PDA

View Full Version : xxxHolic/Tsubasa's Fai.

Roanoah
07-13-2004, 12:06 AM
In Volume 1 of Tsubasa, Fai's outer-outer coat (the one that's a little more than floor length) is plain, except for a design on the upper part of the sleeve, but on the cover of the fourth volume's special edition, it's got blue ribbony swirly designs plastered all over it. Are these supposed to be on the coat, only were too elaborate to draw in every panel of the manga, or are they just an addition that CLAMP decided to draw in for the special cover?

And in either case, how do I draw/sew them on?

Any help very much appreciated.

indie_chixor
07-13-2004, 02:21 AM
If you notice all the charachters, clamp decided to keep changing their outfit for every non-manga shot. Its crazzzy.

All the little mini-covers between the chapters have the charachters in different clothes....
i guess even Anime charachters need to mix it up a bit, ne?

In responce to the second part, If you buy fabric paint, that would probably work the best...its very good for detailed projects. make sure its Fabric paint though- little plastic bottles with tips on the top. That makes sure it stays on even after many washings ^_^

Ringo
07-13-2004, 10:36 AM
They just like to make it hard for us cosplayers. XD I had the same problem with Yuuko there are slight variations in all of her designs so I just picked the one I liked it and went with that. ^_^
As for the designs I tend to go with applique which isn't as hard as it sounds. You can buy heat'n'bond by the yard and draw out your designs then iron the two fabrics together. If you like you can put trim around the edges or use a satin stich (on the machine) to protect the edges. Of course this method won't work as well if you decide to go with fuzzy material. XD

Roanoah
07-13-2004, 11:08 PM
*Takes notes.*

Thanks for the help; do you know of any brands of fabric paint that work better (than others)?

Oh, and...I've never used heat'n'bond before, so I'm really not sure...what do I look for on the packaging? [Or is that the brand name?]

More thanks~.

[By the way, that's a great Yuuko...]

Roanoah
07-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Oh, and on a related note...

http://penny-dreadful.nu/blueskies/monomedia/scans/ytankoubon004.jpg

There's a picture of Fai and his staff. *Cough.* I'm wondering how to make it, and I'd like to stay away from cardboard and foam, or at least keep those as last resorts, since I don't know how I'd be able to cut it out of wood (I have no tools). I'm a bit short on resources...are there any materials that could potentially be used for it?

Thanks...once again.

Ringo
07-15-2004, 01:00 AM
You can buy Heat'n'bond or Steam-a-seam in smaller sheets or by the yard. The stuff by the yard is definatly what you need for that many large designs. You can find it mixed in with the interfacing. They should know about it if you ask at you local store. ^_^

Roanoah
07-15-2004, 01:04 AM
Awesome...thanks so much, Apple-san.

*Is lame for making that joke.*

Ringo
07-15-2004, 01:08 AM
lol
That's my name. ^_^-v
Although most people don't relize what it actually means.

As far as props go I'm no master, but I hear people have good luck with foam core and foam filler, plus some creative painting. Ganbattene!
Maybe head over the props forum and poke around in there. ^_^

Roanoah
07-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Props forum...derr.

Rampant stupidity. >< Danke.

Traeonna
09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
In Volume 1 of Tsubasa, Fai's outer-outer coat (the one that's a little more than floor length) is plain, except for a design on the upper part of the sleeve, but on the cover of the fourth volume's special edition, it's got blue ribbony swirly designs plastered all over it. Are these supposed to be on the coat, only were too elaborate to draw in every panel of the manga, or are they just an addition that CLAMP decided to draw in for the special cover?

And in either case, how do I draw/sew them on?

I saw a really good coat at Otakon and they had sewn it on top of the coat. It looked really slick. But hey, whatever works for you is what I say, but I'm one who likes to have functional costumes...meaning...I like mine to be more of garment quality...so I can wear them anytime I want. Yes, I'm known to wear my Robin coat out in public.

