PDA

View Full Version : Astringents?

Kerret
06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
I heard somewhere here that alcohol-free astringents are better that ones with alcohol. Why is this, and who sells alcohol free astringents?

archangeli
06-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Aveda has one called "all-sensitive toner" - smells pretty. but it's weird because most ppl associate the alcohol tingling sensation with toners. since this one is alcohol free it makes you wonder if it's doing anything.

You could just use Witch Hazel (available in ALL drugstores) on a cottonball if you wanted to avoid alcohol.

Juu-Sama
06-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Aveda has one called "all-sensitive toner" - smells pretty. but it's weird because most ppl associate the alcohol tingling sensation with toners. since this one is alcohol free it makes you wonder if it's doing anything.

You could just use Witch Hazel (available in ALL drugstores) on a cottonball if you wanted to avoid alcohol.

umm... which bring up a silly quetion....what exactly does astringents do???? I mean, i know you put it on your face before make up and stuff but is it essential????

Juu-sama

Gii
06-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Astringents or toners are meant to be an extra step after cleansing to remove any last traces of cleanser and/or oil, seal the skin, and prep it for additional products like foundation or moisterizer. "Astringents" are usually for oiler skin types, and almost always include alcohol. "Toners" tend to be for dryer skin types, and contain emollients to keep the skin conditioned and soft.

There's no rule saying you have to use a toner or astringent as part of your daily routine; it's more about preference.

It's smart to look for a product without alcohol, which can irritate the skin. Neutrogena makes an alcohol free toner, as do Nivea and Aveeno. Check www.drugstore.com for details. If you have oily skin, look for a product without additional oils.

A lot of excess oil can be taken care of with daily cleansing (two or three times a day with a gentle cleanser, like Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin Foaming Face Wash) and a mask or pack every few days. Plain milk of magnesia (unflavored) makes a great oil absorbing face mask. See the link below:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=15137&catid=172&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=172&trxp2=15137&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

Hope this helps! :D

archangeli
06-30-2004, 07:38 PM
if you needed toners to remove dirt and oil after washing your face you need a new cleanser!!

the point of toners is to stabalize the pH balance of your skin after cleansing. Most cleansers have high pH levels due to the detergents in them. Toner's aren't necessary, but sometimes are a nice refresher :)

GrigoriArella
07-01-2004, 03:40 PM
It's been said, but I'm a big fan of Witch Hazel. It's not expensive and doesn't have any fancy dyes or perfumes. Also it's very good for oily/combination skin to help balance your natural tendancies. I recommend it.

nekhochan
07-04-2004, 11:07 PM
I love witch hazel! It makes an awesome toner! I like to take a spray bottle and add Tea tree oil to mine (and sometimes a bit of peppermint and euclyptus) I add 5 drops to every 1 ounce of witch hazel. I like to make a double strong batch and spray it on my feet to cool them off and help keep athlete's foot away. It makes a nice body spray too. I make it for xmas presents and bottle it and call it "shower in a bottle" lol

China-Lilly
07-06-2004, 09:24 PM
I think there's a difference between toner, which I think everyone is talking about here, and an astringent.

Astringent is a solution that makes skin less oily. So, in that case, alcohol in an astringent, although drying, is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

I'm pretty sure Witch Hazel solutions have alcohol in them - I could be wrong, but check the label.