^_^

Sion
12-12-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Marth
Without them, let's face it, the game would be just another Final Fantasy with a new battle system!

Your point? We'd still play it =D!

Eriku-san

Marth
12-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Sion
Your point? We'd still play it =D!

Eriku-san

LOL! hell, I love Final Fantasy and I'd buy it, my point was that that's what sets it appart from other FF games! :D It'd be an awesome game no matter what! I mean, IT'S SQUARESOFT! that sums it up pretty much, huh? ;)

Little-Suki
12-14-2002, 05:45 PM
I simply asked you to explain that statement. I do not understand how you feel it was 'ruined' when it is well known that the whole purpose of the game was a collaboration between Square and Disney.
:rolleyes:

FlameSniperRei
12-14-2002, 08:45 PM
~.~*
Oi yo ne, not the whole Disney & Square thing again.

Who really complained at AX2000 that the con was being held at Disneyland? I thought it was great, I had no problems there and I actually LIKED it there. I think people are assuming that the people who hated Disney are the same people who are cosplaying as KH now. I don't think we can make that assumption. For example the Disney bashers back in AX00 were mostly the ones who were angred that hentai was being removed from the dealer's room. Most of these people from what I saw and heard were not in costume.

Anyway I think people should be allowed to cosplay whatever the hell they want. If people want to cosplay stuff that's not directly of Anime then they have to realize they might get flack for it. But like what everyone else is saying, it's their business as to what they cosplay. If they aren't hurting you or anyone else, who the heck cares what they are wearing? Let people be and don't worry about what they are wearing. You could spend that time bettering your own costume and skit idea. :)

Daitenshi
12-15-2002, 01:23 AM
AX 2000 was my first time attending, and the only thing I didn't like about it's location had to do with the high hotel prices =P If I had more time I would have gone to Disneyland and had a faboooolous time. so there. and stuff... oh look, something important I should be doing! =D

L to the 3rd
12-15-2002, 03:29 AM
Well.. i was kinda scared when I first heard about Disney and Square doing KH, but the outcome was good. I'm neutral w/ Disney...(there are good things and bad) but i never bashed it before and I'm a huge Squaresoft fan.

FlameSniperRei
12-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Daitenshi
AX 2000 was my first time attending, and the only thing I didn't like about it's location had to do with the high hotel prices =P If I had more time I would have gone to Disneyland and had a faboooolous time. so there. and stuff... oh look, something important I should be doing! =D

Ah that makes sense. I didn't really mind because I didn't stay at a hotel, we commuted.

MAYBE........ KH like made people change their minds about Disney though, since they did do a good job with the game?

I have no problems with Jrockers or Disney cosplayers at an anime con personally. However the masquerade maybe more iffy since it's suppose to be related to anime. *shrugs*

Morrissey
12-15-2002, 05:12 PM
That's a good point. Would KH cosplayers be allowed at the masquerade? I know J Rock isn't, that's why they have their own masq. Anyways, I don't care what people wear, it's really none of my business unless it's offensive. I may not like Jrock but I certainly won't say anything to anyone dressed that way. Free country and all that.

Marth
12-23-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by L to the 3rd
Well.. i was kinda scared when I first heard about Disney and Square doing KH, but the outcome was good. I'm neutral w/ Disney...(there are good things and bad) but i never bashed it before and I'm a huge Squaresoft fan.

Perfect way to say it! (^_^)

Adella
12-28-2002, 12:39 AM
Donald Duck Cosplayers are A-OKAY in my book. *thumbs up*

ChibiMoFo
12-28-2002, 12:55 AM
Aeris should cosplay and sing mandy moore songs O_O

Ranma Saotome
12-28-2002, 01:03 AM
Speaking of Donald Duck... Anyone play DDR Disney Rave? :D

jade_dragon
01-02-2003, 02:07 PM
tsk tsk shame on you ^_^ cosplay is about portraying a character you love from sakura ,love hina or gundam too star wars or disney's donald duck ,its all cosplay .and hey if we we're all the same in cosplay it wouldnt be much fun.im going to the san diego comic con next year as yuna becuase it's the only one i can get to (*bows head in shame* or know of really well) i dont give a darn if she isnt a comic character im going to have fun and thats what it should be all about =)

and i rather liked kingdom hearts , i dont think it was ment to be standing next to the great final fantasy series just a nice game on its own .i thought it was fun to play gave me an excuse to see ariel and belle again with out looking like a looney at the video store lol. and seeing the final fantasy character's out of their normal odd worlds was great. getting a chance to see how cloud can whoop ass from a diffrent view was priceless.and hey how can you guys complain Aeris was back wasnt it great to see her again ?

