PDA

View Full Version : Solid Snake MGS2

E1000BASE-TX
06-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Ok for Sakura Con 2005 I plan to cosplay Solid Snake form MGS2. Im still in the planing stages and I'm not going to get anything in till I'm sure with my design.

Suply list
- Gray BDUImg (http://www.imsplus.com/images/graydu.jpg)
- Patrol Belt(Black) Img (http://www.pssstequipment.com/images_products/2247_big.jpg)
- BlackHawk S.F. Enhanced Load Bearing Vest(Black) Img (http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/uploads/product_images/31SF03BK,DE,OD,WC_1.jpg)
- Hatch Kp250(Kne Pads) Img (http://www.copquest.com/12-2100.jpg)
- Hatch Ep300 (Elbo Pads) Img (http://www.copquest.com/12-2110.jpg)
- Infantry Combat Boots Img (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/E1000base-tx/7664895.jpg)
- MK-23 Leg Holster(Black) Img (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/E1000base-tx/MK-23HolsterBlack.jpg)

Pleas look at scan.jpg wile reading this

Most of this I already own and the rest i can get at the local Army Surplus shop.

1th, the repelling harness. I going to make this form 1.5in strapping and make a belt for each leg. then I'm going to sow 2 straps for each belt and loop them into the belt.
2th, when I'm done with the leg harness and the Loadbearing suspenders I'm going to atach them to the "BlackHawk Padded Patrol Belt(Black)
3th, the Bandana, 1.5 - 2in wide and a yard long.

This is most likely going to take me a year mostly paying for all of this stuff but in the end it will be worth it.
Now any tips, advice, questions, comments or rants about my costume destine?

Edit/ Suply changes.
Edit/ Idea change(1-4 is aculy 4-7 on skan.jpg)
Edit/ Suply changes agan. + some things i took out because of funding.

LancerFoxtrot07
06-26-2004, 01:16 PM
just be sure you clear security. i'll have to do the same with my USP and M4/RIS. keep the orange tips on your weapons and some orange tape on hand; they may ask you to tape the underside of your mags.

if you're going as snake from the tanker chapter...snake is wearing form fitting clothing. i'm not sure if you're in great physical shape or not, but you can try a turtleneck or something. if you are in great shape, underarmour comes in gray...you'll just have to remove the markings.

E1000BASE-TX
06-26-2004, 05:43 PM
All right thanks I will look into the Underarmour. I think I may use Underarmor instead of the Swat Gray BDU because it maches the color but the Underarmour is more expensive. It benefits to run every day ^_^. O ya another quetion, wich whould you use? Gray or Navy Blue? Now how do you think my Webgear is going to come out?

LancerFoxtrot07
06-26-2004, 09:16 PM
gray would probably work best...though snakes uni seems to be something like blue/gray. for the sake of carrying things (your money, keys, etc) try out the BDU pants...just in case you find the leggings a little too "revealing".

the webgear you have is more than what snake wears...you could try just making the loadbearing vest that he has, then attaching the pouches to it.

E1000BASE-TX
06-26-2004, 09:53 PM
The pouches that I have will be more than enough to hold my wallet and car keys. And i don't rely care about being to "revealing", I'm not inbariced easily and i don't think any one would rely mind. Which reminds me to get some breafs so my boxers won't stick out. The web gear is a bit much but I do have the time to work at it. The radio and knife are uneasy but I do need the radio to contact other staff members. I probity need a difrent set of Knee and elbow pads, probity my wrestling knee and elbow pads will do the trick.

LancerFoxtrot07
06-26-2004, 10:02 PM
your current pads should be ok. try boxer briefs; they're form fitting like briefs, but they won't the line around where your torso meets your legs.

