PDA

View Full Version : need advice for a cosplay

chibi kikyo
12-01-2002, 01:57 PM
:thumbsup: hI!! I want to cosplay kikyo(then inuyasha but that'll wait) but i need advice on how to start (ex. what type of clothe is best, how do i make the pattern, ect.) i'm pretty sure i can make the shirt and i already know how to sew. so please reply! THANKIES!!!

Nyoko
12-01-2002, 10:13 PM
um, have you gone and looked at other cosplayers who have done that costume?? also there is a site that has a pattern for the hakama pants. here http://luxnova.home.mindspring.com/samuraigame/
well as to the fabric, anything stiff (kinda the guid line I fallowed when I made my Inu Yasha costume...) If you want a exsact type of fadric, take a look at the section for kemono fabrics.

Koumori
12-01-2002, 11:32 PM
It doesn't look to me as though that site has an actual pattern for hakama, though it will tell you how to wear one once you've got it. I recommend buying one from a martial arts supply store; I've also made them, but they're very time consuming and require a couple of hours of crawling around on the floor marking and setting pleats. www.round-earth.com , which is an aikido supplier, sells an excellent set of templates and instructions for making hakama if you want to go that route.

Nyoko
12-01-2002, 11:57 PM
ack! it did at one point... >.<

SailorAndromeda
12-02-2002, 10:15 AM
There is, under "Reference Pages", there's also a yukata pattern. looks complicated, somewhat. ^^

Koumori
12-02-2002, 10:51 AM
OOps, my bad. Yeah, it's not explained very clearly. I'd really recommend getting the templates from Round Earth - their instructions are very nice and clear, and I had no trouble making hakama from them. Except for the investment of time and energy - if I needed a simple cotton one, I would just buy one instead. If I were going to make one out of wool or some other period fabric, then I might consider trying to do it myself again.

Dark_Kamui
12-02-2002, 03:47 PM
http://64.224.182.55/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/ord/04acc/04hakama-a.htm

^_^ There yah go. I'm planning to buy my hakama from there for my Tachibana Ukyo from Samurai Showdown costume for Otakon. Kinda pricey I suppose but I think it's owrth the investment. Since you're going to want a red one, just buy one of the white ones and go on and dye it.