Bobbi
01-05-2003, 12:23 PM
I personally think KH is a great game. I love square and FF. I've also always loved Disney. It just really gets on my nerves when anime fans boycot disney because "They ruined anime, everyone thinks animation's for kids!" >< Now me, personally, I've always felt animation to be an art form, like live action film, acting, etc... So to me, Disney, and anime are one in the same, animation. Though I prefer anime over Disney by far. ;)

Anyway, everyone should be able to wear whatever they want for hall cosplay. Why complain? I'm so sick of people bickering and fighting over hall cosplay! I can understand at a masqurade or cosplay contest at an anime convention, if someone cosplayed as Belle won over <insert random anime character here>. Cause well, it's an anime con. But that doesn't mean that she (or he!) doesn't have the right to wear Belle in the hallways and stuff.

My first ever costume was from Final Fantasy, only because I had just gotten into the fandom (through FF), and I hadn't been exposed to much anime yet. Now I'm doing anime costumes as well as planning a few video game ones here and there.

Chill out people, take a deep breath and read: Cosplay is about having fun. If someone is having a great time cosplaying KH Donald, then more power to them. ;)

Hikaru
01-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Cosplay is short for costume play. I didn't hear anime in that all. I didn't hear video - games either. Cosplay does have to do with anime more then video - games but it's the "anime - like" games that get cosplayed. KH Donald Duck was done in the squaresoft anime drawing style along with all other squaresoft games. Not only that but Squaresoft characters have such cool costumes! who owuldn't want to cosplay as those characters!

I dohave a problem with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings cosplay though. How is harry Potter and lord of the Rings have ANYTHING to do with cosplay?? I just don't get it...

Cosplay is about dressing up as cool anime and "anime - like" video - game characters! Who cares if some characters are overdone! It's the costume that counts!

Cait
01-05-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm going to put on a Boba Fett costume and enter the Anime Expo masquerade

This has probably been mentioned, but I hadn't read it.

Speaking of crossing mediums... Just as many series, by the time they're done, are anime, manga, and video games in Japan, Star Wars was made into a manga (not just a comi book, a manga). I have the T-shirt of manga Luke in his starfighter to prove it. I wore that one when I registered at AX last year.

Perhaps some of the problem lies in the definition of "anime" itself. To be true, does not the Japanese word "anime" literally refer to all animation? To be technical, these "anime" convention purists should be accepting of even things like South Park cosplayers.

I agree that most "anime" conventions are actually Japanese culture conventions, but it seems to me most are more along the lines of Japanese popular culture or Japanese popular media. "Anime"Iowa had a DDR tournament and Kimono seminar. They didn't seem one bit out of place.

Didn't Jenifer Love Hewett become really popular in Japan for a while? I'd laugh rather hard if I heard a J-pop cosplay of that because it almost is appropriate. Some anime fans seem to look east to escape the west and are distraught when they realize both are on the same planet. Yes, back in the day the creators of the unique qualities of Japanese animation that we all love took inspiration from the western world. Is that so wrong? Is our culture that bad?

I myself dislike the Harry Potter and croncologically latter Star Wars characters as well as the Lord of the Rings things. As of right now, these pertain in no really connectible way (doujinshi production aside). I wouldn't bat an eye at a KH Donald's appropriateness at a con.

I've heard rumors that Sci-Fi's Farscape is looking into the possibilities of transfering to anime. I wonder if that happens if similar debates will arise.

Mei Lan Chang
01-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by engrish
I'm going to put on a Boba Fett costume and enter the Anime Expo masquerade:D:D:D

errr you guys knew I was being sarcastic right?

Ooo! I want to see pictures! Boba is a sexy beast, for a guy in a mask.

Daitenshi
01-07-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Hikaru
Cosplay is short for costume play. I didn't hear anime in that all. I didn't hear video - games either.

I do have a problem with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings cosplay though. How is harry Potter and lord of the Rings have ANYTHING to do with cosplay?? I just don't get it...

O.o; You just contradicted yourself =P

Cosplay is mainly represented by anime (manga included) and video game characters. Yet most of us look to the Japanese for our best cosplay examples, and I can tell you there were _tons_ of Harry Potter cosplayers at Comiket ^_^ It's all about having fun in costumes of characters you like (be it for their personality or attire).

