PDA

View Full Version : Masquerade preparation

Eccoglyph
06-23-2004, 11:20 AM
For those who haven't checked recently, the Otakon Masq pre-registration form went up over the weekend. Out of curiosity, and this is for all Masqs, not just Otakon's, how far in advance do you usually have your skits outlined? The form is pretty detailed in that is asks who will be in the skit, what character each person is playing, description of the skit, special needs, etc. We have had our skit idea for over a year, the general plotline worked out about a month ago, but are only now formalizing the details (Otakon's in 5 weeks). Do any of you do it differently?

Anyway - sign up soon, and I look forward to seeing you Otakon Masquers backstage!

Xanthix
06-24-2004, 04:39 PM
It really depends on the skit. One year we had a simple skit that just involved us going on stage and saying a few lines, so we practiced it the day before the con, but another year we had a skit with music and dancing, so we had to practice for 4 weekends to get it right.

Think of it as like you would a school presentation or school play. You need time for planning, writing and editing, and depending on the skit, production (music, props, etc) and blocking/choreography.

Dany
06-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Out of curiosity, and this is for all Masqs, not just Otakon's, how far in advance do you usually have your skits outlined?

There is how far ahead I'd like to be, and how far ahead my track record has me at. Ideally, I would like to have the presentation about two months in advance, with the costume ready enough to practice in a bit for the sake of working with blocking, props, and other stuff.

My track record, however, has had me scraping together stuff quite literally on the fly, and practicing it in the hotel room, all while grabbing whatever opportunities to see/interact with staging that I can get my hands on. The reason for this, I've concluded, is random changes in my schedule where one moment I'm saying "eh, I don't know if I can make this Con" and the next I'm going "OK, I'm going and I'm in the Masquerade. What the heck am I doing that won't get me booed off stage???"

That question gives me more restless nights than you realize... :\

ayn*chan
07-04-2004, 07:12 AM
My skits are usually prepared MONTHS in advance. For Akon, however, we had to regroup and came up with another skit the night before the masque and won best skit.....just goes to show that a long prep time isn't nessicarily nessicary. ;)