PDA

View Full Version : What is Anime USA Like?

senshi_meiousei
07-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Greetings!

My cosplay group and myself have been discussing going to other conventions other than Otakon and Katsucon, which are the two we currently attend. Anime USA is within our comfortable driving distance, so we would like to know what it is like. In comparison to Otakon and Katsucon, how big is it? Are the activities similar? Approximately how many people attend? And would you recommend it? We would like to know so we can come to a decision about whether or not to attend this convention. Thank you!

Wakusei
07-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Anime USA is held in a beautiful hotel, as for size I can't really say seeing that I've only frequented 2 different cons so far. In terms of measurement the dealer room is usually atleast the size of a full basketball court, or atleast close to it.

It is also the only convention I've been to so far that's had a kendo demonstration. They haven't updated any lists yet or I'd go into detial on some events.

Darxim
07-06-2004, 07:42 PM
We've got an event list up on our site (http://animeusa.org/events.html). [looks at site] Hmmm... maybe I should add some descriptions to those. The page looks kinda ghetto just being a list like that.

Let's see... what differentiates us from Otakon and Katsucon. Well, things are more likely to start on time, and less likely to be rescheduled. One thing I like is how we don't seat you and make you wait an hour for cosplay. No, sir. We seat you and then distract you with something on the stage until we're ready to start the cosplay. Well, that's what we did last year. We're planning something similar this year, but certain variables still need to be factored. Actually, a lot is still in the planning stages, like an art auction on Saturday as well as Sunday (because not everyone goes on Sunday for some reason :(... even though we actually plan stuff for Sunday, and Sunday at Anime USA is less depressing than it is at other conventions).

We also have an invariably friendly staff, especially the director of marketing and relations :skidude2:. Hey, take it from me, I know the guy personally. He's partially single, ladies ;). But, yeah, everyone else is nice, too. *shifty eyes*

Anime USA is my favorite convention, so naturally I decided to ruin it for myself and join the staff. Being on staff is fun... except for that stinging sensation the whip leaves. I'm telling you, the best way to enjoy a con is by being a suc... er, staff member. Yeah, that's it. :untrust: :)

We're expecting about 2000 attendees (not counting staff, dealers, guests, etc). IMHO, smaller conventions are better. They're just more social. But don't take my word for it. Why just listen to the praises of these brainwashed zombies.

"......................"

You see? They love it.

Maester Seymour
07-06-2004, 11:47 PM
I do like smaller cons ^_^ I'll really looking forward to this con now, as kuja is well on its way...hm i guess i should probably pre-reg and register for the masquerade when i book the room too. Well I'm the only one from my cosplay group going to this con but that doesnt bother me, I've seen your cosplay group before, senshi_meiousei, lots of sm! very cool.

Sorahana
07-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Small cons rock ^_~. Lots more room, more fun, and much easier to meet people ^_^. I was originally going to just go with my mom but now I'm going with a bunch of my friends too xDD. They keep folowing me to cons......HELP!!
I look forward to this especially since it starts the day after my 17th birthday, so this is my birthday present, yahoo!! :3

senshi_meiousei
07-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I do like smaller cons ^_^ I'll really looking forward to this con now, as kuja is well on its way...hm i guess i should probably pre-reg and register for the masquerade when i book the room too. Well I'm the only one from my cosplay group going to this con but that doesnt bother me, I've seen your cosplay group before, senshi_meiousei, lots of sm! very cool.

Arigato ^_^ We would like to expand, so we're looking for conventions in our area to go to. We don't want to go if it's a "sucky" con, so we're asking around. Thanks everyone! Anime USA is definately on our list now!

Maester Seymour
07-08-2004, 10:14 PM
yay! I'd love to take some pix with ur group or of ur group if thats ok. I love meeting new friends at cons and anime usa sounds like a perfect one to do so. ^_^

quadrophenia
07-09-2004, 02:10 PM
I am pleased to hear such good things about AnimeUSA! My friend and I won free passes at AnimeNEXT in that true/false game show (though they may have only signed us up for one, really must contact someone about that), and at first I thought it might be a little far away and was hesitant to plan going since I'm a little money-light these days, but after hearing such good things, I am really looking forward it ^_^

Maester Seymour
07-09-2004, 08:17 PM
yay It would be nice to actually have a cosplay.com gathering maybe? I want to meet all the ppl I know from the forums and stuff, as I don't know all that many from here. thoughts?