JoeBoeing
01-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Hikaru - Let me break down the term cos-play for you since you contradicted yourself:

Cos = costume
Play = To Act and/or Portray

When you put those together you get cos-play which means to act or to portay in costume.

The term doesn't specify that dressing up as Harry Potter or LotR isn't cos-play. It's no differant for an actor/actress getting into a role.

Kingdom Hearts is a Japanese game that Disney approached Square to make for them and it was a collaboration between the two. Doing a KH Donald is fine at a Japanese Animation convention becausue it's a Japanese game.

Besides, isn't cos-play about having fun? Why should it matter if a person does a non-Japanese costume to an Anime con? If you don't like it turn your head and don't take their picture. I think that as long as they are having fun is all that matters.

Besides, my best friend wears his Star Fleet Uniform to anime con with Sailor Moon gear. A Type II phazor in one hand and a cresent moon wand in the other. He has fun and infact I met him because he was wearing that costume. I walked up to him at AX 97 and asked him if he was seperated from his away team.

FRom,
Joe

TheLoneWolf
01-07-2003, 05:28 PM
:D
I hear ya!,if all goes well,I'm probably going to be doing a Raja at Ohayocon.....(that is,if I can get it done in time!)

Hikaru
01-07-2003, 05:35 PM
Whoops...I meant...umm...I'm an idiot... :(

NarniaKnight
01-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Well all I have to say that if I see a Donald or Goofy, they should at least be “Square-ized”… and it would be cool if someone could do some of the alternative Donald and Goofys… my fave is Donald in Holloween Town...
ya just gotta love that mummy ducky…

late year i saw princess peach and mario and luigi and toadstool... just thought i'd say that... no real reason...bye^-^

Limeyaku
01-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Ho hum...I'm not sure if this was posted already because I'm too lazy to read through all of the previous posts. O_O

But I think this is TOTALLY cute and will make for an AMAZING cosplay. I hope we see more of things like this!! ^0^

http://www.cosplaylab.com/pics/12157.jpg

SO CUTE!!!! *spazzes a lot* HEHE! ^_^ And original too!

Luv
Limeyaku

Marth
01-09-2003, 09:24 PM
That is an awesome pic! awesome cosplay idea for a group!

Irvy
01-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Hehe, now I want to cosplay as Goofy!
But ahem, yea. I can sort of see where people are going with the invasion of none anime characters being at anime conventions. However, conventions are for fun and people are welcomed to go as whatever ^^ I mean there are no rules at cons that say you have to cosplay as an anime related character. What's important is that you like anime and if you wanna go as Harry Potter, go for it! I've seen a lot of Harry Potter doujinshi around, which shows it's a pretty big hit in Japan as well. Heck, there was even a SW manga series for awhile. So it..sort of is like anime ^^

FlameSniperRei
01-10-2003, 02:18 AM
Yeah you don't even know how rabid the Japanese are over HARRY POTTER and LOTR. There were jillions of HP and LOTR cosplayers at Comiket 2 weeks ago (which is a con in Japan btw). Even non cosplayers were wearing the HP scarves. There were soooo many doujinshi (Japanese fan comics) on HP and LOTR too. *nod nod*

for example:

Pic taken at ComiKet

http://www.sailorjamboree.com/conreports/comiket63/c63_lotrgroup.jpg

Briareos
01-10-2003, 02:57 AM
Hobbits, Harry Potter and Naruto everywhere on the this Comiket. Oh, and The prince of tennis - how could I forget those :D
As the subject is "Disney" I even saw a Minnie Mouse there....:eek:

I will post a foto when I come back to my own PC.

-Bri

Nine
01-10-2003, 04:13 AM
If you are going to rant and rave about how disney cosplayers shouldn't be allowed to cosplay at anime conventions, then you should say the same for those who cosplay video game characters at anime conventions, or those who cosplay japanese music artists are anime conventions; due to the fact that Video Games and Japanese Music Artists aren't anime. :P

We live in a North American soceity, no? Well, due to the fact that we get our "cosplay" ideas from animated creations, a lot of us like to get our cosplay ideas from North American animated creations as well.

You should be more tolerent towards those who want to cosplay from sci-fi movies, or North American animated creations - because people at sci-fi conventions are very welcome to Japanese creation cosplayers.

