PDA

View Full Version : Inuyasha Help Needed! Detailed!

Dragon-Emperor
07-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Introduction
*Alright, basically I want to make an Inuyasha costume, I don't understand how to make one, and I'm not really sure on what hes wearing at all. I've done a forum search and there are many results where 2 thirds of the people reply with "Do a search! Are you lazy? Theres SO much on Inuyasha!". I find that amusing when I see that because if its so easy why dont these people just reply with a link to a thread to answer the question if its so EASY? Well, I did all the research I found I could do on this forum with my limited Cosplay knowledge, So I hope no one tells me "Do a search!! Thats what the buttons there for NOOB!". People should atleast post links if the search is really that easy... Because they arent helping anything but their post count.
*So as you can probably see, I've mainly collected information from the forum and organized it an an easy to navigate fashion. I thank those people who did infact post answers to some things, and I've used your valuable information for something that may help others as well.
*Though I included things about the wigg/nails I do not need help with that, just included it just so if someone else does a search for Inuyasha they can find as much info here as they can.

THE QUESTIONS
1)Alright! Here it goes! I'd like to make a costume exactly like Inuyashas. I am not sure of this, but one post that I found mentioned the top piece (red part) is a type of KIMONO called a "HITATARE". I have a link to this Hitatare under the first link in my Patterns list. Is this what Inuyasha has? Does this pattern have the same Large sleeves that tie up that Inuaysaha has (commonly reffered to as bell sleeves it seems) or is this a fabrication? The "Hitatare" does not seem to have the shoulder "slits" Inuyasha has on his top piece, are those just a fabrication to the Hitatare? Is there a special way to do it? Is it just cutting that slit/gap a little beneath the shoulder so it can reveal the colour of the garment worn below (Juban?)? And also, what is the horizontal line on the chest part of this "Hitatare" Inuyasha wears? Is it a fabrication or is it part of the Hitatare and I just didn't notice? (Can be seen in some of the designated Anime image links posted below)

2) Underneith Inuyashas top red part what is the white garment shown? It looks like the same thing as whats on top just without the slits, is this the case? Or is it actually called a "JUBAN"? Is there a link to a pattern for this? Is there anything special about it? Is this what can be seen through the slits in Inuyashas top red garment? and Is this the white part that can be seen through the slits on the side of Inuyashas pants? It must be longer than shown if thats the case, if so, how long? Does Inuyasha have it tucked in? Does he also have the top red piece tucked in with it? (The possible "JUBAN" can be seen in designated Anime image links posted below)

3) What are his pants? Are they really infact just plain Hakama as listed in the first patterns link shown below? Are the holes/slits on the sides revealing one of Inuyashas undergarments (possible "Juban")? Are these "Hakama" as Baggy/poofy as Inuyashas without any fabrication? Are Inuyashas "Hakama" tied up on the bottom? If so, is this a fabrication? Is this part of the proper pattern?

To sum up the question section
I know I asked A LOT of questions, But I'd greatly appreciate it they as many of them as possible could be answered in an orderly and detailed manner? I would appreciate people verifying things to the best of their abilities and eliminating some doubt from my mind, or showing me/telling me the real truth behind what Inuyashas costume is composed of. If there are any tricks to making any of this could you please post that as well? I would REALLY appreciate these questions being answered in DETAIL and if theres anything you think you could add, that too would be much appreciated!

ADDITIONAL REQUESTS: Links to absolute patterns/alternate patterns would be appreciated, material suggestions appreciated as well

To those of you who read all of this and answer it how I asked I greatly thank you! I hope this thread helps other Inuyasha cosplayers in the future if things are in fact answered well. Again, THANK YOU

THE RESOURCES
Wiggs:
http://www.amphigory.com/ enchantment wigs (colour= Lilly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60188&item=3442576203
http://www.Witchwigs.com Cher wig
http://www.katiebair.com/wig_inuyasha_hanyou.html

Ears: Go with some faux fur fabric or something fuzzy, Cut into triangles and formed (unsure exactly how) then sewn to Wigg
Nails/Claws: Long fake nails bought in the drug store/costume supply stores (In white)

Inuyashas Sword: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=28010

Pattern Examples:
http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html (in the left frame, scroll down to “underneith it all”) - Hitatare, Hakama

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.6698=x&TI='kimono'&pageNum=1&M=&UK=31094343 (Basic Kimono?)

Full Costume for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=315&item=5307744665&rd=1 (includes all pieces, very good!)
Costume Includes...
Scarlet Red Haori Kimono top with a faux under kimono along with black satin ribbon woven through machine stitched button holes on the sleeves.
Scarlet Red Hakama pants with side vents, front and back ties and elastic leg closure. InuYasha's ears with pink felt interior and wired

USEFUL EXPLANATION (unsure of its accurate though, is it?):
Taken from a post made by Animeisha- In General its three parts, the Kimono, Juban (under white layer), and the pants. The Kimono isn't like most kimonos, because the Eri, or collar doesn't go all the way down...only to chest level, not to mention the sleeves are bell shaped and completely open, unlike traditional kimonos and haori. Unfortunately, there aren't any patterns for that kind of kimono, so it basically means studying pics really closely and trying different things with scrap fabric. The Juban is basically the same as the outer kimono, save for the slits that are present in the outer Kimono. The pants remind me of Hakama without pleats and gathered at the bottom, meaning a hakama pattern could probably be altered and you could use elastic at the ankles.

