PDA

View Full Version : It Has Happened

Cassandra
12-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Last night, my husband was playing Metroid Prime on the Gamecube. And....

THE GAMECUBE CRASHED.

The reset button wouldn't even work. He had to turn the GC off and turn it back on again.

*pokes her Gamecube* No crashing when I'm playing Animal Crossing, you hear me?!?!

Pool Cue Ronin
12-02-2002, 10:44 AM
This is the 3rd or 4th time I heard about Metroid Prime crashing. It's not so bad, but I'll wait to buy a GC until I hear they release a better version.

psythe
12-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Gah. I've crashed my PS2 as well. I thought consoles were not supposed to act like my PC :thumbsup:

Celine
12-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Sorry to hear about that... so far, our GC hasn't had any problems. Even when my roommate decides to play Mario for ten hours straight (he is a sick, sick man). My PS2 hasn't crashed yet either. Oh well, nothing will ever be as crappy as the Sega CD. That piece of junk was always dying on me. ^_^

Studmaster
12-02-2002, 10:54 AM
My Playstation 1 is dying on me every minute. It takes 5 times to start DDR now and days.

And I've heard of Metroid Prime crashing. And it really isn't the Hardwares fault, it's a batch of nasty faulty Discs if my sources are correct.

PCR: You may not get that chance. I don't think Nintedo is going to have a massive, costly recall for their biggest release of the year. You're better off trying your luck until it works.

katchoo
12-02-2002, 10:55 AM
Our metriod has also crashed a few times. Has anyone called into to the developers about getting a new disk?

Cassandra
12-02-2002, 10:58 AM
On the plus side, this is the first time the game has crashed. He played for like 8 hours straight....so it wasn't too horribly bad.

But we've never had our PS2 crash. I think the xbox crashed on SSX Tricky or something, but it was so long ago that I forgot.

Chosuke
12-02-2002, 10:58 AM
My friends X-box crashes like mad.. it takes at least six times to try and load some games.. of course he blames it on the NEW CLEAN SHINY disks.

Oh well,microsoft for ya.

Studmaster
12-02-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Chobrat
My friends X-box crashes like mad.. it takes at least six times to try and load some games.. of course he blames it on the NEW CLEAN SHINY disks.

Oh well,microsoft for ya.

Your friend should get his X-Box replaced, seriously.

Cassandra
12-02-2002, 11:43 AM
*agrees with Studmaster*
That's definitely something wrong with that console. My xbox gets used a lot and it almost never crashes. It's my main DVD player plus we play games on it.

Babbit_Chan
12-02-2002, 01:01 PM
My brother's GameCube crashed twice while he was playing Pikmin and we actually had to send it in and get a brand new one. Awww Cassandra, I'm so sorry it crashed while you were playing Animal Crossing ;_; Did you buy a tree yet? XD

Cassandra
12-02-2002, 01:49 PM
I haven't had it crash while playing Animal Crossing (yet, anyway). I was just warning the console to behave or I'll have to throw it out the window :D

I haven't bought a tree yet. I'm still working on finishing my space theme....and debating whether or not I want to move my finished harvest theme room to the first floor and my unfinished space theme to the second floor. Oh, decisions decisions!!

nails
12-02-2002, 02:17 PM
I've crashed every system in one way or another. Gran Turismo 3 even locked up once when I was trying to pull off this 50 yard 4 wheel drift!

3-D
12-02-2002, 02:19 PM
Actually I haven't had a bit of trouble from my friend's xbox. Ran into some crashiness on PSO on the Dreamcast (the feared BSOD). I've done game testing before while working at a games company though, and guys the simple fact is publishers place much much more emphasis on shipping the game on time than on shipping a flawless game. A lot of bugs ship with EVERY game released just because the publisher doesn't see it as a good return on their money to hunt down and eliminate EVERY bug.

On consoles, it's almost certainly software causing a crash except MAYBE if you get first release hardware that hasn't had all the bugs shaken out. The later stuff is usually rock steady.

Cassandra
12-02-2002, 02:39 PM
*nod* And now that consoles are online, we'll probably end up with "Buy the game, download the patch!" syndrome. Once you get the game home and open it, there's already a patch up for you.

Tifa
12-02-2002, 07:01 PM
Wow, I've never had any of my game systems crash.. I don't think my friends have, either..

