View Full Version : Anime Day A-kon!

Skyline Kyo
07-14-2004, 03:31 PM
http://www.a-kon.com/animeday.html

Who's going to be attending this?
I'm 95% sure I'll be there! XD

CorazonAzul
07-14-2004, 04:49 PM
I'll most certainly be there! But I'm wondering more about that "Costume Fashion Show" - could it be a chance for us cosplayers to show off what we've got?

Anna
07-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Hmmmmmm.... I might go .I must disscuss with Kibo no Hikari.Cause her Dad drives us to our cons.*runs off exitedidly*

Tenya Muyo
07-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Seems interesting, but it's a Saturday, which means i'll proll be working. But we'll see........ perhaps Kame-sama will be merciful! ^_^

Anna
07-15-2004, 01:37 AM
The Anna and friends are going!*dances*That means you can expect to see a Yuna(with recently completed staff w00t) , Ed, and a ghaleon. Now to make sure they're younger siblings do not attend!*runs away plotting*

The Metric Ruler
07-21-2004, 05:38 PM
So where is this going to be? I know it said Richardson Square Mall but the location is sort of vague...

Anna
07-21-2004, 07:00 PM
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?pan=s&ovi=1&mapdata=Jl9JS76xNqC%2bESoxV7f2NkkLdKVpDR85w7AiYlF8 Oxar%2fgG2C2kY%2fralJmlyVk58bSe0C7YZPGtBeM9QQQDqZ0 shMpHtGy%2f4dx1MLLZcZGgysPPsNcv6wU%2fkGUdvc%2b1Eil XKq8QIh%2bjHWdolvwXO8fwRFdncksIM0WWVl6bomOWYv34ID6 dset%2feqF5muhW6SXQ4lbdKzRCwP4UtgGYo91gDHFgH472XoG 1Ly5%2fA1ylQZJ0GfB7KK78v1ImlzRh6Y8Ul5VVhanaNmu6%2f Xja1WK4NRDECwFNts8d58OvjKGrXUuOoeIIfMq9yD%2fMLJPKn 48vitEZc00eTOft46ZkwbeXHwUZMy9OpjqcJnadopGtIlY%2fa U2Kyfg%3d%3d
I'm geussing it's somewhere around here

skypirate
07-21-2004, 10:26 PM
So where is this going to be? I know it said Richardson Square Mall but the location is sort of vague...

I used to live in the area and know that mall inside out. The A-kon site says "located behind Barnes & Noble on the back side of the mall next to Sears". I would suspect that it is being held in the former Steinmart which was on the northeast corner of the mall.

Richie Square is at the southeast corner of Beltline and Plano Rd. a little east of Central Expressway (75).

Anna
07-21-2004, 10:39 PM
o_o I stink when it comes to maps.

skypirate
07-23-2004, 10:53 PM
I stopped by Richardson Square Mall this evening on the way to Waco/McGregor, to check out the location. Looks like they have converted the SteinMart into a community/convention center called "The Center at the Square". They've decorated one of the two bay windows with color Anime-Day A-kon convention posters, paper parasols, boxes of pocky etc.

Technically, it is on the east side of the mall, north end, next to Sears.

I took a few pictures, but forgot my USB cable, so it will be Sunday before I can upload them.
:Čj

Skyline Kyo
07-26-2004, 01:02 AM
I'm still trying to find more information regarding this but I can't find any -_-

Skypirate: Your pictures from A-kon were awesome! Will you be there on Anime Day?

Anna
07-26-2004, 01:12 AM
Skypirate told me a couple of days ago that he would.

skypirate
07-26-2004, 01:13 AM
I'm still trying to find more information regarding this but I can't find any -_-

Skypirate: Your pictures from A-kon were awesome! Will you be there on Anime Day?

Well, thank you very much. It was a lot of fun. I'll be there with the camera.
I've put up photos of the Anime Day location at:

http://www.skypirate.net/cosplay/news_040814.htm

and will keep the file active through the event.

Sundance Kid
07-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Awesome! ^_^ I'll probably get to go...though I don't know which costume to wear since it's only a one-day thing. You see for AnimeFest in september, I'm going as a female version of Spike. I don't know if I should use that costume or my Gunner Yuna one that I used for this years A-Kon. What do you guys think? Let's take a vote please? I need help! ^_^

Anna
07-26-2004, 12:56 PM
I'd say bring the spike!( I like spike :) )

Dai
07-26-2004, 09:25 PM
I'm probably coming... ^^

CorazonAzul
07-26-2004, 11:49 PM
I sent an email to find out more about the Costume Fashion Show, and here's what they sent me:

> Hello!
>
> What exactly is the costume fashion show? I'm a cosplayer, and I get
the
> impression that it's kind of like a masquerade (walk-ons with an
> announcer, etc). I'd like to bring my costume to show it off, but I'd
> love some more info on how the fashion show will work!
>
> Thanks!

