PDA

View Full Version : Black Makeup- Suggestions?

Elemental
07-02-2004, 01:00 AM
My next costume is Dark Link from the Legend of Zelda games, and I planned on having some fun with black makeup around the eyes. I'm planning on painting a mask type...thing.... around my eyes to the sides of my face. My only problem is- I have NO idea what to do it with. Eyeliner is too expensive really, for THAT much coverage. Eyeshadow isn't opaque enough, and greasepaints smudge.

I'm currently clueless as to what I can do. I've heard people mention using a powder over greasepaints to keep it from smudging- but what kind of powder? And how does it make the paint 'set?'

ANY and all help/suggestions/tips would be VERY appreciated. I really want this to look good.
Gracias! :)
~Amanda

Claire
07-02-2004, 01:40 AM
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=36189

^ That's a thread about good black eyeshadow, although I don't know how much of it will help. I know Ben Nye (I know, I know, I pimp BN quite a bit, but damnit, the stuff works) sells colored makeup that has a thick paint-like quality that is used specifically for covering large areas of skin, you might want to check it out.

I'd hold off on the greasepaint - it's gross, can clog your pores to all hell, and gets all over your stuff.

Elemental
07-02-2004, 02:19 AM
Eyeshadow (from what I've looked at, Anabelle, Mac and... I honestly can't remember the other brands) just doesn't have the opaque paint-like colour I need. However, I've heard BN mentioned for costuming a many time before (I'm new to the boards, so all your pimping is welcome). I know Malabar sells it downtown- I shall check it out sometime next week.
Thanks- that's at least ONE option I can look into- as opposed to original plan of liquid eyeliner...3 bottles of the stuff....
^^
I love your cool banner. The colours man, the colours.....

kitsunered
07-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Definitely go with Ben Nye. I play a LARP where there are Dark Elf Characters and almost all of them use Ben Nye makeup. Some of them also set the makeup with charcoal powder, which can also be found at the same costume supply stores that sell Ben Nye. I actually prefer the creme-based black to the water-based, but that may just be because I have very dry skin. My boyfriend, who has oily skin, uses the water-based and swears by it.

Hope this helps.

-K

Explicit Lyrics
07-02-2004, 02:35 PM
would Ben Nye Be good for Jrock like Mana (malice mizer)and Kyo of dir en grey? because they use so much..balck around their eyes any suggestions on which type of ben nye Product to buy? and for the blackest black?

Elemental
07-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Thank you! I shall look at the Ben Nye available at my costume store, and see if they have the charcoal powder as well. ^^ Much obliged!