PDA

View Full Version : Chobits ears?

Rethul
12-02-2002, 10:42 PM
I've been looking around and I realized that I definately want to do a Chii (of Chobits fame) costume. I have one problem though... where to I get the ears? If you have seen the series Chii has these ear pieces that I can't seem to find. If I can't get them somewhere how should I go about making them?

Spooky Brew
12-02-2002, 10:43 PM
I've seen some neat looking ones on ebay, but check Firefly Path here on links under Cosplay Comissions, under accessories, she makes awesome ones!!!

Miaka No Baka
12-03-2002, 03:56 AM
usanime.net has the official ears released by clamp. IMHO the official ones look sooo much nicer in pictures when compared to ones made using craft foam or other materials no matter how close you come to the shape. Be prepared to pay cause they're $56 for the set and it comes with a headband and screws so you gotta assemble them to the right setting for you.

Miaka no Baka

KuroBara
12-03-2002, 07:27 AM
The ones Yaya sells look great, but they're also pricey. But, it's worth the investment if you're going to do multiple Chii costumes.
http://angelicstar.net

Sana-chan
12-03-2002, 07:35 AM
I got my official ones from cospa.com

Himemiya
12-03-2002, 10:48 AM
Or you could make them out of craft foam-stuff from walmart, hotglue, and a headband. Trial and error, and most commissioners make them out of that anyway :) Cheaper option, since foam is only like 33 cents a sheet

Hitomi chan
12-03-2002, 03:01 PM
you can do them by yourself, with that "craft foam-stuff", I think is cheaper and you'll be pride of your ears because you made all by yourself ^_^v
I also want to make a Chii costume, and I'm trying to give them the correct shape, but it's a little bit difficult ^-^'

(sorry If I don't write very well, I haven't practiced very much my english since I was eleven!!! and now I'm 20 ^-^)

HuongStar
12-03-2002, 03:35 PM
I used Model Magic in for my first set of Chii ears. It's lightweight, paints well, and inexpensive. In my opinion, the finished product looks better than the craft foam variety. ^_^

The official ears (available through http://www.usanime.net and http://www.ebay.com) only require screwing in the ears so if you have use of your hands, you can assemble them. The good thing about those is that they are lightweight, adjustable, and the most accurate-looking out of the bunch (goes without saying ^_^). Cost-wise, they run in the higher end but a worthwhile investment if you plan on making more than one Chii costume. Firefly Path is a nice alternative if you're looking for a lower priced set.

cutekawaii
12-03-2002, 03:35 PM
If you want, I could make you a pair. I don't have a pair made to show you, but you can check out my other stuff here: http://moonglow.nu/nikkichan/cygnenoir

I'd charge about $30.

If you want to make them, try friendly plastic. It'll look the most professional.

katchoo
12-03-2002, 04:07 PM
Nikki,
Would you make the ears out of the plastic or the foam?

I am also interested in a good pair of ears, I made my own out of foam, and while that is a cheap option, it just doesn't look perfect.

Rethul
12-03-2002, 05:14 PM
I do plan on multiple Chii costumes actually... ever since starting the series I've definately fallen in love with the character. Of course after I get the ears I have to figure out which costume to make.

Note: to make the ears fit the cartooned style I'm planning on changing them a bit. I just borrow a micron pen from my friend (he's an artist) and outline the circles on the ear in black, making them stand out more.

Good idea? Bad Idea?

cutekawaii
12-03-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by katchoo24
Nikki,
Would you make the ears out of the plastic or the foam?

I am also interested in a good pair of ears, I made my own out of foam, and while that is a cheap option, it just doesn't look perfect. Plastic. Definatly plastic. Plastic works best because it can be formed into the right shape (with the little curve on top and the smooshed bottom) and just looks more professional.

This is all too funny because recently I had a dream that I put some Chii ears on e-bay and they went to $100,000+ XD

cutekawaii
12-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Rethul
Note: to make the ears fit the cartooned style I'm planning on changing them a bit. I just borrow a micron pen from my friend (he's an artist) and outline the circles on the ear in black, making them stand out more.

Good idea? Bad Idea? Mmm, I wouldn't do that. The circle this IS embossed, so it would look a million times better if you used a seperate peice of whatever material you're using and sticking it on.

Rethul
12-03-2002, 08:54 PM
microns can write on *anything*, I'm seen my friends write on slick plastic such as gundam models with them... but the alternative is interesting (jots down a note)

L to the 3rd
12-03-2002, 09:34 PM
u can buy the chii's ears at www.animegamers.com. they just restocked but it won't be long b4 they are out of stock!

cutekawaii
12-03-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by L to the 3rd
u can buy the chii's ears at www.animegamers.com. they just restocked but it won't be long b4 they are out of stock! Stop stealing my business XD Besides, those are $60 o_O