PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for Cologne and Perfume

pink_killer
07-16-2004, 03:01 PM
I never shopped for cologne nor perfume before since I never barely ever use the stuff. The only perfume I have, my mother gave to me which is called "You have my heart" or something along those lines in a pretty fancy bottle, and my older cousin gave me a perfume that smells a little too strong for me in a small bottle. But actually shopping for cologne and perfume is like sending me into a store where everything is in jibberish.

Since I want to pull the more realistic "fool-everyone-in-believing-I-am-the-opposite-sex" crossplay look (I'm female by the way), I want to buy cologne..But I have no idea what-so-ever to look for, nor even for perfume for my own personal.

Question time!
What are the really good brands of cologne (that don't make you want to gag)?
What are the really good brands of perfume (that don't make you want to gag)?
Any advice?

fushigi-chan
07-16-2004, 03:06 PM
well I think everyone has different preferences for cologne and perfume, but my favorite brands are Givenchy and Chanel

my fav perfumes though are
J'adore by Christian Dior
Dreams by Anna Sui
Fast Forward by Givenchy
Chance by Chanel
Candies by Candies
Dream Angels by Victoria Secret

and the only cologne that I really like is Pi by Givenchy
though I haven't really looked for cologne before, so...lol

fushigi-chan
07-16-2004, 03:08 PM
also, if you wanna smell like a man *lol* you could buy Axe
that'd be cheaper than buying real cologne and they've got a lot of different fragrances

HuongStar
07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
If you want a more masculine scent, I would recommend something like Chanel Egoiste (male), CK One (unisex), Gucci Envy (female), Clean Men (male; available at Sephora). All of these are versatile enough that male or female may wear them.

Basically, you are looking for a clean, fresh, light fragrance with wood/musk, green, and/or citrus notes.

Here are some helpful fragrance shopping tips:

http://www.handbag.com/beauty/tips/fragranceshopping/

inertia
07-16-2004, 09:51 PM
I second the J'Adore (Dior) recommendation for perfume. It's feminine but not obnoxiously so, and it has a modern lightness and freshness which makes it (IMO) more suitable for young women than something like Chanel #5.

For colognes, my favorite is Platinum Egoist (Chanel). Very sexy.

Shopping for a new perfume/cologne is a trial, though. I think it's best to spread it out over several days of shopping because after a while your nose gets tired. Don't try to look at all the fragrances at once -- limit yourself to checking out only a few brands at a time. Spray one or two of the best ones on yourself and then sniff them again 30~60 minutes later to see if you still like the smell, because sometimes fragrances interact oddly with body chemistry and the scent may change dramatically.

Czygany
07-16-2004, 11:24 PM
I would say if you're trying to gender-fool you should go with a scent that is inherently masculine...

...that being said...find one you like to smell...test it on yourself as an individual's body chemistry can change the fragrence significatly. Once you find one that works for you ask the sales person for a sample (that way you won't have to shell out $60 or so for a bottle of something you're only going to wear once or twice a year). Usually, they're nice enough to give you a free trial size...especially if they think you're going to buy something from them...even if it's not that scent. If you find that the sales people where you shop are super stingy, bring a friend that needs to purchase something to get them to pay you more attention ;>

I got a sample not too long ago called "Essenza Di Zegna" by Ermenegildo Zegna...I personally think this cologne smells super-sexy!!!!!!!!!! (And I'm not a big fan of most men's frangrences, they just smell like you're trying too hard! *smirk*...) I'd slather it on my bf but he doesn't wear colonge *pout*...*laugh!* Try to see if you can find it where you are...if you can't and you're interested let me know and I'll send you my sample (I'd hope someone would enjoy since I can't! *giggle*) (Edit: as a side note, I just went to their website http://www.zegna.com ...and they have Adrien Brody touting their Summer line...Yummy!)

Also...I know Sephora offers free samples of various products when you buy online from them...if you need other makeup from them, check what free samples they are offering (you might need to register with them for this though). Good luck!

