PDA

View Full Version : Singing

Lene
06-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Well for Yasumicon I'm going to Cosplay as Tomoyo from CCS and being in Character, I'm planning to sing. I'm extremely confident about singing and I've been performing for about 11 years (and I'm only 16 turning 17) so I know I can pull it off.

The problem is song choice. Should I sing something CCS, or should I pick a song that I know most people will know. Would it seem weird if you saw Tomoyo singing the first verse of Cruel Angel's Thesis? Or it doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good? x.x

I'm looking for something short and preferably (sp?) fast paced (meaning that it doesn't take too long to get to the chorus) but if you know of a good song that's slow and I can cut off quick then go ahead ^^.

ZiggyB
06-28-2004, 03:21 PM
On a slightly related note, you might want to make sure that the convention has stage mics for you.

At some conventions, they only allow pre-recorded music and dialog or only have floor mics, etc.

Lene
06-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I sent an e-mail about it to the person in charge of Cosplay at Yasmuicon. Last year however, there was a girl singing Simple and Clean from Kindom Hearts, so I'm guessing that this year they will be able to do the same thing. Here's hoping the answer is Yes!!

If I'm able to do it, I'll go early and make sure that everything is okay :p. If they don't have a mic, I have a few that I can take with me and use...if it comes to that.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
06-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Why not just sing at the Karoke? (or however it's spelled...) IF the con has one...don't know if every con has 'em...But i agree...ask for stage mics...That's what I must do because I'm doing a monolouge for my first masq. :)

Lene
06-28-2004, 06:14 PM
They don't have a Karaoke...believe me, if they did, I'd do that ^__^. But unless the people at Yasumicon say no singing, then I am going to sing. So back to my other question about whether it would be appropiate if I decided to sing something from outside the series that I'm cosplaying in.

Michi
06-28-2004, 08:59 PM
I think it'd be best to sing something Tomoyo sang, and she did have a good number of songs in CCS. You could do "Watashi Dake no Movie Star" from that one vocal album... That's fast and happy and cute. ^_^

Lene
06-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Michi- Thanks for suggestion. I still have to find Karaoke tracks though. Haven't been much sucessful with it. I mean I have karaoke for Groovy and Catch You Catch Me but that's about it x.x

Ack, I just got an e-mail from one of the coordinators for Yasumicon. They say that there isn't pre-registration for the con so that means that they will have absolutely no warning of what I'm planning to do. So right now it seems that I probably won't sing anything, but I asked whether I can still sing something there. Hopefully if the answer is yes, then they'll at least have something set up that will allow me to sing x.x

Michi
06-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Well, Tomoyo singing Catch You Catch Me would be cute too. ^_^ I mean, hey, Sakura sang a version. ^^

Sadly I just realized, I don't think Watashi Dake no Movie Star has a karaoke as it was never a single. Tomoyo did have some songs that have karaoke versions though..

Eleryth
06-28-2004, 11:18 PM
You could prerecord yourself singing, and burn it to a cd. That way, you can still "sing", and sing along for real with it. If there are no mikes, or if you get sick, or something, then you'd have a backup plan.

There are computer programs you can download that let you edit audio tracks. All you'd need is the mike, and the karaoke track. Play the karaoke track on the headphones, and then sing into the mike. THe audio program can put them together (as long as you figure out how). A friend figured this out for us, when we had a FILK in a skit. Then test the cd on a few players, to make sure the balance is ok.

I personally think this is your best option, considering. Now, if they don't have a cd player available, then... well.... that's just weird.

I also think seeing Tomoyo sing Catch You Catch Me would be really cute. Plus, its a well-known CCS song.

Lene
06-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Haha it would but that song just twists my tongue in all the weirdest places.

Eleryth- Doing that would be easy but how would that work? So I'd be singing along with myself? Or lipsynching it?

Eleryth
06-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Whatever you want, I think. My group lipsynched (mainly because none of us can sing, and none of us did the singing part for our skit, anyway), but you could most definitely sing along, if you wanted (or if there's mikes, or whatever; it's what I would do, if I could sing). Or, if you're sure of yourself, bring two cds - one with you already singing, and one with the karaoke track, just in case they have mikes they could lend you while onstage. Better yet, have both tracks on the one cd, and give directions to play one or the other, once you figure out if they have the things you need to sing properly.

Good luck! You can do it. Personally, I think singing a song more people associate with CCS is a better idea... I've never heard of this other song, and you might risk the chance that people will think "what is that song from? Is it from CCS?" and they wouldn't know for sure. Any of the themes should be good.

ayn*chan
07-05-2004, 07:25 AM
From experience, keep your song as short as possible, and I wouldn't rule out editing out any bridges and whatnot. Also, don't just staaaand there and sing, if you can come up with some sort of visual candy for you to do on stage while you sing it'll definetly help your performance. :) Best of luck to you! :D

Hinata
07-05-2004, 07:36 AM
My favourite Tomoyo song is "Yasashisa no Tane" and even though it's not fast paced, it's really sweet, and gives off that whole innocent, kind feeling.
I believe that there is a karaoke version of it, as well. ^^;

Pirate Usagi
07-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Definitely go for one of the Card Captor Sakura songs and not a well known song. ^^ This way you're still in character.

Ameria
07-05-2004, 06:04 PM
I think it would be most in character if you sang either of Tomoyo's songs that she sings in front of an audience in the series/2nd movie. I particularly love her song from the Song card episode. Maybe get yourself a friend to cosplay the Song card and then do a harmonized duet! It would be beautiful!

Elemental
07-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Singing anything from Sakura is probably your best bet, and I'd aim for something fast paced. Slow songs are nice, but can loose their interest pretty quick in a masquerade. As stated, do yourself and your audience a favour, and KEEP IT SHORT. A short, well done piece is amazing to everyone, because no one has a chance to get bored.

Ameria
07-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Yes, keeping it short is the best thing! That's also a reason I mentioned Yoru no Uta from the episode, because it was a shortened version with 2-part harmony. Harmonization takes things farther than just regular karaoke, too, so that could keep people interested. *nodnod* Just suggestions, though. Good luck with whatever you try!

Lene
07-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Elemental- Thanks for the advice ^^. I was looking for a fast-paced song but not Catch You Catch Me because that song is evil to me. So yep anything along those lines are okay, but I think that a lot of the CCS songs are fast paced to begin with ^^

Ameria-chan- Oh I love Yoru no Uta. The harmonization though might be interesting. If only I could get someone else to do it. But If I go with the prerecorded route then I could just have me singing both tracks right?

It looks like most people say that CSS songs are best and I'll go with that, if I do it. It doesn't look like it though x.x I still haven't gotten an answer from the Yasumicon forum but...just still nice to know -.-

Ameria
07-06-2004, 12:32 AM
You could, but at the same time pre-recorded of your own singing just seems kind of silly to me... It's like cabaret of yourself. Hm.. Wait, you're doing it at Yasumi?! =D I'll sing with you! *wavewave* XD

Lene
07-06-2004, 12:55 AM
You could, but at the same time pre-recorded of your own singing just seems kind of silly to me... It's like cabaret of yourself. Hm.. Wait, you're doing it at Yasumi?! =D I'll sing with you! *wavewave* XD

That's what I thought too but everyone on this board seems to say that's the best way to go, so it wouldn't hurt to have one track have it like someone else mentioned a few posts up.

And I *hope* to do it Yasumi-con. Hope is the keyword x.x