Other Cosplays for Reference:
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Cosplay0.jpg - see all of the costume here, great job
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Cosplay1.gif - Material is called Vermillion, costume looks dead on too
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Cosplay2.jpg - the back
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Cosplay3.jpg
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Cosplay4.jpg - Whoo, the contacts look good
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Cosplay5.jpg - The Vermillion costume looks better than plain cotton I'd say

Good Costume Shots:
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Costume1.jpg - is the white in the shoulder slits the kimono underneith (juban)
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Costume2.jpg
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Costume3.jpg - Those are hakama pants? and that white is part of the under Kimono (juban)?
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Costume4.jpg - Is the front supposed to be like that?( Just vertically folded side over side?) Theres something horrizontal accross his chest on his outer kimono in the anime it looks like (see in anime images)

Anime Images:
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Inuyasha1.jpg - Best anime costume shot, cant see that line across the chest I talkin bout though
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Inuyasha2.jpg - Those slits are just cut on the outter kimono and the visiblewhite is the under kimono?
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Inuyasha3.jpg - Whats that horizontal line across his chest!? That dosnt seem to be on anyones cosplay!
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Inuyasha4.jpg - Horizontal piece again! Is that in the Hitatare pattern above? Do I need it?
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Inuyasha5.jpg - IS this the JUBAN? The under kimono? wheres a pattern for it? Is it the same as the Hitatare???
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Inuyasha6.jpg - Juban again?
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Inuyasha7.jpg - Is the Hitatare patten the same as Inuyashas? Big bell sleeves and all?
Http://www.members.shaw.ca/dragonsanctuary/cosplay/Inuyasha8.jpg - What is that horizontal piece....?

Isaboo
07-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Ookay, I need a coffee and a little time here;

1. Is this what Inuyasha has? Yes, it is somewhat like the type of top Inuyasha wears. You could probably alter a pattern for it.

2. Does this pattern have the same Large sleeves that tie up that Inuaysaha has (commonly reffered to as bell sleeves it seems) or is this a fabrication? From pictures I've seen, no it doesn't. Inuyasha's only really get wider at around his elbow. The patterns seem to make the sleeves wide from where they're connected to the rest of the shirt.

3.The "Hitatare" does not seem to have the shoulder "slits" Inuyasha has on his top piece, are those just a fabrication to the Hitatare? Yes, those are indeed just a fabrication to the shirt. You can make them whichever way you want to, I personaly don't think there's a "specific" way to go about doing it. Just cut and hem I guess ^^;.

4. And also, what is the horizontal line on the chest part of this "Hitatare" Inuyasha wears? That is where the shirt is tied up (probably by a button or something). Instead of normal kimono tops, it's tied up fairly close to his neck.

5. Underneith Inuyashas top red part what is the white garment shown? It looks like the same thing as whats on top just without the slits, is this the case? It's a type of undershirt most kimonos have. It's very similar to the red shirt ontop, but not as baggy and without the slits.

6. Or is it actually called a "JUBAN"? I really couldn't tell you. I don't know enough about kimonos to know what the undershirt is.

7. Is this what can be seen through the slits in Inuyashas top red garment? and Is this the white part that can be seen through the slits on the side of Inuyashas pants? Yes, this is what makes the white in his slits. Although, I'm not sure about the ones in his pants. Those might be some sort of underpants or something.

8. It must be longer than shown if thats the case, if so, how long? It more or less likely is longer, how long I don't know. But it is tucked into his pants, so I don't think anyone knows how long it is really.

9. Does he also have the top red piece tucked in with it? It does look that way, and most cosplayers do tuck it in too. I'm guessing it probably is.

10. What are his pants? Are they really infact just plain Hakama as listed in the first patterns link shown below? They don't seem to be plain hakama pants, as they are much baggier and have a sort of elastic near the ankle. You could probably use an altered hakama pattern to make these.

11. Are the holes/slits on the sides revealing one of Inuyashas undergarments (possible "Juban")? Are these "Hakama" as Baggy/poofy as Inuyashas without any fabrication? The slits are probably showing some sort of undergarment. If it's what he's wearing as an undershirt, I really have no idea. Probably not though. The hakama pants aren't as poofy as Inuyasha's, so you will have to alter the pattern (if you're using one).

12. Are Inuyashas "Hakama" tied up on the bottom? If so, is this a fabrication? Is this part of the proper pattern? Yes, they seem to be tied up on the bottom. It is indeed a fabrication, and no, it's not in the proper pattern, I don't think.

Woo, I hope that helped you somewhat ^^;. You might find some more information here http://www.japanesekimono.com/kimono.htm .

Edit: The Useful Explanation seems pretty acurate. I wouldn't swear by it, but it does have the general idea of how to go about doing it.

Dragon-Emperor
07-08-2004, 11:47 PM
I've PM'd afew people I found to be knowledgable in other Inuyasha posts to view and comment on this one so hopefully they offer there advice sooner than later; if ever.

Well, Ive come to the conclusion that using Hakama is a good idea, and the hakama guide posted by Sarcasm seems very simple to follow! I just wonder if they'll poof up like Inuyashas after I add the tie straps at the bottom. Whats your take on this guys?
( Sarcasms hakama link : http://sarcasm.fanfic.org/hakamapattern.html )

I suppose (I could be wrong! tell me if I am!) the top peice for Inuyasha IS a "Hitatare". The pattern for it is listed in my first post in this thread as well, but I still am not sure... Can anyone offer any advice on how to make the sleeves as large as Inuyashas? What kind of alterations should I make to that pattern? Isaboo Mentioned above that Inuyashas sleeves to not get large until after the elbow, so would I change the pattern somehow to make the sleeves on the pattern tighter from shoulder to elbow, and then thicker from there on out?
(Hitare pattern link http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/graphics/patterns/hitatare.PDF?51,1 )

And can anyone list a specific way of how to make the shouder slits, and how to make them professional looking? Saying how big they should be and such would be most useful. Some of you have done this before afterall, I value everyones opinion on this board!
ALSO! what IS that horizontal strip across his chest on the Hitatare? Isaboo mentioned thats how the Hitatare is done up, with a button? I don't see this in the pattern so it must be an alteration. Could someone tell how exactly to make this alteration? What must be done? I have no clue....