E1000BASE-TX
06-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Wow thanks LancerFoxtrot07 for the advice. That rely helped.
O ya I also plan to have the Box to. Is there any other things that i should pay attention to before i start to pay for the supples?

blackvar
06-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Wow, this is awsome here, I think I may have to get some funds together so I can go as Solid at Ushicon. Also, I probably should grow my hair out some, just to get the right effect, haha

LancerFoxtrot07
06-27-2004, 08:20 PM
review all of the gear to make sure you actually need it. there's no reason to buy items that aren't needed for the costume. other than that, just make sure everything fits tight and comfortably, and that you get your MK23 checked with security. DO NOT remove the orange tip. that's illegal.

E1000BASE-TX
06-28-2004, 01:34 AM
How about facial hair? Or should i just ignore that detail?

LancerFoxtrot07
06-28-2004, 01:46 AM
just make sure you get it to grow in fully. better to go clean than with peachfuzz.

E1000BASE-TX
06-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Probity have to go clean then...
About the Underarmer, I can not find any full pants in gray. know where I may find some? If not I can still use the BDU pant's. The BDU's pants has a detail that the Underarmer doesn't have so i may use the BDU anyway.

O ya thanks for hellping me I'm very apreachetednt.

LancerFoxtrot07
06-28-2004, 10:55 PM
go with the BDU pants. it should be fine. but yeah, double check your inventory with what snake wears. it'll save you some money.

E1000BASE-TX
06-29-2004, 08:43 PM
well good news. My dad is going to teach me how to sow straps. This means I get to make apart of the webgear. I'm sill buying the belt and the suspenders but the lag harnice i get to make my self. Good part about that is it will be strong enough to hold my own weight. I have a thing about making something to do what it was attended for.

E1000BASE-TX
07-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Wild idea but it may work. Think I can find a decommissioned "stinger missile" or whould i be better off making my own?

blackvar
07-07-2004, 04:55 PM
I would have to go with making one...I could see the look on the security gaurds faces when someone walks in with a stinger missile launcher. A few calls to homeland would be made haha

BitterBeing
07-07-2004, 05:54 PM
You don't need to buy the tactical MOLLE vest and the load bearing suspenders; that'd be pointless, and they wouldn't mesh together well.

(Seeing as I cosplay Snake and his million variations, I hope I know what I'm talking about. oO)

Snake's tactical vest from MGS2 is this-

http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1929&d=

Go. Run. Enjoy.

And look at my MGS3 cosplay. :P

LancerFoxtrot07
07-07-2004, 09:32 PM
You should be able to tailor that BH vest to your body as well.

As for the Stinger (good luck toting that around while you shop), you're looking at some PVC pipe, a small box or two, and a bunch of spraypaint. When you do the decals, you can try printing them off your compy and then affixing them with rubber cement, just make sure that the outside area around the letters matches your paint color. It'll take a few color tests, but you can do it.

blackvar
07-20-2004, 02:01 AM
You don't need to buy the tactical MOLLE vest and the load bearing suspenders; that'd be pointless, and they wouldn't mesh together well.

(Seeing as I cosplay Snake and his million variations, I hope I know what I'm talking about. oO)

Go. Run. Enjoy.

Wow, that looks almost just like it...now I just have to make the choice...Trueno...cosplay...car...costume...the choices

E1000BASE-TX
07-21-2004, 02:58 AM

Go. Run. Enjoy.

Thanks man this is very usfull. The truth is i seen this in one my dads Army cadologs(My dad was Army Ranger) Knowing how my design may come out it would be better to use the "BlackHawk S.F.Enhanced Load Bearing Vest Black".

BTW Seen your cosplay of MGS1 and MGSSE, Good job.

E1000BASE-TX
08-04-2004, 04:56 AM
Update/
I have decided to be an all black Solid Snake. Meaning I will have black underarmer, bandanna, and web gear. Why? It just looks cooler and I have seen it done and it looks better that way.

BitterBeing
08-04-2004, 12:07 PM
I'd advise against it. Do grey. I thought about black a couple times, but after seeing how bad my blue undersuit looked in pictures, I took a happy medium and went with grey.

