PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else volunteering?

jetspectacular
07-08-2004, 03:27 PM
I've found that the best/most fun/ CHEAPEST way to beat the badge price and get in preview night was by volunteering.. This will be my 3 year doing so, and Im encouraging others as well!

It's a great way to beat the lines, thats for sure. You work 3 hours on the days your want badges too (including preview night, i you wish) and it's generally very easy and fun meeting others also.

anyone else planning on volunteering? I'm going ot be in my Pip costume most of the time whilst working, maybe i should work on an accent ^.^''

Dawn
07-13-2004, 01:16 PM
I'll be volunteering! It'll be my first time volunteering and attending ComicCon. lol I could use some advice ;_;

Knight_Survive
07-13-2004, 03:21 PM
(rases hand)4th year and running ^_^

Dawn-advice wise,here's what I recomend:

dont work "On site" it will be 3 hours of pure hell if you work the On Site regestation line. Do what im doing and work Programing,you'll have a better time,trust me :bigtu:

jetspectacular
07-13-2004, 08:41 PM
best advice is to come early on your first day (around 7-8am) so you can sign up for the first shift you want since it's firstcome first serve. I have one onsite a bunch of times, it's not that bad, sometimes you handle boxes (if you can lift them) to restock each desk's goodie bags or check in attendees. Sometimes you check in professionals/guests of honors, or just tally the turnstile numbers for the total number of people who attended. Other morning shifts can be "prep" shifts like walking around outside the exhibit hall moving signs... or prepping rooms for panels.

most of the afternoon jobs are good in programming though, like Knight says. If you're lucky you can get to volunteer at a panel you were planning to go to anyway, but it's mostly assisting the speaker, giving time signals or running the lights, sometimes closeing the door to latecomers.

eveing shifts I dont know about, since I always had morning or early afternoon shifts, but in the evenings at 5pm the volunteer booth is open for next day scheduling, so keep your own sched clear for that time period (sometimes it may take up to 30-45 min to sign up for next day shift because of the line)

all in all though, I think it's worth it, even on-site.

pegasusmaiden
07-14-2004, 03:49 AM
how do you volunteer? I want to try it out, can you volunteer in costume? ^^

xiaolong
07-14-2004, 04:44 AM
Can you volunteer after you pre-registered? I already paid for Saturday and Sunday tickets, but I'm wondering if I can get a refund by volunteering.

jetspectacular
07-14-2004, 01:48 PM
I dont think you can get a refund by volunteering, Xiaolong.. at least i've never heard of it, but you can always volunteer ^.^'' (try next year, i suppose?) if you decide you want to/can go during friday or thursday you can try it.

to volunteer at the convention is easy, but may take a bit more time because priority goes to people who have signed up beforehand, so chances of getting your ideal timeslot may go down. You need to be at least 16 and sign certain waivers when you're there (that's what holds up the line) but You can --and many do-- sign up at the con on the day you want to volunteer. The volunteer desk is always in the same place, it should be right at the front, at Exhibit Hall A on the bottom floor next to luggage check in and post office.

yes, you can volunteer in cosplay, but you may be asked to put aside props/weapons while "on duty," and try not to be in a costume that constricts your mobility. Can't wear a mask on duty eithier, but makeup is ok. and that makes a lot of sense, you need both hands. There's places to keep drop off stuff, though.

ycysusan2001
07-16-2004, 02:17 AM
Im sure that U can not got any refund for the ticket even U work for 3 hours

xiaolong
07-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Shoot! Oh well, maybe next time ^^ I think it'll be nice to explore the con without being tied down by other obligations anyway, since this will be my first time.

Rogue Marvel
07-16-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm planing on volunteering this year. But I missed the early regestration deadline -_-

What time should I show up for onsite sign up in order to get a everything taken care of asap?

jetspectacular
07-16-2004, 06:47 PM
what day were you thinking of to sign up on? I dunno about on thurs/preview night, but if you come friday morning around 8am you can sign up like normal people. even if you do come too early, it's not like there's nothing to do in downtown for 2 hours until the floors open

Rogue Marvel
07-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Oh..I'm coming in wensday (isn't that preview night, isn't comic con is a 4 day con?) and I want to sign up everyday since I don't have money for a badge this year

I shall see if I can just come in early thursday or maybe I'll go with my mom to get her badge and see what I can do then

Dawn
07-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Is the check-in at the volunteer desk on a daily basis? Or do you get all your assignments the first time you check in? I know that you have to go to the volunteer desk a few minutes before your assignments, but I wasn't sure about how the volunteer check-in works ^^;

jetspectacular
07-18-2004, 04:11 AM
"check in" is different from "Sign up." signup requires you sign certain forms saying you're over 16 and you're not legally insane and all that jolly stuff, then you get assignments each day you come, not all assignments on one day. that's why it's important that if you want to get your ideal shift, make ure you sign up for itthe day before. during the con (thurs-sun) that usually means 5pm at the volunteer desk, but you can come the morning/afternoon of any day and sign up... there's ALWAYS shifts open, it's a huge con and there's such a need for workforce x.X

and that's right, preview night is on the 21, and I"m pretty sure you can volunteer on the spot, or at least go in and Sign Up and schedule for a shift on thursday, the first day of con. There's actually shifts on the 20th also x.X but there's no real need to sign up for those because those are people who signed up way early who love volunteering forsome odd reason.. (not me, hahaha)

hehe almost time, peeps. Hope to see some of you friday ^.^'

work for 12 hours and you get a free tshirt...!

Rogue Marvel
07-18-2004, 12:04 PM
awsome..thanks for all the great info

I think I will go wensday with my mom when she gets her stuff and try to sign up then

Yuna
07-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Just show up at the volunteer desk on Thursday and say you want to work, they'll give you a time and get you your badge. You don't necessarily need to pre-reg for volunteering, Luigi ALWAYS needs more hands and is always greatful for more volunteers.

pegasusmaiden
07-19-2004, 02:06 PM
So do they let you volunteer in costume? Or is there a dress code. complete noob at this. -_-

jetspectacular
07-19-2004, 02:31 PM
volunteering in cosplay is tricky because it depends on the costume. Obviously if the costume is mostly street clothes and you dont need to pay attention to it every 5 seconds then yesh, but dresses or costumes with several layers may be a problem. just make sure you can walk, run, stretch and/or sit on the floor in costume and you should be good to go. No props or masks though while working.