As for the Undergarment.. IS this a Juban? I went on about that alot in my first post, I know lol. But I'd really like verification on a pattern to find for this peice.

Also, if the white part shown on the slits of Inuyashas Hakama are indeed the Juban since the juban is tucked in, wouldnt the Red Hitatare over top of it cover it up if it is also tucked in?

I really hope some more people reply to this thread, I also implore you to read my first post to answer anything from there if you can too. And PLEASE answer detailed, clearly and orderly just so if you answer something very good and I don't make sence of it due to my limited brain capacity, that way I wont ask it again even though its been answered.

Dendrobium_Zero
07-10-2004, 01:44 AM
That piece that goes across the front of the kimono might be an alteration of the hakama. If you added a piece of fabric in the front, you could make it come up to your chest. This is only an observation and I'm not sure if that's how it's really supposed to be.

R1KKu
07-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Dragon_Emperor, correct me if Im wrong (and I could be) but that pattern for the hitatare actually looks like a type of coat that goes over a kimono, and if I remember, its called a haori, but it could have multiple names, Im not all familiar with the names yet. His top is more like a kimono, and his sleeves are like bell sleeves, but I think they flare out right after the slits, not positive. His pants are in fact, hakamas, you can see the pleats, the tie, and of course, the slits on the sides. They do have that slight alteration at the bottom where they are scrunched in, and that can be done with elastic. For best poofiness of the hakamas, go with a type of fabric that isnt too thin, but isnt too thick,something that can somewhat hold a shape. If it helps, I used flannel for 3 different pairs, although I used a lot, they are REALLY poofy.

Almost positive on this, but the slits in the hakamas are supposed to show the under kimono, as well as the slits in the sleeves, although you might want to consider "faking" that with a small strip of fabric, or your sleeves could sag, its really your choice. Just a suggestion. From what Ive seen, that red piece on his red top looks like some sort of belt, but it doesnt go all the way around, I think it just ties on the side to keep it in place.

Ok, need coffee.

Dragon-Emperor
07-10-2004, 02:34 AM
Dragon_Emperor, correct me if Im wrong (and I could be) but that pattern for the hitatare actually looks like a type of coat that goes over a kimono, and if I remember, its called a haori, but it could have multiple names, Im not all familiar with the names yet. His top is more like a kimono, and his sleeves are like bell sleeves, but I think they flare out right after the slits, not positive.
Hmmm, you could be right. I'm not sure if this looks like Inuyashas dead on, but its the only thing I could partially agree with. I wonder if it really is a kimono now? Damn... Why are all the other Inuyasha cosplayers not replying? Lol I think my long posts have been scarying them off :thumbsup:
I'll look around at more kimonos and see if your idea would look better I think.

His pants are in fact, hakamas, you can see the pleats, the tie, and of course, the slits on the sides. They do have that slight alteration at the bottom where they are scrunched in, and that can be done with elastic. For best poofiness of the hakamas, go with a type of fabric that isnt too thin, but isnt too thick,something that can somewhat hold a shape. If it helps, I used flannel for 3 different pairs, although I used a lot, they are REALLY poofy.
Yes, I agree with you that these are Hakama now. They match all the criteria. But I'm not sure if I see the pleats >.< Ive seen other peoples Inuyahsa cosplays and it seems like they just forget the pleats. Where do they go? and dosnt the bottom of his pants tie up kind of like how it looks like his sleeves can?

Almost positive on this, but the slits in the hakamas are supposed to show the under kimono, as well as the slits in the sleeves, although you might want to consider "faking" that with a small strip of fabric, or your sleeves could sag, its really your choice. Just a suggestion.
Hmmm... I think I may end up "faking" it if my sleevs sag too much and block my under garment. One things Ive been confused about however is that... It looks like Inuyashas Undergarment, and his red top peice are tucked into his hakama. And through the hakama you can see the white from his undergarment. HOWEVER shouldnt one be able to see the red from his top instead, since its overtop of his undergarment? Or maybe the top peice is very short...

From what Ive seen, that red piece on his red top looks like some sort of belt, but it doesnt go all the way around, I think it just ties on the side to keep it in place.

Ok, need coffee.
I'm not sure... I mean, that red strip confuses me because in the pictures it looks like on the right its a party of his top peice and then wraps around the left side O.o so confusing! If it is a type of belt, i wonder how its mounted on... Common Inuyasha cosplayers! Reply! I have 1 week to make this thing >.<

Added question to my thread: That black string that runs across his top from on top of his shoulder to his waist.. where do those mount onto? You cant see it from his back at all, so it cant wrap around.. or does it?

Ryu-Ness
07-10-2004, 03:52 AM
I don't cosplay Inuyasha. Never will. HOWEVER I am making Kagome's red outfit..thus I have to work with Inuyasha's top. =) I suggest using a regular kimono body base for the pattern, and then constructing your own sleeves from scratch, adding the slits yourself.

Also..look closely at the photos. I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but there is a flap that goes across the front of his kimono and sort of ties off to the right side, starting at the left side. For this, I think I would suggest just cutting out some fabric and sewing it on to the side of the kimono, then pressing it so you can't seem the stitches..^__^; But I'm a sewing newbie, so...shoot me if I'm wrong. XD;

The color of the undershirt is biege. And is in the basic hakama pattern, and is WITHOUT flaring sleeves. Yes, they are basicly japanese sleeves which you see in all patterns..o_o;

~Good luck!! XD

Dragon-Emperor
07-10-2004, 04:21 AM
I don't cosplay Inuyasha. Never will. HOWEVER I am making Kagome's red outfit..thus I have to work with Inuyasha's top. =) I suggest using a regular kimono body base for the pattern, and then constructing your own sleeves from scratch, adding the slits yourself.