Likely it will be similar to that - a small stage/runway (may or may
not
be raised, depending on what they get built by showtime) with an
announcer to describe the outfit/character (focus on the costume, not
the skit or performance, but the merit of the costume, how it was made,
what went into the making, etc. No skits. There may be a 'people's
choice' award, not sure about that yet.

Anna
07-26-2004, 11:57 PM
I sent an email to find out more about the Costume Fashion Show, and here's what they sent me:

> Hello!
>
the
>
> Thanks!

not
Wow that sounds cool. No people going onstage in street clothes with no idea on what there doing :rockon: . Oh yeah if anybody see's me and my friends be sure to wish the Ed that's with us a happy B-day.

Dai
07-27-2004, 03:03 PM

> Hello!
>
the
>
> Thanks!

not

Ooh cool... now I need to go bug my mom to help me finish one of my costumes even earlier... Hee... I'll definately be there... It's close to my birthday! ^^ (My b-day = Aug 12)

kirineko
07-30-2004, 02:46 PM

What information do you want to know?

I'm one of the staff-type people, so I can check into it for you.

kirineko
07-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Haha. And yes, i will be there!
I'm not sure if I am going to cosplay or not, as I am working the concessions stand. If I do, it will be something simple, comfortable, and non-threatening :F

Also, if you guys have any questions, toss em at me, and I'll see if I can get them answered. <3

Doors open at 10am. Admission is 3 dollars, or free with a same day receipt from any store in the mall. They already have two guests, and three dealers.
There will be ANIME! And a cosplay fashion show, meaning, yes, a chance for cosplayers to get up and show off their stuff. Afterwards, there will be a dance, DJed by DJ Meatpie, who usually does the A-kon dances, and I've been put on the mission to find him some good anime and jpop music to play.

Basically, it's a come out and have fun type thing. It's basically a small anime social, and I think the main intent is to kind of expose the anime fandom to the 'normal' crowd.

Tenya Muyo
07-31-2004, 11:21 PM
Through the powers of Kame-sama and all that is anime, looks like I'm coming!!! They Didn't Schedule Me For The 14th!!!! YATTA!! Costume wise, i'm bringing someone short to the cos-

Edward: WHO ARE YOU CALLING SUPER HYPER, MICRO CHIBI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tenya: SILENCE ED!!! *hits with a wrench* Now, stay down!! :3

Skyline Kyo
08-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Whew, I'm glad more info was posted. I just hope I don't get lost getting there.

Should be a very fun event!

baku_neko
08-02-2004, 01:16 AM
I'm going! I'm going! Muwhahaha....

And I just relized I requested off Friday instead of Saturaday at work....must go fix that tomorrow...><

kirineko
08-02-2004, 07:39 AM
I just found out that one of my good friends, (I think he still goes by) DJ Cobweb, will be helping to DJ the dance. :D

Hopefully, he'll pull out his Invader Zim remixes, among whatever else we throw at him.

Also, DJ Meatpie, who actually runs the A-kon dance, will also be spinning.

Along with DJ Jinnai's permission to use his remixes as well (thank you! :D) the Anime Day dance should be pretty rockin, and have a good mix of anime and Jpop/Jrock music for everyone to get down to. :rockon:

Dance starts at 9:30-whenever, so make sure you guys are all good and ready, and save some energy.

Anna
08-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Hmm....... Is dancing in costume not recomended?

baku_neko
08-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Whew! I changed the day I requested off to Sat, Aug 14! ^^

Someone had told me it was Fri Aug 13, so that's why I requested Friday off. Thank goodness I saw this thread! ^^

Asmaria
08-03-2004, 09:17 AM
I'll be there :D With my 9 year old cousin as Sailor Venus. ^^

kirineko
08-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Hmm....... Is dancing in costume not recomended?

Nothing wrong about dancing in costume. :F

Dai
08-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Yep. I'm definately coming. And dragging two friends along. :D

LancerFoxtrot07
08-03-2004, 08:37 PM
getting to the richardson square mall is easy, but i wonder why they chose that mall to host it in. it's not the nicest mall in dallas at all.

Proz
08-03-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm right now floating about coming to this. Otakon killed my wallet and plus I'll be back in Dallas 3 weeks later for A-fest. If I do come, I think I might come to test run my new costume that I was planning to debut at A-fest (nothing amazing, just a costume to a recently licensed series).

skypirate
08-04-2004, 01:18 AM
getting to the richardson square mall is easy, but i wonder why they chose that mall to host it in. it's not the nicest mall in dallas at all.

Yep. Getting to RSM should be easy. 75 (Central Expressway) to Beltline. However, they've been doing a lot of construction along 75, so you never can tell which exits will be open.

More importantly, the Richardson Police headquarters is located at Beltine and Greenville. From there to the mall is a speed zone. Save yourself a ticket. Drive cautiously.

