PDA

View Full Version : Cosplaying certain characters?

L-Lamb
07-07-2004, 04:15 PM
This is my first year at Yaoi Con and I was wondering what most people cosplay as?
I can see where Weiss and Gravitation and Yami no Matsuei would be popular but what about some other series?
Like would it be weird if I cosplayed as Kiba from Wolf's Rain as a wolf? I would make it where people who've seen the series can tell who I am but does that seem weird?
Wolf's Rain is a popular series for imaginative yaoi fans right?
I'm just curious and worried.
Thanks for any help! :jjacks:

jetspectacular
07-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Wolf's rain would be awesome to see!!! and there's not NEARLY enough wr yaoi out there..I wouldn't think it wierd at all...who doesn't love fangboys? or even non-human costumes for that matter.. (what i'd go super fangirl over would be that shinigami dude from DEATHNOTE....!)

but if i'm going i'd be doing videogame characters all the way...! It's still hazy but here's my list of possibles:

Fatal Fury MoTW: Rock Howard (because i want his jacket..! and a sign that says "I'M VIOLENT BECAUSE DADDY DIDN"T LOVE ME")
Galerians:ASH: Rion Steiner (cuz I just beat the game, and i want his shirt... >__>)
Samurai Warriors: Ranmaru Mori (cuz i saw a girl do this at AX and it was BEAUTIFUL. and ranchan's a ho! whee!)

and one anime one?
Peacemaker Kurogane: Suzu Kitamura (goes with my samurai boy fetish >__> and his outfits post-ikedaincident are Awesome and sexy..)

they're not *too* easy.. but they'd be fun to do..

L-Lamb
07-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Wolf's rain would be awesome to see!!! and there's not NEARLY enough wr yaoi out there..I wouldn't think it wierd at all...who doesn't love fangboys? or even non-human costumes for that matter.. (what i'd go super fangirl over would be that shinigami dude from DEATHNOTE....!)

but if i'm going i'd be doing videogame characters all the way...! It's still hazy but here's my list of possibles:

Fatal Fury MoTW: Rock Howard (because i want his jacket..! and a sign that says "I'M VIOLENT BECAUSE DADDY DIDN"T LOVE ME")
Galerians:ASH: Rion Steiner (cuz I just beat the game, and i want his shirt... >__>)
Samurai Warriors: Ranmaru Mori (cuz i saw a girl do this at AX and it was BEAUTIFUL. and ranchan's a ho! whee!)

and one anime one?
Peacemaker Kurogane: Suzu Kitamura (goes with my samurai boy fetish >__> and his outfits post-ikedaincident are Awesome and sexy..)

they're not *too* easy.. but they'd be fun to do..

Thank you!!
I'm glad someone replied...and thanks for the support!
I just might do a wolf's rain cosplay....so if you see a wolf there it'll be me!
Your cosplay ideas sound great. Lemme know what you narrow it down to!

Karisu-sama
07-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Gundam Wing is a big hit. :p Fruits Basket and X cosplays were pretty popular last year...

Any series that has guys that can be potentially paired in fanfic is fair game. So, pretty much anything. Especially if it has lots of bishie guys in it. :)

Sixshot
07-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Prince of Tennis cosplay is starting to build too, the only problem with POT cosplay is that unless you do your hair right it's hard to distinguish which character you are since they all wear the same thing.

Schuldig
07-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Here's just some key words of advice: nine times out of ten, if there's at least two hotties in a series, a fan girl out there somewhere has forced the dears (whether straight or not) to do something dirty in her head.

Hence why we have so many great doujins! *laughs* Seriously, Weiss, Gundam, Yami, EMU, Sayuki... none of those are yaoi series.. but you'd almost think they were with their fandom following.

If you want to pick up some yaoi, you've got Gravitation, Earthian, Fake, Boku wa Sexual Harrasment just to name a few...there's so much more but it's mostly just in manga form

L-Lamb
07-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the input!
Also thanks for letting me know what was popular last year. I can't wait to go!

I'm familiar with Yaoi titles and have pretty good knowledge of them but I just wasn't sure how much of a yaoi following Wolf's Rain has. Considering it consists of four guys, then it's safe to say I wont have a problem cosplaying them! ^_^

jetspectacular
07-10-2004, 03:18 PM
I would chalk the lack of WR yaoi to it being... "fairly new"? maybe? Usually doujinshi wont start getting made for a series unless it becomes an anime and gets shown on air.. then you wait *one month* and viola, fansites (jp) go up, then "events" get planned.. what's Wolf's Rain's name in japanese?? there's lotsa good yaoi fanart on the japanese web i'm sure... I'm pretty sure I can find japanese WR cosplay also but I haven't seen the series actually, just lotsa fanart so i'll need some help with hunting down..

Prince of Tennis cosplay is starting to build too, the only problem with POT cosplay is that unless you do your hair right it's hard to distinguish which character you are since they all wear the same thing.

