PDA

View Full Version : How far would you go with your cosplay?

Legato/Machan
06-15-2002, 08:09 AM
Woohooo!!!
I've just seen some photos from the last con here and I saw men in Sailor Moon groups costume!!! I've never thought that someone would go so far!!!
What about you guys? How far would you go?
I would never dress up like a feminine cosplay or cuties cosplay.

see ya

Legato/Machan

Rosiel
06-15-2002, 08:45 AM
> men in Sailor Moon groups costume!!!

Well, I am a girl and I would never wear a Sailor Fuku. ^___^
I guess I would draw the line at plush suits and really skimpy outfits. But then... "never say never"... I said I would never do JRock and I might as a favor to a friend. >_<

And your sig makes me sad. It reminds me we got eliminated in the first round. waaaaaaah. But, er, we're still World Champions until the next one wins the final!

So, since France is out, Go Germany!

Nietsche
06-15-2002, 12:48 PM
Meh! You wouldn't catch me in knee length boots, tight fitting pants or fancy headwear...

<Vyse- :fuming: >

Oops..well then at least I wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt and fancy cuffs...

<Ryudo- :miffed: >

-Oh..damn... my mistake...well I wouldn't go out in anything skimpy....

<Zero- :mad: >

..Ah..urm.....!
Never mind...but i have my limits..honestly!

The_manhamster
06-15-2002, 02:16 PM
I try to stay in the normal areas of cosplay, if only to escape the funny looks of my parents...

Asuka Langley
06-15-2002, 04:25 PM
I problably wouldn't do any male cosplay... reaaaally not my type ^^'

And also, i definetly wouldn't put cushions on my butt to make it look bigger... - cause I know someone who did... '

*Asuka Langley

Ginny
06-15-2002, 05:37 PM
I would do anything. Aside from J-rock cosplay, cause that's just not my thing. But yah, I'll do anything if I like the character ^.^

Ranma Saotome
06-15-2002, 07:14 PM
I'd possibly do a cross cosplay. I've toyed with the idea of doing Utena or Pyoko... But I'd prolly have to force myself to do it and like it. :p

Asuka, are you serious?!

pookie-kun
06-15-2002, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure what I'd cross the line at.. I'd do someone super bishounen (like Kuja...! mm.. hee hee) but I would never.. ever.. wear sera fuku. just.. not.. my thing >.< I'd probably wear a dress and put on makeup IF i could be pretty when I did it.. for a character.. but if I didnt look like the character I wouldnt do it.

I won't do cosplay for characters that I can't easily look like.. :) Kuja is just some makeup and a wig so it's alright.

Nadeshiko
06-15-2002, 10:26 PM
I've crossplayed a few times as Wolfwood and Shinji. So, I'm open to cosplaying as bish.

I draw the line at skimpy costumes. I really can't see myself doing them. ^^;;

Tenshi
06-15-2002, 10:53 PM
I've always, always wanted to crossplay. Although I love making magical girl costumes (and other outfits along that line) sometimes I feel silly trying to be cutesy at my height ^^;;. So crossplay will happen eventually (most likely come February ::dances:: ).

As for skimpiness -- err, it depends what area of the body it is. I absolutely refuse to show my stomach (I have a scar from a childhood operation ;_; ). Anywhere else, I'm pretty ok. I was a Sailor Senshi for Halloween '99 and my skirt was very accurate length-wise. I was being oogled by icky perverted old men. Give me fanboys any day! ::cough:: Uhh, anyways. . .

Jrock cosplay -- I'd most likely never do it at a convention, but it would be lovely to be Gackt or Mana for Halloween. The looks I'd get from my friends would be priceless! XD

Asuka Langley
06-15-2002, 11:15 PM
Yeah, i'm serious... u_u'

Anyway, this girl is known here as a tramp, now, of course...
well, she made her own image...

*Asuka Langley

Legato/Machan
06-15-2002, 11:45 PM
HUmmm ... Asuka, do I know this person? Is she kind familiar to someone? Who is she?
Err ... guys, what the problem w/ J-rock cosplay? What's the matter?

Yggdrasil Pie
06-16-2002, 01:39 AM
Hm... I would go dress up as an anime guy.
It would be fun!