Anna
08-04-2004, 01:21 AM
2 more weeks! YAY! ^_^

PirateKitty
08-04-2004, 01:55 AM
I'm going- along with friends.
Actually, we're hosting a tea party for any Elegant Gothic Lolitas that might show up. ^^ We're also going to have games (even if you're not dressed up- you're free to participate in the Iron Lolita!)
If anybody thinks they might wanna join the fun, here's our webpage.
Sweet Tea (http://www.iwannabeapirate.com/pics/loli.html)
It's not super fancy, but we only have a few people working on this! Please join us!

HuongStar
08-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Actually, we're hosting a tea party for any Elegant Gothic Lolitas that might show up. ^^ We're also going to have games (even if you're not dressed up- you're free to participate in the Iron Lolita!)

I'll probably attend in casual lolita gear. I'm not wild about the idea of cosplaying in a mall. :thumbsup:

LancerFoxtrot07
08-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Speed zone? I've been in DFW for 4 years and never seen a cop in the area. Oh wait, that's Beltline/Greenville. I usually get there from the direction of 635.

I'm thinking plainclothes for A-Day, and I'm kinda bugged at the thought of my gf going IC.

kirineko
08-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Well, it won't actually be IN the mall, as in, in the CENTER of the Mall.

The Center at the Square, where Anime Day is being held, is actually a small community center that used to be a Stein Mart. It just so happens to be attached to Richardson Square Mall.

I'll be cosplaying, but it will be toned down, not because I'm worried about scaring mall people, but because I'm working the concession stand.

Cherry
08-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Squeek. I think I'm going!

Gren
08-04-2004, 06:46 PM

Most malls don't have large vacant spaces that can be rented for a day and then used to congregate, watch videos, and hold a dance until "?".

Cherry
08-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Most malls don't have large vacant spaces that can be rented for a day and then used to congregate, watch videos, and hold a dance until "?".

Well, not to mention it's hard to find a mall where they allow you to host a costuming convention for a day. I know that our mall freaks out over anything costume related. (They yelled at me for wearing my Gambit costume to the mall).

Soo...... Maybe they are just a good nice mall!

LancerFoxtrot07
08-04-2004, 09:08 PM
That's a good point. If a mall did allow such an event, the other ones such as Valley View and Collin Creek would probably toss a hefty charge at Phoenix Ent. I have NO doubt that Northpark and Galleria would promptly decline an event like that.

Lancerfoxtrot <- OWNED by Gren&Cherry.

Coincidentally, that sounds like "Ben and Jerry". And now I want ice cream.

PirateKitty
08-05-2004, 12:42 AM
Speed zone? I've been in DFW for 4 years and never seen a cop in the area. Oh wait, that's Beltline/Greenville. I usually get there from the direction of 635.

I'm thinking plainclothes for A-Day, and I'm kinda bugged at the thought of my gf going IC.

Might I ask why you disapprove? I'm just curious- my friends and I have often gone to various malls in costume just for fun. I've had friends that were kinda shy about it- but never anyone that was outright opposed. ^.^;;

PirateKitty
08-05-2004, 12:49 AM
I'll probably attend in casual lolita gear. I'm not wild about the idea of cosplaying in a mall. :thumbsup:

Oh please drop by our tea party! We'd love to have you!

insomniel
08-05-2004, 01:58 AM
richardson square mall isn't that bad. it has a barnes and noble and asian stores and an arcade with a ton of dance games. it's in a city with one of the oldest asian communities in the state. i think it's the ideal mall for a a first-ever anime day.
and i say this not just because i live in the area and i'm asian and defending my community.

skypirate
08-05-2004, 02:43 AM
That's a good point. If a mall did allow such an event, the other ones such as Valley View and Collin Creek would probably toss a hefty charge at Phoenix Ent. I have NO doubt that Northpark and Galleria would promptly decline an event like that.

Lancerfoxtrot <- OWNED by Gren&Cherry.

Coincidentally, that sounds like "Ben and Jerry". And now I want ice cream.

Historically, RSM has had events where admission was purchasing something in the mall. It makes the mall tenants happy that mall management is trying to promote business to the mall. Its a win/win for the mall. I used to work in the very space where the con is being held a LONG time ago.

http://www.skypirate.net/cosplay/images/anime_day/anime_day_skypirate.gif

LancerFoxtrot07
08-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Might I ask why you disapprove? I'm just curious- my friends and I have often gone to various malls in costume just for fun. I've had friends that were kinda shy about it- but never anyone that was outright opposed. ^.^;;

I'm planning other events that day as well. That is, if everything falls into place. I made reservations for Benihana a good few months ago for that day, and I know she'll want to be at A-Day all day.

kirineko
08-07-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm going- along with friends.
It's not super fancy, but we only have a few people working on this! Please join us!

Btw, you now officially have a table, in the concessions area. We'll be opening at 11, so if you guys want to swing by early to claim your table and set anything up, feel free. I'll also make a little sign so that the table is reserved only for your group.

I THINK the concessions table is RIGHT in the middle of the venue space, so we should be pretty easy to find.

kirineko
08-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Anime Day info update:

There will be a small stage, with a catwalk, for the cosplay fashion show.
There will also be a 20'X20' dance floor.
They have three guests (listed on the main page) two of whom will be doing autographs, and one will have a artist table.
They have 10 confirmed vendors, though I have no idea who they all are.

