PDA

View Full Version : Suikoden 3

Morrissey
12-02-2002, 02:51 AM
Anyone pass it yet? I just beat it with Geddoe and unlocked Luc's chapter. Best RPG I've played in a long time, probably since Suikoden 2.

Celine
12-02-2002, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I finished it about two weeks ago. As a game, it's pretty good, but I was disappointed by it because I really have high expectations for Suikoden. I've got so many gripes with Suikoden 3... but it really didn't start having major issues with it until chapter 4, where the plot went severely downhill. And, unlike the other two games, there really weren't that many characters I really liked.

Luc's chapter was... intriguing, but too short. I couldn't sympathize with him and didn't really care about what happened to him in the end.

All in all, not a bad game, but I liked Kingdom Hearts a lot better.

Rosiel
12-02-2002, 10:37 AM
I finished it too. And I will concur that Luc's chapter WAS too short, had they let us walk from scene to scene I would have gleaned another 4-5 hours of gametime enjoying cutting down monsters with Yuber.

And I'm annoyed at the lack of continuity in some aspects too... what happened to Yuber's True Eight-Fold Rune? >__> There are too many unanswered questions, also, and each answer brings 10 new questions to the fore...

All in all I have to say that although it had a few annoying problems, I loved Suiko3 and I was touched by the ending, although not as much as I could have if I had seen more of the characters. Still one of my favorite RPGs of all time, as it's a Suikoden, and well, I got to be reunited with characters I loved... but not nearly as good as the first two installments.

Morrissey
12-06-2002, 07:04 PM
Favorite characters? Mine include:

Viktor
Flik
Pahn
Mukumuku
Nanami
Shin
Zamza
Georg Prime
Futch (3)
Kage
Geddoe
Ace
Edge
Emily
Percival

and....Millich ! Not really.............

Celine
12-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Milich rocked! ^_^ He had a see-through body suit in his closet... heheheh!! The narcissists are all awesome, and I was disappointed that Augustine was the only one in Suik3.

Characters I love include: Futch, Flik, Shu, Jess, Gremio, Percy, Camus, Thomas, Tengaar... actually, I like lots of the characters, just mostly from the first two games...

Rey-Rey
12-06-2002, 08:06 PM
I've only played through the first two.

Tengaar is hot in the second one. >=D

Woof. >=D

But my favorites DO include Pahn, Flik, Clive, and Humphrey. =D

Lil Dreamer
12-06-2002, 08:10 PM
Kasumi... oh dear Kasumi... the Soul Eater Rune must've stolen Tir Mcdohl's libido too....

heh heh... and Wakaba and Long Chan Chan are the masters of the series.

Nipple. :)

Sami
12-06-2002, 09:17 PM
I had better get this game for Christmas, or I'll go on a rampage!

I like Miklotov, Flik, Viktor, Seed, Culgan, JHEE!!! :D, Apple, Lucia.. uhm.. hey, I can't think of them all at once, there's so many! :P

KaineMaxwell
12-06-2002, 09:22 PM
You may even learn something playing this...

Studmaster
12-07-2002, 01:55 AM
Since we're on Libido stealing.....Lets talk about Riou and Elile, and how the Bright Shield basically doomed him to virginity.

If I made Suikoden Anime, I would exploit this couple in a heartbeat.

Morrissey
12-07-2002, 02:20 AM
Celine: Jess? That jerk put in motion Jowy betraying Riou and killing Anabelle! He needed his ass kicked! Also, Gremio was a bit fruity. I wouldn't want a grown man following me around calling me "young master".

Rosiel
12-07-2002, 03:28 AM
> Lets talk about Riou and Elile, and how the Bright Shield basically doomed him to virginity.

I just thought he was young and had a /lot/ of other problems to deal with. X__X Like say keeping himself and his country in one piece. LOL.

Morrissey
12-07-2002, 03:37 AM
Since Riou only has half a true rune then he isn't immortal. Just ages slowly. So in a few years he should be hitting it up with......Nanami! She's not his real sister and she probably grew up to be quite hot!

Celine
12-07-2002, 03:53 AM
>Celine: Jess? That jerk put in motion Jowy betraying Riou and killing Anabelle! He needed his ass kicked! Also, Gremio was a bit fruity. I wouldn't want a grown man following me around calling me "young master".

I am one of only two Jess fans in existence. I know the other- she put up a whole little shrine to him a few years ago. XD But, anyway, despite being an irritating and greedy little bastard, Jess is one of the most human characters in the entire Suikoden series. I sympathize with him because he was more realistic. The only thing I didn't like was when he resigned to FITCHER. Just... Fitcher! Ugh! What was he thinking???

Gremio was like McDohl's mom, in many ways. I thought he was precious, and his death is one of the saddest things ever, in any RPG. Made me cry the first time... ^^

>Lets talk about Riou and Elile,

Psh, Eilie had a crush on him, but JOWY had a bigger crush on him.

Morrissey
12-07-2002, 03:57 AM
Please don't mention Yaoi and Suikoden. Please......

khamryn
12-07-2002, 04:06 AM
>Psh, Eilie had a crush on him, but JOWY had a bigger crush on him.

