PDA

View Full Version : Masqurade anyone?

Aleathia Burns
07-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Hey fellow cosplayers YunaBrat here and I was just wondering if any of you "Dragonians" will be in the masqurade this year. If you are what are you planning on wearing and what theme? That's all and dont let out to many spoilers cuz I love surprises and I can't wait to see some of you guys dazzle the audiance with your perfomances. I plan on doing a Final Fantasy X theme noting special though, just something plain and simple.However I would love to see more anime this year!!! :jjacks: :chatah:

Hikaruchan
07-03-2004, 10:09 PM
I don't have anything planned for the main masq this year. I was hoping a group would get together from here like was mentioned a few times, but nothing came from that so far.

Xel
07-07-2004, 03:20 PM
In all the times I have been to dragon con i have never been to the masquerade though I plan to this year

Any of you been before?

Experiences? Reccomendations? Advice? Warnings? Comments? Good Shrimp recipes?

Hikaruchan
07-07-2004, 09:35 PM
I've just been in it once, and watched it once. No live mics, pre-record if you need sound.

kelldar
07-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Ash and I are definitely going to do something for it again this year, but what it is, we want to keep it secret! lol, at least it isn't star wars again this year :D

Aleathia Burns
07-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Ash and I are definitely going to do something for it again this year, but what it is, we want to keep it secret! lol, at least it isn't star wars again this year :D

Yes keep it secret cuz I can't wait to see what you guys are gonna do this year!!!! :jjacks: :love: :bigtu:

The_Balrog
07-12-2004, 02:11 PM
I want to but I need a Gandalf!! ANyone interested?

Xel
07-12-2004, 02:14 PM
I just talked to someone who claimed to be going as Gandalf.. I'll send them your way perhaps

The_Balrog
07-12-2004, 02:16 PM
THank you!! I hope they don't mind being..um well I'll have to tell him. Thanks again.

Balrog VS Gandalf=......???.......

Xel
07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
THank you!! I hope they don't mind being..um well I'll have to tell him. Thanks again.

Balrog VS Gandalf=......???.......

I hope they don't mind being.....

oooooo fun game! let's see...

I hope they don't mind being....
naked?
stormtrooper gandalf?
covered in jello?
completely tied up by lilliputians?
eated by bettelguisian sandworms?
goth gandalf?
really really really gay Gaydalf?
filled with delicious pudding?
mexican?
tossed off the top of the hyatt in a recreation of "the" scene?
tarred and feathered?
drawn and quartered?
the next american idol?
stuck at mcdonald's for the last three years, still not assisntant manager, but unable to leave due to undisclosed medical and or obscene mayonaise related circumstances?

I give up. I'll let him know..and if not.. maybe I will be gandalf. (barring the whole mcDs mayo -thing, as I have no idea what thats all aboot)

The_Balrog
07-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Gandalf needs to resmeble Gandalf (lots of detail). Must remember the line "You shall not pass!" I need some help with the presentation of the skit. Gandalf needed for codename VS (Victoria Secret) Balrog. I will let your imagination wander with that info. Now this all depends on my director who may schedule me to work the same time as the Masq. :( I hope I can convince him to let me have the time off)

Xel
07-12-2004, 04:15 PM
cool!
oh, "magic wand" jokes, how I love thee.
Ah

wuzzled
08-03-2004, 02:51 PM
I've been thinking about doing it, but I haven't even been, so I'm not sure what to expect. Would it be inadequate to not have a skit?

Aleathia Burns
08-03-2004, 04:21 PM
I've been thinking about doing it, but I haven't even been, so I'm not sure what to expect. Would it be inadequate to not have a skit?
Sure. If you do not have any material you can just go out on stage and model your costume and show off your great work. And if you want you can even get into character and do a dance it really does not matter as long as you are having fun. :jjacks:

Ravien
08-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Make sure you sign up early! My group didn't get to perform because the form wasn't turned in on time. (We were the Endless group last year...the guys on the balcony gave us 9-10s :P)

I'm not doing the Masquerade this year. I figure one contest is enough ;) You guys should find out if the anime track is doing a seperate anime costume contest again this year. Alot of the tracks have their own thing going on like the Star Wars costume contest and the Klingon Beauty Pagent.

bgulizia
08-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Gandalf needs to resmeble Gandalf (lots of detail). Must remember the line "You shall not pass!" I need some help with the presentation of the skit. Gandalf needed for codename VS (Victoria Secret) Balrog. I will let your imagination wander with that info. Now this all depends on my director who may schedule me to work the same time as the Masq. :( I hope I can convince him to let me have the time off)

Sorry balrog, wish I could go. Here is me as gandalf at otakon 2004:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=180579&sort=2&cat=9226&page=86

I'll be just getting back from utah on the 1st, and NJ -> GA is a long drive ;_;

-bg

Daitenshi
08-07-2004, 06:11 PM
I'd like to enter, but at this point I'm not even sure that I can go. ;o;

Actually, I have a question to those that have entered before:
I want to enter my Necromancer as a walk-on. It's won at Anime Expo's PopShock Masquerade (which I don't think of as an actual contest, all things considered)... will that prevent me from being allowed to enter at D*C? I just want to see how my design stands up to a Sci-fi con's judging. ^^;

Aleathia Burns
08-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Sure you can enter it!!!! :jjacks: Be sure you put down what category you are entering that's all. Check out the website and go to the maqurade contest section and it should answers some questions or e-mail the person who is in charge as well. :bigtu:

nebbie
08-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Through reading several things on several cosplay forums about D*C's masq, I think something has to be said?

D*C's masq is more about presentation than costume construction. A walk-on stands less of a chance of winning than a skit does (they're all judged together for awards), I think. Your costume isn't going to be inspected up close or asked about what materials you used for it. It's all about how impressive it looks from the stage.

I just remember reading about people's experience at...what was it, AX this year, about the cosplay contest, and how their costumes weren't judged properly because the construction wasn't examined, only the big flashy costumes were chosen, etc etc. This is how D*C is, I guess you could say. If people expect what they would expect from a cosplay contest, they will be disappointed. D*C's masq is primarily about presentation and flash-factor (in my opinion).

Ragresen
08-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Actually Dragon Con's Masq uses a set of rules that are laided down and accepted by several Cons out there. SDCC is another that follows those same rules. But I can tell you that flash definatly plays a big part at dragon con, but then again the level of the costumes entered is pretty high normally.

nebbie
08-08-2004, 08:05 AM
About construction? Is that what you mean? Cause I didn't see anyone inspect a single person's costume when I was in it last year.

Or do you mean organization-wise, with the "den mother" stuff and all?

Ragresen
08-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Well I have never been in a DragonCon masq, Well actually I could say I was as I was among the 501st group that lead it off the last 2 years. But I am just saying what others have told me. So Ia m not sure on Construction.

kelldar
08-08-2004, 07:05 PM
I've been in it the past 2 years and there's never been construction/craftsmenship judging, which I find really strange (since every other costume contest I've ever been in, whether it was anime or sf&f, whether it was a little local con or SDCC, has had *someone* who at least looks over your costume before you go on stage.) So yeah, you're completely judged by what they see on stage.