The concessions stand will run from around 11am to....whenever, including the dance.
We will have chips, candy bars, soda, Pocky (and possibly Pretz), ramune, popcorn! granola bars, and other good healthy stuff. We'll also be serving energy drinks, and water.

The Center at the Square is pretty good sized....There's plenty of room. It IS open to the mall, directly from the inside, so there will be random mall-people traffic.
There will be a video room, and a few panels.

Anyway, it should be lots of fun. Hope to see you all there. One more week! :D

PirateKitty
08-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Btw, you now officially have a table, in the concessions area. We'll be opening at 11, so if you guys want to swing by early to claim your table and set anything up, feel free. I'll also make a little sign so that the table is reserved only for your group.

I THINK the concessions table is RIGHT in the middle of the venue space, so we should be pretty easy to find.

Sweet! We were gonna probably head there between 11-12 to get set up and stuff. Thank you so much for your help! :D

Anna
08-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Darn it! I just found out my friend lindzey's birthday party is on the same day! *grumbles* Dosen't mean I'm not coming though just means I'm gonna be late.

baku_neko
08-08-2004, 01:39 AM
Anime Day info update:
They have 10 confirmed vendors, though I have no idea who they all are.

10 vendors?!?!?! SWEET! Gotta bring the cash now! ^_~

There will be a video room, and a few panels.

Video room eh? Showing anime I presume. Any idea what anime(s) it will be?

Proz
08-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Decided I'll show up. Reserved a car to drive up to Dallas (coming from Austin) and I'll be there by mid-afternoon (3-4pm). Look for a guy with golden skates.

LancerFoxtrot07
08-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Sounds like this'll be one serious shin-dig. I still wonder who the vendors'll be.

kirineko
08-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Sounds like this'll be one serious shin-dig. I still wonder who the vendors'll be.

Three of them are
Mad Daffodil
Lazy Dragon
SciFiFX

kirineko
08-09-2004, 11:09 PM
10 vendors?!?!?! SWEET! Gotta bring the cash now! ^_~

Video room eh? Showing anime I presume. Any idea what anime(s) it will be?

I have no idea what anime they will be showing, actually. :F Much like A-kon, they wait to release that information until the event.

HuongStar
08-10-2004, 12:15 PM

I bet the vendors will be somewhat similar to Itzacon (lots of sci-fi/fantasy/LARP) since they are both small events. Anime Pop is one of the only North Dallas area anime vendors that I know of....

baku_neko
08-10-2004, 12:27 PM
I bet the vendors will be somewhat similar to Itzacon (lots of sci-fi/fantasy/LARP) since they are both small events. Anime Pop is one of the only North Dallas area anime vendors that I know of....

There are some other stores...like that one in Arlington. I wonder if they will come...

LancerFoxtrot07
08-10-2004, 03:10 PM
This's all sounding better and better. Which means I'll have a busy week. Bishi and I are planning a trip to Dallas Aquarium on Thursday (I've been in the DFW are for 4 years and I've never been there. Sad, huh?), then we've got A-Day planned as well.

Woo!

kirineko
08-11-2004, 09:19 PM
There are some other stores...like that one in Arlington. I wonder if they will come...

There's an updated list of vendors and guests on the website now :D

Anna
08-11-2004, 11:01 PM
YAYYY! I'm gona have new sleeves for my Yuna costume!(I just bought some new material it's really soft X3) Oh yes me and my friends will be there around 4 or 5.

Sundance Kid
08-12-2004, 11:11 AM
O_O I just realized that I have a Dillard's fashion show to do that day as well...but it's only to around 4 o'clock so I think I'll still be able to be there around 4:30-5:00....*crosses fingers* Oh I hope I can make it.... :bigtu:

LancerFoxtrot07
08-13-2004, 03:02 AM
Looks like I'll be bringing in a fire-team's worth of people with me. 2 of Bishi's friends want in on the action, so I've been tapped to do some driving. I'll just charge 'em for gas. I won't be in costume...though my Chris Redfield is essentially done.

It may not sit well if I go into a mall packing replica heat. Besides, I'm due for an appointment with my stylist because my hair's too long.

Hope to you see some of you folks there. We'll do late lunch, have coffee. I'll be the uber-cute guy who's

1: following a short Count D from Petshop of Horrors
- or -
2: following a short Count Cain Hargreaves from Count Cain/Godchild

Cherry
08-13-2004, 04:04 AM
It looks like I am most definatly going! :3 As Gambit!

kirineko
08-13-2004, 01:27 PM
:O This Just in! (and I know it's very short notice, but the idea was brought up Sunday, and apparently, they worked out the logistics)

Anime Day will have a professional photographer who will produce an excellent
photo of you (or you with friends) on an 8 x 10 glossy photo sheet.
Dressing rooms are nearby for you to change costumes. One costume/pose
per photo. $10 for the first photo, with additional copies of the same
photo $2 (so all your friends can have one, or if there are multiple
people in the shot, they all can have one). Only G-PG (no nudity)
costumes will be accepted. Photos will not be saved or used for any
other purpose (they go only to the person(s) requesting them at the
time) and releases will be signed prior to photo session.