Also..look closely at the photos. I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but there is a flap that goes across the front of his kimono and sort of ties off to the right side, starting at the left side. For this, I think I would suggest just cutting out some fabric and sewing it on to the side of the kimono, then pressing it so you can't seem the stitches..^__^; But I'm a sewing newbie, so...shoot me if I'm wrong. XD;

SO basically use a normal Kimono pattern for Inuyashas red top, but making the sleeves get larger after the slit, right?

and YES! I've been asking about that strange flap that goes across Inuayshasa front! I have no clue what that is. But from the sound of it... I should make the red part out of the basic kimono pattern, and then sew on a rectanguar flap and then mount it on the side it folds onto.. how? I kind get what your saying. If anyone else can varify this that'd be cool too! Im very curious to what that flap is and how it is put on!

The color of the undershirt is biege. And is in the basic hakama pattern, and is WITHOUT flaring sleeves. Yes, they are basicly japanese sleeves which you see in all patterns..o_o;

Hakama pattern? do you mean its the basic kimono pattern like thered part, but just normal sleeves and no slits/flap? and its beige? :o I was sure it was white... Hmm you may be right!

More feedback appreciated people! I hae many more questions aboved, many answered partially, but second opinions count SO much in an unsure cosplay thread such as this

R1KKu
07-10-2004, 11:34 AM
I agree with Ryu-Ness. You would be better off using a regular kimono pattern but shortening it. Thats what Ive done with 3 diff outfits from the series. For that rectangular piece on his shirt, Im just going to cut out some fabric and sew it to the front, and either attach a button or a snap or just make it tie.

Hakamas do in fact, have pleats, whether or not other cosplayers put them in or not. They are up at the waist, and you can secure them with a stitch. The pleats, as well as the scrunch at the feet really seemed to help make the pants puffier for me. I dont know if the bottoms tie or something else, but I just ended up using elastic. Oh and the slits in the sides, Im questioning that myself about how it would show the red top. It would have to be short, as the belt would be the only thing covering it. Eh, I might just go ahead and "fake" that too.

The under kimono looks a bit white in the anime, but Im staring at a picture right now, and it looks like an off white/light beige color. Ill have to find that episode where he takes his shirt off *woo* Oh and the sleeves on that are basic sleeves.

If you need some help finding patterns, Here (http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Japanese/Clothes/japmake.htm) is the one I used for the hakamas. It was a bit confusing at first for me, but now I cant stop making them. And for the top, I used McCall's pattern 2940, which is a kimono pattern, although it might not be dead-on accurate, it still turned out really nice. You'll need to alter the sleeves and make the pattern shorter though.

Thats all I can think of right now.
Good Luck!

Dragon-Emperor
07-10-2004, 06:38 PM
I agree with Ryu-Ness. You would be better off using a regular kimono pattern but shortening it. Thats what Ive done with 3 diff outfits from the series. For that rectangular piece on his shirt, Im just going to cut out some fabric and sew it to the front, and either attach a button or a snap or just make it tie.

Hmm sounds like a good idea! On Inuyashas costume it just kinda looks like it comes out of no where. Do you think I should sew the non-detachable end of the flap under one arm and have it attach with a button under the other?

Hakamas do in fact, have pleats, whether or not other cosplayers put them in or not. They are up at the waist, and you can secure them with a stitch. The pleats, as well as the scrunch at the feet really seemed to help make the pants puffier for me. I dont know if the bottoms tie or something else, but I just ended up using elastic.

Ah that makes sence! The pleats + the scrunching at the bottom would really make it puffier, good idea! how many pleats do you recomend? Probably the same as in your hakama link I would imagine, right?

Oh and the slits in the sides, Im questioning that myself about how it would show the red top. It would have to be short, as the belt would be the only thing covering it. Eh, I might just go ahead and "fake" that too.

Hmm I'll see what I can do once I'm making the costume. Probably end up faking it, but I'll post full detailed picture results of what I end up with and how I did it.

The under kimono looks a bit white in the anime, but Im staring at a picture right now, and it looks like an off white/light beige color. Ill have to find that episode where he takes his shirt off *woo* Oh and the sleeves on that are basic sleeves.

I have some images of him without his red top in my first link under anime images, if that helps at all! I'm not sure iif I'll go white or beige... Every cosplay Ive seen uses white, and I'm, inclined to think white as well because his colours seem to match those of Kikyo, and she definately has red and white. (same colours as Inuyasha appears to have) so it could just be the lighting in certain scenes in the anime?

If you need some help finding patterns, Here (http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Japanese/Clothes/japmake.htm) is the one I used for the hakamas. It was a bit confusing at first for me, but now I cant stop making them. And for the top, I used McCall's pattern 2940, which is a kimono pattern, although it might not be dead-on accurate, it still turned out really nice. You'll need to alter the sleeves and make the pattern shorter though.

I just bought that pattern you suggested, and I thank you very much for that! I think its a very good pattern for this costume as well.
Do youthink I could use this pattern for the red top AND the under shirt? Looks like the 2 only have different sleeves, what do you think?

And now, having returned from the fabric store (Fabric Land - I live in Canada) I am unsure of what material to use for both his under garment, AND his red top/hakama. The materials I saw that matched Inuyashas colour well were:
RED TOP/HAKAMA
RedSatin - looked and felt great, but I fear it wont have the body to make poofy hakama pants and it will just rest against my legs (look bad)
Red Cuddle Satin - Same as normal satan, just feels even better =D
Red Felt - Looks like it has more than enough body, will poof up great and could pass as "fire rats fur" like it should be. Just unsure if it will be goot to work with and if it will be too hot maybe.
Red Brocade - Looks just as amazing as satin, and feels like it has a little more body. Quite expensive and hard to find without elequent patterns

White (possibly beige) Under Garment

No clue what to use. Probably white cotton? Is there a better selection? Cotton could look too thin...

