PDA

View Full Version : What is Anime Mid-Atlantic Like?

senshi_meiousei
07-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Greetings!

My cosplay group and myself have been discussing going to other conventions other than Otakon and Katsucon, which are the two we currently attend. Anime Mid-Atlantic is within our comfortable driving distance, so we would like to know what it is like. In comparison to Otakon and Katsucon, how big is it? Are the activities similar? Approximately how many people attend? And would you recommend it? We would like to know so we can come to a decision about whether or not to attend this convention. Thank you!

Wakusei
07-08-2004, 12:35 AM
I'm in kind of a reverse boat. I have been attending Anime Mid-Atlantic and Anime USA, but hopefully starting next year will raise it to 4 with Katsucon and Otakon.

Anime Mid-Atlantic seems to grow each year. I'm sure most would say it's relatively small compared to most of the others, but it is very well organized. You are less prone to being crowded at the con, but with some events such as Plushycon and the Masquerade you can't help but be crowded. It is a very good location as well, being right off a main road and having plenty of shops around. It's a very short walk to feed yourself or to grab up some supplies for any cosplay emergencies.

uberpony
08-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Crummy. I went, maybe expecting something like Katsucon, big mistake. There was almost nothing decent on the plan, and it was so small you could barely tell if you had reached the convention area.

Savior Arucard
08-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Well, I'm still somewhat new to conventions, but AMA was my first. I enjoyed AMA much more than any other con I've been to, which are few. It's nothing compared to Otakon's size, but in a way, that's also a good thing (atleast in my opinion). Anyway, I had a blast at AMA, and definitely recommend going. I hope it helps.

Giant Alucard
08-23-2004, 05:21 PM
I went and I thought it was a ok con. Yes, I'll agree, it was smaller than I expected, but you can still have fun at small cons, and sometimes they can be a whole lot more organizes than bigger ones.

Reiko
08-24-2004, 09:07 PM
I think AMA is a great con and growing every year. Smaller cons are better ^_^ Cus its not as busy as Ota or katsu. its my fav con and for the Agents, since we met there its a must to be there

Tora
08-24-2004, 09:26 PM
It's a good time. Good change of pace, and very 'intimate' atmosphere. I met alot of panelists, and even stumbled upon (literally) a few voice actors while attending AMA this year. You're all in the same hotel, and even though they might not offer as much as a larger con, you'll find yourself a little more relaxed.

Plus, it's very easy to meet new friends! AMA '03 I went down in one car with a few buds. AMA '04 we had a good 5 car caravan. ^_^*

So yes, while it might be a smaller convention, I'd still reccommend it as one to hit up once a year.

NekoZidane
09-20-2004, 02:53 AM
I have to back up Reiko and Tora on this one. One of the two chillest cons I've attended, the other being Nekocon. It's a great place to meet new friends, or stay up all night partying.

Either way, the obvious growth from '03's con, to 04 shows that they're doing something right.

NeoLunaAngel
09-25-2004, 09:37 PM
As long as they don't double book the events at the hotel...le sigh...

soccer mom's...

I love ama...so teeny and so great...I would give up on otakon for an ama any day

Reiko
09-26-2004, 01:06 AM
I have to agree with you on that one ^_^

Giant Alucard
09-27-2004, 10:00 AM
you got that right!!!

Xavier
10-06-2004, 07:32 AM
[...]soccer mom's...[...]

::gets flashbacks:: soccer moms!!!!!!

*is seen coming out in a schoolgirl uniform in camo, with kevlar jacket, face painted, and with night vision goggles ... throws flashbang in middle of soccer mom group, commences blowing up said soccer moms with grenade launcher! watches buncha crazed otaku come running in ... as carlin had described his immune system ... with fully automatic assult rifles with night vision and laser scopes with recently acquired phosphorus grenades, cluster bombs and anti-personnel fragmentation mines.*

... only those that went to ama 2004 will ever get that joke ...

but as god would say it ... "i saw it and it was good"

AgentOS
01-11-2005, 11:13 PM
::gets flashbacks:: soccer moms!!!!!!

*is seen coming out in a schoolgirl uniform in camo, with kevlar jacket, face painted, and with night vision goggles ... throws flashbang in middle of soccer mom group, commences blowing up said soccer moms with grenade launcher! watches buncha crazed otaku come running in ... as carlin had described his immune system ... with fully automatic assult rifles with night vision and laser scopes with recently acquired phosphorus grenades, cluster bombs and anti-personnel fragmentation mines.*

... only those that went to ama 2004 will ever get that joke ...

but as god would say it ... "i saw it and it was good"

Haha one even got arrested. I went to the plushiecon at animeusa and we talked about that as one of the most remembered things from any con.

Anyway AMA4 was my first con last year. I thought otakon was a bit too large but still fun. AMA is cool because it is easier to meet people at and less crowded. The only time you couldn't get into something was the DDR finals. Also the hotel doesnt care about parties or staying up all night (I like to think parties and staying up were encouraged). One soccer mom tried to get a party busted but it never worked. The only hotel rule at AMA is that you cannot fall asleep in the hall. If they don't hear people complain or loud music coming from a room they won't do squat which is cool. At animeusa a party got busted really fast I heard from a few on the floor. My pal bumped into greg ayers in the bathroom and as a result we talked to him a bunch that weekend.

Ganesh
01-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Crummy. I went, maybe expecting something like Katsucon, big mistake. There was almost nothing decent on the plan, and it was so small you could barely tell if you had reached the convention area.

Totally disagree...I go to AUSA and AMA to get a break from huge cons like Katsucon and Otakon. You can actually meet and talk to the guests, discuss costumes with people and hang out. Is it small? yes. Is it fun? YES!

Yamanaka_Ino
01-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Totally disagree...I go to AUSA and AMA to get a break from huge cons like Katsucon and Otakon. You can actually meet and talk to the guests, discuss costumes with people and hang out. Is it small? yes. Is it fun? YES!

So, you're saying AMA is about the size of AUSA?
My friends and I went to AUSA6, and were quite pleased..

Ganesh
01-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Thereabouts, AUSA may be a tad bigger, but not by much. AMA is more spread out, so you can't really figure out how many people there are.

But ya, if you like AUSA, then AMA is the same type deal.

I'm really looking foward to AMA this year...

ravenmist
01-25-2005, 07:42 PM
I've never been to AMA. Though we live in Virginia Beach and it's not too far from us. Maybe we'll try and go to this con as well. My only con so far has been NekoCon and then we're going to Katsu next month. If it's a bit more intimate and easier to get around then we'll definitely try and go this year. We've still got plenty of time to decide.