PDA

View Full Version : Inuyasha eyes

emi no tsubasa
07-06-2004, 03:18 PM
I found these really cool cats-eye contacts (http://www.lensquest.com/scripts/productlens.asp?prodid=707&cur=1&cam=&AID=10296332&PID=1378333) on the internet. They come with or without perscription. The same site also has other costume contacts.

pink_killer
07-06-2004, 03:45 PM
I always wondered about if contacts were necessary for characters that have those really outstanding eyes such as Inu Yasha, Sesshoumaru, Itachi..etc. But I also saw a news program about how this one girl bought costume lenses and almost went blind because of it. This leads me to say that without a perscription, cosmestic lenses aren't really that safe. You need to be careful when using them, I would suggest. Or just make sure they are 100% sterilized before you but them in your eyes.

Kitsune-sama
07-06-2004, 04:33 PM
O_O Holy crap, they're pricey!!
They look awsome! But they remind me what little $$$ I've got... --;

Chocochick
07-06-2004, 04:39 PM
I always wondered about if contacts were necessary for characters that have those really outstanding eyes such as Inu Yasha, Sesshoumaru, Itachi..etc. But I also saw a news program about how this one girl bought costume lenses and almost went blind because of it. This leads me to say that without a perscription, cosmestic lenses aren't really that safe. You need to be careful when using them, I would suggest. Or just make sure they are 100% sterilized before you but them in your eyes.

The thing about cosmetic lenses is, you should always have an optometrist order them so they can tell you if it they are safe. They'll be able to see what they are made out of and how they are made to determine that. I doubt the cosmetic lense itself was the result of blindness, most likely yes, if they were unsterilizied, maybe even left to sit in a substance other than contact solution. Generally, they are safe.

Just my input ^_^

pink_killer
07-06-2004, 05:06 PM
The thing about cosmetic lenses is, you should always have an optometrist order them so they can tell you if it they are safe. They'll be able to see what they are made out of and how they are made to determine that. I doubt the cosmetic lense itself was the result of blindness, most likely yes, if they were unsterilizied, maybe even left to sit in a substance other than contact solution. Generally, they are safe.

Just my input ^_^

That's what I thought ~~ But I'm always that little Miss Cautious about everything @.@ I mean the store where she bought it from looked a little..dirty, you know? And she probably just popped them out and put them in. I would make sure they were clean and all before I would put them in. But thanks for reassuring me n.n I might invest in some soon if I decide to do a character with odd color eyes. Mm..Itachi sounds very tempting..

Miyabi-
07-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Those are pricey but there is a brand called Crazy Eyes that aren't too expensive and if you can wait until around Halloween time they usually drop in price! I'm planning on making an Inuyasha costume and I'm definately going to invest in the lenses. The only thing that sucks for me is that my vision is really awful (-7.00 in left eye and -5.25 in the right) so I definately have to order them through the eye doc.

Sakumo-kun
07-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Hm... my friend (who's cosplaying Inuyasha for Anime Evolution and is rich, thus can easily afford contacts and things...) bought a pair of those as the finishing touch to her costume. *looks* The image on the site has been doctored a bit. The actual contacts are a paler yellow than that. They look very cool when part of a finished costume, but they take a lot of adjusting. Hers seemed to slip almost constantly, causing her to have a cat's eye with a horizontal pupil instead of a vertical one, thus pretty much losing the effect.

Also, as everyone else has mentioned--it's smart to take into consideration the potential damage you may do to your eyes. One has to be careful when looking for contacts, I've heard (I'll never wear 'em... morbidly afraid of anything coming near my eyes... :o ) that wearing contacts, even for a short amount of time, can potentially blind you...

pink_killer
07-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Hm... my friend (who's cosplaying Inuyasha for Anime Evolution and is rich, thus can easily afford contacts and things...) bought a pair of those as the finishing touch to her costume. *looks* The image on the site has been doctored a bit. The actual contacts are a paler yellow than that. They look very cool when part of a finished costume, but they take a lot of adjusting. Hers seemed to slip almost constantly, causing her to have a cat's eye with a horizontal pupil instead of a vertical one, thus pretty much losing the effect.

Also, as everyone else has mentioned--it's smart to take into consideration the potential damage you may do to your eyes. One has to be careful when looking for contacts, I've heard (I'll never wear 'em... morbidly afraid of anything coming near my eyes... :o ) that wearing contacts, even for a short amount of time, can potentially blind you...

My courage has just dropped again ._. Someone reassure me..

R1KKu
07-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Find some that are prism balanced. I dont know what the term actually means, but it prevents the contact lenses from spinning around in your eye and making the pattern look weird.

Talk to an optometrist before you purchase them. Even if your vision is 20/20, you'll want to make sure contacts wont damage your eye in any way. Another thing, youll want to know the curve and diameter and whatnot of your eye, so you dont end up purchasing uncomfortable contacts that dont fit right.