Terumi
07-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Let's see... what differentiates us from Otakon and Katsucon. Well, things are more likely to start on time, and less likely to be rescheduled. One thing I like is how we don't seat you and make you wait an hour for cosplay. No, sir. We seat you and then distract you with something on the stage until we're ready to start the cosplay. Well, that's what we did last year. We're planning something similar this year, but certain variables still need to be factored. Actually, a lot is still in the planning stages, like an art auction on Saturday as well as Sunday (because not everyone goes on Sunday for some reason :(... even though we actually plan stuff for Sunday, and Sunday at Anime USA is less depressing than it is at other conventions)

I love the plan you guys have for the cosplay contest! It is seldom that I am found in the audience and not in the contest, but I think your "distraction" plan is a great idea. ^^ I'm also happy to hear all this good stuff about the con XD i just hope i can make it

Sorahana
07-09-2004, 11:35 PM
yay It would be nice to actually have a cosplay.com gathering maybe? I want to meet all the ppl I know from the forums and stuff, as I don't know all that many from here. thoughts?

A cosplay.com gathering would rock ^___~. They always do rock at any con, but this would be a good con for one since its smaller than the bigger ones :3.
And the cosplay planning sounds awesome!! Can't wait!!

Wakusei
07-10-2004, 12:45 AM
A cosplay.com gathering would rock ^___~.

It definately would and it would be my first, so let's do that. It wouldn't only rock, but it would probably also Roll, Blues, Gutsman, and every other navi on the block. :bigtu:
*God, I hope people caught that horrible Rockman.exe refference.*

Sorahana
07-10-2004, 12:06 PM
It definately would and it would be my first, so let's do that. It wouldn't only rock, but it would probably also Roll, Blues, Gutsman, and every other navi on the block. :bigtu:
*God, I hope people caught that horrible Rockman.exe refference.*

Nope I didn't unfortunately ^^;. The gathering should have a theme song *lmao*. But yes all c.com people...........ASSEMBLE!!!

Darxim
07-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Maybe a cosplay.com gathering panel. Well, wouldn't be much of a panel, but it could be in a panel room. There's chairs in those.

Hmmm... an idea for a panel that doesn't require a panelist. I should come up with more of these.

Sorahana
07-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Maybe a cosplay.com gathering panel. Well, wouldn't be much of a panel, but it could be in a panel room. There's chairs in those.

Hmmm... an idea for a panel that doesn't require a panelist. I should come up with more of these.

That sounds cool! Can I sit at the table and lead the crowd? Lol just kidding I wish I could do that hehe xD. Thats a great idea ^O^

aku
07-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Anime USA. Quality con. Small, but better than Katsu, in my opinion.

Darxim
07-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Ooh, I updated the Events (http://animeusa.org/events.html) page yesterday with descriptions. They're all kind of generic, but izz all good.

Maester Seymour
07-14-2004, 09:40 PM
woo ..are you going to post a timed schedule sometime later so ppl can plan out their days beforehand? and yay for cosplay...im entering when i pick up my *silver* badge and stuff XD

Avian_Firefly
07-15-2004, 08:24 AM
yeah, I wasn't really fond of Katsu. It was my 2nd con experiance after Otakon. We only went Sat. and there wasn't alot to do. Or ppl taking pics....::weep::
Anyway I'm in OPIB with Setsuna_Meioh ^_^ and I can't wait to go to Anime USA!

marronsama
07-15-2004, 01:18 PM
KATSU actually got much better. There was a time it was like "what the hell are they doing?"

Avian_Firefly
07-15-2004, 01:20 PM
EWWWW, it's BETTER? hmmm, that's kinda sad. But it's getting bigger so maybe with the popularity it'll be nice in 05. also my only con had been Otakon....so yeah. i have some high standards.

Sorahana
07-15-2004, 01:36 PM
I loved Katsu. Only problem was stuff was confusing and yes it was crowded. And then that hotel evacuation o_O;. And stuff happened at the rave and a bunch of other stuff..............oh and that virus that was going around (I was spared, thank God I ate food and prcticed proper hygiene habits xD). But other than that it rocked because I was able to hangout with my friends for once!! But it was a bit crowded but not unbearable.
I can't wait until AUSA because it's smaller and my friends are going meaning I can hang out with people.................YAHOO!!!!!!!! *winks at John* Sorry couldn't help myself xDD. I'll hopefully be going with my bunch of friends and my one friend's mom since it would be cheaper that way xDD.

Avian_Firefly
07-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeah, friends are always good. i was only with 2 other people and we only went for one day. But I look forward to trying a new con ^_^ Plus it's so cheap! cheap makes me happy.

Sorahana
07-15-2004, 02:02 PM
PRAISE THE AFFORDABLE PRICE!! I may just stick to cons these size from now on because they're cheaper (Otakon is costing us almost $500 -_-). And it'll probably be my bday prezzie so yahoo :3.