But I think that's as far as I go. ^_^;;;;

Philia Philis
06-16-2002, 02:33 AM
Crossplay I'm fine with, even though binding hurts... ;_;
J-Rock I'm MORE than okay with XD (planning far too many of those.) I dunno what the problem is either, Legato.... Hmm... I dunno. I think it's kinda turned into something of a fad with people doing J-Rock stuff even though they don't know squat about the band they're cosplaying as. It's pretty ridiculous. I know people are gonna gripe at me about that one, but really, people. You should at least like the band for their music, not just their look. But anyway. Probably shouldn't open up that little can of worms. ^^;;; I'm just glad to see people here uninterested in J-Rock aren't jumping in on the fad. ^^
Aaaanywho, back on topic, one thing I don't do is skimpy stuff. Aside from a little bit of leg-showing stuff, it's just like, noooo way. XD I'm far too self-conscious for it.
I also wouldn't cosplay characters/people I found particularly objectionable (like, say... Gackt. ^^;;; Nobody hurt me! *covers her head*) No yaoi, no hentai, etc etc etc.

Kenshin Ken
06-16-2002, 02:56 AM
Welp..if it counts to this topic, I have gone bare chested and bare footed in my Kuno costume at AX ^^;

Ayaka
06-16-2002, 03:11 AM
While I'm not entirely without fear, I'm nearly without fear. There's only one thing I won't do - cosplay a character I don't know anything about. Well, unless a friend really really needs someone to complete a group, and then I'll try to find out as much as I can. That's what I did with Youji, I hadn't seen WK but I made a point to find out what I could - and buy the first DVD - before I wore that costume out the door. But when it comes to exposure, I'll do whatever I think remains in good taste. I figure, if it looks good on you, go for it, pretty much. And obviously I don't mind crossplay, even though when I was thinking about cosplay I said there was no way I would. That's why I'm not saying "never" anymore, lol. The binding doesn't bother me, maybe I'm not doing it tight enough . . . lol. Or not enough to bind. *^^*

Jibrille
06-16-2002, 06:09 AM
> Crossplay I'm fine with, even though binding hurts... ;_;

I hear that one! (especially cause mine are..well, kinda big) i had to bind mine for Trunks... it gave me the proper male cleavage though... >.<;
and my friend had to bind hers to get into shinji's plug suit. pain.

and the farthest i've gone with cosplay was being a guy dressed as a lesbian. i think thats far enough for me...

^^;

MyuMyu
06-16-2002, 02:16 PM
*laugh*ive got limits *somewhere* although it seems i cant get away without doing one somewhat skanky costume per con. howd THAT happen @.@ I dont think id ever do Sera Myu, but you never know @.@ Im easily bribed into cosplaying stuff XD

oops.......shouldnta said that.......... *runs away*

Shion
06-16-2002, 03:29 PM
No limits whatsoever for me.

Legato/Machan
06-16-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Shion
No limits whatsoever for me.

Hummmm ... are you sure about it?

Babbit_Chan
06-17-2002, 03:10 AM
I can't do anything that's too skimpy around the chest area, sorry guys ^^;; I'll crossplay, s'not an issue with me ^_^ It's just that there aren't too many guys I want *to* crossplay... Jrock I would definitely do XD It's so pretty *-* I don't have the skill for it, but I would... O and nothing flashy/bright/gaudy

quixotic
06-17-2002, 10:18 AM
well, i'd say that right now my ability to actually make a costume limits me more than what i will or will not do. i will not crossplay. especially not as anyone from Sailor Moon. heh, saw a few people doing that at Akon. ::shaking head:: i don't get it at all.

i probably wouldn't ever cosplay as someone where the costume is a lot of work. maybe that'll change after i've actually tried it, but i'm doubting that.

yeah yeah, so i'm lazy. :P

Medellia
06-17-2002, 01:51 PM
I don't think there is anything I wouldn't do, it really depends on the situation. The only requirement is that I love the costume ^_^

peacecraft
06-17-2002, 08:47 PM
Really depend on my mood at the time I guess. I've done some crazy things that I'd never do again in my life, and I suppose the same sort of thing could happen in cosplay, you know, the sort of thing you look back on and think "What the hell was I thinking?".

I'm in the planning stages of a crossplay already, though its a "time permitting" kind of thing, but even so I won't be in a dress. I guess the bottom line is if I like the character or the show enough, I'd probably do it, but not definately.

chibi_kitty
06-18-2002, 01:24 AM
ok... well I might cross cosplay. I definately would dress as frank 'n furter (Rocky Horror Picture Show), but I hate really skimpy costumes. 1) they suck to wear 2)every guy looks at you 3)it is cold 4)you bluge in places you never thought you bluged in, and last but not least 5) my parents would kill me.
god! I was even randomly hugged last con I went to!!! and I was fully clothed! unless the person has an arm fetish........

HuongStar
06-18-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Nietsche
Meh! You wouldn't catch me in knee length boots, tight fitting pants or fancy headwear...

<Vyse- :fuming: >

Oops..well then at least I wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt and fancy cuffs...

