PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Picnic In or Near Saratoga

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mystic Blossom
06-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Update of information!

We now have a location: The Karista Pavillion in Saratoga State Park on September 11th. We still have to figure out an exact time, how we'll settle the food situation, and activities.

----------

A couple of friends and I are trying to put together a picnic in Saratoga, as suggested by this page: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=36782

So far, it's looking like the best place to hold it would be in Congress Park, because it's nice and big, and also because it has some great photo ops (http://www.saratoga.org/vrtours/CityPark/photo.htm) . However, we need more information about it, since I haven't been there in forever, and some haven't ever been there at all. Does anyone know if there are bathrooms in or extremely close to the park? Or picnic tables? If there aren't picnic tables, we could always bring foldout chairs and card tables for food.

We'd also need a date. The best time for me and many of the people I know is the end of August. Please post in this thread if you're interested in going, along with any other information about Congress Park and it's facilities and regulations.

Kairi G
06-30-2004, 11:02 AM
well you already know im in! i just gotta know what i can do to help, and ill keep my eye out for any information.

here are some options for places to hold this thing:
Congress Park ~ Saratoga
Saratoga Spa State Park ~ Saratoga
Lake George Battlefield Park ~ Lake George
John Boyd Thatcher State Park ~ Voorheesville (15 miles south of Albany)
Central Park ~ Schenectady
any other ideas?

we personally are leaning towards saratoga, prolly congress park, cuz its pretty and Saratoga is awesome with some of the best food and shopping in Upstate NY.
if anyone has anymore ideas, or info on Congress park or any of the others feel free to post it.

as for the cosplay aspect, this isnt just a gathering, its in costume (well you dont have to if you really dont want to), i saw there are some other gathering in this forum that are just get togethers, but this should be a costume event! (maybe we can even do prizes!)
as for food stuffs, we could prolly do it by everyone bringing something. or if people wanna pay, we could get food from someplace before hand i guess we will just have to see how things work out and how many people are interested!

Ryoko-Dono
06-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Kairi-dear, If all else fails we can also hold it in good ole Niskayuna. No one will be able to find it, but there are two parks(Heritage and River Road) with shelter and tables and relativly good photo places. And the one has bathrooms.

Also: I have 2(maybe more) card tables that can be used.

Kairi G
06-30-2004, 10:13 PM
well after talkin to my parents and such.... they would suggest Saratoga Spa park over congress park, they dont think it has pavillions and also parking is a bitch cuz its during racing season. So we should look into Saratoga Spa park some more, cuz i still think that saratoga is the best option for everyone. Mom did remind me tho, there is an admission fee into Saratoga spa park, but its only like a few bucks, im sure we can figure that all out tho.

KuroBara
06-30-2004, 10:29 PM
How far away is Saratoga from Poughkeepsie? If it's under 2 hours, I'd like to come (in costume, no worries!)

Kairi G
06-30-2004, 11:04 PM
hm i think sadly its more than two hours, not much more, it takes me about that long to get there from schenectady area, and saratogas like a half hour from here. you could look on map quest or something to find out. it would be great if you could come!

KuroBara
06-30-2004, 11:11 PM
hm i think sadly its more than two hours, not much more, it takes me about that long to get there from schenectady area, and saratogas like a half hour from here. you could look on map quest or something to find out. it would be great if you could come!

That doesn't sound too bad. I know I saw exits for it on my last drive to Albany. I'll keep an eye on this thread for the final date and location, thanks Kairi G!

Mystic Blossom
07-01-2004, 10:34 AM
I didn't think about parking, but if we could consider the racing schedule, and try to find a day where there won't be any (don't know when they get breaks), or when the traffic would be lighter. The main problem with Saratoga State Park is that it's completely impossible to navigate through and the park rangers give horrible directions. It's always very frustrating, though the park itself is a good option.

Kairi G
07-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Im sure that we could write up some comprehensible directions, my parents are great with directions. Also, i was thinking about ways of advertising this to other NY cosplayers, and was thinking i could send something to the members on Cosplay lab from NY and maybe western Mass. know of any other ways of spreading the word?

Mystic Blossom
07-01-2004, 12:07 PM
If we can all find out way around, then it's a perfect spot indeed, but considering the sheer beauty of congress park, do you suppose it would be possible for us to stop by there after the pcinic for some photos? Saratoga Park does have some beautiful wildlife which would be great for photos if we're willing to walk through some woody area. I just hope it's not raining that day.

Ryoko-Dono
07-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Im sure that we could write up some comprehensible directions, my parents are great with directions. Also, i was thinking about ways of advertising this to other NY cosplayers, and was thinking i could send something to the members on Cosplay lab from NY and maybe western Mass. know of any other ways of spreading the word?
Yea, I was telling Mystic that we should do that the othr day. We could also get people from Vermont, thats not too far either. We could also notify people on ACParadise and RPI's Anime club has a mailing list of people in the area and local events, we could ask them to put it ont he mailing list of local events.

Also, on the subject of Poughkeepsie, acording to mapquest (if I did it right) its about 2 hours. I thought it was a bit farther though, since Poughkeepsie is a half an hour away from Catskill, which is an hour away from where I live, which is half an hour to Saratoga.... Which would be.... 2 hours. Oh... ^^;;

Mystic Blossom
07-01-2004, 12:15 PM

Yes, contacting people from CosplayLab is a good idea. I've also advertised this topic on the Gaia boards. Getting to the park itself isn't difficult, but once you're there, it can take forever to find your appointed picnic area.

Ryoko-Dono
07-01-2004, 12:15 PM
If we can all find out way around, then it's a perfect spot indeed, but considering the sheer beauty of congress park, do you suppose it would be possible for us to stop by there after the pcinic for some photos? Saratoga Park does have some beautiful wildlife which would be great for photos if we're willing to walk through some woody area. I just hope it's not raining that day.
Do we know how far it is between the places?

Also, we might want to have a rain date just in case. I love rain as much as the next gal, but if its too dark it won't make for good pics and it may ruin costumes.

Mystic Blossom
07-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Do we know how far it is between the places?

Also, we might want to have a rain date just in case. I love rain as much as the next gal, but if its too dark it won't make for good pics and it may ruin costumes.

Indeed, but the website for the state park says that the reservations for the pavillions must be made 30 days prior, meaning if we can make a rain date, it will be quite difficult.

Kairi G
07-01-2004, 01:02 PM
i definatly think we could arrange photos at congress park even if we dont hold the picnic there.

Mystic Blossom
07-01-2004, 06:05 PM
I'll be sure to keep in touch while I'm away. If we really want the state park, then we need to pick a date and contact the park to reserve a picnic area.

Kairi G
07-04-2004, 12:39 AM
hey, i announced it over in teh genericon forums, there are already a lot of folk talkin there, so i thought it would be agood place to put it since they are mostly capital region people!

Mystic Blossom
07-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Awesome! We should contact the park very very soon.

Ryoko-Dono
07-04-2004, 11:51 AM
hey, i announced it over in teh genericon forums, there are already a lot of folk talkin there, so i thought it would be agood place to put it since they are mostly capital region people!
Yea, thats a good idea. Do we know any other forums for locals? I know Shojou-Con(sp?) has a forum, we could put it there, some of them might be from here(ish).

Mystic Blossom
07-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Yea, thats a good idea. Do we know any other forums for locals? I know Shojou-Con(sp?) has a forum, we could put it there, some of them might be from here(ish).

And also Anime Boston. I'll check there.

Kairi G
07-04-2004, 02:15 PM
good plans. oh sigh, we need to get more people over here! i know people are interested.........

Mew_Pudding
07-04-2004, 03:19 PM
I will most definitely come!!! I have like no cons all summer.... ._. And I`ve wanted to go to a cosplay picnic!! So, count me in!! If you need me to help advertise or bring anything, tell me. ^.^

Mystic Blossom
07-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Pudding. We could use more advertising, and we need more people who aren't on the board to tell us if they're interested.

Kairi G
07-04-2004, 04:21 PM
oh yeah spead the word!!!! we gotta know if this is worth trying to arrange!

Mew_Pudding
07-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I`ll make sure to get it around as much as possible! I know at least me and my little cosplay group will go. ^.^

chrono
07-05-2004, 12:55 AM
I will be there for sure! I'm very happy to see cosplay promoted in the area :)

There's a very decent park in Troy, which I can look into the name of if you are interested.

The other main exciting things I can promote here are karaoke parties & Genericon, which are well outlined on this thread of Genericon's forum:
http://genericon.union.rpi.edu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12

Thanks, kairi g for directing me here ^^
-D.J.

Kairi G
07-05-2004, 07:33 AM
ooooohhhhh we could have Karaoke too! that would be fun, i know a lot of people would really get into that!

Mystic Blossom
07-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Ok, I'll be leaving soon and I'll have limited Internet access until July 31st, but I will indeed keep checking. Kairi, be sure to let me know if you can get a hold of any parks to see how much renting a pavillion would cost.

Ryoko-Dono
07-05-2004, 03:46 PM
ooooohhhhh we could have Karaoke too! that would be fun, i know a lot of people would really get into that!
Wont we need some major equipment for that?

Mew_Pudding
07-05-2004, 04:11 PM
I love Karaoke! ^.^ I`d definitely wanna do it if we managed to have it!

ShinobiHime
07-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Wherever you guys decide to hold it, I'll be there! I'll make sure to drag the whole crew from Genericon, as well! :bigtu:
About the whole karaoke thing...talk to Chrono- he's always having karaoke parties, and I know he's run many karaoke events at cons, including Otakon and Genericon...

Kairi G
07-05-2004, 08:19 PM
yea thats why i thought of it. if we could get him to help run it im sure it could happen. and yea i will try to look into park info, unless there is someone else who could help with that, since i as well will be gone for much of this month starting next week. so if anyone wants to help, let us know here! and continue to spread the word, we gotta get more help in arranging this, and to make sure there is enough people interested.

Ryoko-Dono
07-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Kairi dear, since both you and Mystic are gona be somewhat busy, just tell me what needs done.

Basically were just scoping out places at this point, yea?

Kairi G
07-06-2004, 08:28 AM
yuppers, and it would be great if you could find out about some of these places and such. Hmmmm we should get Hailo and yummy in here too.......... im sure they would help.

Ryoko-Dono
07-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Yup, we should.

Do we want to look for any other places than the ones already outlined? Or do we want to focus on those?

Kairi G
07-06-2004, 11:09 AM
if you or anyone else knows of someplace, then yea we should look in to those. but i think that saratoga right now is our best bet. so someone should look into that one first.

Mystic Blossom
07-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Greetings from NYC! Okey-dokey, I think what we really need to do at this point is pick a date that's good for everyone. If we have a set date or dates, it'll make it much easier for us to reserve a picnic place. For me, basically weekends are best, and also Fridays. How about everyone else?

Kairi G
07-06-2004, 10:59 PM
a saturday is prolly best for people who work during the week......but i do know a lot of people who work then too, but it might be easier to take off..... oh i dont know.....still saturday is prolly best. and i think that end of august would prolly be ok, but, i think if we waited until mid september we could prolly get more people to know about it, and it would prolly be better organized.

Ryoko-Dono
07-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Yea, but if we wait until mid September it might get too cold. I think its safest if we pick a date in August.

Kenshin Himura
07-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Im all in for going to this picnic but I really dont know how to travel to the place where its gonna be held I live in brooklyn N.Y too so it shouldnt take me to long to get there I just need directions and ill be there ^^.

KuroBara
07-07-2004, 10:17 AM
I vote for August, before people start going back to school. A weekend would probably be best. If it's scheduled for a Sunday it should be a little later in the afternoon for those who go to church. Or, we could plan for a Saturday then have the rain date the following Sunday. Saturdays in August are the 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th. I don't think the 7th is a good option, it's very close to Otakon. I know I'll be burnt out! Despite the three new costumes I'm making for that I'm toying with the idea of a new one for the picnic. Which brings me to another question- what will everyone wear?

Ryoko-Dono
07-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Well, I've got a Jing costume in progress, so I'll probably wear that unless I make something else between now and then. Or I might wear my Lena costume, it hasnt gotten much use...

Kairi G
07-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Ok, what about doin it the 28th, the only con that conflicts with is CNAnime, which is in toronto, so i dont think that would be a problem. i think that is also the most realistic date, if we wanna keep it in August, cuz the 21st is still pretty soon after other various cons and it may be harder for us to schedual something.
As for costumes, im likely to bring Umi, which im working on now, Wedding Yuna, cuz i need nice pics of it, and if Eowyn is done ill bring that. I may bring Lady Luck Yuna, but i dont know, that one is a hassle to get in and out of, and if i donthave the hair for it anymore...... oh i dont know. hehe.
And, Ryoko-dono, we should contact our Anime Club folks, some of them would prolly come.