Avian_Firefly
07-15-2004, 02:26 PM
yeah, i just figured out the prices for prereg and hotels for his and katsu and this is much more affordable. Luckily we can take the metro to Otakon or else i don't think we could afford it either. YAY for MD ^_^

Darxim
07-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Katsu is only as good as the company you keep at it. This past Katsu wasn't so great for me because... well, basically my girlfriend dumped me. She didn't actually do it at the con, but I saw it coming, so the entire con I was worried about it. Go Valentine's Day! :( Short of that, though, and the fact that I forgot chapstick so my lips were stinging the entire time, it was pretty good.

You must note I don't go to these things for the planned events and activities, so how good any con is for me depends on who's there and how well the locale accommodates social activity. Anime USA is pretty good for the latter (the former is mostly independent of the convention). Anime USA is also close to where I live, so more of my friends are in attendance, which makes it that much better.

I don't take pictures, mostly because my camera has fierce problems with motion blur. Instead, I get hugs from cute girls on account of them being cute. So, if a semi-attractive guy wearing a staff badge asks you for a hug, take it as a compliment. :)

trigunvash
07-15-2004, 10:33 PM
AnimeUSA is a great convention, its small size is a confortable environment to relax, compaired to Otakon's big crazy one.

Offtopic, Katsucon was ok this year, unfortunatly I missed the evacuation because I was up volunteering in security until around 6am then passed out walked to my hotel across the street, I didn't know there was an evacuation until after the con ending lol. The funny thing was when I was working all night I was like "when is there gonna be some action" LOL I spoke a few hours too soon. Also some people blamed the virus on the water, which I don't think so, since myself and a few of my friends drank boat loads of water at the con and didn't get sick. Finally next year's katsucon has moved into two different hotels (I wonder how thats gonna work), at least the hotels are right next to each other.

But back on topic, animeusa is great.

Maester Seymour
07-15-2004, 10:53 PM
gah this just makes me more excited. im really looking forward to seeing the sailor moon cosplay group ppl, I like their group's costumes a lot. Kuja is steadily being worked on, and I'll be in the masquerade. I hope to see everyone there. I'm expecting a lot out of this con now that so much has been highly spoken about it.

quadrophenia
07-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Hurrah! Hurrah for a small Fall con! I'm also all about that affordable price ^_^ Otakon is gonna drain me...

A gathering panel would be fun, I think!

Avian_Firefly
07-16-2004, 07:45 AM
okay, I went to register by paypal but it says it's $30 and not $25. can I only get the $25 through mail-in registration?

Darxim
07-16-2004, 11:41 AM
The $25 registration rate ended with June. It is currently $30.

We will have a table at Otakon in the dealer's room. We will be offering a $5 discount on registrations there. T-shirts are full price because they kick ass this year.

Czygany
07-16-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm soooo glad to hear positive things about this con! It's unbelievably close to where I live so I felt kindda silly for not wanting to go but that's just because of my stupid mentality that 'surely anything worth going to couldn't be anywhere around here, could it?'. (I don't know why I keep thinking I've got to journey to get to the interesting things...damn wanderlust *wink*)

So, yeah, I'll be there! Hopefully with a new, as-yet-to-be-determined costume...perhaps I can even finagle a friend or two along and drag them about so I won't be wandering around alone...hope to see everyone there! (it's a small con, right? *tease*)

Unmei
07-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Ohh, Yes. Anime USA. ;_; The very first Convention I ever went too, aah an amazing convention.

Its environment is very relaxing, and there's a McDonalds + Mall (Tysons! :D) Nearby. XD; Yea, going there with your cosplaying costumes on is great, people all staring at you, but whatever, it's loads of fun.

:3 Not very crowded (Like Katsu and Otakon e.e ) at all. There's Karaoke contests too! XDD Yay!!!

:O As said, it was my first con and will always be my favorite one. <3 It brought me closer to my friends also, so that's good.

Actually, I went to Katsucon last Feb. o.o;; First time being there too. The hotel is beautiful, I'll give it that. Though, it was a bit...overly crowded. But I shouldn't be saying anything because I haven't been to Otakon yet XD;;. I wasn't there for the evacuation either O.o;; Hmm...

Wasn't the virus passed around in the water from the hotel or something? *Vaguely remembers* But it was great spending Valentines day there too XD

The Dealers room at Katsu was great, too. The first time I spent all the money I saved up in one day.