Edit: Oh, on a personal note my long standing personal fav to wear is "Angel" by Thierry Mugler...it's become my trademark scent and I've been chastized by friends (and, oddly, strangers alike) for not smelling like myself when I elected to wear a different fragrence. (Apparently, it reacts really strongly w/ my body so it smells very unique on me...I found this out from an old friend who was disappointed that, after purchasing some, it didn't smell correctly...*laugh!* after, 10 yrs perhaps my body's absorbed so much of it that I actually have a caffiene system with a little bit of blood and just a dash of Angel. *giggle* sounds like some crazy new martini...mister and all...*laugh* Though, I'm not a _complete_ stick-in-the-mud...I've branched out to "Angel Innocence" too! *sigh**shake head*)

pink_killer
07-17-2004, 12:03 AM
Aw that's so nice of you!

Try to see if you can find it where you are...if you can't and you're interested let me know and I'll send you my sample (I'd hope someone would enjoy since I can't! *giggle*)

But I took down some notes and I'm going to the mall tomorrow to see if I will find some suggestions here that sounded pretty good. I found a small bottle of CK One at the CVS since I ran off to see if they had any but limited amount, however, that one smelled really good actually and it doubles too. But I know Victoria's Secret sells some things and there's this sorta stand (I go to the Deptford Mall) that sells all kinds of perfume and cologne. I'm going to see if I find something there to my interest and snatch a few samples.

Whitefox
07-17-2004, 03:01 AM
For perfume (Can't answer the cologne question ^_~) Glo by J Lo is very nice, light, frosty and airy. It's not complicated or overweighted by 67 different scents. J Lo may be a horrible singer but she has great perfume! 'Still' by J Lo is very nice too. Those are two of the best perfume scents I've come across from magazines, my mother's cabinets, tons of department store racks, and samples.

gamergirlx
07-17-2004, 08:42 AM
But I took down some notes and I'm going to the mall tomorrow to see if I will find some suggestions here that sounded pretty good. I found a small bottle of CK One at the CVS since I ran off to see if they had any but limited amount, however, that one smelled really good actually and it doubles too. But I know Victoria's Secret sells some things and there's this sorta stand (I go to the Deptford Mall) that sells all kinds of perfume and cologne. I'm going to see if I find something there to my interest and snatch a few samples.

If you're going to the Deptford mall, be sure to stop by Ulta when you're looking for fragrances, they have a wall worth at decent prices. It's in the Petsmart shopping center...

bipolarbunny
07-17-2004, 01:46 PM
for perfume i use Shi by Alfred Sung. It's light and clean and reminds me of fresh water. (i'm not good at describing smells...)

my boyfriend uses Swiss Army (not Altitude, the original one) and it makes me meeeelllt. I work in men's wear and we have a cologne called Grey Flannel by Geoffery Bean and it smells very nice. they're very warm scents though, and my dad has Givency Pi, and it smells like a vanilla musk. it's nice, but $60 CDN a pop.

archangeli
07-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Notes on trying out fragrance:

- after you spray, let it sit for 10 minutes before assessing if you REALLY like the fragrance or not. This gives time for the alcohol to evaporate so you can actually smell the fragrance.

- after 2-4 hours do another check. does it still smell the same?? does it smell rancid? is it even there at all???

- Eau de Toilettes are cheaper, but contain less of the fragrance essential oils so they wear off faster. Eau de Parfum's are at least 80% essential oil so they can last all day. EDP's are also much more pricey!

- Don't try more than 2-3 fragrances at once. Your nose will just get overwhelmed and everything will start to smell the same.

Some people recommend choosing fragrances based on your personality. hehe :D

piggyface
07-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Aqua de Gio for men...I think thats the name. I smells so nummy and uber sexy. And also, Polo...or something like that...I'm so horrible with names. Nummy!

archangeli
07-18-2004, 02:05 AM
anything sandalwood based on guys makes me want to wretch...

unfortunately that's about 85% of all men's fragrances... yuck!

FantasyNinja
07-19-2004, 12:13 AM
For your own personal use I recommend Hypnotic Poision (Dior). It's long lasting, smells great, it's attractive, and it's not the kind that will leave you with a headache.
As for a masculine smell I agree with Axe. It's cheaper and it doesn't have that musky scent. I also suggest buying aftershave and maybe dabbing some on your clothes. Old Spice has a neat scent.

nekhochan
07-19-2004, 04:52 PM
there are alot of guy's fragrances, and alot of the have the same smell generally, as they are all knock offs of one another. You could go to walgreens, buy some Adidas for men and it smells alot like the aqua di gio, cool water and such. After working in fragrance for 5 years, it was like "damn it, why does every new cologne have to smell like cool water?"