Ryoko-Dono
07-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Info I've found on places, so far

Congress Park:
(Phone number: 518-587-3550)
I found a phone number, so we can call see if we need to make reservations/plans through them for a large number of people to be there. We also might want to find out if we can bring tables or foldout shelter-y things. Its open 24hrs though.

Saratoga Spa State Park:
(phone number: 518-584-2535)
http://www.saratogaspastatepark.org/
Its $5 per vehicle to park, its only open from 8am till dusk, and I found somewhere that its "Group-Friendly". Family picnicing doesnt require a reservation but if we'll need a larger area we should/need to reserve a spot. It has shelters and picnic tables.

Lake George Battlefield Park:
(phone number: 518-623.-1200)
Has picnic tables, parking is $6 per car, I can't figure out when its open though.

John Boyd Thatcher State Park:
(phone number: 518-872-1237)
Its open 8am till dusk. Has picnic tables and 9 "reserable shelters".

Central Park:
Its not the cleanest place, but it has a lovely rose garden. It has a shelter and picnic tables, we'd probably have to reserve it. I couldnt find a number online, but if were interested I can find one.

And that would be the info I found, do we want to pick a date and then choose a spot? Or choose a spot and see when its avalable? Is there any other info we need to make a decesion, I can call places if we need more info. Also: Will anyone be wearing a very delicate costume? We'll need to take that into account, will anyone need handicap access, and is everyone okay with sitting on blankets if we choose a place with limited tables?

Ryoko-Dono
07-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Ok, what about doin it the 28th, the only con that conflicts with is CNAnime, which is in toronto, so i dont think that would be a problem. i think that is also the most realistic date, if we wanna keep it in August, cuz the 21st is still pretty soon after other various cons and it may be harder for us to schedual something.
As for costumes, im likely to bring Umi, which im working on now, Wedding Yuna, cuz i need nice pics of it, and if Eowyn is done ill bring that. I may bring Lady Luck Yuna, but i dont know, that one is a hassle to get in and out of, and if i donthave the hair for it anymore...... oh i dont know. hehe.
And, Ryoko-dono, we should contact our Anime Club folks, some of them would prolly come.
Yep, do you know who has the email adresses? I think Sam has them, if he does I can send a group email and send them the link if you'd like.

And yea, the 28th sounds fine to me. I dont have anything planned that far in advance ^^;;

Kairi G
07-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Well im pretty certain that Yummy has a list someplace, maybe heather does, and i got some, that would certainly add to the people we have coming to this thing. And i personally think we should look into Saratoga Spa park first. Did you find anyplace how much it would cost to reserve a pavilion thing?

Ryoko-Dono
07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Yea, thats the one that looks best to me too. Lets see... They dont list prices, but I can call up and see what is available on the 28th and how much it would cost.

Do we have a guesstimate of how many people were excpecting? For the various pavillion/things at the Spa the lowest capacity is 75, so we should be fine.http://www.saratogaspastatepark.org/pavilions.html I'll go be useful and call. ^_^

Mystic Blossom
07-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Yay! Thanks, Ryoko. Be sure to tell us what you find!

Ryoko-Dono
07-07-2004, 01:21 PM
The silly phone number. It leads to an aoutomatted thing. So I left my name and number and they're supposed to get back to me. Or if all else fails I'll try calling again later.

Kairi G
07-07-2004, 09:46 PM
thanks a lot Ryoko! once we find out we gotta advertise like crazy. as you can see, i put it in my sig, we should get more people to do that.

Mystic Blossom
07-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Yay! I hope they call you back soon! I'll put a note in my signature too.

Quantum9
07-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Aw man, I'm SO in on this.

It'd be awesome if it was in congress park, since it's literally 2 minutes from where I work.

chrono
07-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Wow. That'll show me to stay away from a forum for too long @_@;

as for karaoke...
Depending on how good we want karaoke, it can involve a lot of equipment, or it could involve a small amount of equipment. Large-scale involves speakers, amp, mixing board, mics, mic stands, cables, 2 laptops, internet connection, projector, etc. Small scale involves a laptop - pretty much. Once we decide how big we want this, just leave the rest to me (well, I can always use help), but this will be a simple task for us. If you didn't know, almost all of Otakon karaoke staff lives in Troy ^_~

The thing I would wonder is how the karaoke will tie into the cosplay. Since cosplay is the main event, I wouldn't want there to be karaoke open mic during the whole thing that drowns out all the cosplay going on. The ideal, in my mind, would be to have say an hour of prime-time karaoke where people only get one turn, and people who have a theme in mind (for instance, they're Lina and they want to sing Get Along), get priority. Then we could have karaoke open mic for pretty much the rest of the time, but on a lower scale; smaller speakers/lower volume.

about promotion...
I love promoting stuff; I was even the Attendee Coordinator for Genericon one year. The Animerathon ML used to be about 300 members, but I've trimmed it down since; but it's still sizeable - I have lists for Cosplay, Japanese, Karaoke, Animerathon, and Anime News. I'll be happy to spread the word. It looks like Kairi has done a good job nailing Genericon's forum already ^_^

contacting...
I'll admit that I don't check this forum as often as I should. I'll try to have it send me a reminder when someone responds; but the best way is through im or email:
chrono@alum.rpi.edu
aim: djwilsey

よろしく!

Kairi G
07-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Ok thanks Chrono! I think we are gonna need to see what kind of interest we have before we can decide anything on the kareoke. And i will be leaving tomorrow morning, so online time will be limited while im at FIT. So if anyone finds out anything final about a date or place let me know by email. Proserpina1487@aol.com
Ryoko~ if you find anything more about the park let us know, and if you can, reserve a date, the 28th seems best to me.

chrono
07-09-2004, 10:58 PM
I think we are gonna need to see what kind of interest we have before we can decide anything on the kareoke.
Good point. Even though 30 people seems like a lot (our karaoke parties are usually 10-20 people), it wouldn't make sense to hold karaoke prime-time, since there probably wouldn't be a lot of people out of those 30 that have a costume that they want to sing with. If we have 100 people or more, now we're talking ^_^

the 28th seems best to me.
The 28th is free for me. I was just talking with Eric who thought having it earlier might be better, so it doesn't conflict with getting ready for school and whatnot so badly. What about the 14th? Maybe I missed something earlier in the thread...

Ryoko-Dono
07-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Ok thanks Chrono! I think we are gonna need to see what kind of interest we have before we can decide anything on the kareoke. And i will be leaving tomorrow morning, so online time will be limited while im at FIT. So if anyone finds out anything final about a date or place let me know by email. Proserpina1487@aol.com
Ryoko~ if you find anything more about the park let us know, and if you can, reserve a date, the 28th seems best to me.
Yea, they havent called me back so I'm going to call monday. And if I forget I ask someone to beat me with a large object.

I'll try and get a small space so it'll be cheaper. Will we need plugs and such for the equipment, and if so how many? Are we sure with the 28th?

Also, what is our budget for a spot?

Mystic Blossom
07-10-2004, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure it's fine for me. If my parents can't drive, I can probably hitch a ride with one of you guys, ne? But since it's a Saturday, I don't see it as a problem.

chrono
07-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Will we need plugs and such for the equipment, and if so how many?
Are you referring to karaoke equipment here? What are plugs, exactly? If we are doing it low-scale, chances are we can scrounge up everything we need from the people we know. If it's high-scale, it could get a little complicated, yeah.

inSaniTy
07-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Definitely count me in if we can keep it in Saratoga.
lmao, come visit me at the mall >_> I work at Jade Gifts... it's near BonTon. Just ask for Allison. xD

AHEM. ANYWAYS. This makes me giddy on the inside. I think Congress Park is our best bet - they have pavillions, which are free. Last year, my friends and I had a little last-day-of-school party at the park. Holding it at Congress Park would save us money.
About small-scale karaoke... I can provide the laptop. I won't have internet access in the park, but just let me know if there are any songs or programs you'd like me to download. It's also no problem for me to bring my cd-player, if anyone has any good anime CD's we can listen to.

Is there anything else I can help out with? I live right here in Saratoga, so getting information or anything at all isn't a big hassle. I can also give directions if anyone needs them.

What about things like refreshments, food, games, etc.? If you'd like, I can talk to John at Oyishii Japan in the mall (they have AWESOME chicken teriyaki.. :D). He might be able to provide us with some food, such as sushi, rice, etc.

About pictures... we have a digital camera, but we're getting a better one soon. My mom would probably be able to come and take pictures (especially group pictures).

As for the racing season, I don't think that should be a major problem. There should be plenty of parking... like the parking garage across from Ben & Jerry's.

If there's anything else that needs to be done, let me know. :)

inSaniTy
07-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Oh yeah, and any date is fine for me. It's not a problem to take that day off from work.

chrono
07-11-2004, 04:04 AM
About small-scale karaoke... I can provide the laptop. I won't have internet access in the park, but just let me know if there are any songs or programs you'd like me to download.
We generally like to have at least a couple laptops on hand just in case, so this is a good thing. The bare bones would be winamp; although windows media player works in a pinch. Also: Does it have a dvd drive?

It's also no problem for me to bring my cd-player, if anyone has any good anime CD's we can listen to.
When there isn't karaoke, background music sounds good to me ^_^ I was a dj at WRPI (http://www.wrpi.org) for 2 years, so let's just say I have music to go around ;)

Food and pictures sound like a plus to me :)

inSaniTy
07-11-2004, 10:14 AM
We generally like to have at least a couple laptops on hand just in case, so this is a good thing. The bare bones would be winamp; although windows media player works in a pinch. Also: Does it have a dvd drive?

When there isn't karaoke, background music sounds good to me ^_^ I was a dj at WRPI (http://www.wrpi.org) for 2 years, so let's just say I have music to go around ;)

Yup, DVD drive and WinDVD. :) And I already have Winamp adn Windows MP, so that's all good.

Food and pictures sound like a plus to me :)

Awesome. Does anyone have any favorite foods they'd like me to bring? I know it's early, but I like being prepared ahead of time. :)

Kairi G
07-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Definitely count me in if we can keep it in Saratoga.
lmao, come visit me at the mall >_> I work at Jade Gifts... it's near BonTon. Just ask for Allison. xD

AHEM. ANYWAYS. This makes me giddy on the inside. I think Congress Park is our best bet - they have pavillions, which are free. Last year, my friends and I had a little last-day-of-school party at the park. Holding it at Congress Park would save us money.
About small-scale karaoke... I can provide the laptop. I won't have internet access in the park, but just let me know if there are any songs or programs you'd like me to download. It's also no problem for me to bring my cd-player, if anyone has any good anime CD's we can listen to.

Is there anything else I can help out with? I live right here in Saratoga, so getting information or anything at all isn't a big hassle. I can also give directions if anyone needs them.

What about things like refreshments, food, games, etc.? If you'd like, I can talk to John at Oyishii Japan in the mall (they have AWESOME chicken teriyaki.. :D). He might be able to provide us with some food, such as sushi, rice, etc.

About pictures... we have a digital camera, but we're getting a better one soon. My mom would probably be able to come and take pictures (especially group pictures).

As for the racing season, I don't think that should be a major problem. There should be plenty of parking... like the parking garage across from Ben & Jerry's.

If there's anything else that needs to be done, let me know. :)
whoa, wait they do have pavillions there? and they are free!? could we reserve one do you think? ok Ryoko, if the spa park doesnt get back to you we should try to find out more about congress park.
and about the date, pushing it earlier will make it a)harder to promote b)too close to other cons (otakon mostly) and c)may be hard to get a spot reserved. i offered to move it later, but that was shot down. and a lot of people are busy labor day weekend so thats why we picked the 28th.
once we have something solidified, like the place, everyone has got to start promoting like crazy. i would like to see lots of people turn out for this!
and just so everyone knows, im in nyc right now and having to use the comps at FIT, but i cant get in here often so i wont be online too much except on weekends.

Ryoko-Dono
07-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Okay, as far as plugs go, whomever is in charge of kareoke would you go herehttp://www.saratogaspastatepark.org/pavilions.html and tell me which pavillion would be best that way when I hopefully get ahold of someone on monday I can ask for a specific pavillion?

If I cant get ahold of them on monday would you all just like me to call up Congress Park and see if we need to reserve the pavillion and if they have plugs for equipment?