Now as to the reasoning behind costume changes...from what I have read/heard, most mangaka will keep the costuming within the pages of the manga relatively simple due to having to replicate it over and over...I mean, the more detail...the more pain in the butt it is, right?! Cover art is usually more detailed. Then we have artbook stuff... Personally, I like it only because there's more to choose from. I personally like the challenge of doing art images versus stuff found in the manga or anime. I'm doing the art image of Sakura from Tsubasa just because I want all the extras...sure, I could settle for the manga/anime outfit that is simpler, but that's no fun!

Tohma
09-21-2005, 11:02 PM
For my coat I just did the normal manga version and not the very detailed cover version of the coat simply because You don't get a good view of the entire coat from the back. I basically just did what was suggested above and cut out the designs in the blue fabric and then sewed them on.

As for the staff. Mine is wood, so I can't help you out too much since you said you can't use wood ^^;; I would try using foam board and acetate plastic. Thats what I use for many of my props and the combination works really well. By using the foam board as the center and the acetate as the outside it is stable and gives you a nice smooth look.

Traeonna
09-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Everything I was going to suggest for making the prop is pointless since you said you don't have adequate tools. Most props that I would make would be a combination of various plastics (PVC, styrene, acrylic, resin).

Regan
10-10-2005, 02:04 PM
I saw a really good coat at Otakon and they had sewn it on top of the coat. It looked really slick. But hey, whatever works for you is what I say, but I'm one who likes to have functional costumes...meaning...I like mine to be more of garment quality...so I can wear them anytime I want. Yes, I'm known to wear my Robin coat out in public.

Hee... someone remembers me! ^___^

The way I did the pattern for my coat involved a lot of cutting, a lot of spot glueing, and a whoooole lot of sewing. Nothing was particularly hard, though it took about three weeks of work to get the whole thing done. Roanoah (or anyone), you're still looking for a how-to, I can whip up a v. quick tutorial of how I made mine if you'd like. ^^ ( Here's the final product (http://cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=99628))

~Regan

Random Karen
10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Regan, I bow down to you! *bows low* Oy, I'm working on my own Fai and I'm not sure I could handle sewing all that. I have plenty of time before I need it finished, but the intricacy would drive me nutso. ^_^ If I feel truly motivated, I"ll try it, but only after I finish the rest. So if you'd like to make a tutorial, or even just offer up a drawing of what the back looks like, I'd be interested.

If I ever met you as Fai, I'd so glomp you! :rofl: I'm green with envy! Very well done!

Traeonna
10-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Roanoah (or anyone), you're still looking for a how-to, I can whip up a v. quick tutorial of how I made mine if you'd like. Here's the final product (http://cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=99628)

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in that. I have a friend that will be doing Fai (since I'm doing Sakura and possibly another friend doing Tomoyo). Heck, I have no reason to cosplay Fai, but I just love the coat. If I had the time/money, I'd so just make it so I could wear it. I'm such the dork.

Laurelin
10-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Erm... this may sound odd, but I have never seen any pics of men cosplaying Fai, I wondered if anyone knows of someone who has? I ask because I'm making the costume for my boyfriend and he might (correct that, he WILL) feel silly...

I am planning on laying the blue fabric over the white, then doing machine stitching around the edges of the design and trimming off the excess. should be the best way to ensure that the fabric stays flat and the grain is all in the right direction. (I'm a perfectionist so if the grain or something was slightly off it would really bug me).

Also, this is kinda random, but I'm doing Chi's costume from the beginning (I think the reference I'm using is on the inside cover of vol. 2), and I can't decide how low at the back it should be, any ideas? Thanks.

Traeonna
10-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Erm... this may sound odd, but I have never seen any pics of men cosplaying Fai, I wondered if anyone knows of someone who has?