:x

::Agrees, shushes::

I also agree Riou had bigger fish to fry. ^^;

Studmaster
12-07-2002, 10:26 AM
Rosiel: Once again, excellent point. Now that you put it that way, it's almost understandble why he couldn't see Elile as a future lover and wife. It's just too bad that it was so obivious and it was a slight disappointment when they didn't get together in some form in Suikoden II. On the positive side, at least they gave him a female who could be a possible mate in the future, and made it a bit more obivious. Kasumi and Tir was a little too comedic the way it was presented, IMO.

As for Nanami, I don't think she would've seen him as anymore than a little brother. The two are just perfect as brother and sister, that it would seem weird to see them lock up in the horizontal tango. Her and Jowy have more of a chance of hooking up from the way the story was presented.

As for Jowy and Riou. I like Jowy/Nanami and Riou/Elile better. ^_^;

Rosiel
12-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Somehow the main character's "love stories", or hints at possibilities thereof, never really struck a cord with me until Suikoden 3, which left me with a bitter taste of disappointment at the fact that Chris so perfectly ignored the people around her who loved her so desperately. (I really liked Borus in that respect, and wished she would have at least acknowledged his feelings, even if it was to run away with Nash whom I still refuse to believe is really married.)

But I always thought it was ironic that the most amazing, touching, /real/, relationship of the Suikoden series is that one that you almost never see on its own, but only through the eyes of the one who, against his wishes, was left behind. Flik/Odessa, to me, what the most poignant, most human, most resonating love in the Suikoden world.

As for Jowy (I do not like Jowy, mainly due to my love for Highland and the men he betrayed due to his cowardice), when it comes to relationships, I am Jowy/Jillia all the way.

(Favorite characters: FLIK! Luc, Odessa, Nash, the twin knights in all the games, Yuber, Seed)

Studmaster
12-07-2002, 01:12 PM
I have yet to play Suikoden 3, so I really can't voice an opinion on Chris yet, but the Riou/Elile coupling was one of my guilty pleasures of Suikoden 2. It felt like the two were in total sync with each other (not to metion they kicked ass in the same party), and also it was touching that while Riou was put into a position he was obiviously not ready for in leading the Duran Nation, she was the one besides Nanami that cared for him the most as a person. Seeing as how it was either one othe two that were at his bedside or near him when something big was going to happen. It was also fun to see that while Elile tried to avoid it with her words, her actions were obivious. It proves the old addage of "Your actions speak for who you love", and if you really want to look at it that way, they were two young adults who could do everything but say the words "I love you." If Riou was put into the same position as being a King like Jowy, she would've made the Perfect Queen for him.

As for Jowy, I have to agree to disagree on the state of Highland. Personally the kingdom failed because the wrong people were in charge of it. Agraes was foolish enough to put his Psychopath Sub-Human of a son (I hate Luca with a passion) as the commander in Chief of the army instead of Kiba, and we know how that all went. I have very little sympathy for the way he died and have negative Sympathy (I'm putting Luca's death on tape this time) for how Luca got taken out. Jowy just did to them what they were doing to everyone else. Now Jowy isn't high on my list of good people in Suikoden 2, but he's so much better than Luca, that it hurts.

As for Jowy/Jilila, the couple was a great one, of course, but if Jowy is to redeem himself, he has to leave her behind as he has to leave the Blight name behind as well. So by elimination, they can never be if Jowy wants to live. The definition of a tragic love.

As for Flik/Odessa, I agree. Filk really did love her, and it shows in his actions and the way he acts around other woman. However, I think that Odessa would want him to be happy in this life as well, and that she would wish him to find another to spend his life with. Even if it is with *PoorGuy*Nina*PoorGuy*.

(Please don't kill me for the last paragraph)

Sami
12-07-2002, 01:44 PM
> Since Riou only has half a true rune then he isn't immortal. Just ages slowly. So in a few years he should be hitting it up with......Nanami! She's not his real sister and she probably grew up to be quite hot!

LOL, I read a fanfic on that once.. it was very very strange. X_X Even though they're not related, just the way she calls herself "Big Sis" all the time.. eek!

> Psh, Eilie had a crush on him, but JOWY had a bigger crush on him.

WOOHOO! *high-fives* ^_^

Morrissey
12-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Nash is married. He's married to Sierra. One of the newspaper postings in Budehuc castle states that at night Sierra comes and stays with Nash. Also putting into account their love/hate relationship back in the Suikogaiden stories it would make allot of sense. Chris should've ended up with Percival. Percival was a pimp.

Trunks61
12-12-2002, 08:33 PM
thanks everyone. I you should have labeled this *spoilers*.... I thought it might just be pics or something...

Adella
12-15-2002, 04:23 PM
Is anyone else obsessed with the Suikoden III opening song like me? Just had to ask ^_^; I can't wait to cosplay Chris!! She's my HERO!

Morrissey
12-15-2002, 06:14 PM
Dreamer comes over my pad and sings it all the time....badly too!