Were still thinking the 28th, right?

chrono
07-11-2004, 05:54 PM
I checked out the list of Saratoga State Park Pavilions...

lighting...
Columbia & Orenda Shelters are the biggest (and probably most expensive), but the only ones that have light. I don't know what the timeframe will be for a cosplay with karaoke event, but our karaoke parties are usually 4pm-midnight, so lights would be important. If we get one of the smaller tents and we're there past 8ish, we'll want to bring lights.

outlets...
From the looks of things, I don't think we'd need to go more than medium-scale, in which case, I would assume that just 1 outlet would be enough (assuming we bring enough power strips and extension chords). But we will need at least 1, so that rules out Karista & Peerless. If we want 2 or more, it also rules out Carlsbad.

assessment...
So from those 2 aspects alone, here's the verdict, from a karaoke point of view:
Optimal - Columbia, Orenda
Workable - Ferndell, Hathorn, Carlsbad, Cosea

Mystic Blossom
07-11-2004, 06:53 PM
I as well have a good digital camera. I hope we can get a good pavillion at Congress Park, since that's a more optimal location for cosplay stuff than the State Park.

inSaniTy
07-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Any idea how much Columbia and/or Orenda cost? I don't think it'll be horribly expensive. I went through this thread, and counted 10 people so far who are interested.
I was thinking about advertisement... what if we do flyers or something? I'm sure the guys at Spa City Comics (the comic store in the Arcade downtown here in Saratoga) would allow us to hang flyers up in the store. Anyone else interested in flyers around their town?

hikura
07-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Ok.I am in.Been looking at this thread for a couple of days(ok nearly a week lol) waiting to see what would happen and when.If we do flyers of some sort i will some to aquiliona comics in troy.I know the owner and he wouldn't.

chrono
07-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Flyers sound like a good idea to me -- Let's start of list of where we're advertising and how!

flyers
-Spa City Comics, Saratoga [inSaniTy]
-Auquilonia, Troy [hikura]
-store somewhere on northway... *can't remember name*
-Flights of Fantasy, Albany
-Asian food stores?
-Japanese restaurants?
-Colleges & maybe high schools in the area

mailing lists/forums
-cosplay.com
-animelyrics.com [me]
-otakon.com (but i'd imagine most people would have heard of cosplay.com from there by now?)
-NYO! Cosplay
-genericon.union.rpi.edu
-I'll have to see if Smith college's anime club has a mailing list
-Same for SUNY, Albany
-animerathon news network
-RPI's anime club may be able to send an announcement out too

And of course, there's always word of mouth.

inSaniTy
07-11-2004, 10:54 PM
I made a quick draft of a possible flyer. Let me know if any changes need to be made. The upload isn't the original 8.5 x 11, so don't mind the poor quality.

SUNY Plattsburgh, as well. I just went to see the college on Friday, and they have an Asian club :3

And please forgive my lame excuse for using katakana XD

chrono
07-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Cosplay = コスプレー ^_^

Good flyer overall. A few comments:
1) The image could be okay if we're doing color, but that image is not designed for grayscale. I have some nice anime coloring book images which may work, or fanart is always safe.
2) We probably don't want to announce the date on anything we post publicly, so people don't think it's official. Not until the official version of the flyer is ready. It also may be wise to put a "DO NOT DISTRIBUTE" mark on rough drafts.
3) This version is a little pixely. What are you using to scale it down?

KuroBara
07-11-2004, 11:00 PM
I made a quick draft of a possible flyer. Let me know if any changes need to be made. The upload isn't the original 8.5 x 11, so don't mind the poor quality.

SUNY Plattsburgh, as well. I just went to see the college on Friday, and they have an Asian club :3

You'll have to check with Admin before putting Cosplay.com's name on any advertising. As strictly an artistic critique: A lighter background would make the text easier to read.

inSaniTy
07-11-2004, 11:40 PM
You'll have to check with Admin before putting Cosplay.com's name on any advertising. As strictly an artistic critique: A lighter background would make the text easier to read.

Uhn, good point. >_> Then... what should I put for contact information? =/

inSaniTy
07-12-2004, 12:04 AM
http://morbant.psydra.net/cosplaypicnic.html/

There. I sacked the former flyer, and just did a new one. It's 8.5 in. x 5.5. inches, so you'll be able to print two per page. I took out Cosplay.com, but figured we needed someplace to give a little more info, so I threw together that little page. I don't think I included everything, so let me know what else I can put on there.

Here (http://morbant.psydra.net/cosplaypicnicflyer.jpg) is the new flyer.

chrono
07-12-2004, 03:25 AM
Here (http://morbant.psydra.net/cosplaypicnicflyer.jpg) is the new flyer.
In case you missed my very delayed edit, I will repost any comments which still apply to your new version:
1) Japanese is fun! Put コスプレー back in! ^_^
2) Remove the "/" at the end of the URL.
3) You fixed the grayscale issue, but now I want *some* kind of anime related art. I have some nice anime coloring book images which may work, or fanart is always safe.
4) We probably don't want to announce the date on anything we post publicly, so people don't think it's official. Not until the official version of the flyer is ready. It also may be wise to put a "DO NOT DISTRIBUTE" mark on rough drafts (although it sounds like we're pretty close).
5) This one is a little... patriotic :P I'd prefer all pink *jk* <cackles>
6) Since the URL isn't easy to remember, maybe we should also include an easy to remember email contact if anyone has questions? Does anyone have an easy to remember email here?
7) "given" --> "held"
8) The page may want a link to this thread? For people who want to help out/give comments :)

Excellent turn around time on the site and the flyer. Good work ^^

Ryoko-Dono
07-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Also, since we dont have a place yet try not to be specific about it.

I'm going to call up congress and the spa parks and check for rates and such today for the 28th. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Ryoko-Dono
07-12-2004, 10:34 AM
I checked out the list of Saratoga State Park Pavilions...

lighting...
Columbia & Orenda Shelters are the biggest (and probably most expensive), but the only ones that have light. I don't know what the timeframe will be for a cosplay with karaoke event, but our karaoke parties are usually 4pm-midnight, so lights would be important. If we get one of the smaller tents and we're there past 8ish, we'll want to bring lights.

outlets...
From the looks of things, I don't think we'd need to go more than medium-scale, in which case, I would assume that just 1 outlet would be enough (assuming we bring enough power strips and extension chords). But we will need at least 1, so that rules out Karista & Peerless. If we want 2 or more, it also rules out Carlsbad.

assessment...
So from those 2 aspects alone, here's the verdict, from a karaoke point of view:
Optimal - Columbia, Orenda
Workable - Ferndell, Hathorn, Carlsbad, Cosea

Okay, I called up and for the 28th the only pavilion available is the Karista, which doesnt have much. Its $75 per day for a site of that size. So its workable, if we dont want kareoke or lights. (look here for what it has (http://www.saratogaspastatepark.org/pavilions.html))

I tried calling Congress park but I didnt get a response.

So, I can/and will call back Congress Park, but if we really want a pavillion at the Saratoga State park we'll need a different date. Keep in mind that the smaller sites are $75 and the larger ones(columbia and Orenda) are $200(I belive)

Will we want to collect donations for the picnic or just charge people, because unless Congress Park is free and open we'll need to shell out money or find a small location and keep it lowscale.

Mew_Pudding
07-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey,

Sorry I was away for so long. x.x; Anyways, I have a large group of people I`ve talked to that wanna go. ^.^ The 28th sounds great! Congress park is like 15 minutes from my house. I`ve been telling everyone I know and am working on getting some stuff posted around the neighborhood, but I`ll wait until we have a flyer to do that. n.n

inSaniTy
07-12-2004, 11:15 AM
In case you missed my very delayed edit, I will repost any comments which still apply to your new version:
1) Japanese is fun! Put コスプレー back in! ^_^
2) Remove the "/" at the end of the URL.
3) You fixed the grayscale issue, but now I want *some* kind of anime related art. I have some nice anime coloring book images which may work, or fanart is always safe.
4) We probably don't want to announce the date on anything we post publicly, so people don't think it's official. Not until the official version of the flyer is ready. It also may be wise to put a "DO NOT DISTRIBUTE" mark on rough drafts (although it sounds like we're pretty close).
5) This one is a little... patriotic :P I'd prefer all pink *jk* <cackles>
6) Since the URL isn't easy to remember, maybe we should also include an easy to remember email contact if anyone has questions? Does anyone have an easy to remember email here?
7) "given" --> "held"
8) The page may want a link to this thread? For people who want to help out/give comments :)

Excellent turn around time on the site and the flyer. Good work ^^

Thanky spanky. :) The only thing though, your Japanese shows up as boxes. x__X Do you think you could put it in a .jpeg image?

Ryoko-Dono
07-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Do we have an estimate of how many people to excpect? Well need to know that for choosing a spot.

Ryoko-Dono
07-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Okay, update:
Congress park is out. If we wanted to have it there we weould need a permit, insurance, and make sure a wedding wasnt occuring that day.

So, right now we really need to decide on either A) another day in the state park, or B) decide against Kareoke.

Take your pick ^_^

Mystic Blossom
07-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Okay, update:
Congress park is out. If we wanted to have it there we weould need a permit, insurance, and make sure a wedding wasnt occuring that day.

So, right now we really need to decide on either A) another day in the state park, or B) decide against Kareoke.

Take your pick ^_^

Alright, then. I think we should find a different date for the State Park, since the pavillion doesn't even have shelter, which would suck if there's rain. We COULD look into just having it out in the open at Congress Park, if we also make a rain date.

Also, Pudding, have you been in NYC recently?

inSaniTy
07-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Okay, update:

Take your pick ^_^

I say pick another date. What about the previous Saturday, the 21st?

Sorry I was away for so long. x.x; Anyways, I have a large group of people I`ve talked to that wanna go. ^.^ The 28th sounds great! Congress park is like 15 minutes from my house. I`ve been telling everyone I know and am working on getting some stuff posted around the neighborhood, but I`ll wait until we have a flyer to do that. n.n

About how many people are in your group?

Ryoko-Dono
07-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Okay, I'll call tomarow and check out if the 21st is free. We still want a bigger spot, right?

Is anyone aposed to Sunday? We could look into those as well.

inSaniTy
07-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Sunday isn't a problem. I'm a church-goer, but there's an 8:00 service I can attend.

hikura
07-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Any sunday is good for me.Be in fact any weekend day is good for me lol.
So far it is just me for the event.Though i might convince two friends to come and cosplay.I shall have to check.

inSaniTy
07-13-2004, 06:04 AM
So far we have 15 people, give or take. Do we have a set minimum of how many people we need to make this happen? And how many people will we allow?

Ryoko-Dono
07-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Minimum? I dont think so. But if we get the $200 spot we could say ask for $5 donations and as long as we get 40 people we'd be in the clear. If we get a $75 spot and ask for $5 then we only need 15 to attend and be in the clear.

If we get the bigger spots (as prefered for Kareoke) the spots are made for 100-500 people. If we get a smaller spot its about 75-100 people.

Also, while I am finding a spot and date for the picnic, can I ask someone else to actually handle money arrangments. If we need a credit card or anything to reserve a spot I can't. I'm only 15 and I dont fancy asking my dad for help, because hes just too damn unreliable. So I'll make arrangments, but someone else needs to call and say, heres my credit card, give us this spot. Kay?

Mystic Blossom
07-13-2004, 11:54 AM
I can contact my dad and see if he'd be willing to help. But he'll probably need our word of honor that we won't screw up the money if he helps us by lending a credit card. He'll expect to be paid every cent back in full.

Ryoko-Dono
07-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Kay, that will work. I'm just hesitant to have my dad help because he really cant plan and isnt reliable at all. And I think I pissed off my mom last week, so I dont want to ask her. ^_^

I can get one of them to help if all else fails though.

Ryoko-Dono
07-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Okay, if we want a pavillion we need to act fast! These are the free dates and pavilions on weekends in late august:

Sunday, 15th, the Orenda is free (optimal for kareoke)
Sunday, 22nd, the Peerless is free
Saturday, 28th, the Karista is free

Neither the Karista nor the Peerless has electricity, so if we want Kareoke we need to assess if getting the Orenda is worth it. Do we think we could get the $200? (it would require $5 per person if we get 40 people).

PLEASE give me your input ASAP or else we cant do this!!!

Also, I found out payment is through check, so I can probably arrange payment, and I have enough money to get the Orenda and then I can collect money when we get together.

inSaniTy
07-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Orenda sounds good to me. I have plenty in my savings account, so I'll pay for half of it, if you'd like. We definitely need to reserve Orenda A.S.A.P... is there any time we can meet? I'll be stuck at home until Saturday, unless you want to come over to my house. o__O

Ryoko-Dono
07-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Well.... I have no idea who you are/where you live, so I'm gona go ont he assumption that my dad would freak out. ^_^ I can call up the state park again tomarow, give her my contact info, she'll send paperwork, I'll send(/I'll have my dad send) a check, and the spot should be ours.

No one seems to be giving opinions anymore! What happened to everyone?!?!

I need input! I have no self-esteem! I have such a paranoid fear that I'll do something wrong and you'll all hate me! *cries*

Okay, I'm better now.

So, no ones opposed to charging/asking for donations/choosing Orenda?

inSaniTy
07-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Update: I moved the page to my site index, so the URL is easier to remember:

http://morbant.psydra.net/

hikura
07-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Okay, if we want a pavillion we need to act fast! These are the free dates and pavilions on weekends in late august:

Neither the Karista nor the Peerless has electricity, so if we want Kareoke we need to assess if getting the Orenda is worth it. Do we think we could get the $200? (it would require $5 per person if we get 40 people).

