PDA

View Full Version : Under eye circles of DOOM

lilspacemonkey
07-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Let me start this off by saying that I am completely inexperienced when it comes to make up. It’s only after reading this forum obsessively for the past couple of weeks that I’ve really started experimenting with foundation and concealer, and I’ve had some good results. You guys give great advice and I might just be a convert.

However! Like the topic title says, I have under eye circles from hell. Really. They’re super dark and every attempt I have made to cover them up just results in slightly less dark, yellowish, shiny pieces of flesh under my eyes. It aint pretty.

So my question is- is there any hope for me? I’ve been using drug store brands so far (Cover Girl, Revlon, and Almay, I think) so maybe I need to turn to high end brands? Should I give myself over to the intimidating make up-y people at Sephora? I’m kind of on a budget here, so I would rather not spend more than 20 bucks on one thing of makeup unless it absolutely works. Or maybe I’m using the wrong method- I’ve sort of been dotting the crème or liquid onto the dark part and then trying my best to blend without stretching my skin too much.

So that’s my plea for help. Thanks for reading this far, and any suggestions would be so very much appreciated.

pink_killer
07-21-2004, 02:38 PM
I have the same problem with under eye circles. I'm really pale, so you can see it a lot better (or worse?) than you would on someone tanner. I do manage to hide them kinda well, but not extensively. But what I did see at the drug store (where I buy all my makeup - don't believe in high end stuff when it most likely would work the same..according to me), is an under eye concealer.

I didn't try it since I use concealer with two shades that tones it to match my skin more and then foundation a good couple times which works, but since you said it didn't for you, I suggest looking for something like that where you are at the drugstore. It's by..-Ponders- Darn it I forget. I think it was, yeah! It was Almay...then again I may not be sure. But I think that there are other brands that make under eye concealer.

Another thing I saw was a "dark circle minimizer" in the skin care asiles of Wal-mart, so you could try to look out for that maybe? If this doesn't help you can always cosplay Jrockers and put black eyeshadow all over your eyes n.n'' I don't think that'll help though. Sorry if I didn't give much advice, but I'm sure one of the professional makeup artists around here would comment sooner or later.

hoshikage
07-21-2004, 02:45 PM
This is the advice my Stage Makeup professor gave me:

Just putting concealer on blemishes, undereye circles, etc won't work. The way to do it is to put some makeup of the *opposite* color on, blend it well, then put your foundation on top of that and blend that too. The opposing colors gray each other out, giving the foundation a much easier time hiding the imperfection. Since undereye circles are typically bluish, this means that you want yellow makeup. I've tried it myself, and it really works. It looks really weird at first with yellow all over, but if you're careful how you apply the next layers of fleshtone, it can come out looking really nice. I used my Ben Nye creme stage makeup kit when I tried it, so I don't know how it would work with other kinds of makeup (I'm not so sure if a powder yellow makeup would do much, for example...)

Oh, and another note... don't just try to eliminate the eye bags and then not put any makeup on the rest of your face. Putting foundation over your entire face will smooth everything to the same shade and shininess; applying makeup to your eyes only will look odd.

Ringo
07-21-2004, 03:09 PM
I used to have really bad circles under my eyes in college. XD I know how you feel. You can cover them up, but it's always good to treat them as well. ^_^ Get some under eye cream and use it daily it will help the area be less irritated especially if your going to put makeup on top.
Oh yeah! Origins makes a great undereye mask call No Puffery and it works wonders, I wouldn't go to a con without it!

Fatwetdog
07-21-2004, 04:00 PM
It depends on what type of eye circles they are. If they're just colored circles then you can cover them with makeup. Usually they sell them in complementary colors, so blue or green works to neutralize them. In my case, they aren't dark circles so much as shadows cast by the bags under my eyes. They aren't swellings; they're actually fat deposits so they won't go away with any type of mask or compress. My mom got hers removed by a plastic surgeon, but this turned out to be a terrible idea. With the fat bags removed the skin got very wrinkly, it entirely changed the shape of her eyes, and she *still* has eyebags. (they're just empty and wrinkly instead of puffy)

You can cover away the discoloration, but if the light hits you in a certain way, the puffiness will cast a shadow and they'll be visible again. If you're like me, you'll want to practice with different lightings and check lots of different photographs of yourself to see what picture looks best. For example, lots of "posing advice" recommends lowering your chin and looking up at the camera, which makes your eyes look much bigger. If I do that, I look like a monster. (really. It's more effective than holding a flashlight under my chin.) In my case, I try to raise my chin a bit and direct my face towards the light source, so that the light lands in the circles and doesn't create shadows.

Otherwise there isn't much you can do if that's just the way your eyes are shaped. (My mom's experience taught me that surgery won't help.) Mine are still the bane of my existence though; at a recent wedding my boyfriend was teasing me about my eye bags and grabbed one between his fingers like he was going to pull on it. Of course the photographer thought we were being cute and took a picture. Blah.

scandia
07-21-2004, 04:05 PM
While I'm otherwise loyal to Revlon, I use a Clinique foundation that I had matched to my exact skin tone during a makeover my friend and I had back in 2000. I have learned to spread it well in order to cover my undereye circles. It works most of the time- but by the time it is Sunday of a con, they are just too much.