I think a lot of people skip that all together and just sport the school shirts.. Like the Full Metal Alchemist military uniform, or the Gundam Seed uniforms, you can easily call yourself an extra from the series if you dont want to/cant look *exactly* like the characters.. because there's so many people cosplaying those series'

For sure the Jump Triumvrate (TeniPuri, Naruto, One Piece) ALL have rampant fangirls writing/drawing since the series' are shounen... Fullmetal Alchemist, Weiss, Saiyuki same deal... and those last three three have very cool costume design to begin with. And I doubt anything will Dethrone Gundam Wing.. even Seed, despite bein pretty =P it hasnt been on american TV yet, (so following the japanese forumla also, it's got no huge-ass following either yet.) it'd be nice to see more Last Exile cosplay.... *guys* need to wear the sailor top more often in anime.. so perfect..

As for me, knowing what's popular for cosplay each year helps what to plan because I want to stay away from popular titles and be THE ONLY COOL ONE in my mind!! XD Is anyone elses like this too??? same mentality as going to the prom in the same dress as all the other girls x.X but it's a fine line between being creative and being obscure...

Does anyone here play BL games?? Like, the yaoi version of computer h games? I know there's lotsa yaoi fans in the states there but for some reason it's not as popular as in Japan-- I'm now reconsidering costumes.. i wanna do Kannagi no Tori because it has awesome costume designes that show off leg! lol...

and since the Guest of honor is Amano Yamane.. Viewfinder cosplay??? x.x? it would be spectacularly sexy to see her guys in real life..

Schubuttercup
07-22-2004, 08:18 PM
I am cosplaying Zhang He from Dynasty Warriors 4 in his default costume.

Pip Bernadette
07-23-2004, 10:17 PM
i am doing saiyuki..me and a friend are doing gojyo and hakkai..hopefully that gets some attention..i am also going as pip from the hellsing manga..also i will be inu yasha with a seshoumaru..lol..this shall be interesting

Kaelistale Nyau
07-25-2004, 04:11 AM
I think you can make any Anime Yoai... unless it's an all girl Anime... does that exsist...? Either way Yaoi Con is great cause anyone can be Yoai! Its a day to show pride! Hehe Iam new to Yaoi con this year too! I decided to just dress as a random Bishi guy.

L-Lamb
07-25-2004, 01:11 PM
I think you can make any Anime Yoai... unless it's an all girl Anime... does that exsist...? Either way Yaoi Con is great cause anyone can be Yoai! Its a day to show pride! Hehe Iam new to Yaoi con this year too! I decided to just dress as a random Bishi guy.

Yea I know what you mean. As long as there's two guys in an anime it can be turned to yaoi. I think the closest to an all girl anime would be Ai Yori Aoshi....There's primarily only that one dude.

p.s. I love your banner for Moon Child....yesss....now there's a movie with much space for yaoi ^_^

ACXchan
07-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Frankly I think that if there's been a yaoi doujinshi made for it then your character will get recognized at some point XD I did Leather Axl Low from Guilty Gear (non-yaoicentric videogame) at Yaoi Con 2003 and I got recognized sooo... I think if it's not obscure, ex. You Higuri's Alleluia des Anges, then you've got a good chance of being recognized *and* loved ^ ^

jetspectacular
07-26-2004, 06:58 PM
haha, ACXchan you're so right, I would't even give KoF or GG a second thought were it not for doujinshi XD I had the doujin before i had a ps2 and now that i have the games ah life is good...!

and Axl Rocks.

ACXchan
07-26-2004, 07:12 PM
LOL is that how you got into the videogames? I started playing GG before learning GG had yaoi doujinshi in the fandom, the canon couple Zato and Venom makes it even better XD Haha love for Axl!

Btw, I'd love to see Wolf's Rain cosplay. I'm particularly partial to Tsume and his nut-crunchin' pants >D

jetspectacular
07-26-2004, 07:33 PM
woah, i just came across a really REALLY awesome jp cos site, here's the main page:
http://pp.qp.tc/mayuhausu/

here's the Wolfs Rain Page: http://pp.qp.tc/mayuhausu/photo/wolf/mayuhausuphoto.html
i've got to see this anime...

well i mean I was playing the games with friends and stuff but, i didn't start getting all fangirly and obsessive (ie, buying copies for myself so I could practice at home, go to arcades, kick my firendss butts, etc) until i came across the doujin and fansites XD there's not nearly enough GG fanfic out there in english though ;_;

Selphie1234
08-01-2004, 04:48 AM
If you want to pick up some yaoi, you've got Gravitation, Earthian, Fake, Boku wa Sexual Harrasment just to name a few...there's so much more but it's mostly just in manga form

Actually, Gravitation is sold in manga form and on DVD. I saw it at best buy and was like "w00t!"