PLEASE give me your input ASAP or else we cant do this!!!

Also, I found out payment is through check, so I can probably arrange payment, and I have enough money to get the Orenda and then I can collect money when we get together.
I say the 22nd peerless sounds good to me.Please your doing a wonderful job
so be confident with yoru decisons.Plus 5 bucks per person sounds wonderful to help cover the expense.

Ryoko-Dono
07-13-2004, 09:32 PM
I say the 22nd peerless sounds good to me.Please your doing a wonderful job
so be confident with yoru decisons.Plus 5 bucks per person sounds wonderful to help cover the expense.

Well, my parents found out that I'm doing all this arranging and arent happy about it. I sat through a half an hour to an hour lecture about how it isnt safe and I shouldn't get so carried away. So, long story short, I'm not sure if I can even attend the picnic if we have one.

So, heres what y'all need to do. Someone needs to call up the state park, 518-584-2535, tell them that which pavillion you want and when. Make sure you have the money handled

Good luck!!!

chrono
07-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Okay, I'll call tomarow and check out if the 21st is free.
I will be in San Francisco on the 21st :(

But just because I'm not here doesn't mean karaoke can't happen. Evan could be a good person to turn to if it ends up being the 21st. He ran karaoke and the dance for Genericon this year ^_^

My first pick, for obvious reasons.
I'll be in SF, so I vote against this date.
This could also work. Although the pavillion won't have outlets, scouting ahead and seeing how many feet it is to the nearest outlet may pay off. There's a chance we could run a very long extension chord :)

Well, my parents found out that I'm doing all this arranging and arent happy about it. I sat through a half an hour to an hour lecture about how it isnt safe and I shouldn't get so carried away.
ばか両親 >_< And I would think it's fairly impressive to be planning social events ^^;

So, heres what y'all need to do. Someone needs to call up the state park, 518-584-2535, tell them that which pavillion you want and when.
Well, someone needs to claim responsibility for reservations and money... Things were going so well until now too ;_;

Unfortunately I will be working like crazy Wed & Fri and going to Toronto Thur (for an ECC interview ^^), so it will be tough for me to do any contacting. I'll see. If no one has done anything by 4:45 tomorrow night, I'll try to take action.

The only thing though, your Japanese shows up as boxes. x__X Do you think you could put it in a .jpeg image?
If I had more time, I'd make a great image for you :) For now, 2 ideas:
1) Type "kosupure" into your Japanese IME and press F7.
2) erhm... well i had a couple more, but they're not immediate. You could either install japanese fonts so you can view japanese web pages, or you could see a gif of this generated by Jeffrey's... but neither seem to be an easy solution right now.

Okay, I just realized that it's just コスプレ without the extended vowel. ごめん、皆!

inSaniTy
07-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Don't worry, I've already fixed the Japanese. :)

As for claiming responsibility... I'll do it. o__O I'm right here in Saratoga, so no biggie. My sister has a credit card, so voila! XD

As for the pavillion, I'd really like to have electricity as well. That's the upside. The downside is that we'll have to move the picnic to an earlier date...which means less time to get people, plus more money.

Right now, I'm willing to shell out $200 for the pavillion... I'll just need peoplel to pay me back, seeing as I have car payments (Hehehe...just got my own car :D)

I've also completed the third (hopefully final) copy of the flyer. I haven't tried printing it yet. I've reduced the size MAJORLY, so it's not gonna fatally wound your printers. ;)
Flyer: http://morbant.psydra.net/cosplaypicnicflyer1.jpg

inSaniTy
07-14-2004, 11:05 AM
Okay, I just got off the phone with a woman at City Hall. She wasn't really sure about Congress Park, but she said that we probably don't need reservations or anything. She transferred me to the old casino building (which is right in Congress Park), but I didn't get an answer. Although I'm willing to shell out $200 for Orenda, I'd be really happy if we could get Congress Park for free.

If anyone knows that friends are interested, or if you know of anyone AT ALL who is interested, PLEASE IM me, or email me! I need to know if working for all of this is actually worth it. I'd really like to get at least 20 people. Don't worry, I'm not going to cancel everything if we only have 15 or so.

On Saturday, I can go talk to John at Oyishii Japan and see if he'd be willing to provide us with food at some group rate.

inSaniTy
07-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Ugh, I just got off the phone with the Casino. The woman was really bitchy. --;; Congress Park is definitely out. She was like, "Yeah, you'd need like... a million dollars in insurance and a permit. We don't DO picnics for large groups." Thanks. Bitch.

Mystic Blossom
07-14-2004, 04:32 PM
The 15th is O-U-T out for me. Please, please, PLEASE don't scheudle it that day, as I will not be in town. Any other day after that is fine.

inSaniTy
07-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Okay. Does anyone else have days that they can't make it? I will try my best to work around everyone's schedules. I think Chrono can't make it the 21st.

Mystic Blossom
07-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Is the Orenda free any other day?

We could also look into Blatnick Park, River Road Park or Central Park in Schenectady. Let's keep looking for more locations. There's also Washington Park, which is in Albany.

Mystic Blossom
07-14-2004, 05:13 PM
I found a nifty webpage:
http://www.nuwebny.com/albparks.htm

In a nutshell, it just lists the different parks in our area and their facilities. Washington does not have picnic areas, though it is very beautiful.

Seiya
07-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Oooo!!! Washington park would be awesome!! ^____^ *plots because it's only 10 minutes away from her house* Plus there would be tons of parking available. Either way, I'll most likely be there and $5 is COMPLETELY reasonable. *tries to get together some more people*

inSaniTy
07-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Ergh, I'd like to keep it here in Saratoga. I have no idea where Washington Park is. I can't drive down to Albany by myself, and there's NO WAY either of my parents will.

The State Park here is pretty as well. And if anyone wants, I can drive them over to Congress park for photos (I can only fit 4 other people in my car though >_>). Congress park is VERY beautiful. Spit and Spat is my favorite spot. :)

http://www.saratoga.org/vrtours/CityPark/photo15.htm

hikura
07-14-2004, 08:53 PM
If we need to go to albany for any reason i can get you insanity.I can make it any day so it is ok with me.I convinced seiya to come with a few friends.Now if i can get in touch with my other friend lol.

inSaniTy
07-14-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm going to call the State Park to see if we can reserve Hathorn. It doesn't have lighting, but it does have plugs for amps. Plus it's cheaper than Orenda.

Seiya
07-15-2004, 06:10 AM
Ergh, I'd like to keep it here in Saratoga. I have no idea where Washington Park is. I can't drive down to Albany by myself, and there's NO WAY either of my parents will.

The State Park here is pretty as well. And if anyone wants, I can drive them over to Congress park for photos (I can only fit 4 other people in my car though >_>). Congress park is VERY beautiful. Spit and Spat is my favorite spot. :)

http://www.saratoga.org/vrtours/CityPark/photo15.htm

Nah, it's cool. I can drive up to Saratoga, it's only 20-30 minutes away. I have my own car, I'll most likely have a full car load coming up there so I couldn't offer anyone else a ride. Gomen. Buuuuut... I could hook up a little radio flyer to the back and we could see how that one goes. ^___^;

I'm cool with whatever you guys choose, just let me know when and where!

Kairi G
07-15-2004, 08:14 AM
why dont we push it back a bit into the fall, before it gets cold, cuz i know that it will be easier to schedual. and im really sorry Ryoko that youve been doing all this, and thanks Insanity for stepping in. I really wish i could help more, but being down here in nyc its been very busy with class and stuff. At this point i really think we should start looking at dates in sept. cuz that way we can get the better pavillion and promote it so we have more people. and its a very nice flyer and page, thanks so much for doin that. and once again, keep promoting, get more people in here for input!! ill be home this weekend so ill be online more. and if i am needed to make calls i could prolly do it.

inSaniTy
07-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Okay, thanks Kairi. And I'm going to call State park soon, so I'll look into pushing it back further. I'll let you guys know what dates are available.

hailo
07-15-2004, 10:47 AM
OK!!!!! I am alive!!! And i have some suggestions!!! Firts off, September is a much better time, even though shcool has started. That way we have time, and we can advertise. On another note, can we please not put this thing on a Sunday? I work on Sundays, and I would have to switch days at work, which can be a pain sometimes.

On a lighter happier note. My bf is an obbsessive Photogropher who loves to follow Cosplayers around and take pictures of them. He might be willing to be a photogropher for us.

argh! I had so much to say and now I forgot it . . . oh darn. When I remeber I'll post it.

Oh! Someone posted earlier about what costumes to bring, I might bring Lenne and or Temari. But I'll probably finish my Ulala costume for this picnic instead. Oooo shiny.

hailo
07-15-2004, 10:56 AM
OK I just talked to Yummy, and she is totally out. Don't ask.

Also I remebered what I wanted to say earlier! I'm more than willing to draw a picture for the flyer. If anyone is interested.

Mystic Blossom
07-15-2004, 12:10 PM
My father expressed a willingness to help with the credit card thing, if we still need that.

Mew_Pudding
07-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Hey all,

Wow, this is getting complicated. *-* Well, whereever it`s held I should be able to make it with our group. ^.^;; September is better for me actually `cuz of the costume I wanna wear. (Deathly hot, `specially with wig x.x ) Uhm, so I`m just following whats going on, I guess. XD

inSaniTy
07-15-2004, 12:48 PM
OK!!!!! I am alive!!! And i have some suggestions!!! Firts off, September is a much better time, even though shcool has started. That way we have time, and we can advertise. On another note, can we please not put this thing on a Sunday? I work on Sundays, and I would have to switch days at work, which can be a pain sometimes.

On a lighter happier note. My bf is an obbsessive Photogropher who loves to follow Cosplayers around and take pictures of them. He might be willing to be a photogropher for us.

Yay! Do you think he would mind if we had photo ops in Congress park? I can drive.

And if I can get anything after school starts, I won't be able to do Sundays either (Church, Youth group, and church choir).

Mystic - your dad can help out with the credit card? That would be SO much help. I can give him cash, if he wants.

And speaking of money, can anyone help pay for the pavilion? I just bought a car, so my savings was pretty much wiped out --; BUT HAVE NO FEAR! I make about $130/week during the summer.

I forget who it was, but I've already made a flyer - thanks for volunteering, though :) Just let people know about the picnic.

inSaniTy
07-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Oh, and Hailo - do you know any html or anything? If you'd like to help out, you could maintain the page:

http://morbant.psydra.net/

Maybe make it look pretty or something. I haven't had a heck of a lot of time to work on it a whole lot >_> Just PM me if you're interested, and I can give you the FTP uploader info.

inSaniTy
07-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Okay, the woman from the park just called me back. Both the Ferndell and Karista have electricity (2 outlets), and they're only $75.

Ferndell - Saturday, September 4th

Karista - Saturday, September 11th

Either one works for me. I need to know everyone's input A.S.A.P. because the Pavilions book VERY, VERY fast. I'll have to send in an application soon ~
Mystic, if I give you my number, do you think you could call me? Then maybe I could talk to your dad. I think the easiest way would be for me to give him the cash, and then he can fill out the application to reserve one of the two pavilions.

Mystic Blossom
07-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Yay! Do you think he would mind if we had photo ops in Congress park? I can drive.

And if I can get anything after school starts, I won't be able to do Sundays either (Church, Youth group, and church choir).

Mystic - your dad can help out with the credit card? That would be SO much help. I can give him cash, if he wants.

And speaking of money, can anyone help pay for the pavilion? I just bought a car, so my savings was pretty much wiped out --; BUT HAVE NO FEAR! I make about $130/week during the summer.

I forget who it was, but I've already made a flyer - thanks for volunteering, though :) Just let people know about the picnic.

I'll call my dad again later to clarify that the offer is really on the table. Feel free to e-mail me your phone number, though, unless it's a Verizon cell phone, I personally won't be able to call you unless it's after 9 PM or a weekend. But I can give it to my dad so you two can arrange something with the money. My e-mail address is shinigami86@hotmail.com

By the way, Pudding. I was in Chinatown last Saturday and could have sworn I saw you. I'll bet my eyes were just playing tricks on me, but if they weren't, that'd be pretty interesting.

hikura
07-15-2004, 06:46 PM
I say the fourth at ferndell.

chrono
07-16-2004, 12:16 AM
I'm more than willing to draw a picture for the flyer. If anyone is interested.
Yayy! Art :) I say bring it on. What do people want? I'm picturing some cute shoujo line art, but that's my taste. Any input?

Oh, and Hailo - do you know any html or anything? If you'd like to help out, you could maintain the page:
I can't say I'm good or anything, but I'm certainly capable of helping if you'd like it.

Kairi G
07-16-2004, 07:54 AM
fourth is labor day weekend isnt it? should we maybe avoid that since people may be going away? i would go for the 11th. oh Hailo you should draw something cuz we do need good pics for the flyer when we finally get on finalized and something drawn would give it a more personal touch. and i can of course help pay for the pavillion, and if we can get Hailos bf to do pics, hes amazing so im sure everyone would be happy with the results. but wed have to help him pay for film and stuff.