LancerFoxtrot07
08-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Go gray...go gray...it's closer to the character design, bro.

E1000BASE-TX
08-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Ever seen it done before? I have seen it and I think it looks cooler.
http://www.mega64.com/

BitterBeing
08-05-2004, 11:15 AM
When the garment you wear under your gear is as dark as your gear, it doesn't look nearly as good in my opinion. The gear should stand out.

E1000BASE-TX
08-06-2004, 05:20 AM
When the garment you wear under your gear is as dark as your gear, it doesn't look nearly as good in my opinion. The gear should stand out.
I will try it and see how it comes out.

NeoSpike
08-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Hey...maybe ou should..uh...go as ...well...SNAKE IN HIS FRIGGN' TUX! I MENA, C'MON, PEOPLE! I DID IT BEFORE AND EVERYBODY LOVED IT! Plus it jsut looks soo much cooler when your goin' around Otakon totin' a fake Fa-Mas in a Tux. Feels like your James Bond in a bandana.

BitterBeing
08-11-2004, 01:20 AM
Hey...maybe ou should..uh...go as ...well...SNAKE IN HIS FRIGGN' TUX! I MENA, C'MON, PEOPLE! I DID IT BEFORE AND EVERYBODY LOVED IT! Plus it jsut looks soo much cooler when your goin' around Otakon totin' a fake Fa-Mas in a Tux. Feels like your James Bond in a bandana.

Been there, done that, buddy. :/

http://www.indyddr.com/photos/images/2004/051404/051404-0018.jpg

lookie. not a good pic, but lookie.

E1000BASE-TX
08-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Seen it done during Sakura Con 2004. It was allright I guess, but I rather go in full webgear. O ya about the hole Black and Gray thing, Im going to try out both and see which works better. Just started to buy the suplys.

foxhound
08-31-2004, 05:22 PM
All right thanks I will look into the Underarmour. I think I may use Underarmor instead of the Swat Gray BDU because it maches the color but the Underarmour is more expensive. It benefits to run every day ^_^. O ya another quetion, wich whould you use? Gray or Navy Blue? Now how do you think my Webgear is going to come out? gray is sexier and your webgear will come out greatby the way if anyone knows where i can fing a ninja helmet tell me cuz,im not so goot a making mask except raiden cuz his is easy by thee way how much does that costume cost total $$$$

hadokn
09-01-2004, 08:28 PM
We have almost the exact same list of stuff to buy! I'm going to the jtaf in san francisco I'm going as Snake from twin snakes. I get paid today and I'm gonna be so broke tommorrow. lol. I was thinking about making a stinger out of pvc pipe. That would be awesome.

Trooper715
09-02-2004, 02:37 AM
We have almost the exact same list of stuff to buy! I'm going to the jtaf in san francisco I'm going as Snake from twin snakes. I get paid today and I'm gonna be so broke tommorrow. lol. I was thinking about making a stinger out of pvc pipe. That would be awesome.

You're going to JTAF as snake?

hm...I think I'll go dig up my Gurlukovich/Spetsnaz soldier costume...0_o

hadokn
09-02-2004, 01:25 PM
You're going to JTAF as snake?

hm...I think I'll go dig up my Gurlukovich/Spetsnaz soldier costume...0_o

That'd be so cool! I was trying to get my girlfriend to go as meryl, but she's working on her rei costume ver.2 and she's not so into metal gear.

Trooper715
09-02-2004, 07:43 PM
That'd be so cool! I was trying to get my girlfriend to go as meryl, but she's working on her rei costume ver.2 and she's not so into metal gear.