Celine
12-02-2002, 11:25 PM
Okay, so it happened to my roommate just now (right after solving some water puzzle). Yay Metroid. ^^ Anyone know if there's a particular part of the game which is more prone to crashing, or if it can be caused by something else, like leaving the system on for an amount of time without pressing any buttons. I'm just curious... but my roommate sure is funny when he's angry... ^_^;;;

Bell-chan
12-02-2002, 11:43 PM
I was playing Final Fantasy 8 on my PSOne....and I finally beat the final boss...working onto the ending....then it froze T_T. I was so upset! (Of course....I could have just done it over again, but I don't think I saved right before it...) But...I waited long enough to open it and close it, and it worked again >_< I'm not sure what happened, but I'm glad it finally worked. What if it happens again...? *Dun dun dun..* T_T

Cassandra
12-03-2002, 08:59 AM
Hmm...I'm not sure where Metroid froze for my husband. I wasn't really paying attention. But I can guarantee that it's not leaving the system on without pressing buttons because we do that frequently.

(Put the controller down, go eat dinner, play with kid, change kid, put kid to bed, pick up controller again....)

Studmaster
12-04-2002, 09:22 AM
Celine, was he in the Chozo Rune Area?

Celine
12-04-2002, 11:26 AM
>was he in the Chozo Rune Area?

Hmm... maybe, actually. I'll ask him when he gets up (lazy bum :P).

Off-topic, but... the Metroid music is sooo exciting! It's the same as in Super Metroid! It's so great! And the sound effects... gaaaah! ^_^

makio
12-05-2002, 11:43 AM
I was told there's a loading glitch in Metroid Prime between scenes where Samus rides elevators to other areas. I haven't tried it myself, though it's minor...and you'd have to deliberately attempt to crash it. As for the original problem where the entire system crashed - I'd expect that from an X-Box. XD

Cassandra
12-05-2002, 11:51 AM
OK...my husband was in one of the corridors (with all the parasites) in the Ruins when the GC crashed. There have been no problems with the elevator scenes. (And lord knows my daughter loves to keep Samus going up and down them....she giggles and pushes the button and Samus go down the hole...)

And once again, I'll state that my Xbox has never crashed like that. Even in that SSX Tricky crash, we just hit reset and it worked. Reset didn't work with the Gamecube.

pakachu420
12-05-2002, 01:26 PM
i dunno about gamecube or x-box but i heard that a bunch of the early ps2's had some kinda bug or something that made them all crash a year or too later. with the exception of a few hundred or so wo seem to be pretty much bullet-proof.(prays that paka's ps2 is bulletproof)

lol
elilator go UP!!
elilator go doooown!
elilator go UP!!
elillator go doooown!
(reminds me of Tiny Toons)

3-D
12-05-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by pakachu420
i dunno about gamecube or x-box but i heard that a bunch of the early ps2's had some kinda bug or something that made them all crash a year or too later. with the exception of a few hundred or so wo seem to be pretty much bullet-proof.(prays that paka's ps2 is bulletproof)
Yeah, first run had a LOT of heat problems and would delete the DVD player drivers for no reason. One more reason I refused to just hope on the PS2 bandwagon. It was very obvious they rushed it out the door in a desperate bid to piss on Sega's fire. It worked anyway though. *sigh* All hail the magical power of an 800 lb gorilla with a virtual monopoly. *hugs his poor little Dreamcast*

Celine
12-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Studmaster
Celine, was he in the Chozo Rune Area?

He says: "Yes. After the thermal energy core."

...this means, of course, nothing to me. Is this a particularly problematic area?

Studmaster
12-05-2002, 05:24 PM
That's it then. It's like all the other cases that froze, between that and the Elevator glitch it's where most of the problems are.

DJ(SiC)ness
12-05-2002, 08:11 PM
hmm maybe microsoft got to some PS2's and GC and loaded windows on them...thou all the crashing

lol

that makes no sense

MugenH
12-06-2002, 05:48 AM
I just crashed Vice City, when racing the stock car ... after too long at top speed, you outrun the map, and the game just freezes. So crash the car once in a while, or you'll crash the game. ^__-

I haven't gotten that far in Metroid yet; I'll save early and often. Thanks for the tip!

Toodle-Pip
Mugen

SleepingKirby
12-06-2002, 01:06 PM
I've never had any of my gaming systems crash unless it was my fault (for those that don't know, I'm majoring into game cheating and hacking.) The only exception is DDR. I was stomping the floor too hard and made the PS2 go "urpy" I was just beginning at the time... :D