KuroBara
07-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Wow, look at you guys doing all this work! I too vote for the 11th. With the Republican convention going on Labor Day weekend traffic will probably be nightmarish in our whole region.

I'd be willing to pay ~$5 + for this and bring some food. Hmm...what's the interest so far? If you can get 20 people to pay $5 you'd have $100 for the pavillion & a photographer's fees.

hailo
07-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Yeah the downside is the film thing, but he really doesn't mind too much. He did Yummy and Sam's prom pics, and we had to practically shove the money down his throught to get him to take it.

As for html: I'm faily good, nothing spectacular, but I'm ok. I can keep things in clean and simple.

As for art, I kinda, um already sketched something. I can put it on the Website instead of the flyer is everyone wants.

Also! I agree with Kairi, the 11th sounds better, and either of the Pavillions would work. I might be able to help pay for them as well, but not right now. What park are those pavillions at again? We've mentioned so many of them that I can't keep them all straight now ^__^;;. I'll post the picture I drew later today.

Kairi G
07-16-2004, 10:54 AM
maybe for the film issue, everyone could bring their own, and then i think we could prolly manage to pay tim a bit extra too for doing the pics, since hes so fabulous! so whats the consensus, are we going for the 11th? its our best bet i think.

so other than plannign the date and place, we need to figure out some of the stuff we want to do. kareoke has been suggested, and i think that would be fun if we could manage it. does anyone have any othe suggestions for activities?
maybe some anime themed games, or like a ja-ken-po tournament (a crazy japanese version of rock paper scissors with squeeky hammers and hitting people). of course we would arrange photo ops and stuff. and i think we should have some sort of contest for the costumes, maybe not too involved but something. if people wanted we could do like a mini masqerade, anyone who wanted could do a little skit or something.

one question, in the searching for a place to hold this, did anyon come across teh bathroom situation at the park, are the pavillions close to a bathroom area, so that way people could if they wanted bring multiple costumes.

inSaniTy
07-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Alright, I'll see if I can reserve the Karista for September 11th. Of course they have to make it complicated by having an application to reserve the things :sulk: But hopefully it won't be too big of a problem. In order to reserve a pavilion, I'm pretty sure you have to be 18. If this IS the case, there are a few people going who could do this for us, right?

I think there are accessable bathrooms. Then again, I haven't been there in a while. >_>

As for other activities ~ Kairi, good idea. We should do a little masquerade or something. Maybe some skits, if people want. That game you describe sounds interesting XD I've never heard of it. After work tomorrow, I'm going to talk to John at Oyishii Japan to see if he can provide us with food. Karista has 2 power outlets, so maybe we could have a DDR tournament? I have PS2, DDRMax and Konamix, and one pad that works. And what about a raffle or something? Maybe for some anime videos, or wall scrolls.

KuroBara
07-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Good point about bathrooms, they are pretty important. ^_~

I like the Ja-ken-po tournament idea. Are there any other games played in anime? I can only think of Go from Hikaru no Go, and that's not something that's easy to teach. Does anyone play CCGs like Yu-Gi-Oh, .hack//ENEMY, etc?

A mini-masquerade would be fun, are there people who want to do skits? A contest sounds ok- but no serious awards. They could be things like best use of a found object, spiffiest wig, pinkest, etc. That's what my anime club did for our Halloween ghetto cosplay contest. (Characters were chosen out of a hat, people had $10 and one week to put together a costume). Some of the awards were Most Absorbent (a Summoner Yuna made almost entirely of towels) and best use of blue paint (you really don't want to know).

Hmm...oh! We could do an Iron cosplay contest! I've seen it at a few cons. There's a big box of random objects and teams have to put together a costume with them. One con even did an Iron Lolita contest where three teams made EG&L outfits from toilet paper! That could be fun, and a good way to include those who aren't in costume.

Sorry, this post is being written as I think...not always the best strategy!

Mystic Blossom
07-16-2004, 02:36 PM
My dad says he'll help with the credit card situation, if we still need it. I think what we've got so far sounds great.

hailo
07-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Wow KuroBara those ideas sound great!! The Iron Cosplay contest sounds like a lot of fun! I would so be into that! As for the 11th, that sounds like a good date. Now witch park are we at? I can't keep track anymore!!

About having a DDR tournament: we had one at our Anime Club's Halloween dance and it was a big success, right Kairi? Sounds good, but hard cement might be hard on the feet, or the pad. And shoes are really tough on those pads. We might want to look into putting some type of padding under the pads or something.

Well that's my input. 11th is good for me.

chrono
07-17-2004, 01:10 AM
I got up an ad on Genericon's forum!
http://genericon.union.rpi.edu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=107#107

Any feedback is welcome, and then I'll start shooting it off other places as well. Let me know if you want to advertise stuff online so we can coordinate (and not duplicate) our work :)

Kairi G
07-17-2004, 10:09 AM
yea ddr could be done, we could easily get something to put under the pads so they dont get destroyed. and i like that Iron Cosplay idea, sounds like tons of fun! and yea, if we did a contest for the costumes it wouldnt really be a serious thing, leave that for the cons!
i had an idea for advertising. but i dont really know much about it so i dont know if its possible. but what about a banner ad for websites, how many of you have websites? you could put up a banner ad that directs people to the page that is set up. also has that page been updated with the new info yet?
also for flyers and stuff. me and my mom thought of more places we could put em up. like at the Costumer, they would definatly post one, they like our weird hobbies. and also at art stores or fabric stores around the area, since cosplayers practically live in them. also i know there are some cafes and stuff in saratoga that have bulletin boards for community stuff, and so we could definatly post something there.
has a new design been made yet. ill see hailo this afternoon maybe we can come up with something fun.

Akula
07-17-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi All,

My name is George.

I was at Katsu one, and my group won judges favs.

I want to attend this 'picnic'.

George

Akula
07-18-2004, 12:00 AM
(Incidentally I suggest the name Minikon since Minicon used to be an update NY thing which has moved on, so a Minikon would be a neat sequel!)

Akula
07-18-2004, 12:02 AM
(How does one confirm interest in attending?)

Kairi G
07-18-2004, 12:07 AM
well right now there is a page for this up, and a guest book to sign, but your appearance here on the thread is pretty much enough confirmation for us at this point.
has anyone found out any more about the space? have we been able to reserve it for the 11th?

yeah and should we come up with an actual name for this thing, like some of the other picnics have (ex.like the Candy Hearts Cosplay Picnic in Texas)?

also. i just announced this over in the NYO! Cosplay forum just incase anyone from there would be interested.

chrono
07-18-2004, 12:35 AM
Incidentally I suggest the name Minikon since...
I like the sound of that. miniature + convetion = minikon :)
katakana: ミニコン

Other ideas could be something relating to NYU! Cosplay, if we do end up forming such a group. "NYU Cosplay Picnic" or something.

I really like the pun opportunities in the group name too.
1) NYU = New York Upperstate
2) nyuu = Noise that Puchiko makes
3) NYUU = How "new" sounds when said in engrish/japanese
4) Based on NYO! Cosplay's name

chrono
07-18-2004, 06:29 PM
On the web page, there's no mention that the picnic will be taking place in New York. Since we're advertising on forums and whatnot, people from out of state may be confused.

Mew_Pudding
07-18-2004, 07:48 PM
The 11th sounds great, all the game`s sound real fun, and since our whole cosplay group has decided on Magic Knight Rayearth characters. (Hopefuly. XD) We will be happy to do a skit! (I`ll be Aska/Primera. =D) The mini-masquerade idea is great! n.n

inSaniTy
07-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Is anyone (who has a credit card or whatnot) able to call up the state park and ask for an application to reserve the pavilion?

State Park #: (518) 584-2535

I've been super busy, so I haven't had a chance to call >_< It would be a HUGE help if someone could call to reserve the pavilion. The info:
Date: September 11th
Pavilion: Karista

Thanks a bunch.

Resuka
07-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Somehow I nearly missed this thread- a cosplay picnic somewhere remotely near me!

The Labor Day weekend date may work for me- and any location in the capital region of NY would be quite accessible.

Provided I don't have any unforseen scheduling conficts that weekend, I'm willing to show up in costume with picnic-fare. I'll even assist with karaoke, since some of the rest of the Otakon/Genericon grew will be there ^_~

I do hope this ambitious plan pans out!

KuroBara
07-19-2004, 09:45 AM
This is coming along great! I would put a banner on my LJ userinfo page and my website (if I ever get it back up)! Ooh...a name...hmm...

*think think think*

Mew_Pudding
07-19-2004, 11:20 AM
This is so great! I`m sure It`ll be tons of fun! ^.^

I just wish I could help with the reservations and what-not some more. >.<;

Kairi G
07-19-2004, 11:53 AM
The 11th sounds great, all the game`s sound real fun, and since our whole cosplay group has decided on Magic Knight Rayearth characters. (Hopefuly. XD) We will be happy to do a skit! (I`ll be Aska/Primera. =D) The mini-masquerade idea is great! n.n
Your doing Rayearth? i should have my Celestial Umi done by then and my friend is being Fuu for Otakon. so we will have rayearth chars too!

Is someone able to reserve the pavillion? Im not home right now, but if no one else can, i could prolly email my mom and she might be able to do it. but i would prefer if someone else could.

Should we come up with some sort of theme for the event at all? It might help with coming up with a name.

and so far, possible events assuming we get proper electricity are:
mini masquerade
ddr competition
card games (Yu-Gi-Oh and such)
Ja-Ken-po tournament
Kareoke (contest?)
Iron Cosplay conpetition
photoshoots (group and individual)

that seems like a good list to me. but we are always open to new suggestions.
would anyone be interested in a mini LARP, im not really sure how those are run, but i know that there seems to be interest even at small cons.

Insanity~ did you find out about the japanese food issue? would be cool if we could have some catered. I know places to get great japanese snacks and pocky and stuff.

Mystic Blossom
07-19-2004, 12:00 PM
What's the URL for the website again?
Insanity, I'll ask my dad if he'd be willing to call and reserve the pavillion. However, we all have to be willing to pay him back, and he'll want to know how we're going to do that. What shall I tell him.
Also, I'll be wearing my Mayune costume, and possibly Miroku, though I doubt I'll have that done in time. Anyone else wanna do Pretear?

Mew_Pudding
07-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Alright! Go Rayearth! ^.^ My Aska is almost done (Just have to do the wig, hairpiece and earrings. x.x) But, I`m worried it might be too hot, so I`ve just started my Primera to be done for this. We also may have a Chizeta Umi and we`ll definitely have a Tatra! =D

I`m trying to help as much as I can but, there doesn`t seem to be much I can do. ^.^; If anyone has anything that I could help with, please tell me! =D

Quantum9
07-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Just want to let everyone know, I'll be available to give rides to people from around the Albany region. I have 4 seats available, however, 2 (or 3, maybe all 4) might be already filled. I'll keep everyone posted.

chrono
07-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Good call about rides. For special events like these, I usually always organize carpools. I'd be happy to help organize for other people (although this board seems like the perfect place for it), but I concentrate on having people meet at RPI's horseshoe and caravanning from there.

Gale
07-20-2004, 12:34 PM
aww...thanks Kairi for telling me about this...but looking at the date it will be my first weekend after I move into school, so its a definate no for me...sorry, wish I could go >.< oh well...

Kairi G
07-20-2004, 04:03 PM
oh sadness, oh well, maybe we will do another sometime!

so are things moving along with the reserving a spot? if we dont act fast we will lose the spot and may end up pushing this thing back even farther into sept. and i know people didnt want to do that. so somebody, who is able and has a credit card please reserve us something!

Mystic Blossom
07-20-2004, 04:34 PM
I wonder if I could get a Rayearth costume done in time. Any ideas? I was thinking Celestial Hikaru, but I'm not up to the armor and I doubt Kairi has time to help me there ^^;; I love Primera, but you already have one...

Mystic Blossom
07-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Also, I'll tell my dad to reserve the spot. What's the number to dial?

hikura
07-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Also, I'll tell my dad to reserve the spot. What's the number to dial?
State Park #: (518) 584-2535

I've been super busy, so I haven't had a chance to call >_< It would be a HUGE help if someone could call to reserve the pavilion. The info:
Date: September 11th
Pavilion: Karista.This was a quaote from last page lol.
There you go.
Edit:Yes we will pay him(father) back.We will make sure everyone pays or else they will meet knuckles.Knuckles is a short mean italian bald guy.Guess how he got his name lmao.(this is meant as a joke about knuckles).

Mystic Blossom
07-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Alright, and we'll be able to pay him back in full by the time of the picnic, right?