<Ryudo- :miffed: >

-Oh..damn... my mistake...well I wouldn't go out in anything skimpy....

<Zero- :mad: >

..Ah..urm.....!
Never mind...but i have my limits..honestly!

:thumbsup: Randomness! Nietsche, do you know a lot about King of Bandits? I bought the art book and I loved the art but I don't know a thing about the series!

Scoti
06-18-2002, 02:16 PM
I would pretty much cosplay anyone under a few conditions 1) that it doesn't require surgery 2) I get to keep what's left of my dignity 3)nothing in a pink dress

Alisa
06-27-2002, 12:34 AM
I would only dress up as a character that I think I can pull off. If it is something flashy I would try to keep it as original and authentic as possible, yet if it is too flashy then I might adjust it a little. As long as everything that I find personal is covered I am happy. A little skins okay.

Quies
06-27-2002, 11:16 AM
hum..i'll never go overly cute. couldn't pull it off and it, to be quite frank, can scare me at time, and with that, i'll stay away form pink thank-you-very-much. i hate that color with a passion. i'd have to like the char. nothing skimpy. i don't want to wear it and trust me, no one else wants to see me wearing it. i'd crossplay i think, but it would have to be someone i could pull off without large scale problems and a char i really like.
then again, this is all speculation, because, if i can convinse my parents, my first true cosplay (minus a quikly made tomoyo at halloween) will be at the next a-kon.
*crosses fingers* please..i wanna cospaly...

Hikaruchan
06-27-2002, 12:09 PM
I don't do skimpy, but will crossplay. Xelloss & Zelgadis were fun to do, and I made the overcapelets so I didn't have to bind. I have started another crossplay, this one won't hide my chest so I have to decide whether I will smush myself down or not.

Sigh, edited cause I couldn't spell

Hopage
06-27-2002, 01:01 PM
I won't do anything skimpy, I think girls costumes are more elaborate and fun anyways so I have no intrest in crossplay, oh and I won't do a costume that I have seen done twice, sometimes once is enough, I try to be somewhat original, which is why I end up pulling from fansubs so often.

Quies
06-27-2002, 05:24 PM
actually, i think some of the guy costumes can be more fun. they tend to get all the cool capes. (sorry, i have a thing for capes) and some of the girl costumes can just be way to happy. personally.

Hikaruchan
06-27-2002, 06:19 PM
One of the reasons for my Slayers costume fixation - cool capes. I've got 2 more Slayers costumes in the making.

Ayaka
06-28-2002, 01:33 AM
CAPES! ^^ I still have yet to do a costume with a cape . . . *writes CAPE in big letters at top of cosplay to do list* But yeah. I don't do girly well. And I knew I was gonna have to crossplay eventually anyway, when I bought Dotta's wig I made the unfortunate comment of saying it really made me look like Xellos when it was down. I was only allowed to buy my next wig on the condition that I would cosplay Xellos, to "get our money's worth" from Dotta's wig . . . oO;;;; lol.

engrish
06-28-2002, 03:06 PM
I've crossplayed before so that's not an issue. My costumes are rather conservative. The shortest skirt I have goes just above the knees but I am open to the idea of skimpy outfits. I might be crazy enough to do Tira Misu(maybe!), but Kekko Kamen is out of the question.

Lilli
06-28-2002, 04:08 PM
*cough cough hack* Maybe it helps if I log out of Nietsche's name and sign into mine before I post... Yes...

._. I'm sure I've got limits. Somewhere. But I'm highly suggestable, that I am.

Scenario:
Friend: "Hey, you'd make a really good *insert character name here*"
Me: ._. 'Sorry, I've never seen that anime.' *gets shown the anime* 'Ohhhh eeeek! How cute! Hey, you're right...'

And so another costume is added to my queue.

I tried to have something of a backlash, because my costumes' necklines were getting lower and the hemlines were getting higher, so for AX at least, I've not made anything skimpy. Of course Nietsche had to bring along his Shining Force 3 artbook and point out a character I want to cosplay now ._.;;

Yare yare... The list just keeps on growing ^-~ As far as things I -won't- do... I have to agree, I don't want to cosplay as a characer I either don't like, or don't know anything about. Crossplay dosn't bother me, I've cosplayed Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi, (yes, I know, it's mild crossplay...) and now Sanzo from Saiyuki for AX. I'm still trying to decide wether or not I should bind for Sanzo. Hmmmm.

Cosplay for me is about love for the character, and preferably, that it's a character I can pull off. (Which is why sadly, I had to strike Precis from my cosplay list. It won't do to have Precis be a head taller than Claude, Rena, AND Dias.)

.; I've got to get some taller friends, that I do.
/end ramble