Cosplay in my opinion isn't just dressing up as anime characters. Cosplay isn't just a hobby either... it's a lifestyle and it's a commiunity. You can "cosplay" anything. There is no "right" and "wrong" way to cosplay. There is no "right" or "wrong" place to cosplay as well.. generally speaking that is. You could find it wrong to cosplay in a rough neighbourhood, but you understand what I mean.. lol. As long as you are in that costume, no matter what it is, you belong to a cosplay community. Anime conventions are basically cosplay conventions. Just because their theme is anime, why not wear a Disney costume, or a Lotr costume... I don't see the big deal with what costume you wear.

Briareos
01-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Personally I dont mind if people turn up to a convention dress in something different from the topic, but if I went to a Star trek convention dress in a anime costume and I was the only one there, I may feel that I somehow dont belong there. I can understand other people coming to the convention not because of the cosplay but for the anime/manga topic. They may feel it is weird that there are people dress up as Star wars and LOTR characters there. If everyone comes to a convention dress in whatever, then why called it a anime convention (Yeah, this one was a little bit rude, but sue me ^.^)????
The reason that video game characters and J-pop musician are accepted at anime con's could be that they are Japanese related. Just my two cents.

Oh, one Minnie mouse coming up ;)

-Bri

Daitenshi
01-11-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Limeyaku
http://www.cosplaylab.com/pics/12157.jpg

SO CUTE!!!! *spazzes a lot* HEHE! ^_^ And original too!

There! That's exactly what one of my friends is doing. No silly mascot type suit.... she just loves the look of Donald's clothes in the game =D

Karisu-sama
01-11-2003, 04:42 AM
To the Japanese, as far as I know,"anime" does indeed mean all animation, while in the US we tend to refer to it as meaning only animation from Japan.

"Cosplay" = wear a costume (costuming = make a costume). At Anime cons this tends to be in the vast majority anime-derived recreation-costuming, but at SF (Speculative Fiction) cons, "cosplay" runs the whole gamut from media (movies, TV, Warner Brothers, etc.) costumes, to literary-related costumes (based on book characters, sometimes off the cover art), to gaming costumes, to anime costumes, to historical-type costumes, to entirely original concept costumes.

For me personally, I also really like the eclecticism of the latter, which is one reason I've gone to SF cons for years. :)

Mira Twilight
01-09-2004, 02:17 AM
What I'd like to know is when did anime conventions become "cosplay conventions" anyway? A lot of other fans hate us in the same way just for wearing our costumes in the first place, and I know most of us don't appreciate being made fun of for it. This arguement is a lost cause. If you don't like the latter cosplay deriving from genre other than strict anime, then don't aknowledge it. Nobody's all of a sudden forcing you to change you own cosplay preference or personal style, so who cares? No matter how much people complain about Disney/Star Wars/Harry Potter cosplay etc at anime cons, it's still going to happen whether somebody likes it or not as a personal choice.

They make the same choice as we do when we get into our dorky anime costumes and go out into public for our own personal enjoyment anyway. We're no different, it's just coming from another veiwpoint, as say an innocent bystander makes when they see us all decked out in costume on a busy city street. I know I personally dress up or cosplay as whatever I feel like, as I do it for my own enjoyment, not for other's expenses.

Winry
01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
What I'd like to know is when did anime conventions become "cosplay conventions" anyway? A lot of other fans hate us in the same way just for wearing our costumes in the first place, and I know most of us don't appreciate being made fun of for it. This arguement is a lost cause. If you don't like the latter cosplay deriving from genre other than strict anime, then don't aknowledge it. Nobody's all of a sudden forcing you to change you own cosplay preference or personal style, so who cares? No matter how much people complain about Disney/Star Wars/Harry Potter cosplay etc at anime cons, it's still going to happen whether somebody likes it or not as a personal choice.

I somewhat agree with you Mira. So what if the costume it not from anime/anime game it could still be consider cosplay cause they are dress up as a character from a TV series or movie. That is what cosplay is isn't? Dressing up in a costume as a certain character? If it not then why are we even calling it cosplay and not something else that specific that is for anime only?

Hime no Toki
01-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Ok I'm going to add in my own two cents, just for the heck of it and to contribute to this debate/discussion...