Heh, to be honest I never actually played any of the metal gear games (own no PS2, only X-Box). I just watched my friend play the demo and loved the uniforms. I'm a sucker for military gear. :cool:

So what days you going to go as Snake?

hadokn
09-03-2004, 01:24 PM

Right now, it looks like saturday but most of the cosplay stuff is sunday so i'd rather go then. I have to talk to my boss and see if I can get sunday off. I'll keep you posted.

foxhound
09-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Wow, this is awsome here, I think I may have to get some funds together so I can go as Solid at Ushicon. Also, I probably should grow my hair out some, just to get the right effect, haha that the total oppisite for me i need to shorten my hear a bit because im planning to go as mgs1 solid snake to my next convention

E1000BASE-TX
09-07-2004, 01:05 AM
If I made a stinger I would probly use wood because I just learnd how to use a laith. Wood is easy to work with.

hadokn
09-08-2004, 10:28 PM

It's for sure, I'm going on sunday. If you wanna go spetsnaz that'd be awesome. It'd make for good photos. Hope to see you there.

Trooper715
09-11-2004, 01:39 AM
It's for sure, I'm going on sunday. If you wanna go spetsnaz that'd be awesome. It'd make for good photos. Hope to see you there.

Ah, I'll see if I can make it out for both days. Saturday I probably won't dress up, but I'll see about putting on the costume for sunday and keeping an eye out for you. 0_o Hope to see you there also!

Edit: I might not be able to make it Sunday, but I'll try.

E1000BASE-TX
11-01-2004, 11:19 PM
UPDATE
I will be able to get the SF-LBV vest by the end of Dec this year. As fare as the other supples/equipment goes I'm still not sure. Just thought you might like to know I'm sill working on this thing.

SF-LBV
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/E1000base-tx/31SF03BKDEODWC_1.jpg

E1000BASE-TX
12-21-2004, 01:45 AM
Would any one recommend a good wig that looks like "Solid Snakes" hair? I was going to grow a mullet but I decided to get a crew cut for wrestling season.

Chocochick
12-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Would any one recommend a good wig that looks like "Solid Snakes" hair? I was going to grow a mullet but I decided to get a crew cut for wrestling season.

When's the season over? Seriously, I would just grow it out, wether it turns into a mullet or not. I think natural hair would look better than a wig for Snake, especially since all the male wigs I've seen look like roadkill with a combover.

E1000BASE-TX
12-21-2004, 11:30 PM
When's the season over? Seriously, I would just grow it out, wether it turns into a mullet or not. I think natural hair would look better than a wig for Snake, especially since all the male wigs I've seen look like roadkill with a combover.
February 19th. But the Con starts 2 mounts latter on April so I'm not sure if I will be able to grow it out by then. Or should I just stick with the hair I got?

Chocochick
12-24-2004, 12:42 AM
February 19th. But the Con starts 2 mounts latter on April so I'm not sure if I will be able to grow it out by then. Or should I just stick with the hair I got?

Well, if you get the cut and then only get it trimmed occasionaly, it'll be long enough to pull off the look. If you did want to get a wig, the cosplay.com wig store has some interesting ones under Short Wigs and Mens wigs, but they are pricey (with a good reason).

E1000BASE-TX
12-24-2004, 02:59 AM
Well, if you get the cut and then only get it trimmed occasionaly, it'll be long enough to pull off the look. If you did want to get a wig, the cosplay.com wig store has some interesting ones under Short Wigs and Mens wigs, but they are pricey (with a good reason).
Ok thanks.

E1000BASE-TX
12-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Well my vest just came in. It's better than I expected. But I do think I would look better if I used a Gray BDU instead of under armor. What do you think?

loner
01-03-2005, 11:46 AM
mmmm thats interesting which snake do you plan on using that for?

hadokn's vest looks more like solid snakes

cuz i dont recall any type of vest that snake wears that looks like that?

E1000BASE-TX
01-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Solid Snake form Metal Gear Solid 2. Its hard to see what my new vest looks like because of the light. But it looks like Snakes vest to me.
Have any info on "hadokn's vest"?

E1000BASE-TX
04-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Ok I'm done with my MGS2 costume.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...2005018copy.jpg
This was atSakura Con 2005.