Once again I'd like to thank you all for your help! I'm slowly grasping the concept of this Costume! You guys are Great!

Dendrobium_Zero
07-11-2004, 02:18 AM
I was considering cosplaying as Inuyasha as well, before I decided on Shishio. Just out of curiosity, what kind of material would you guys recommend for this costume?

R1KKu
07-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Whew! thats alot to go through....

Ok, to answer your first question,I think what you mentioned would be the best way, it looks like that flap stretches from left to right.I might just do that.

For the pleats, I think that tutorial shows a bit too many pleats for Inuyasha, but Im unsure how many he has, so I just did some trial and error to find what would work good. For mine, I made the pleats facing in towards the middle. On the left and right sides I have 4 pleats each, giving 8 pleats on the front and 8 on the back. Hope thats not too confusing. :eeek: *Ill get some pix up soon*

The pattern you bought can be used for both the red and white tops. The only difference is the sleeves. You can use the sleeves that came with the pattern for the white top, and then alter it as bell sleeves for the red top.

Now onto fabric. Your best choice is a cotton blend. Its up to you on this, but I wouldnt recommend satin, its too shiny *coughflannel* and too thin, and wouldnt hold its weight well, plus it wrinkles easily. Although I have used felt,and not too fond of it, I wouldnt go with that either, you would probably be itching yourself every 5 minutes, and youd get really hot in that. Brocade,as far as I know, only has the patterns on it, and yes its expensive, and making hakamas takes lots of fabric. For the white top, you might want to get something thinner if you plan on wearing that and the red top. I had someone recommend a fabric called peachskin, its really light and fluttery, not too expensive. I think its a polyester blend. Thats what I used for the undershirt.

Hmm, thats all I have for now. Wait! Ill post some pictures of costume progress on here to help you out a bit. Ill just edit this post with links once I get them up, k =D

Infini
07-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Okay, there are a lot of questions here, and even more long posts. I made an Inuyasha costume last year (there's a link to it in the first post, or there's a picture in my gallery if you're bored.) XD. I had the weird horizontal line on my costume, but it's a little difficult to see because my picture is blurry.

I have a clearer picture of my costume that I've been trying to scan in without success, so I'll edit this post later once my scanner is working again.
EDIT: Okay, I added my picture on. It's a little better quality, but still a little grainy and ugly. You can almost see the horizontal line thing.

For the pants, I used the wrong fabric, so I had to line it twice, and make a pair of felt pants to wear underneath so that they would be puffier. When I packed the costume for anime north, everything was squished and the hakama don't puff out any more. I would suggest finding a better method than what I did.

For the red top, I used the Butterick 6698 pattern, and just altered the sleeves to be bell-shaped. I didn't make them quite large enough, and after remaking them a couple of times with different linings, they ended up a little too small looking. Proper kimono sleeves (I think for a girl's kimono) get bigger after the elbow in a rectangle/square shape, but Inuyasha's sleeves get bigger after the slit. I had a white top for under the red top (I need to dye it beige still), which I had the slit on the red top tacked to so that it wouldn't sag. I would like to have them completely detached from each other, but I couldn't think of how to do that at the time.

As for the flap, it was a pain in the neck, and since I don't really know how to alter patterns, mine didn't fit quite right. I altered the pattern to include the flap, and sewed the collar on before stitching a seam for the flap thing. It's really hard to describe, so I drew a really sad picture. I had trouble with it because in any reference pictures I could find, it was all part of the left front piece of the top, and I didn't want a strange seam going down the front.

Remember that I have no computer image skills at all, and am terrible at explaining stuff. The attached image is pathetic, but hopefully you get the point. :)

Eleryth
07-12-2004, 01:00 AM
Ok, I guess I have enough information gathered to post... (warning, this is LONG)

I will answer in order I see fit. Sorry if this isn't intuitive, I'm just typing stuff here.

First, giving yourself one week might not be enough time - unless you're not working or in school, and have all day.

Second, my fabric suggestion is wool blend. He's wearing 'rat's fur', right? I think wool would have the right texture. It's heavier, holds pleats really well, and comes in a great bright red color. It's also a tad expensive (about $9/m regular price), though. If no wool blend, a heavy cotton should work. Currently, kimono and the like are being made of polyester (and silk, of course), but that's just for ease of cleaning. Stay away from satin - including for the underkimono.

Given that it's a "Historical" anime, I believe Inuyasha's outfit is based on Heian Era clothing. His outfit looks a bit similar to Fujiwara no Sai's from Hikaru no Go (the Fujiwara was at the end of the Heian era).

Heian era clothing image:
http://web.mit.edu/jpnet/kimono/index.html
- click history of kimono
- click ‘heian period’
- click on Noshi

Almost all of the following information following comes from the Sengoku Daimyo (http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.html) and the garb and outfit pages. The outfit in the attached image looked a lot like what IY is wearing. It’s called a zoushikinin sugata outfit (which was for servants, but hey, looks the same). I know it’s not exact, but the top could be modified. IY’s top looks like many ceremonial robes seen in anime (especially works by CLAMP; Subaru in white robes).

Hakama
First - there are many styles of hakama, not just 'one basic hakama' that everyone wore. It's like our pants - the general idea is the same, but the garments themselves have different styles.