Before putting anything in your eye (unless its by accident) wash your hands. You never know what germs could pass from your hands to your eyes. Its best to do it in front of a mirror, and be aware of your surroundings. Ive almost lost contacts down the sink =O

Chocochick
07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Poor pink_killer. Really, as long as you have an optometrist check them out, get them fitted, and take proper care of them (keep them in solution, wash your hands), you'll be fine. My vision is 20/20, and I wear non-prescriptive colour contacts when I go to coventions.

pink_killer
07-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Yay. My voice of hope. Okay I'll look into it then. I'm glad my eye doctor isn't that hard to go see and I would always make sure they would be in solution and my hands clean as possible if I would wear contacts. I don't have 20/20 but I'm not blind and I barely ever wear glasses because..I find no real need to. I'm bad at distances but not where I'll walk into a wall or something..You know? However, there are a bunch of characters I would look into for the eye thing and thanks for the reassurance Chocochick! :heart:

Chocochick
07-07-2004, 12:24 PM
No problem XD If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. Hmm...maybe I should make a contact FAQ on here.

emi no tsubasa
07-07-2004, 05:29 PM
I wear contacts normally, so I'm pretty comfortable with them in the first place. Just make sure they're sterile, and you're fine. Having an optomitrist order them is probably a good idea too. I don't know about cosmetic contacts (color and costume ones), but my normal contacts were covered by my insurance.

AniMajor
07-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Those are pricey but there is a brand called Crazy Eyes that aren't too expensive and if you can wait until around Halloween time they usually drop in price! I'm planning on making an Inuyasha costume and I'm definately going to invest in the lenses. The only thing that sucks for me is that my vision is really awful (-7.00 in left eye and -5.25 in the right) so I definately have to order them through the eye doc.

Ah, I hate to tell you this, but I tried to ask my eye doctor to fit me for Crazy Eyes and he said that they didn't come in my prescription. I'm a -5.25 in both eyes. I think they go up to -3.00 or something. He said if I got them I'd have to wear my glasses. However, he said that stuff like Acuvue or Focus color lenses came in my prescription.

rei_hino
07-07-2004, 07:59 PM
My mom said these didn't exist. . .WHOO I KNEW THEY DID!
*No longer believes mom*
I wanted to get cool contacts like cat eyes for my inuyasha costume as well. . and even for Rosiel, a planned costume. But I don't think they last as long as regular contacts. I do wear contacts, but if I did buy those contacts (if I ever got the money. . somehow, someday. . .) I would definitely have my eye doctor check them out first. Better safe than sorry. I think that if you pretty much have the optometrist check them out, keep them sterilized and clean so nothing would go wrong. .hopefully. . .
One thing I might do is that I would ask my optometrist about the website, asking if he's ever heard of it or knows something about it. Just in case, I mean, what if someone ordered contacts from this site before and had real eye problems because of their lenses and it started happening to other people and then suddenly people went blind because the people are putting radioactive stuff in the lenses0_o I little tooo much sci-fi there. But if that site has a bad rep or something, it would be nice to know about it. . .

Miyabi-
07-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Ah, I hate to tell you this, but I tried to ask my eye doctor to fit me for Crazy Eyes and he said that they didn't come in my prescription. I'm a -5.25 in both eyes. I think they go up to -3.00 or something. He said if I got them I'd have to wear my glasses. However, he said that stuff like Acuvue or Focus color lenses came in my prescription.

Oh that SUCKS. Maybe the brand I'm thinking of that goes up higher in prescriptions are the Wild Eyes brand....those are a lot more than Crazy Eyes though....
Phooey! >_<
Thanks for letting me know though! ^_^

AniMajor
07-07-2004, 09:24 PM
The way contacts work is this: They're little plastic bowl-shaped things that you put in your eye. They come in cases or vials in sterile solutions, and, before you put them in, you wash them with another sterile solution. You also wash your hands before doing this. It's not like putting something random from the ground in your eye. And if you drop your contact, you wash it again.

Your eye doctor has to fit you for contacts and give you a prescription for them, or else any legitimate place won't sell you them. The other thing about contacts is they aren't the same prescription as your glasses. They're closer to your eye so they don't need to be as strong.

When ordering online, you have to give a prescription, possibly even a toric power, and the site usually checks with your doctor to make sure you should be wearing the lenses. You can also order practically any lens through your eye doctor.

Sometimes, you'll try out a type of contact and you're eye doctor will say that you can't wear them, either because they're the wrong shape, they won't fit on your eye properly, or your eye doesn't like having them in. They also tell you to come in for a check up a week or two later so they can make sure the lenses aren't hurting your eyes. My sister couldn't stand the contacts that she wanted, so she had to get another type. My brother also had problems with his, so he decided to forgo vision correction altogether.

The other thing is, most normally colored lenses that you try out at your eye doctor are planar, or have no prescription. They also say "test" on the outside rim. This is so people won't come in, try on a pair or two, and not buy any.

If you get the disposable ones, they last for two weeks, so if you were only using them for cosplaying, two boxes (one for each eye) would last you quite a while, and most boxes (of 6) cost between $15 and $35. For the non-disposable ones, those last a year, and come seperatly in vials, and range from $50-$100 each.

Oh, and the reason people go blind, get eye infections, etc from contacts, is because two people are sharing lenses (which is like sharing your retainers), people are not cleaning their lenses properly (I've heard stories of people cleaning them by spitting on them, or wiping them on their shirt), wearing them too long, or not having them fitted by an eye doctor.