I've heard them talking about this guy, and he is VERY good.

Anna
08-13-2004, 07:54 PM
YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!! IT'S TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*is very very exited even if nobody will give her and her friends a ride*

Dai
08-14-2004, 01:39 AM
Well, I know for sure I'm coming, thank God my birthday was two days ago, I'm not broke lol but I don't have a costume. ;.; Guess I'll just be going as myself XD If you see me please say hi ^^ My avatar is a self-portrait and I'll be wearing glasses with circular frames but blue square lenses.
(If I'm not making sense, it is because I am tired. I think I am too exited to get to sleep for some obscure reason.)

baku_neko
08-14-2004, 01:39 AM
:O This Just in! (and I know it's very short notice, but the idea was brought up Sunday, and apparently, they worked out the logistics)

Anime Day will have a professional photographer who will produce an excellent
photo of you (or you with friends) on an 8 x 10 glossy photo sheet.
Dressing rooms are nearby for you to change costumes. One costume/pose
per photo. $10 for the first photo, with additional copies of the same
photo $2 (so all your friends can have one, or if there are multiple
people in the shot, they all can have one). Only G-PG (no nudity)
costumes will be accepted. Photos will not be saved or used for any
other purpose (they go only to the person(s) requesting them at the
time) and releases will be signed prior to photo session.

I've heard them talking about this guy, and he is VERY good.

Oh...sounds cool....^^

LancerFoxtrot07
08-14-2004, 02:34 AM
Confirmed Bishi's costume. She's going to be Count D from PSoH.

I'll be her unarmed escort. Should be fun.

LancerFoxtrot07
08-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Sorry for missing a bunch of you there...Bishi and I got really worn out after about 3 or 4 hours. We did see Cherry, Gren, and a few others whose names I can't recall.

I'm glad we left when we did...it turns out that an insect bite on my achilles tendon became a blister, and Bishi's shoes that go with her cheongsam wore into her feet.

I had a nice time while I was there...but most of it was at the arcade. I was the tall(ish) asian guy in the white shirt on that rock-climbing simulator track deal (39ft on "extreme 1"), playing that boxing game, or shooting stuff in Time Crisis.

Hope you folks had an OK time. Sorry for missin' ya.

Anna
08-14-2004, 09:28 PM
I had an awesome time ^_^.(though I didn't get to stay to long) My minion(Lindzy) said she was cosplaying even though all she did was put purple hairspray in her hair in the parking lot. And I saw Cherry and Gren as well. And Iwas alos kinda suprised by the fact there were only 2 Yuna's there(including me). But it was really fun and I really enjoyed myself(I wish I could've stayed for the dance ;_; )
P.S. I'm sorry that I didn't say hi to everybody from the site that I saw there. I'm really bad with names and twice as bad with faces. Plus I just left from a birthday party for my minion.(if her little sisters would of JUST PICKED SOMETHING from the prizes at putt-putt we could've gotten there ALOT SOONER. :sulk: stupid 9 year-olds took nearly 35 minutes just picking things from the 10 points prizes when they had 600 points)

PirateKitty
08-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Oof! Got back not too long ago. Our tea party went great- thanks to everyone that helped out- it was so much fun! And the Iron Lolita contest ROCKED SOCKS! :)

BishiJZ
08-14-2004, 10:21 PM
I had a good time even if my heels now sport two dime sized holes where the skin rubbed off. I really need to think about putting some tape to cushion the back of those shoes. =P

I loved the lolita costumes, and from what I could see, there was a pretty good turnout for something like this. (And there was food from the teaparty, which was awesome. I got a tart! =D) My only small complaint was that there wasn't enough anime/manga among the venders. I understand that it was a very very small, one day thing, but a little more would have been nice. I ended up hanging out at the arcade for most of my time there, which had the best selection of games I've seen in a very long time.

AAAAND I made new friends. Whoo! XD All in all, not a bad day at all.

Cherry
08-15-2004, 02:27 AM
I really had such an amazing time. Me and Gren totally enjoyed seeing everyone...

It was really just a cool little event. It was really well set up, and relaxed, and everyone left happy because we all got to have an excuse to see our A-Kon buddies. The drive up from Houston and back home in one day was really a pain in the keister, but I didn't mind!

XD Oh by the way. The reason I took my contacts off? The darn things scratched the membrane on the inside of my eye and made it start bleeding and stuff.. so yes. I was normal eyed gambit!

Proz
08-15-2004, 11:08 AM
All I have to say is that wearing rollerblades for 4 hours will give you blisters especially when you're not use to wearing them.

I'll be back.. at A-fest.