If you go to the men's garment's section at the Daimyo, and scroll down, you'll see several types of hakama and tops. At first, I thought IY was wearing hitatare no hakama (http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/hakama1L.jpg), but then I saw the sashinuki (http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/sashinukixL.jpg). I think this is what IY is really wearing. If you read the description, it tells about how they are worn, and it sounds a lot like what he's wearing. It gives a wee bit of info about how to make them (the length and size compared to regular hakama), so that's a bit helpful. By counting the seams in his pants, they’re at least 4 panel (5 would be weird, as it’s usually even numbers). 4 is probably good, since there are no pleats that I can see (and never have seen). Note that a panel is about 27-30 cm wide (about a foot, if you’re American), and that’s 4 panels PER LEG (2 in the front, 2 in the back). You might have to put in pleats or just to make it small enough at the waist. His pants are obviously not the crotchless type of hakama (sometimes they didn’t sew the crotch seam shut to make it easier to go to the bathroom). The crotch on his pants is also not as low as usual hakama, so the length of the white juban doesn’t have to be full length, so you can accommodate that.

Juban/under kimono
The white showing in the slits (both sashinuku and top) is the juban/under kimono. YES, that white thing in some of your images IS the juban. It’s why the crotch on hakama is usually so low, because they wear full length juban underneath. It can be made of cotton, linen, silk, or other light fabric. Stay away from polyester – with layers, it’s HOT (trust me on this one- my current kimono and juban are polyester blends). It’s a full length, but folded up a bit more at the waist to shorten it to the knees (you could just make it shorter, actually). It can either come with a collar like a kimono, or without (and then use a fake collar), and you wrap it like a kimono, and you tie it similarly to a kimono. You don’t need an obi for this part; it’s usually sashes and the like (thin ones, about 1 – 1.5 inches wide). This is shown in Norio Yamanaka’s Book of Kimono, if you wanted to check your local library for it. You might also be able to find images online – I thought someone posted some once in a thread. Maybe see if you can find ‘sailor mo’s’ website. From the Daimyo: “The undergarment kosode of Heian and Kamakura was invariably white; Muromachi and Momoyama versions were patterned.” I would say then, that even if it looks off-white, it’s supposed to be white in truth (if his garment is really based on the Heian period). My juban has openings at the sides near the sleeve/armpit, and open sleeves; I don't see this in the images. Make it however you want (it's just easier to get the front to sit properly with the openings). A kosode pattern should work for this, as it's the precursor to the juban.

EDIT: Having just watched the latest opening, it does look beige! Could the color have changed recently? I personally think white would look better - cripser and cleaner.

Hakama and Kimono Pattern site
The hakama then go overtop of the obi that ties on the “kimono”. A good basic pattern for more authentic hakama can be found here (http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Japanese/Clothes/japmake.htm) (Sarcasm has also recommended this site). It also has kimono pattern and women’s hakama (and men’s, of course). You could probably use the kimono pattern for the juban. The woman who runs it is a member of the SCA, so I’m sure her stuff is fairly accurate. If the Daimyo has a pattern, that would also be accurate. He’s done a lot of research. I notice in the large bell sleeves that there’s no juban showing, though (and it should, if his sleeves are really that long and white). You could either alter it so the sleeves are shorter (perhaps elbow length?) add on red to the end, or bell the white. They’re usually not short sleeved, as far as I know, though; but keep in mind I only dress with modern kimono. Modern ones, however, have white sleeve until about midbicep, then it changes to Velcro, and then I Velcro on my sleeve to the length I need it. You could easily just sew on a red lining (or not bother, I guess; the choice is yours).

Regarding modern patterns (Simplicity, butterick), they look good enough for a costume, but if you're worried about accuracy, they won't do. Kimono cloth comes on bolts about 30 cm/1 foot wide, so they use the width to make the kimono. There are no seams at the shoulder (top of shoulder), either. I haven't used the pattern that has a lady in a 'housecoat' kimono, though - it seemed rather confusing. A good book to look at might be 'how to make your own Japanese clothing' by John Marshall. It could be a great supplement (but not a be-all end-all).

IY’s Top
Some of the tops on the Daimyo page have similar sleeves to IY’s, so it was difficult to figure out which one I think it’s most like (remember, this is MY opinion, not fact). The Heian Era clothing, once again, came fairly close. It has the same sleeves (this is also explained in Yamanaka’s book – the ties were used to close the sleeves for hunting; same with the bottom of the pants). I do not think it’s a hitatare, but something more like a kariningu, but not as long. I can’t seem to find anything exactly the same as what IY wears, though, so guaranteed you’re going to have to modify some pattern to make what you’re after.

For his top, based on the images I have found, I would make the body like a kimono, but the sleeves like from the Heian era garments (pick one that looks the closest). Sewing the shoulders will be the hardest, since real kimono aren’t sewn for about 10 inches down the side seam, to help arrange the kimono properly. I think sewing that shut and sewing the sleeves on underneath would be easiest. You could probably use boning or light wire to keep the sleeves where they are (sew it into the hem). The front flap, I’d make separately, and attach it with the frogs (attachments on the front). I would probably tack it down left sides, but maybe not (depends how it all works; I can’t say since I’m not in the process of actually making one). The hakama are tied quite high, so it should hold that part on, too. And since it (the shirt) goes UNDER the pants, he probably has an obi holding it on, too, which means the front bib would be tied under that and held in place as well. The obi would be a men’s obi (smaller), and tied in the back. This is also demonstrated in Yamanaka’s book (I’m pretty sure it is). The front panel piece would be tucked in, but since the slits in his hakama are fairly small, you wouldn’t see it at all.

IY image that shows weird lines on the top that might help you plan it out to sew it
http://www.wfu.edu/users/gutmpd0/inuyasha.jpg. Or, it could just be a weird image.