But anyways, I definitely recommend Anime USA. You won't regret it, trust me.

trigunvash
07-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Again, it wasn't the water since I and a lot of people I was with drank boat loads of the stuff and nothing happen. It was more a combination of it being the cold weather (winter) and crazy Otaku not getting enough sleep or good nutrition, then shove them all into a small hotel, the atmosphere is not a good one. But look forward to next year's Katsucon which is being held in TWO different hotels next to each other, should be more space this time.

Sylvia
07-23-2004, 05:38 AM
I went to AnimeUSA by LUCK last year, we were moving to the area and we just happened to be nearby the day it was going on, so I convinced my father to take me and I had tons of fun. ^^ Everyone was really nice and such. Currently I live about 5 minutes from Tysons, so I'm DEFINATELY returning this year! :D

Darxim
07-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Again, it wasn't the water since I and a lot of people I was with drank boat loads of the stuff and nothing happen. It was more a combination of it being the cold weather (winter) and crazy Otaku not getting enough sleep or good nutrition, then shove them all into a small hotel, the atmosphere is not a good one. But look forward to next year's Katsucon which is being held in TWO different hotels next to each other, should be more space this time.
Sticking to the off-topic Katsucon thing for a moment, it may have been a single batch of water, but it's extremely unlikely. I, too, drank a lot of water and didn't get sick. However, I attribute it more to the whole dry air thing. The dryness and cold make people really susceptible to contracting a disease due to their weakened immune system. Also, there were a bunch of people who got sick by something that is neither viral nor bacterial. I'll give you a hint: it looked like Kool-aid.

Anyway, because of the time of year, it's not a problem that occurs at Anime USA. Last year Anime USA was in mid-late November, and the weather was quite pleasant. This year, it's a few weeks earlier (Halloween weekend), so the weather should be even better. Of course, by saying that, I've now doomed us all to non-stop rain that weekend. :(

In closing, I like cookies.

Sorahana
07-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Sticking to the off-topic Katsucon thing for a moment, it may have been a single batch of water, but it's extremely unlikely. I, too, drank a lot of water and didn't get sick. However, I attribute it more to the whole dry air thing. The dryness and cold make people really susceptible to contracting a disease due to their weakened immune system. Also, there were a bunch of people who got sick by something that is neither viral nor bacterial. I'll give you a hint: it looked like Kool-aid.

Anyway, because of the time of year, it's not a problem that occurs at Anime USA. Last year Anime USA was in mid-late November, and the weather was quite pleasant. This year, it's a few weeks earlier (Halloween weekend), so the weather should be even better. Of course, by saying that, I've now doomed us all to non-stop rain that weekend. :(

In closing, I like cookies.

Thank you Darxim, as we speak a heard of Pikachus and Hypello are heading to your house and or apartment to deal with you >D..........
I'm just messing xD;

And you like cookies?! OMG ME TOO! GO COOKIES!

trigunvash
07-25-2004, 03:30 PM
More celery sticks in the hospitality room!

senshi_meiousei
07-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Oh I cannot wait to try Anime USA out! And I will be pre-registering for it at Otakon and get the discount! Thank you so much for having the $5 discount. That really helps me since I'm now an almost poor college student!

Avian_Firefly
07-25-2004, 09:36 PM
I already sent the money (but only sent $25, since I still though it was june for some reason......) Anyway, can I still get the $5 discount and not have to send in the extra $5?.......just wondering ^_^

chibistarpower
07-26-2004, 12:42 AM
Animeusa is awesome, I loved it ^^ theres nuthing wrong with small conventions^^ it just means there more organized and you dont have to wait HOURS in line for stuff, i tihnk i had more fun at ausa then any other con in a loooong time^^

Maester Seymour
07-26-2004, 01:04 AM
gah chibistarpower, you're just making me more excited... .and its still 3 months away. gah! ::pouts::

YunalescaSummon
08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
I love AUSA. It's a fantastic convention, because it's small and you get personal interaction with the guests (like when we hung out with Scott McNeil, who needs to come BACK to AUSA). The only thing I ever had happen to me at AUSA was that our Artist's Alley table went missing, but we ended up getting a better table by the game room anyway, so it wasn't THAT bad. And you can actually see the stage for the cosplay.

Darxim
08-02-2004, 05:28 PM
I already sent the money (but only sent $25, since I still though it was june for some reason......) Anyway, can I still get the $5 discount and not have to send in the extra $5?.......just wondering ^_^
Did you stop by? Someone did while I was there, asking if they could get the discount. I was going to say she could have a free hug instead, but I was not on top of my game all weekend. I would've been the guy behind the table who looked dead. My legs were killing me (evil dead 2 style).