Anna
08-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Oh I saw you Proz! I'm sorry I didn't say hi but by the time me and my friends got to Anime day I was just worn out.

kirineko
08-15-2004, 01:11 PM
I had a good time even if my heels now sport two dime sized holes where the skin rubbed off. I really need to think about putting some tape to cushion the back of those shoes. =P

I loved the lolita costumes, and from what I could see, there was a pretty good turnout for something like this. (And there was food from the teaparty, which was awesome. I got a tart! =D) My only small complaint was that there wasn't enough anime/manga among the venders. I understand that it was a very very small, one day thing, but a little more would have been nice. I ended up hanging out at the arcade for most of my time there, which had the best selection of games I've seen in a very long time.

AAAAND I made new friends. Whoo! XD All in all, not a bad day at all.

It was also a first time event, and it's hard to get vendors to come out when you can't tell them how many people are going to be there, or even if anyone is going to show at all.

However, I don't think we'll have a problem next year, as attendance FAR outstripped ANYONE's expectations. Also, considering the ease of setup and planning, this is something we can run several times a year. Hopefully, next year, we'll be able to entice more of the local Dallas anime vendors to come. (and maybe one of the bubble tea shops :drink: )

kirineko
08-15-2004, 01:19 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for coming to Anime Day! (on behalf of all the staff who don't frequent cosplay.com. :D)

It was amazingly fun, and I'm glad everyone had a good time. With such an awesome turnout, I'm sure we'll be doing something of the sort again, in the same venue.

Thank you for everyone who came from alllll the way out of town to come. LOL. And also, to all the local Dallas/Fort Worth people who made the trek, and braved the horrors of traffic, highways, and CONSTRUCTION. -_-

And also, thank you to Sweet Tea. You guys were great. Meri was VERY impressed with your event, and also with your behavior. You guys are more than welcome to run an EGL event at any convention that she runs, and well, honestly, any convention I work for. Everyone really enjoyed your presence. ^_^

Anyway, hopefully we'll do this again, with even more planning and advance notice of things like photographers, and maybe even more vendors! More stuff, and party-party!

Because...yeah, it basically felt like a big, all day long block party, and not a con at all. ^_^

PirateKitty
08-15-2004, 07:31 PM
And also, thank you to Sweet Tea. You guys were great. Meri was VERY impressed with your event, and also with your behavior. You guys are more than welcome to run an EGL event at any convention that she runs, and well, honestly, any convention I work for. Everyone really enjoyed your presence. ^_^

I am really quite proud of our group- and it makes me so happy to hear that our presence was enjoyed! We had a great time! For anyone that's interested, here's our webpage (with tons of pics from Anime Day!)
Sweet Tea! (http://www.iwannabeapirate.com/sweettea)

CorazonAzul
08-16-2004, 08:27 AM
I had a great time at Anime Day! The best part was meeting up with friends, and making new ones. I didn't buy anything - mainly came just to hang out with peers and, hey! Another excuse to wear Megazord! Woot!

My only real complaint was part of the costume fashion show. The audio problems didn't bother me NEARLY as much as the announcer-guy in the specs and maroon shirt (not the voice actor one). I didn't appreciate his general 'tude towards the whole show and the cosplayers who were a part of it... :( I'm even positive that everyone who came to AnimeDay would agree with me. But! The voice actor man was nice, exciting, and funnnn! FROM THE SMASH HIT ANIME, LITTLE WHITE BOY.... it's.... LITTLEEEE WHITE BOY! XDDDD Wow, and I could listen to his movie trailer voice all day!

And now for some shout outs.

My FFT Friends - You know who you are! I was very happy to see you guys again, even if for a brief time. I wish I could have seen Emily too <3 Oh, and thank you FFT Knight for helping me put my costume on!

Skyline Kyo - It was nice finally meeting you! And, wow, it was no trouble at all identifying you either, hehe!

Storm and Gambit - Wow, you guys rock. It was great to meet you Storm (omg I can't even remember the name, because I suck!!) and I hope we meet up at either Anime Fest or A-kon next time! Gambit, you were sexy! XO;; .. fanboy moment

Phoenix and Nightcrawler - You guys came a little later, but I fell in love with both of your costumes instantly. Phoenix, you crazy chick you XD Yeah, again with the name-forgetting... -_-

The Costume Fashion Show Folks - Thank you for my WD-40 award and prize! And, sorry I couldn't make it on the little catwalk/stage ;_;;;;

Michelle - She doesn't surf these boards, but she was the one person who came with me to AnimeDay! Without her, I probably couldn't have gone (in costume anyway)! She also filmed the con and fashion show for me, which I'll be trying to put online later. Thanks Michelle!!

Everyone Who Complimented My Costume - I live for that kind of appreciation. Thanks a ton!

Proz
08-16-2004, 09:22 AM
My only real complaint was part of the costume fashion show. The audio problems didn't bother me NEARLY as much as the announcer-guy in the specs and maroon shirt (not the voice actor one). I didn't appreciate his general 'tude towards the whole show and the cosplayers who were a part of it... :( I'm even positive that everyone who came to AnimeDay would agree with me.