Looking at this, you can see how far down the shoulder slits go (which are not on the top of the shoulders, but where kimono sleeve seams are – at least an inch lower than usual shirts. The front piece very obviously comes across from his left side, so I’d suggest sewing it into the seam there, then, when you sew the kimono together, and using frogs to keep the top done up (you can fake the frogs with Velcro, or snaps, or something). Make the red collar a full collar. (The collar on a kimono does not go all the way down like on the...um, butterick pattern, I think; it stops at about the knees). You could always make the top shorter, like the Akome...

If you're worried about the white showing, it's probably easier to just wrap white around your waist before tying on the hakama, or something, on top of the kimonos.

Um, yeah. That’s it for now.

Hope that helped.

Tenya Muyo
07-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Well..... many before me have already answered the your questions really well. I don't want to repeat anything, but I'll just make my points real quick about how i did it:

The Top:
Yeah, if you just take a kimono top pattern (i got the one from Simplicity), and make alterations to the sleeves and how long it is, you're fine. The sleeves i just made the pattern out of wax paper and put it onto the original kimono pattern. I've seen people fake the slits, and i really don't agree wtih that, but if you feel they will not work for you, go ahead and fake it. ^_^ However depending on what kind of fabric you use, the slits could work (go with like a cotton mix; it's stiff enough, but kinda flows too). Slits with fray check to keep from raveling is what i did, or you could do button holes! That strange little flap i never made. :thumbsup: For you, it would just be an extra peice to add on, shouldn't be too hard. A note on the sleeves: i used 1/4" ribbon laced into the sleeves (add fray check to the slits there too!). I ended up using the wrong color 'cause i was staring at manga pictures instead of anime! :thumbsup: It's black, not purple.

Under the Top:
Yes, another kimono type jacket (juban) is under there. I didn't make mine, it's an old gee top from when i use to take karate! That's usually a good alternative if you don't feel like sewing another kimono. You can either buy a whole new white kimono from a store (check you budget, this can be an exspensive route) or check out second hand stores. Wether you sew it or buy it, make sure that it hangs to about your thigh/lower thigh.

Pants
Pantsu! Pantsu! :p Alternated hakamas are a good route. Don't have that pattern?? I altered the Simplicity kimono pants pattern for this. You'll have to find was of making the pattern bigger so that they come out baggy. Cut slits on the side, add strips of your fabric as the belts, and then elastic at the feet. I stared at this pictures for a bit to get an idea of how they should look: http://luxnova.home.mindspring.com/samuraigame/6g.html For an added bonus, the site somehwere has how you can tie the hakamas too, which can be a challenge!

That's all i can say about the hanyou! ^_^ You've really done your homework here, I appluad you!! :jjacks: If you have any questions to my post, or on wigs, nails, etc., by all means PM me. Gambate-o, Dragon-Emperor!!!

Con Queen
07-12-2004, 03:47 PM
How does one creat such a sword from scratch? I really would like to create one.

:woah: :woah: :woah:

Infini
07-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Inuyashas Sword: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=28010

There's a link to the tessaiga tutorial in the first post of this thread.

-Infini

Dragon-Emperor
07-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Wow! So much more information! All of you guys are absolutely wonderful! To be honest, yesterday morning I went out and picked up some materials, so I didn't get a chance to see these posts, otherwise I think I may have went with a wool blend such as Eleryth suggested.

What I ended up doing was asking for "Peach Skin" like R1KKu suggested. What I was directed to said 100% cotton I beleive, but it said "Peach Finish". This material felt quite good in my opinion, and was at 50% off (so it was only $6 Canadian per yard, metre, whatever the unit was) so I really couldnt pass it up! Right there was the white and the red that were identical to the many pictures I brought with me to Fabric Land! I ended up buying 2.7metres of the white and i beleive 8 metres of the red.

I'm starting the costume tonight, and with my deadline being this friday I think I really must hurry lol. The suggestion and answers to my problems have helped INFINITELY!

As much as I'd much rather prefer to look into some more research and find the autentic patterns such as Eleryth suggested, my time frame is really prohibiting that. I beleive I shall make the juban right now, and then the red hakama (still not sure which hakama pattern to use! I have afew great choices now thanks to all of you). The hardest part I beleive will be the Red top. Why? I must decide upon which method to take to tackle the "flap" problem, as I have afew good suggestions here, and I must also perform my first alteration by expanding the sleeves for the red top as well.

I'll be seeing about making my tetsuiga tomorrow during the day if I can find all the materials, and I will be going to the optomatrist for yellow contacts as well! Hopefully the contacts dont run me a fortune. I beleive nail extensions from the drug store will b fine if i shape them and give them a white finish.
And then, I must find a wig around town as well as adding the ears to it.

I know this message sounds more like a blog than anything, But I intend to record my whole costume instructions best i can with photos and detailing how I did things and such. hopefully the finished product looks good! I'll leave that for all you to decide though.

And if I have any problems, you can bet I'll be posting here again.

rayn
07-13-2004, 05:24 AM
I made an Inuyasha costume for my fiance. I'm completely obsessed eith the anime and have a book that explains his costume. It consists of the kimono type shirt called a haori with an undershirt and hakamas. It's based of the outfits some priests wore during festivals. I used your message to number tha answers.

THE QUESTIONS
1)The sleeves of the undershirt are not bell sleeves. If you watch the second or third episode, yoe get to see him without his haori. The sleeves are those of a normal shirt.

2) I;m not sure what it's called, but the undershirt is what you see in the slits of his haori and hakamas.

3) Inuyasha's hakamas havew a double bow. Basically, you lace two ties, one in each side of the hakamas. You then tie it in front and back. They are the traditonal hakamas.

R1KKu
07-15-2004, 01:04 AM
I shoulda brought This (http://www.inu-yasha.themoon.co.uk/inu/inu177.jpg) up earlier in my posts. It looks like some official sketches. If you look at the smaller pictures you can see how that flap and the sleeves look.

PinSakura
07-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Oh my gawd.. You're a life saver Dragon Emperor..

