PDA

View Full Version : Dancers

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Do you coreography it on your own or enlist help from a dance instructor? I'm having a hard time thinking of what to do for my dance. I thought about not having any set moves and just dancing like NiNa dances in the background of DDR...but what fun is THAT for the crowd...I'm kind of doing well...It's just certain parts of the song that is bugging me...can't find any amazing, wowing moves for those parts.

Lene
06-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Do you coreography it on your own or enlist help from a dance instructor? I'm having a hard time thinking of what to do for my dance. I thought about not having any set moves and just dancing like NiNa dances in the background of DDR...but what fun is THAT for the crowd...I'm kind of doing well...It's just certain parts of the song that is bugging me...can't find any amazing, wowing moves for those parts.

If you know a dance instructor that would be willing to help you, then go ahead ^^. But usually you might end up coming up with it yourself or asking a friend knowledgable in dance to do it. Something that helps me is to watch a bunch of music videos where there are those big choreography pieces and get ideas with that. Are you doing this by yourself or with a group?

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Yeah! That's what I do...I got Darren's Dance Grooves at the house and I'm borrowing moves. (not whole dances because that's just insanely not original...which is what i like to be

Xanthe Kelsylva
06-28-2004, 04:24 PM
If you want to see good dance moves, just watch a few professional dance performances. There's some ballets that are available on tape; a few hours of that should get you thinking about dance. A lot of times it helps to work with a group, too.

Also, a lot of performing a dance isn't the moves themselves; it's how you pull them off.

Eleryth
06-28-2004, 11:22 PM
What type of dance is it that you're doing? I personally really enjoy the opening of Tenjou Tenge - it's a hip-hop style dance, as far as I can tell (I don't know dance terms or anything).

Do you have any friends that could help you? Or maybe watch movies that have well known dance scenes in the style you're after? What's that one with that Stiles girl.... Save the Last Dance? Or even go back father - Thriller, West Side Story, or steal from A Knight's Tale (the dance scene), Buffy's musical...

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Well...I don't really know what type of dance...some movements mixed with a bit of hip hop...something DDR-ish without looking like i'm stepping on arrows...I could always watch the DDR freestylers and see what they do...but they're all so panic-ky about people stealing their routines (they have every RIGHT to be, however)

_Mandy_
06-30-2004, 02:33 PM
If your looking for moves try renting musicals. I know it sounds lame but you'd be amazed the cool stuff you could turn into a hip-hopish dance without looking like it's a musical. Last year me and my friends did a dance to "Magic Carpet Ride" (it was a remix used in Austin Powers I think) and it worked awesome for hiphop. It all depends on how you stylize it. Other movies like Bring It On and Center Stage have some good moves too. If you see any cheerleading/dance competitions on TV tape those and watch the routines.

*Shiva*
06-30-2004, 08:20 PM
*nods* When I'm choreographing for my dance company and I'm out of ideas, I put a blank tape in my VCR and start channel surfing. Anything with choreography - music videos, advertizements, movie clips, anything. The best are the dance team competitions on ESPN. I also watch old recitial tapes for moves I can borrow (these are great if you can borrow them from friends - I often trade with friends who were in different shows so I can see what their company is doing).

Honestly, I'd save a dance teacher for a last resort. It's more original and ultimately rewarding, to come up with it all yourself.