I'm going to have to agree on this. Here's some of the general rules any cosplay MC should at least have:

A) Knowledgeable experience in anime beyond what's on CN, or at least fake it.
B) Be nice to people and appreciative of their work, or at least fake it.
C) Actually enjoy being on the stage, or at least fake it.

Since Kyle Herbert has been to dozens of cons, does radio work & been dragged to these types of events plenty of times he knew how to put on [fake] smiles and how to make people laugh.

To the sound board people, there's a reason sound check tests are typically done before it starts.

I'm not going to burst with compliments since this was a first time for the organizers. I will probably wait from attending this again until I see that "a lot more" is added to this. Based on the amount whom showed up, even with QuakeCon going on in the area, you can use these numbers to entice more participation from other sources.

Gren
08-16-2004, 10:15 AM
I'll agree on the MC. It's fairly common for them to assume the audience wants them to entertain them, rather than the cosplayers being entertainment. It's a logical presumption to make, but unfortumeately, it's wrong. Most of the audience enjoys a few jokes and comments here and there, but not when the MC is taking as much time as the cosplayers (Which for this event wasn't an enormous problem, but when you have a huge cosplay event and it starts dragging into the hours, the pople more and more want the MC to shut up, and MC thinks more and more that they need to keep the audience excited. Again, not a bad assumption to make, but the wrong one.)

I'd like to see in the future the MC's briefed on what's going to happen and what the audience wants. It's not their fault that they don't know what to expect, and they really don't have a good opportunity to guage audience reaction.

PirateKitty
08-16-2004, 12:29 PM
I was only around for part of the fashion show - but I agree... I think I might also add to the list of requirements "ability to pronounce character and show names"...that sort of irked me... really made things seem... a little unprofessional.

Congrats on your award Jesse- you earned it! :D

Dude... I missed a Nightcrawler? That makes me wanna cry.... <3
*BAMF!*

Cherry
08-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Storm and Gambit - Wow, you guys rock. It was great to meet you Storm (omg I can't even remember the name, because I suck!!) and I hope we meet up at either Anime Fest or A-kon next time! Gambit, you were sexy! XO;; .. fanboy moment!

Hehe. I'm sexy!? ::STRUTFLEX:: Remy so flattered.

:x Thaaaank you. We're both goin' to teh A-FEST.

Man. All of this talk about MCs got me nervous.
Me and Steve Bennet hosted Numa Rei No Con's cosplay, and it got to the point we HAD to entertain the ballroom because the con took around 2 hours to go get the prizes. X_X; Me and Steve were dieing. It was New Orleans, too, so they threw beer up on stage for us saying we needed to relax. It was freaking great.

I also have to MC for the upcoming con in Houston, Oni-Con, which.. yeah. X_X;;;; *SCARED*. I'll try not to talk that much?

I personally think it's not how much you talk, it's what you say.

Skyline Kyo
08-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Anime Day was quite nice. I wish I got there earlier but I got lost -again- getting there lol. Was very fun and hope it happens again~

CorazonAzul: It was cool to meet ya man, and damn your Megazord still leaves that "Omg... that is so cool" impression :)

Asmaria
08-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Wah, I only got to go for like, an hour. ;_; What costumes I did see were cool though. I mostly got pics of a Naruto group, and a few other people. Then I had to leave cause it was my brother's birthday. x_x Then I was uber-dumb and left the camera at my grandma's house! >_< So when I get it back, I'll post the pictures here to share. Oh well. ^_^;

Tenya Muyo
08-16-2004, 11:08 PM
*sigh* Aah, that was Fun!! :jjacks: A-kon needs to have these kinds of events more often! Well, it was great seeing everyone there; i'm sorry I didn't stay longer (friend recieved her master's degree that day, i just made it in time.....in costume :thumbsup: )

Man. All of this talk about MCs got me nervous.
I also have to MC for the upcoming con in Houston, Oni-Con, which.. yeah. X_X;;;; *SCARED*. I'll try not to talk that much?
Oh Cherry, you'll be fine! If you act about exactly as you did during anime day (minus some of the more mature parts :thumbsup: ) Oni-con cosplay will be fantastic. Fear not! :bigtu:

Dai
08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Hey... CorazonAzul, I think I saw you! And then I was all like, "Cool! someone I recognize!" XD I didn't see anyone I actually KNEW there... ;.;
But it was still fun. Even though we got lost on the way there... and on the way back home... XD

Rinji
08-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Ah! I went to this! ^^;

I got a Crazy 88 cosplay together at the last minute. The mask kept breaking, but I think it went over okay. XD Kyle Hebert (spelling? LOL) noticed me.