I know a guy that will be cosplaying Fai this coming year. I have not seen too many either. I think most guys are intimidated by pretty boys. LOL. They only want to cosplay manly men. Occasionally you'll find that secure guy who doesn't give a rat's tail about such things...

Tohma
10-12-2005, 10:08 PM
There was a guy at the Otakon gathering dressed as Fai ^_^ Just look in the Tsubasa section of my gallery and at the Fai photoshoots and you'll see him ^^ I believe in our Fai line he was the last one, or next to last one.

Regan
10-14-2005, 10:46 PM
So if you'd like to make a tutorial, or even just offer up a drawing of what the back looks like, I'd be interested.

If I ever met you as Fai, I'd so glomp you! :rofl: I'm green with envy! Very well done!

Gah, took me long enough, but here's the tutorial! ^_^ http://onthebear.gothichamlet.com/faitut.html Just a quick little thing... it turned out that I somehow accidently deleted all of my in-progress pictures... which makes me cry. ^^; Right now there's only a smaller sketch of the design I used, but I'll root about for my big version of what I used for the entire back (it's around here somewhere I know!)

~Regan

Runi-Chan
08-15-2006, 10:14 AM
....does anyone have reference pictures of Fai's outfit beneath the giant coat of fluffiness? That's all I really see topics on, and I need some reference pictures of the coat with tails, and such.

Adonai
08-15-2006, 11:12 AM
you rarely see under the coat in the manga, but he doesnt allways have it on in the anime (plus youcan see the colour (where as it would have to be cover art for manga)

he is fighting without his coat in the intro to season 2 (tsubasa) so that should be good for refrences

Runi-Chan
08-15-2006, 11:14 AM
I just wanted to know if those swirling designs on the coat were only on the tails of his shirt beneath the coat. I have a pretty decent idea of how the shirt is (almost the same as what I need to make for Ulquiorra); I was just unsure about the designs.
I can't seem to find a good image of the front of his shirt, or the undercoat, for that matter..

I do like the colors that were picked for the anime...I likes blue and white. XP

Random Karen
08-15-2006, 08:26 PM
I just wanted to know if those swirling designs on the coat were only on the tails of his shirt beneath the coat. I have a pretty decent idea of how the shirt is (almost the same as what I need to make for Ulquiorra); I was just unsure about the designs.
I can't seem to find a good image of the front of his shirt, or the undercoat, for that matter..

I do like the colors that were picked for the anime...I likes blue and white. XP

There is detailing (just a bit) on that tail coat, but only in the manga. And quite possibly only in the art/cover pictures (I'd have to check). There's just a bit behind his head on the collar and at the bottom of the tails. If you want to do the anime version, you don't have to do any detailing. I have some reference pictures of his tail coat and what I like to call his robe (second layer w/ sash) if you still need some, but I don't have any of the detailing as that's only in the manga.

Runi-Chan
08-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Ah, okay. I think I'm going to go with no detailing, unless I get money unexpectedly. ^.^ Or if I feel all fancy and stuff. XP

And any reference pictures at all would be very welcome.

Tohma
08-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Actually the only time I ever saw any detailing on the shirt was in the first opener. There was just a couple swirls at the bottom of the tails. That was it. In the manga it doesn't have any detailing at all. None of the outfit does except for the swirls on the upper part of the sleeves of the outer coat. The only time you see any sort of insane scroll work is on that artbook/manga cover picture.

When i saw the opening of the show I was shocked when I saw the detailing on the shirt. I had already made my costume like 8 months before the show was even out in Japan and when I saw that I went back and looked through the manga to make sure I hadn't just left out that detail.

Runi-Chan
08-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Oh, really? Neat...I saw that cover and just about died. I was like, "....HO. Meh. GOD!."

I was just a bit confused about the shirt, because it looks like there's a strap to hold something on overtop of the shirt. I can see how to do pretty much everything but the basic shirt at the bottom... those two clasp things...I can't tell if they start in the middle of his back or not.