This topic was so usuful, thanks a lot! ^_^

Oy: One question...

How do you get the ears to stay on your head...?

Inuyasha_Kun
11-05-2005, 08:31 AM
note: The beige under kimono type thing is actually called a Yukata......
and also note that the outfit that he wears is made from the hair of a fire rat... *blinks blinks* Anyway...

kkoganei1328
11-07-2005, 01:36 PM
If i saw this earlier, i would've referred you here: http://www2.big.or.jp/~bkmoon2/inu/
this is her website: http://www21.big.or.jp/%7Ebkmoon/

..........too much fabric. you can actually make two inuyasha costumes with that amount ^^;; i bought four yards of red velvet for mine and still had a bit left over. But o well, better to be safe than sorry right? as for finishing, you should have no problem. I finished Seshoumaru and Inuyasha in a week. Inuyasha took a day. my inu costume came out ok (not good enough still), but seshy, ::hides in shame:: here's a pic though: http://www.usagichan.com/AX2003/cosplay062.htm in the pic, one of the ribbons came off --;;.

x_InuYasha_x
11-07-2005, 06:26 PM
ok, about Tetesusaiga..... (i had access to a woodshop) i made my Tetsusaiga out of pine. I'm gonna post a pic later if i can, but i gotta find the pic from Animefest 05.....so gimme a minute and i'll post the link....

x_InuYasha_x
11-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Mwuahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!1111!!!11!!!1!oneoeneoneo neone!!11!! http://skypirate.net/cosplay/images/af2005/050903_0527.htm

swordman85
11-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Hey Rayn,

You said in your previous post you have a book on how to make Inuyasha's outfit. I was wondering if you would be able to scan the pages and email them to me. My email is adam_culp@hotmail.com. There are great descriptions and everything on here but I really need things layed out plainly without having to make alterations.

Thanks

Eleryth
11-27-2005, 11:35 PM
note: The beige under kimono type thing is actually called a Yukata......

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. A yukata is a type of "summer kimono", usually made of cotton, for men or women. It originated as a robe they wore when they were on their way to the bath or at the onsen, and eventually became more common and acceptable as real wear (not just in the house or at onsens or inns).

It's got basically the same lines as a kimono, but it's unlined and cotton, whereas kimono are usually silk and come lined (unless it's a true summer kimono, in which case I believe it's made of a type of "gauzy" silk called "ro" and is somewhat see-thru). A kimono is worn with an underkimono AKA a juban (or nagajuban), whereas yukata are worn without.

So the term you're looking for for the undergarment is juban.

Tenebrae
11-28-2005, 07:09 PM
How do you get the ears to stay on your head...?

If you're wearing a wig, you can sew them right into the wig itself like I did with my Teneko wig - catgirl, but the same method should work for other animal ears..
I made my ears separately and then used a curved needle and matching thread to stitch them into the mesh base of the wig. My cat ears are somewhat flat and so are not stuffed. I used 18 gauge galvanized steel wire bent into a triangle with a curved base so the ears could stand up on their own.
If you're not wearing a wig...you can always use a headband.
I've also seen a diagram for making a very full and fancy Inu Yasha wig that involved a headband underneath the wig with holes cut into the mesh for the ears to poke out of. The wig also involved using an entire short wig for the impossibly full Rumiko Takahashi bangs (freaky!) and two whole long wigs for the base.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Just went back and read through this whole thing...
Eleryth, I arrived at the exact same conclusion you did regarding the pants and also think they must be sashinuki.
On the subject of the juban, you can see it very well in the Yura of the Demon Hair episode early on. The sleeves are full length and just normal rectangular sleeves - not too wide, not too loose. You can also see Kagome wearing the red fire rat shirt over her head and the flap that extends from the left hand side. Maybe the black string is to help hold the flap in place...

-Tenebrae.

xanthis
10-04-2007, 01:51 PM
i need help finding how much it would cost just for 4 yards of white cotten and red silk for its out...im kinda a nube to the cosplay so plese dont flame me... thanks....

Bahzi
10-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Well first off, this is a 2 year old thread, you probably should have made a new one, but you're new, so it's all good. ^^ Welcome btw!

I'm not actually sure what silk costs these days, because other than silk dupioni, most fabric sotres around me don't sell silk. ^^;

A decent cotton runs about $4-5 a yard, depending on where you are, so about $12-20 for that, and if you were to use silk dupioni, you're probably looking at at least $15 a yard full price (though you can sign up for mailed coupons from most fabric stores), so $60 for 4 yards, though I'm thinking for the red you'd need more than 4 yards (and less of the white for the undershirt).

For Shippo's pants alone (which are similar in poffiness to Inuyasha's) I used 3 yards of fabric, so I'd say to go with 6 yards of fabric for Inu's red fire rat outfit. So, for the silk, possibly $100 just for fabric.

That said, I'm not sure silk would look all that great for Inuyasha. I would think linen, poplin, twill, or some other cotton would work better....and be cheaper too.

Hope that helps some.

Aoi v1
10-11-2007, 05:58 PM
wow, this thread was pretty useful (i read almost every post) i'm a newb to cosplay and i chose inuyasha as my very first cos >_> now i see it's not an easy one... i already got the materials for the costume and ears, but i haven't found a wig :( since halloween is just around the corner i hope i can find a cheap one on wallmart (those weird witch costums wigs) i'll post some pics when i get it done!

rem11
11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
wow, this thread was pretty useful (i read almost every post) i'm a newb to cosplay and i chose inuyasha as my very first cos >_> now i see it's not an easy one... i already got the materials for the costume and ears, but i haven't found a wig :( since halloween is just around the corner i hope i can find a cheap one on wallmart (those weird witch costums wigs) i'll post some pics when i get it done!

same here :/