I had an okay time, but it was a bit empty by the time I was there. I *DID* get a "I :heart: yaoi" shirt out of it, though!

skypirate
08-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Cosplayers make the world go 'round. Thank you all for being so fun and posing for pictures. My Anime Day Gallery is on-line.

http://www.skypirate.net/cosplay/ad2004_01.htm

Anna
08-17-2004, 11:18 PM
YAYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Your the best skypirate! *glomps*

Skyline Kyo
08-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Skypirate... that was you!!! Ahhh, I wish I knew it was you. Thanks for taking the time to show up there and take our pictures!

Rinji was a very cute Crazy 88 ^_-

skypirate
08-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Thank you! Sorry the gallery layout isn't more purdy, but I was exhausted from a rather fast and furious project at work last week. Now, I'm going to get some much needed rest.

LancerFoxtrot07
08-17-2004, 11:43 PM
Dude, was that you in UNT Center for Media Prod shirt? If it was, I'm sorry for not saying hi. If you saw me, I was the really mainstream/fratboy looking guy with the Count D.

I ended up spending a bunch of time in the arcade with that boxing game and on FZero AX.

CorazonAzul
08-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Hey... CorazonAzul, I think I saw you! And then I was all like, "Cool! someone I recognize!" XD I didn't see anyone I actually KNEW there... ;.;
But it was still fun. Even though we got lost on the way there... and on the way back home... XD

Heyyyy! Yes, very hard to miss me, I think!

PirateKitty
08-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Wheeheee! Even more pictures of the tea party! :D

skypirate
08-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Dude, was that you in UNT Center for Media Prod shirt? If it was, I'm sorry for not saying hi. If you saw me, I was the really mainstream/fratboy looking guy with the Count D.

I ended up spending a bunch of time in the arcade with that boxing game and on FZero AX.

Yeah, that was me. One of these days, I'm going to cosplay as Erik Lensherr, Magneto, from X-Men the movie (Couldn't figure out how I was ever going to hold a camera in a Frylock outfit). :Čj

Sorry, I didn't recognize you. Maybe next time.

I just want to cry when I see the photos on a Windows platform. They're so dark.

Anna
09-15-2004, 10:26 PM
http://www.phoenix-entertainment.net/itzacon/memberships.html
YAY! Next Anime Day/Itzacon in November! It's going to be 2 days this time. Same location. I'm bringing my *soon to be completed* Festival Goer Yuna costume.

ShineJob
09-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Cool. o.o

Anna-chan, what's Itzakon like? ^^ I'm going to A-kon 16 and I've heard of their little anime day thing...

ZakuKitty
09-16-2004, 12:18 PM
November?! O___O I might actually be able to go!

ShineJob
09-16-2004, 03:58 PM
It's THIS year?! O______o;;

I think I might be going!!!! HEHEHEHE!

Anna
09-16-2004, 06:41 PM
I've never been to Itzacon. But Anime Day was Friggen awesome! I had a really good time and I guess this time it'll be alot bigger. I got to have alot of conversations with other Cosplayers there. There was a Cid cosplayer who oferred to dance with me ^_^. But we had to leave before the dance ;_; . This time though we'll get to stay longer becuase were going with Mr. Mosher and he likes Anime.

Dai
09-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Hmm... I might be able to go. ^^ I hope so......

Anna
09-27-2004, 05:23 PM
I'm going to be there Saturday! Hope to see some of you there!

AoKoneko
09-28-2004, 11:37 PM
oua i missed out again ;_; DARN dubble DARN *starts to cry. bites her lip* v,v ^^ Well I'm glad or I hope all of u had a wonderful/lovely time.

~AK~
AK
Oni-con Cosplay list-
LeeLoo from the Fifth Element
Halliucination Sara from the movie The Labyrinth
Halliucincation Jarth from the movie The Labyrinth
Mokorin from Please Save my Earth
Sally from NBC
Sailor Star Fighter from Sailor Stars

Anna
09-28-2004, 11:39 PM
What do you mean you missed out? It's not till November.

Shera
10-18-2004, 01:59 PM
That sounds like fun. I went to Anime Day too, and it was cool. You got to walk around and do whatever you wanted. I was the really lame Ed with the glasses, and the girl with me. I didn't stay for the fashion show, though.

I might be able to go to this next one. I have a big band audition on the 13th, but I'm free the next day.

:bigtu:

insomniel
11-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Due to the popularity of the Elegant Gothic Lolita event at the last anime day, we decided that we will try to have it again! It will take place Saturday at about 3pm and fans of this Japanese street fashion are welcome to have tea with us and participate in games and contests. (Of course, anyone can come eat our leftover food and judge our contests if they like.) Visit our site (http://www.iwannabeapirate.com/sweettea/index.html) for more information. Everything is kinda temporary right now, but we hope to see you lovely girls and guys there!

slade81
11-10-2004, 05:25 PM
is anyone going to show up for anime day 2 {aka} itzacon6
same place as anime day. http://phoenix-entertainment.net/itzacon/

ZakuKitty
11-10-2004, 05:41 PM
is anyone going to show up for anime day 2 {aka} itzacon6
same place as anime day. http://phoenix-entertainment.net/itzacon/

I should be along with a friend of mine. :D