PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop tricks of the trade!

Spooky Brew
12-01-2002, 09:23 PM
Okay, I haven't done a new thread for a while, but, do any of you know how to make really good hair in Photoshop for line art? I have some problems some times and any tips at all would be spectacular!!!
I mostly have problems in shading and making it look somewhat believable (for anime sometimes anywayz!).
Thanks!

isami
12-01-2002, 09:56 PM
Hmm. What version do you have?
The way i do hair... well, I use the dodge and burn tools. For highlights, I use the dodge tool by adjusting the circle and making it oval like, and then going over it a few times. And I do the same with the burn tool. The thinner you make the oval, the more line-like and hair-like it comes out... or something like that.
I wish I knew how to explain more...

Spooky Brew
12-01-2002, 09:57 PM
I get you...I have 6, ah yes, the love of Photoshop 6. I also have illustrator, but no clue how to even start with that one!!

Spooky Brew
12-01-2002, 09:59 PM
Oh, I also have a hard time drawing wings somehow....
anything helpful with that?
I'm such a dunce...;p

psythe
12-01-2002, 10:01 PM
Yes, Dodge and Burn tools, play with the pressure %. and don;t forget the smudge tool, it's great for getting wispy sections of hair if that's the look you are going for.

You may want to PM Morbius, he has killer CG coloring skills, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping you out ^^v

Spooky Brew
12-01-2002, 10:04 PM
I wish I could use the smudge tool more often, unfourtnatly, the computer I work on has such low memory and stuff, it takes longer for the smudge tool to well...smudge. I hope to fix that real soon.

Yautja834
12-03-2002, 10:48 PM
yeah that can be a problem, the computers at our scholl have photoshop and its kinda slow too. I have it at home but i mainly just screw with the filters and do some cool stuff with pics.

Spooky Brew
12-03-2002, 11:15 PM
Ack! My computer is so plotting against me....it's learning new stuff constantly, and what I can't say....
I found some awesome tutorials and such on the net. I love HotBot! Thanks to Morbius as well on his tutorial teaching me to love my Polygon tool....thanks Morbius! *huggies*

psythe
12-04-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Spooky Brew
I wish I could use the smudge tool more often, unfourtnatly, the computer I work on has such low memory and stuff, it takes longer for the smudge tool to well...smudge. I hope to fix that real soon.

Amen. The more RAM the better, photoshop is a memory pig.

Morbius
12-04-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Spooky Brew
Ack! My computer is so plotting against me....it's learning new stuff constantly, and what I can't say....
I found some awesome tutorials and such on the net. I love HotBot! Thanks to Morbius as well on his tutorial teaching me to love my Polygon tool....thanks Morbius! *huggies*

Hehe. No problem. I love helping when I can. ^^;;; Which reminds me I need to update that a little. Which also reminds me I need to do that angel picture. Which also reminds me.... ZZZzzzzz

Spooky Brew
12-04-2002, 07:20 PM
Agh...I know what you mean Morbius....my brain is so dead that....zzzzzzz........:p

Miyu
12-04-2002, 07:46 PM
I'd actually reccommend Illustrator for what you need, Spookster. Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, wtc.. they are all good for certain things. For example, using Illustrator to edit a photo would be like using a shovel to hammer a nail down into some wood... you need a hammer for that. Same with using Photoshop for creating graphic illustrations (art), it CAN be done, but it's much easier in Illustrator because that's precisely what that program is intended for. ^^

If you need any advice feel free to AIM me. I take classes in photoshop, illustrator, quark, and design, because I'm an advertising major with a graphic design minor. I LIVE in photoshop. X_x Print work and photo editing are my specialties :D ...^_-

Maryssa
12-04-2002, 08:23 PM
Photoshop sucks for art. Its for touching up -photographs- (wow imagine that)

Learn to use gradient meshes in Illusrator.

and miyu... uhh, Quark has zero to do with artwork/illustration o_O Quark is the worst piece of shit program ever. I do all my layouts in Illustrator.

Spooky Brew
12-04-2002, 08:25 PM
I do have Illustrator, I'm just not sure how to use it at all! I'm so used to Photoshop, but I'd be so glad if you could teach me a few things Miyu!

LiL QoH
12-05-2002, 01:10 AM
Heres a couple hair tutorials using photoshop AND illustrator ;)
http://div.dyndns.org/EK/tutorial/hair/

http://www.merekatcreations.com/html/tutorials/hairmain.html

http://www.merekatcreations.com/html/tutorials/hairmain2.html

Spooky Brew
12-05-2002, 02:11 AM
Oh, wow, thank you very much!

DJ(SiC)ness
12-05-2002, 08:30 PM
i love photoshop

LiL QoH
12-06-2002, 12:54 PM
And if you don't have one already, invest into a tablet... they work wonders for us CGers:crylaugh:

Lil Dreamer
12-06-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
Photoshop sucks for art. Its for touching up -photographs- (wow imagine that)

Learn to use gradient meshes in Illusrator.

and miyu... uhh, Quark has zero to do with artwork/illustration o_O Quark is the worst piece of shit program ever. I do all my layouts in Illustrator.

hey... i like Quark... it's rather user friendly and gives easy access to template layouts. i did my whole magazine project in Quark. anyways, i agree, it has more to do with layout more than illos. i like using illustrator to render 3D art. =D

Nipple. :)

psythe
12-06-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
Photoshop sucks for art.

This is so untrue, I know plenty of people who use Photoshop to color their comics and they come out absolutely gorgeous. Photoshop has numerous tools for artwork. It isn't just a "open up a photo and rape it with filters" program like so many think it to be. ALL my graphics for web and cd-rom design start and end in Photoshop. Not to crack on anyone else's choice, it really is just personal preference what you choose to use.

Lil Dreamer
12-06-2002, 01:19 PM
i agree psyth, since i use alot of my Digital Imaging on Photoshop. but i think Maryssa was trying to say that it sucks as far as illustration goes. in which illustrator would be the far better choice. or i could be tottally wrong and that she meant otherwise... **shrugs**

Nipple. :)

Morbius
12-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Yes, Illustrator has its uses. Illustrator is generally used for print work and logos. Not that Illustrator can't do what you want, but it will take 2x or 3x longer to basically end up with the same result for no real positive reason other then to have an editable vector piece. I hate to break to the Illustrator pushers but in the professional industry of Comics (In America anyway) they all use Photoshop. It's quicker, it's powerful and that's what it was made for... art. I never heard of anyone using Illustrator in any mainstream comic. Of course it's a matter of choice but for my money and artistic freedom give me Photoshop. If you want to make artwork use Photoshop, if you want to illustrate then... well you get the idea.

You donít have to listen to me but I have worked in the field professionally for 8 years. :)

See some samples in my gallery. All Photoshop.

LiL QoH
12-06-2002, 02:20 PM
I ususally use photoshop painter and illustrator :) depends on what I'm using them for though

Spooky Brew
12-06-2002, 06:19 PM
I love Photoshop, I do everything on it. *pets the photoshop box*
Your a good little program, huh? Yes you are...
oh, uh....yes, I do use Photoshop quite a lot more than Illistrator (most likely because I don't know how to work the damn thing!) and I've heard of Quark, but never really intrested in it. Jeez I'm boring! Anywayz, I hope to put some pictures up soon with my new found skillz (skillz, sad, I know)!
Thanks so much for the info and slight debate! Good times, good times!