And you know what we should call this? Nyucon!

inSaniTy
07-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Finally time to post x__x

Mystic - your dad reserved the pavilion for us? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I've just been so exhausted lately u__u; Not to mention I keep forgetting to take my medication in the morning >_>

Anyways. Minikon or Nyukon sound like great names to me, although I happen to like Nyukon a little better =)
Hmm...what else? e__e The only thing on my mind right now is how melty my chocolate bar is XD

Mystic Blossom
07-20-2004, 05:22 PM
He should, when I call him tonight, but like I said, we have to swear that we'll pay him back.

chrono
07-20-2004, 05:47 PM
And you know what we should call this? Nyucon!
Anyways. Minikon or Nyukon sound like great names to me, although I happen to like Nyukon a little better =)
Looks like some fun name generation :)

Actually, if a NYU! Cosplay cosplay group is formed, I think NYU! Con may work, just keeping with the theme. I also like Nyuukon as a second choice. (doesn't Puchiko say nyuu and not nyu? I can do research if no one knows for sure.)

Mystic Blossom
07-20-2004, 05:51 PM
I think it can be translated either way.

Mystic Blossom
07-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Bad news, guys. My dad refuses to reserve it for us unless we A) pay him the money in full up front, or B) devise a way to reserve admission ahead of time, like through Pay Pal, so we can completely guarentee we'll give him the money back. He talked my freaking ear off giving me a lecture about responsiblity and crap, so unless we can find another adult who's willing to reserve it without question, we have to find a way to get him the money ahead of time.

inSaniTy
07-20-2004, 09:56 PM
I can pay your dad the $75 dollars the day of the picnic. I have almost $1000 in my savings, so I can just set aside the 75. =)

OR NO! [Edit] I just had an idea XD We could have, like stated earlier, a $5 admission fee. Then we could do hand stamps or passes or something like that.

Resuka
07-21-2004, 10:39 AM
I just had an idea XD We could have, like stated earlier, a $5 admission fee. Then we could do hand stamps or passes or something like that.

The problem is, we need to have someone willing to front the $100.00 deposit now to reserve the space.

What are the contract terms, venue info, and deposit deadline?

I would possibly be willing to reserve the space on my card, but would want to set up a Paypal prereg system, with at-event registrations a dollar or two higher (this is the standard fee structure at most conventions and similar events). This would help minimize the risk of eating the full reservation cost, although there would still be some chance of that depending on total attendance.

Hm.

Any other ideas? (hold an Otaku bake sale at the local anime clubs to raise start-up funds?! XP)

inSaniTy
07-21-2004, 11:21 AM
The problem is, we need to have someone willing to front the $100.00 deposit now to reserve the space.

$100? Karista is only $75...
When I talked to the woman at the park office, she said we needed to pay BEFORE the date of the picnic. Which means we'll obviously be $75 in the hole, but that's the reasoning for having an entry fee.

Honestly, if anyone can, and is WILLING to reserve it A.S.A.P., PLEASE DO! After we reserve the Karista, we can figure the money situation out then.

Mystic Blossom
07-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Well, I called my dad again late last night and he agreed to call the park and see what can be done. Insanity, give me your phone number so my dad can call you (and your real name). Also, how long is the reservation for? The whole day?

Kairi G
07-21-2004, 12:14 PM
oh i hope something can be worked out. if i had the ability to do it i would, but since i dont have a credit card, and all. but please tell me if its absolutely necessary and a last resort i bet my mom would do it,. but we have like no money right now and so she and my dad dont really want to have to do it for fear of not getting it back, we had to fund a lot of our anime clubs jpop dance party, and we didnt get a lot of that money back.

Mystic Blossom
07-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Wonderful news! The pavillion is pretty much all registered. My dad reserved it, and they'll send him the paperwork, so it's basically all set. It would still be great if we could pay him back as quickly as possible, so we wouldn't have to worry about it later. He also said to mention that there is an entrance fee to get into the park itself, and it's about six dollars per car, which is why carpools would be awesome. We should still see if we can work out a registration system, like having people pay five dollars through registering, and six or seven dollars if they haven't registered already.

Also, how are we going to figure out food? Is it bring your own, or will we try to get catering?

Mew_Pudding
07-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Yay! *Throws Confetti* I love to cook, so I could make food to bring, unless we have it catered `cuz catering is YUMMY =D

Excuse my stupidity but, this is at Congress Park right? ^.^; *Might`ve told people wrong place* XD;

KuroBara
07-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Yea! I'm so happy we have an official place and date! (Sorry, I'm a bit broke so I couldn't do it) As for food, I think that kind of depends on the time. Do we want a meal, or just snacks? Like...are we doing lunch + munchies, munchies + dinner, or just munchies? If we go for a meal I suggest having the main course catered, it would just make life easier.

I'm a better baker then cook, so I can do dessert-stuff. When it gets closer we should start a food list so people bring a variety of stuff.

What are the hours that we have the pavillion? That will influence when we have the picnic, and that will influence what kind of food we need.

Is anyone keeping a tally of who is going? That'll influence food too.

Geez, there's so much planning!

Quantum9
07-21-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm a decent cook, when I have time ^^; I do know DJ and my friend Goki's Mom knows how to make some wonderful Japanese dishes, so maybe we can ask her to make some for the picnic!

Maybe I'll just bring Soda...perhaps some pocky?

chrono
07-22-2004, 12:37 AM
I do know DJ and my friend Goki's Mom knows how to make some wonderful Japanese dishes
How did you know? :)

I can't say very well, but I make okonomiyaki, yakisoba, and curry. And although Chinese, I make mabo doufu and fried rice, which are often eaten in Japan.

Resuka
07-22-2004, 10:14 AM
I do know DJ and my friend Goki's Mom knows how to make some wonderful Japanese dishes, so maybe we can ask her to make some for the picnic!

I second that! I wonder if she'd be willing to cater this event?

I'd happily Paypal in a prereg fee of $5, and add in a catering fee as well- if there's any chance that we can convince Goki to make teriyaki tofu. XP

No one else makes it right, damnit! *complains bitterly*

Mystic Blossom
07-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Yay! *Throws Confetti* I love to cook, so I could make food to bring, unless we have it catered `cuz catering is YUMMY =D

Excuse my stupidity but, this is at Congress Park right? ^.^; *Might`ve told people wrong place* XD;

No, dahling ^_^ Tis at Saratoga Springs State Park. Karista Pavilion.

Let's think of all the things we need to do that will cost money. That way, we get a better idea of what we should charge for admission.

Pavilion
Food?
Iron Cosplay stuff
Other entertainment investments?

Kairi G
07-22-2004, 12:08 PM
we need to decide a time so we can start advertising this thing. i suggest starting round 10-11ish, that way it gives people time to get there.
also friendly reminder is that it costs $6 a car to enter the park, so carpooling would be a good plan.
also question. does Karista have plugs? can we still do kareoke and ddr?

id be willing to organize a cosplay contest of some sort, pm me if you wanna help with that aspect, i really think we should start branching off into smaller groups to plan the more specific events.

chrono
07-22-2004, 03:08 PM
also question. does Karista have plugs? can we still do kareoke and ddr?
http://www.saratogaspastatepark.org/pavilions.html

No outlets :-(

I will have to survey the area to see if a 100-200 foot extension chord could do the trick. Anyone have any long chords like that? If anyone is interested in surverying the area ahead of time for planning purposes, we can all go together or something ^^

Mew_Pudding
07-22-2004, 06:05 PM
No, dahling ^_^ Tis at Saratoga Springs State Park. Karista Pavilion.

Whoo. ^.^v *Blonde-ness* Thankies. x.x;

I would be happy to help organize the cosplay event. (As long as I can still be in it. ^.^;;; ) I guess I have a bit of expierience with them. ^.^ Been in...3. o.O; Yay? I`m just looking for ways to help. n.n;

inSaniTy
07-22-2004, 09:38 PM
http://www.saratogaspastatepark.org/pavilions.html

No outlets :-(

I will have to survey the area to see if a 100-200 foot extension chord could do the trick. Anyone have any long chords like that? If anyone is interested in surverying the area ahead of time for planning purposes, we can all go together or something ^^

When I talked to the woman at the park, she said that Karista has outlets. But I would bring an extension cord (or two =) ) just in case.

Kairi G
07-22-2004, 11:01 PM
someone really should go over there sometime to scope it all out, and see wat the outlet/space situation is. also how close it is to a bathroom/changing area,for people with multiple costumes.

Quantum9
07-23-2004, 12:39 AM
*Raises hand* Oooooh! I'll go! I'll go!!!! *jumps around wildly*

I'll actually be in Saratoga tomorrow (well, today by the time this is being typed ^^;) so if I can ask nicely, perhaps they can let me in without TOO much of a hassle...if I have to pay a little however, that's no big deal.

Mystic Blossom
07-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Whoo. ^.^v *Blonde-ness* Thankies. x.x;

I would be happy to help organize the cosplay event. (As long as I can still be in it. ^.^;;; ) I guess I have a bit of expierience with them. ^.^ Been in...3. o.O; Yay? I`m just looking for ways to help. n.n;

I think that would be ok. You just wouldn't be able to judge if you're a contestant. Also, it'll seem less weird if the organizer is participating if you get someone to help you out.

Quantum9
07-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Just got back from the park, guys, and there MAYYYY be a problem.

I checked the date for Sept. 11th at Karista pavillion, and someone else had it for that date - a "Dr. Lieberman". Unless that's your dad, MB, something may be fishy here.

Anyway, I did take a look at the location of the pavillion, and its great :). Very secluded, with a lot of areas for pictures and whatnot. Didn't get any more information, but I just thought you'd all like to know, and can check up on that.

hikura
07-23-2004, 04:37 PM

I checked the date for Sept. 11th at Karista pavillion, and someone else had it for that date - a "Dr. Lieberman". Unless that's your dad, MB, something may be fishy here.

Anyway, I did take a look at the location of the pavillion, and its great :). Very secluded, with a lot of areas for pictures and whatnot. Didn't get any more information, but I just thought you'd all like to know, and can check up on that.
What about power outlets?Did you see any of them and how close are they?

Quantum9
07-23-2004, 05:09 PM
No word on power outlets. Once this snafu with the scheduling is taken care of, I'll go back and see the pavillion firsthand. Right now I'm just working off what I saw on the map/in pictures.

inSaniTy
07-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Eric, it's DEFINITELY reserved? Crapola >_> What about Peerless? Eeergh.

Quantum9
07-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way too. Maybe they thought I meant August 11th? Anyway, I'll go back tomorrow before I go into work at 4, so I'll be able to update later. If this still is a problem, then we may need to postpone to a better date X.X;;;;

KuroBara
07-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Hmm...get that straightened out quickly. Hopefully they think you meant August 11th.

So...time? 11:00 sounds good. I can wake up at a reasonable hour and still drive the two hours. Should it just be 11:00 - whatever?

Mystic Blossom
07-24-2004, 05:17 PM

Not to worry, not to worry. Dr. Lieberman is indeed my father. ^_^ Shiloh Lieberman, to be exact. Let's all remember to give him a big thank you for helping us if he is able to attend the picnic.

Kairi G
07-24-2004, 06:56 PM
oh my, no worries guys everything is in order! so anyone wanna do a flyer to post around the area and stuff. if someone has a picture made up , i should ask hailo if she finished what she was working on... anyways, im not gonna be around much until after otakon so i wont be able to make one, unless i get the picture, like tonite.

Mystic Blossom
07-24-2004, 07:04 PM
I might be able to pull something together when I come back from my summer program, but my window of opportunity is small since I'll have barely a week before I have to go off for vacation (and even less if my boyfriend is able to visit). But after vacation, I should have much more time.
I've also decided to jump on the bandwagon and make a Presea costume, since I love Presea and that won't take me long to make. So, there we go. :p

Quantum9
07-25-2004, 01:32 AM
Ah. Phew. That's good. ^_^

Anyway, wasn't able to get there today...traffic sucked. I will go back tomorrow, though. I work at 12.

Xanthe Kelsylva
07-25-2004, 04:14 PM
How far would this be from Rochester, NY? It sounds like a lot of fun and I'd like to come if I can!

hikura
07-25-2004, 05:23 PM
How far would this be from Rochester, NY? It sounds like a lot of fun and I'd like to come if I can!
Rochester is kinda far from saratoga.It is like 160 to 170 miles away.In other words a good 2 and half hour drive.The good news is that it is all highway.You would need to take I-90 Eastbound to I-87 Northbound.

Mystic Blossom
07-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Kairi, I met Kelly yesterday, and she expressed an interest in going.

Also, we really really need to start thinking about food and such. There are places where if you order their merchaindise a certain number of days in advance, you get a discount, so we need to keep that in mind.

chrono
07-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Eric has informed me that although Karista has no outlets, its very close neighboring pavillion, Geyser, does. It is my thought that if we arrange ahead of time, we can probably borrow one plug and power everything we need off of it.

