PDA

View Full Version : Tiny lips

procrastinator
06-29-2004, 01:14 AM
I just read a thread about big lips, and it hit me again that I have the opposite problem.
I've inherited ultra-thin lips. How do I make them look bigger, but not cheezy? They are okay when I have a straight face, but when I smile my top lip all but dissappears. I don't want to exaggerate my top lip with lip liner, because it often looks really cheezy. Do those "lip volumizing" lipsticks really make your lips bigger? (Dont' really see how they could logically...) Basically what I do is use a semi-neutral tone (unless of course i'm making them stand out on purpose) And something sheer but shiny on top of it (like a gloss roller or softlips chapstick)
Any and all suggestions would really be appreciated!

China-Lilly
06-29-2004, 02:09 AM
Do I believe volumising lipsticks work? In a word: no.

There are many lip plumpers on the market, but the problem with a lot of them is that the way they plump your lips is actually by causing a mild allergic reaction. An ingredient that tends to do this naturally is cinnamon oil, so I think products with this ingredient may be better, although many people are sensitive to cinnamon anyway.

DuWop make a product called Lip Venom that supposedly does this. But I have full lips so I've never tried it.

Lipliner is not as bad an option as you think - but finding one that matches your lipcolour or very close to it is essential. And fill in your whole lip, not just the line. Then use natural shades of lipstick or gloss, nothing too dark. Gloss will help create the illusion of fuller lips too.

Chocochick
06-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Take a lip-liner and go above your top lip, on the skin, a little. Do the same thing on the bottom. It's not too drastic, but it works. It looks better if you use lipstick with it.

JunJun
06-29-2004, 09:48 AM
DuWop's Lip Venom is really cool, but its not for someone who actually has an issue they wish to address. It sorta makes you look like you've eaten spicy food, and stings your lips. There's another product out there that the Sephora ladies told me about, called City Lips (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;jsessionid=DRLLSMLELIYH1LAUCLCBXCQ?i d=P67404&categoryId=), which is said to actually increase the collagen in your lips, rendering them fuller and smoother. They told me its a slow process, and takes about a month to help, but its very popular among older women and people with thin lips, whereas Lip Venom is popular among the teen crowd.

inertia
06-29-2004, 03:03 PM
I agree with China-Lilly. Lipliner is fine if it's used well. I've been using MAC's "Spice" for years. It's a medium neutral shade that looks very natural on light complexions and is recommended by many makeup artists. As long as you only draw a *little* bit outside the lines (just a little), it won't look cheesy.

Finding Beauty
07-01-2004, 02:24 AM
Lipliner is what I would recommend as well ... it's great if you use it the same shade as your lipstick (or something that will blend in). I don't think "lip plumping" lipstick really works -- though I *will* say that hydrating lipsticks are going to make your lips look better than drier types.

Anything glossy or of a light/neutral color will also make your lips look bigger. One of my favorite methods to make my lips look pouty is to use Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 (available on kiehls.com, I think -- I got it as a gift, so I'm not sure), line my lips in a liner that matches what I'm wearing, then use lipgloss. The best kind I have is Rimmel's Vinyl Lip in the color 'Snog.' (Yes, isn't that a great color name?) As far as I'm aware you can get it in most retail stores like Wal-Mart (which is where I got mine), and it's relatively inexpensive -- I think the tube I bought was under three dollars. There's also a gloss brand called Wild and Crazy that I found at Walgreen's -- it's pretty good as well; I'm particularly fond of the shade 'Close to Me.'

One recommendation I would make in lining your lips, though, is that if you want to actually risk going outside the lines (which I've never done, since my lips aren't that thin), put concealer around your lips first, or at least an extra layer of foundation (provided you wear it), and powder it down. That way, it'll help keep the lip color from bleeding away from your lips and onto the rest of your face.

Also, if you want to fill in your lips with a liner, I'd recommend Clinique's Chubby Stick. It's a little more expensive than some stuff (I believe it retails at somewhere from $12-16 a stick), but it's creamier and a little more convenient than using a thin pencil.

Wow. I could ramble on entirely too much about makeup; I hope this helps.