Yes, anime cons are primarily anime-based gatherings. However, most anime cons if not ALL are also related to Japanese culture in general. So you are likely to see at a con different forms of costuming. A large majority are anime characters...then you see a lot of game characters too, since many games are Japanese-based. After all, where else would game cosplayers go if they wanted to attend a con? An anime con is a good place for them, and to me they fit right in. Though I myself am not into game cosplay, only anime/manga. Just because I am not for it doesn't mean I can ridicule people who DO want to cosplay as their favorite game characters. It's a free country and they can do as they please, and I have seen great creativity when it comes to some intricate costumes of game characters. My one dispute has been that they should categorize costume contests by genre...game, anime, or other. And then break it down into sub-categories like novice, journeyman, expert, etc. That's just an example. Then again that's my humble opinion of how a contest should be run (or at least part of my opinion). But I think that's getting into a whole different topic since based on the posts I have read, this is simply about what costumes people should wear to an anime con and nothing about costuming contests that take place at afformentioned cons. Here's my opinion bottled up in one phrase...if you love a costume, regardless of whether it is game, anime, fantasy, whatever...make it. To bring to life a character you love is a great thing, and you can have so much fun doing it, so don't let anyone else spoil that fun for you. ^_^

*~Hime no Toki~*

Tasha Mac
01-10-2004, 12:37 AM
I'm probably gonna get creamed for this, but...

It's called "it's just a costume, get over it". :D

I mean, really...if it bothers you so much what other people choose to cosplay, maybe you're taking it more than a touch too seriously. I did Gluhen Aya at Otakon and I was actually afraid of getting in a screaming match with someone who thinks Gluhen sucks! And that's just wrong.

If they wanna dress up as somebody, let them. You'd be pretty pissed too if someone walked up to you and told you that whatever you were wearing wasn't suitable for a con.

That LotR pic from Comiket is awesome, btw. That Frodo is adorable. XD

Cyn
01-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Here's a random punch in the face from common sense.

If you don't like what's being cosplayed there, don't go to the convention.

It's a convention for the public's taste, not yours. Get over yourselves. You aren't the only one with opinions and preferences.

Tasha Mac
01-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Here's a random punch in the face from common sense.

If you don't like what's being cosplayed there, don't go to the convention.

It's a convention for the public's taste, not yours. Get over yourselves. You aren't the only one with opinions and preferences.

Woo-hoo! I couldn't have said it better myself! XD

Edit: And apparently, I didn't! XDXD

Gren
01-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Because video games merely need to have a single sprite modeled (though for squaresoft, 2 are often made. One for in game and one by the firm that makes the FMVs.) and then moved around at your will, games are capagle of using much more intircate costumes with much more ease than 2D animators can. Because of this, you get a lot of great cosplay potential from these game, jusyt as one does from anime. So they'll always be popular. Yar har.

BladeOfKey
02-04-2004, 06:56 PM
This thread has come about to me as interesting because I am, in fact, making a Donald Duck costume. I'm having a friend make a goofy costume and another to make one for King Mickey.

For some reason though, I don't feel like there should be an issue here. Anime is actually the french word for drawings that animate. We all know that disney was one of the first that buries the style and technology which inspired the japanese animations of today. so was it really so bad? :bigcry:

Yeah, disney has gotten alot weirder now that it's a big corporation.. but that's more to do with it's business leaders than it's characters.

But really, if costuming must be so picky, then why is it that I see Jedis, Matrix people, and LOTR cosplayers around so constantly? They are clearly not anime related, they aren't even cartoons. And they're not japanese either, but you see them in cons anyways. Even in cons directly in japan you'd still see them because that's just what the cosplayer wants to wear.

And what about those who don't come in costume at all? Being yourself doesn't make you an anime character or the such, but cons obviously let them in for they're the vast majority of the con's business which allows us to have what we have. That's all the ranting I have for the moment.

Oh, for those who wonder about the pants, what I'm planning on having is a pair of pants that matches Donald's color scheme: White fading into yellow. It seems more appropriate than running around pantsless I believe... and since you guys make such an issue over this particular costume, I'mma show it to you guys the moment I get finished with it ~_^ :wave:

Anyways...

Quack on!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

topleka
02-04-2004, 10:37 PM
::stares:: Is there a point to this conversation? If we aren't going to do anything related to Disney, maybe we shouldn't do any Spirited Away or Mononoke-Hime cosplay. Sure it's an anime convention, but often times they are referred to as anime and gaming conventions.

Like BladeofKey pointed out, that doesn't actually restrict the cosplay anyway. Last con I went to had Legolas (who won a hall cosplay award), Harry Potter, Hermione, and a bunch fo video game characters. What about Zelda and Mario? Are they not allowed in conventions?

I'm basically repeating what everyone else is saying, I suppose. But seriously...