This is a reminder for me to contact the park to arrange this. Or if anyone else wants to do it, great (since I won't have a chance to do this until after Otakon). Either way, any results should be reported back here ^_~

hailo
07-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Wow I haven't posted in forever! But all is well, and planning seems to be going well! I'm sorry for saying something about art and then running off. I was forced to go on vacation with my parents for a week.

So the picture is done, unfortunetly I don't have it scanned >< sorry. I feel bad about that really I do. I'll get everything together soonish. By the way, was it you Hikura who asked about website help? I never got a reply about that. I thought I PMed you. Do you still need help?

hikura
07-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Wow I haven't posted in forever! But all is well, and planning seems to be going well! I'm sorry for saying something about art and then running off. I was forced to go on vacation with my parents for a week.

So the picture is done, unfortunetly I don't have it scanned >< sorry. I feel bad about that really I do. I'll get everything together soonish. By the way, was it you Hikura who asked about website help? I never got a reply about that. I thought I PMed you. Do you still need help?
Nope it was not me who asked for help.I couldn't even design a webpage lol.

Quantum9
07-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Just an update...Like DJ said, I did get a chance to visit the pavillion today, and found a lot of cool things about it. It's very secluded, so we won't be bothered. Also, there are some great, great, GREAT spots for photoshoots -

1. There's a creek nearby with two bridges
2. there's a forest nearby, plenty of trees and wooded areas.

Also, there's a volleyball net - so those that don't want to do DDR, Karaoke, or other stuff can just play that....It'd be great if someone brought a volleyball (preferably a blitzball - can someone pick one up at Ota?)

KuroBara
07-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Sounds cool, thanks for checking out the park! Hmm...it sounds like I should bring Magi (.hack//DUSK) or Haku (Naruto).

*think think think*

Oh, um, Kairi G and I have been working behind the scenes on Iron Cosplay stuff, we're close to posting rules and such. Also, if we could get an estimate on how many people are going that would be helpful. It's necessary for food & all that good stuff.

For me- I'd probably drag my boyfriend. He cosplays too, his cosplay.com name is Suzaku_Seishi. He doesn't post, but has some pics up. So that's 2 for me...

There are about 15 people who have posted here and expressed interest. So that...plus friends...I don't know, help me out people!

Mystic Blossom
07-27-2004, 09:56 AM
The Iron Cosplay thing and everything else sounds absolutely wonderful. However, we really need to put urgency on deciding how to deal with the food situation. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Resuka
07-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Potluck/picnic style may be the best way to go for this first time, since it's hard to tell what the final attendance tally will be. If this event is an amazing success, then perhaps catering should be considered for the next time. Catering tends to be a little on the pricey side, and most caterers prefer to have somewhat firm numbers a day or two in advance.

Unless, of course, we want to "cater" it with pizza, or somesuch. XP

I'd be perfectly happy to bring my obentou packed with sushi, onigiri, perhaps some udon, and so on. Yay for traditional picnics! ^_~

chrono
07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
So the picture is done ... I'll get everything together soonish.Looking forward to seeing it!

It'd be great if someone brought a volleyball (preferably a blitzball - can someone pick one up at Ota?)Is there a particular reason to get the ball at otakon? Is it an anime item?

Also, if we could get an estimate on how many people are going that would be helpful. It's necessary for food & all that good stuff.I can certainly help with this, if no one is keeping a solid count, so far. If someone is, well, we'll need to wait a little bit - I haven't emailed animerathon yet, and I'll be interested to see how many say they're going from that.

I can email them right? The date, time and place are all set? (it was outdated on the site, last I checked)

But off-hand you can probably count on at least 5-10 people from my end as well as 2 people that have posted on genericon's bbs that they will go.

Kairi G
07-27-2004, 03:37 PM
ok on the issue of food, it should prolly be potluck, its easiest that way, and then maybe we could arrange for pizza too. something that is very very important tho is that no alcohol be allowed. its against park rules and way too many people are underage. so we need to make that clear on whatever flyer we make.

and for people.....well there is me, my sister...my mom (yes she cosplays too!) and prolly a few other friends(3-4ish), plus ill send an announcement out to the anime club at school and we may get a few people from there as well.

has the webpage thingy been updated? just wondering.....we should post up whatever we have decided for sure as of this point.

Mystic Blossom
07-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Chrono: Yeah, the blitzball is from Final Fantasy 10.

The potluck sounds good. Having some Japanese food items, though, would be great.

Mew_Pudding
07-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey all,

Just checking in. Sorry I haven`t been on that much. ^.^;

I think that would be ok. You just wouldn't be able to judge if you're a contestant. Also, it'll seem less weird if the organizer is participating if you get someone to help you out.

Thats fine. I dunno how good a judge I`d be anyways. XD I`d be happy to help with the potluck. *Pulls out Chefs stuff* ^.^ Yay! I`m really looking forwards to it!

hailo
07-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Who is it that is running the website? Sorry about he mix up Hikura. Also I'll be coming, and I'll try and drag Sam and Katie, Kairi, did you count Heather and Steve in your friends list?

Hmm it sounds like I should bring Temari and make Sam a Sasuke costume and make Katie a Sakura costume instead of making Ulala. Seeing as it's a wood-sie setting. Woods make for a good place to take Ninja photos.

Quantum9
07-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Hmmm...Let's see...I know I'm bringing my friend Randall. My friend Jen might be bringing her friends, or I may have to drive them, so unknown there. So I might have 3 seats, I might have none (well, one, but it's that uncomfortable front middle seat that no one likes to sit in, and unless someone REALLY wants to come I won't force them to experience the pain of it XD). As I said, I will keep everyone posted on who's coming (that I know of).

Akula
07-27-2004, 11:00 PM
I still like Minikon, though i'm biased, Nyucon would work if Nyu! was a bit more organized group (that names has been tossed around for like 2 years now! :) why isn't the group official? Hey didn't I come up with NYU? >_>;; ) Maybe Nyucon would be best and it could be the first official event? So what is the official date? I just wish I wasn't too poor to have a new costume for it but i can always whip out my time tested Ken costume...

G3
(ps akula means shark in Russian, www.akoola.ru)

chrono
07-28-2004, 12:12 AM
has the webpage thingy been updated? just wondering.....we should post up whatever we have decided for sure as of this point.
Quite right. http://morbant.psydra.net/ It doesn't seem like it's been updated in a week or 2.
Who is it that is running the website?
Let's see... I think Insanity was doing this... Does anyone know Insanity? I could try bugging her for a response if necessary. I would also be happy to work on web maintenance (though I would need to run it on my computer), but I wouldn't be able to work on it until after Otakon.

[Edit: Apparently Eric knows insanity, and the reason it's been a little out of date is because she's been busy.]

Chrono: Yeah, the blitzball is from Final Fantasy 10.
Sweeet. I would so love some volleyball.

chrono
07-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Nyucon would work if Nyu! was a bit more organized group
It would ~have~ to be NYU! Con XD

why isn't the group official? Hey didn't I come up with NYU? >_>;; ) Maybe Nyucon would be best and it could be the first official event?
Maybe because you didn't spread the word enough? XP But yeah, seriously. I've been talking about the idea for years, but haven't done much about it. I collected some interested party's emails to be put on an email list, and promptly did nothing with it.

Pimping your goods again, George? :P (btw, George is the proud owner of http://www.kawaiifashions.com, a web-based cute t-shirt and apparel store run right out of Lake George!)

animeBecky21
07-28-2004, 03:44 AM
Given this has been about the coolest, wettest summer I can remember.. Did anyone consider renting a party room in a hotel or party house?

I'm familiar with the hobby shows and usually they're set up to come out ahead just on the table sales... people come in and rent the table for the day/weekend for anywhere from $15-$50 or more at large shows. Usually about half that covers table rental, too. From my estimates most of your smaller one day deals are a little more than the park rental, $300-$600, depending on how many tables they can fit in. I'd sell people tickets in advance to cover the rental. (I never go to a show where it costs more than $20 a table unless it's a big deal). So you'd have to plan on 20 people at $5 for every $100 the room rental costs - is 50 or 60 a stretch?

The only reason I suggest is, it solves the weather, bathroom, and electrical problems all in one shot. You'd have to shop around for some kind of deal, haven't been to the Albany area for any show to have an idea where the rental is cheaper. One bonus of a hotel though, if anyone wants to come from Rochester, Long Island or whatever you might be able to get deals on rooms so they could stay the night. Which, a half dozen or so rooms and you have a hotel party for those old enough to stay the night on their own, those fortunate enough to hook up, or whatnot.

if it's too late for this one, it might be a thought for over the winter or some other time down the road -

Heck, one show in Ithaca they rent an indoor soccer stadium for the weekend. It must cost them a good $1000 or so, you'd be talking convention material there too what with two indoor fields, but the point is there's all sorts of possibilities. Before that, it was held in a National Guard Armory(!) -

Thought I'd share.. can't help much, I'm hours down the road in Syracuse. Rochester is about an hour and a half from here, and you're talking about 2-2 1/2 from here to Albany, so more like 4 hours drive for Rochester to Albany is closer to it. You guys might find your park location through Yahoo Maps and post a link to that page on here somewhere -

Kairi G
07-28-2004, 07:45 AM
I still like Minikon, though i'm biased, Nyucon would work if Nyu! was a bit more organized group (that names has been tossed around for like 2 years now! :) why isn't the group official? Hey didn't I come up with NYU? >_>;; ) Maybe Nyucon would be best and it could be the first official event? So what is the official date? I just wish I wasn't too poor to have a new costume for it but i can always whip out my time tested Ken costume...

G3
i dont like adding con or kon to the end of the name, cuz its just a picnic, so i dont know, unfortunatly im not very creative with names so i dont really have ideas. but it just seems weird to me to imply con in the name.

also, renting out space in a hotel would be way way too expensive right now since we dont even know how many people we will h ave. but its an idea to keep in mind for future, especially if we do get something going anually.

kiwi_lady
07-28-2004, 09:36 AM
my friend and i were thinking about going to this
so can we know some info on this ;;?
like is there a fee or when it will be ...
and how many ppl are coming ?
thx ^^ ~

Mystic Blossom
07-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Given this has been about the coolest, wettest summer I can remember.. Did anyone consider renting a party room in a hotel or party house?

I'm familiar with the hobby shows and usually they're set up to come out ahead just on the table sales... people come in and rent the table for the day/weekend for anywhere from $15-$50 or more at large shows. Usually about half that covers table rental, too. From my estimates most of your smaller one day deals are a little more than the park rental, $300-$600, depending on how many tables they can fit in. I'd sell people tickets in advance to cover the rental. (I never go to a show where it costs more than $20 a table unless it's a big deal). So you'd have to plan on 20 people at $5 for every $100 the room rental costs - is 50 or 60 a stretch?

The only reason I suggest is, it solves the weather, bathroom, and electrical problems all in one shot. You'd have to shop around for some kind of deal, haven't been to the Albany area for any show to have an idea where the rental is cheaper. One bonus of a hotel though, if anyone wants to come from Rochester, Long Island or whatever you might be able to get deals on rooms so they could stay the night. Which, a half dozen or so rooms and you have a hotel party for those old enough to stay the night on their own, those fortunate enough to hook up, or whatnot.

if it's too late for this one, it might be a thought for over the winter or some other time down the road -

Heck, one show in Ithaca they rent an indoor soccer stadium for the weekend. It must cost them a good $1000 or so, you'd be talking convention material there too what with two indoor fields, but the point is there's all sorts of possibilities. Before that, it was held in a National Guard Armory(!) -

Thought I'd share.. can't help much, I'm hours down the road in Syracuse. Rochester is about an hour and a half from here, and you're talking about 2-2 1/2 from here to Albany, so more like 4 hours drive for Rochester to Albany is closer to it. You guys might find your park location through Yahoo Maps and post a link to that page on here somewhere -

We've already got a location and can't change it, plus, if it were inside, that would limit our photo opportunities.

And Kiwi, the current price for signing up ahead of time will probably be 5-6 dollars per person. It will be held on September 11th in the Karista pavillion at Saratoga State Park. We'll probably have 40-50 people, maybe more. You'll have to pay more if you don't sign up ahead of time.

chrono
07-28-2004, 09:45 PM
I know someone who works at Saratoga Spa State Park. I don't know if this is useful but...

Oh, and about the name... If con implications are bad... NYU! Cosplay Picnic ^_^ (yeah, i'm bad at making names -_-)

Mystic Blossom
07-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Hmm...how about NYU Fest.

Keep in mind, that NYU is usually the acronym for "New York University." "UNY" as in "Upstate New York," would be more appropriate, though it doesn't have the same ring, I suppose.

kiwi_lady
07-29-2004, 03:14 PM
We've already got a location and can't change it, plus, if it were inside, that would limit our photo opportunities.

And Kiwi, the current price for signing up ahead of time will probably be 5-6 dollars per person. It will be held on September 11th in the Karista pavillion at Saratoga State Park. We'll probably have 40-50 people, maybe more. You'll have to pay more if you don't sign up ahead of time.

umm where do we send our money and registration stuff?
thank u >.< ;;

Mystic Blossom
07-29-2004, 05:39 PM
We haven't decided that part yet. Keep checking back.

But Kiwi has a point, we REALLY need to start setting up a way for people to pay, and also decide how much it should be.

hailo
07-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Why don't we just keep a list of pre-registered people, then charge them less at the door? It would save us some hassle ne?

Also I'm thinking that NYU! Cosplay Picnic is a good name. On a side note, what time of day should we set this for? I'm guessing around 10 AM would probably be good. Remeber we can't run too late at night either. Sound good?

Mystic Blossom
07-30-2004, 10:56 PM
I know it's easier to do that, but the one really paying for this is my dad, who really thinks it's a good idea to take pay-pal registrations ahead of time (as many as possible), to guarentee that people are coming. I know, I know. It can be a hassle, but this is the only way to make sure he gets paid back. If not enough people come, the money will come from our own pockets.

Quantum9
07-31-2004, 01:08 AM
Well, I don't know how to use paypal, so would it be possible to pay you sometime beforehand? I have a lot of time before now and then, so could I just send some money your way?

Mystic Blossom
07-31-2004, 08:39 AM
What we need to do is try to figure out how to set it up first. I'm gonna be in Boston all of today and until tomorrow evening, but could someone, ANYONE, please try to look at how it works, how to set up an account, and how to send and receive money? If we can't figure it out, then we'll have to find a way to send checks, money orders, possibly even cash.

kiwi_lady
07-31-2004, 09:34 PM
i think check will work the best...
just a... suggestion ;;;;;

KuroBara
08-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Paypal = easy. I love it. All you need is an e-mail addy. You could probably make one up for the picnic like SaratogaCosPicnic@blahblahblah.com. Go to paypal.com and follow the instructions to set up a new account. Paypal only uses emails, no usernames, so then you tell people:

"Please paypal $__ to SaratogaCosPicnic@blahblahblah.com". Both the sender and receiver will get an e-mail receipt. It costs nothing to have an account, but if someone pays off a credit card they charge a small fee to accept the payment (it's a minimal percentage). If a person pays with a paypal balance or through their checking account its free. After you have the money in your paypal account you can spend it (if your dad wants to buy something off ebay or other sites that accept paypal), get it deposited in a checking account, get a paypal debit card to be used IRL, or have a check for the balance mailed to you. It's sooooo easy and convenient. My friends and I use it all the time to zip money back and forth.

*phew* Hope that helped! It'll most likely be the simplest way to do this.

Mystic Blossom
08-01-2004, 10:16 PM
It may be the simplest way, but if nothing if no one sets up an account. Can anyone do that? Insanity, can you put one up on the website?

Kairi G
08-01-2004, 11:19 PM
do you really think people will be willing to pay in advance........? and like how much more would we charge on teh day of. remember its just a picnic and so more than $5 is getting a little ridiculous . i do know that we have to pay your dad back tho, im just being realistic, people arent gonna wanna pay much more than that, especially since its potluck and we arent providing foodishness.

Quantum9
08-02-2004, 12:36 AM
To be honest, I would not mind paying more than $5. It's $6 to park anyway....

Mystic Blossom
08-02-2004, 08:37 AM
$5 is indeed realistic. Do we wanna charge more if they don't pay ahead of time? If we do that, we have to make the difference between the two prices big enough so people will be more tempted to save money and pay ahead of time.

KuroBara
08-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Ok...this is just my suggestion:
Do we want the pre-paying to cover the $100? From the interest on this thread it seems like it would be no prob to get 20 people to prepay $5. But, if 20 more people show up day of and pay more at the door...there's a big profit ($100+). I don't mind paying $5, but at the same time no one should be making a lot of $ off of this which it sounds like will happen.

So...maybe prepay $3 and charge $5 at the door? It's risky because the deposit may not be covered until the day of the picnic, but we'll have made a big dent with prepayment. Still, if 34 people pre-pay $3 it'll still be covered. Ummm...is this making sense? If it's potluck we really shouldn't be charging a lot.

MysticBlossom- you should be the one to set up the paypal account so that you'll be the one to access the money. Otherwise someone else would have to get that money from paypal to you, but it'll be faster if you're the recipient. You could even deposit it directly into your dad's checking account.

Mystic Blossom
08-02-2004, 06:22 PM
I'll try to set it up ASAP. But we only have to pay him $75, not $100, luckily. ^^;;

hailo
08-02-2004, 06:34 PM
What do you mean it's potluck? And I think that we are getting a little carried away with all the pre-registration stuff. I certanly can't do it, and I don't know anyone who does use Pay-pal. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I just think we may be getting out of our league. I know Mystic's dad needs to be repaid, but can he wait a little while to get it? This whole thing is begging to feel rushed to me. No offense to anyone, but it just is starting to feel a little to convention-y.

Mystic Blossom
08-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Yes, I know, but the thing is, my dad told me he needs to know that he'll get the money back. He can't take everyone's word that they'll be there. It's just not the kind of person he is.

Kairi G
08-02-2004, 10:34 PM
i agree with hailo, like i strongly agree, and also we need to keep in mind that there will be other expenses too, but to make people pre pay annoys me, and i dont think people will and its too much of a hassle to do. if its really that big a problem, those of us here on the thread could just go ahead and pay him i just dont think people are gonna want to pre pay. wat if we had some way of signing up, without paying. then we would know who was coming and then know how much we would have to charge and it would be a way to guarentee that we would get the money to him, but with out pissing people off and possibly deterring them from coming. so basically, im for creating some sort of sign up list, but not for prepaying.
argh........... keep in mind people that you gotta have a paypal account and a credit card to use it, and a lot of these people are prolly under 18 and may not beable to do it.

also, has anyone done a new flyer yet? if not, send me a pic, and ill make one up, we gotta start advertising this more.

Quantum9
08-03-2004, 12:58 AM
I can go around downtown Saratoga and put up flyers before work one day. I'm sure Allison (Insanity) can put some up around Wilton Mall as well. Other people can put some up in other places.

Mystic Blossom
08-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Alright, but we should think of a way to have people sign up ahead of time, and only let them sign up if they're sure they can make it. How much will we charge them for coming?

Kairi G
08-03-2004, 09:50 AM
tahts wat we should decide after we see how many people are going to come i think $5 will prolly be enough.

is there anything we could put on the website thinger to make it possible for people to signup? or we could have someone keep an email list. id be willing to do that if its needed. pretty much we would just have people email someone to say they are coming, and that person could keep track of the email addresses, and that would be how we could tell if they signed up ahead of time. and then we could still charge a bit more the day of the picnic.

does this sound good? id be willing to do it. or i could maybe even make a new address for it alone. i have aol so i could just add the sn.

Hailo said she would get the picture to me sometime today, so ill make the flyer up and post it so people can start putting em around town.

also, i started sending an announcement out to Cosplaylab members. i got about halfway through the list of 150 people so ill finish it up later today

where has Insanity been? she is missing!!!!!!! nnnnnoooooooooo!!!!!! the website needs a fix, it says Orenda pavillion and we ended up getting Karista.

katabulous
08-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Hello There!

I saw the link to this thread on someone's signature, and I'd just love to come.
Eventhough... I'll have probably moved from Poughkeepsie by then. XD

Does anyone know of any cosplay gatherings in NYC?
PM me if you wish. ^^

Mystic Blossom
08-03-2004, 11:18 AM
If you could do that, that would be great, but people need to know that they should only sign up if they know they can come and they know they can pay both the parking fee and the picnic fee. Plus, we should have a system of what kind of food to bring so everyone doesn't bring the same thing, like people whose last names start with A-I could bring a drink of some sort, J-R could bring a main course, etc.

Quantum9
08-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Allison (Insanity) has been uber, uber busy with work (like I have been) since the track opened. I'll send an email to her so she can get the word. I just saw her yesterday actually.

Pyrobaka
08-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Like holy crap. I'm totally going.

yummy
08-03-2004, 08:23 PM
i gots an idear guys, why dont you keep that list of kairis and make some kind of ticket that you print out and bring to say that you've "pre-registered" and get the discounted rate. i'd be happy to make one up and give to kairi to email. i know money is tight for this right now, but patience is a virtue.

and thats coming from an angry PMSing teenager.

i can't really get any more involved than making tickets b/c of work and field hockey, but i'll offer advice.

Mystic Blossom
08-03-2004, 08:27 PM
That sounds cool, Yummy. What does everyone else think? Why don't we make it $5 with ticket and like, $7 without (we have to make the difference big enough to encourage people to preregister). The tickets should also be personalized and have some way of making sure they're authentic and one-of-a-kind, so they can't be duplicated, not that I don't trust people.

KuroBara
08-03-2004, 10:40 PM
A pre-reg list sounds good, that way it'll be easier to figure out what to charge. There should definitely be a system for who's bringing food- I vote for first come first serve. When it gets closer to picnic time we could make a separate thread (for simplicity's sake) just for food. People could reply with "I'm bringing a bottle of soda", etc. That way everyone can see what's being brought and what is still needed.

chrono
08-04-2004, 01:20 AM
I like Kurobara's idea about the food thread. One of us will be able to monitor it and later in the thread encourage what kind of food people should try to bring.

Seeing as how it seems that Allison has been too swamped to work on the website, shall I take over? So far I've mirrored her site, and am ready to make any changes necessary: http://ashitaka.myvnc.com/cosplay/ My URL isn't as nice, obviously.

But yeah, I would be interested in taking a look at the flyer and hosting it for us to look at before we finalize it. I would also be willing to be an email contact to keep track of pre-regs. For a small event like this, just going by people's word is good enough. Genericon got away with that system until last year and they had 600 people!

Kairi G
08-04-2004, 09:00 AM
the site needs to be changed so it doesnt say orenda pavillion!

ok so should i go ahead and make an address for people to send pre-reg to? Ill have to check with my parents first, but im sure it will be ok.

and unfortunatly i forgot to get the pic from hailo......stupid me, so ill have to bug her about that.

ok so what is everyones opinion about naming this thing? if im gonna make the flyer, we should decide on something. I vote to keep it a pretty simple name so people know wat it is we are doing.

about the food thread......do you think admin would get annoyed if we opened a new thread still concerning this picnic? maybe we could appoint someone that people could pm to let them know bout food.

also, i finished sending announcements out using the cosplaylab pinpoint listing. so that is 150 some people that have been invited. i just went ahead and sent the announcement to everyone in NY, who knows some of those who live farther away may be willing to travel.

Mystic Blossom
08-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Upstate NY Cosplay Picnic? NYU Fest?

inSaniTy
08-04-2004, 01:17 PM
Sorry for the long update, I've been swamped with work x__X

But I have updated the site (FINALLY!). Keep in mind that Karista has a 75-100 person capacity. I just talked to Mystic about that, and although I don't think it'll be a huge problem, we can have a waiting list if need be.

I happen to like NYU! Fest ^^; Perhaps we could have a little neko or something. I'll try and check back in tonight after work.

yummy
08-04-2004, 01:56 PM
guys how about something silly like Summer's End Cosplay Picnic. we can just forget about NYU and all of that stuff until a later date when things are more organized.

heres the ticket, the blank space will be the where the name goes IN MY HANDWRITING so nobody can copy/reproduce or otherwise manipulate it.

and feel free to use the image for the flyer, thats why i did it in grey tones.

EDIT
good catch kurobara, I passed 11th grade english, really!

Leon_Redfield
08-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Ehy! I might be coming. I dunno though. didn't ask my mom yet. Maybe...hopefully XD

KuroBara
08-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Yummy- it's so cute! (BTW it's "you're" not "your") Yeah, I like naming it something generic. We don't need anything official since a club is not sponsoring this.

hailo
08-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Mmmm progress. Smell that semi-organized smell. Ok Now we are getting somewhere. Any-ways about that picture. I can't scan it tonight cause I need to restart my compy to work my scanner and I'm lazy. XD. But I drew a little picture of a girl looking up at you holding a picnic basket. Sound good to everyone? Let me know if it needs changing.

hailo
08-04-2004, 08:21 PM
POST SCRIPT!

I'm too lazy to edit my other post. Sorry guys. I did a little advertaising at Otakon this year. (by word of mouth of course). And I've got some people interested. I just thought I should say something.... I'm done now.

Mystic Blossom
08-05-2004, 08:46 AM
It looks great, Yummy. I think it's a great way to preregister people. A good alternative, since we can't do Pay Pal. Hailo, the picnic basket girl thing sounds just dandy. Post it up.

Kairi G
08-05-2004, 10:28 AM
ok im gonna set up the email, dad said i could. ill post the address in a bit. also, i like the ticket, so would we email it too them after they register?

also i was thinking we could send all the food stuff to the address that i make.

im thinking for name, we should just go with the Upstate NY Cosplay Picnic, because that explains everything right there in the name.