For some reason I'm prone to them. I'm allergic to a lot of things, have always had poor sleep, and probably have thin skin that is light enough to show all my vessels. I don't use concealer since I am not prone to blemishes. How does "opposite color make-up" work? I have seen yellows, pinks, and even greens to even out different things. But what color would work best for undereye circles?

Jen-neko
07-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Ah, I wanted to post a thread like this :P I was just looking at myself in the mirror today and noticed how bad mine were (even when I have makeup on...).

Mine aren't bags (or shadows), it's real dark circle-ness. I know 'cause I've tilted my head different angles in different light, and they don't go away....and there isn't really any puffiness under my eyes, just dark circles :P

Was thinking of maybe using a make-up stick (the cheap ones are about $2-3 for a little stick of cover-up makeup) in a more yellow tone? I dunno. Whatever I choose would hafta be cheap, tho :P (and would need to be found at the local Wal-Mart/Target/whatever...). So, yes, any suggestions of brands and where I may be able to find them would be very helpful =^_^=

inertia
07-21-2004, 07:38 PM
I have a combination of dark circles and small bags. My process to hide them for cosplay is a bit complicated and expensive, but it works pretty well. ^^

1. Before applying foundation, I use Shiseido's concealer pencil in "light" to color in the underside of the circle/bag. This concealer pencil is slightly dry in texture and won't smudge easily so it's a good base for layering. The color is a little lighter than my skin and it covers the worst of the dark circle and counteracts some of the shadow from the bag.
2. Apply foundation over entire face, including lightly over the undereye area.
3. Apply concealer to the dark circle. I use Cle de Peau's concealer with a Shiseido concealer brush for this. This concealer is rather expensive (^^) but it's a very good one...
4. Apply regular face powder everywhere.
5. Draw a thin line of highlight along the lower edge of the bag. I use an eyeshadow in a matte pale ecru/peach color for this -- again, this is lighter than my natural skin color but it balances the shadow cast by the bag.

I don't know how one would successfully conceal dark circles on a budget. I've tried using some of the yellow and green things from the drugstore, but I found them impossible to handle. The creamy texture slipped right off when I put foundation or flesh-colored concealer on top and it made a nasty grayish gooey over-madeup mess. Nearly every kind of inexpensive concealer I tried was too liquidy or creamy to blend and they didn't have enough pigment for good coverage. I think the only one I've used that wasn't either hideously expensive or really lousy was Stila's stick concealer. Still not as good as Cle de Peau, but at 1/3 the price it's a LOT more affordable. However, I consider my Cle de Peau a good investment... I've been using it for over a year, still have at least half left for another year's use, and am still happy with it.

archangeli
07-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Use concealer..!

Problem solved.

Look up the "Concealer" thread.

Lene
07-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Question: Does using colors like yellow, green and blue to even things out work for darker skinned people? Because I'm dark and I can't just help but imagine yellow showing on my face and not doing anything except making me look weird. But I have bags under my eyes do that don't seem to go away...it's really annyoing.

Chibi Plush Toy
07-22-2004, 12:41 AM
I heard that you could put wet tea bags over your eyes and that would take away the dark circles...but I've never gotten around to trying it cuz I'm just lazy...

anyone wanna be the guinea pig?

scandia
07-22-2004, 04:51 PM
I probably will try the tea bag trick.

Shiseido is the most expensive brand of make-up around.

I don't have bags under my eyes at all. But my eyes are very deep-set, so the dark undereye circles show up even more in pics. Not so much with my film camera, but with professional digital ones they pretty much black out my eyes. And I can't even have my pic taken outside- the sunlight makes it worse and I squint.

pink_killer
07-22-2004, 07:06 PM
I heard that you could put wet tea bags over your eyes and that would take away the dark circles...but I've never gotten around to trying it cuz I'm just lazy...

anyone wanna be the guinea pig?

I would try it too out of curiousity since I heard this before..And something about cucumbers..? But, so..-Stupid- You just..put them on your eyes over night or something?..

China-Lilly
07-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Corrective colours of makeup do work - but since you're inexperienced, as you say, with makeup, then this probably is not the best avenue to go down. Instead of dark circles under your eyes, you could end up with yellow or peach ones! If you do want to go this way, then Laura Mercier's Secret Camouflage has 2 shades in one compact, with one shade more peach-toned - you mix them to use.

I think concealer would be the answer here too. Personally, I like Cle de Peau. Best concealer I have tried so far. I apply it with Jane Iredale Camouflage brush and it works perfectly.

I also really like YSL's Touche Eclat - this is a really light-weight product that highlights those dark areas to make them less dark. This is not a concealer though, but it still works wonders on dark circles. Don't bother with the cheaper copies (Revlon, The Body Shop), they aren't the same.

One thing to be aware of is don't try to overcompensate dark circles with too light a concealer. Most people go one shade lighter than their foundation - or you can match your skintone if you don't wear foundation. Typically, I go slightly darker because I find this doesn't draw attention to my under eye area like a lighter concealer would.

Mako-san
07-25-2004, 10:41 AM
I hear that Prepration H works for puffyness around the eye, I have bags and dark circles under my eyes, and have yet to find a way to counteract them, but from makeup/runway shows, i hear that prepration H works to decrease the puffyness cause its an antiflammitory. anyone tries this?

Jen-neko
07-25-2004, 01:52 PM
I use powder foundation, so I found that a little liquid concealer under the eye with the powder over it looks pretty good. I still think the stick concealer would work better (since it's heavier makeup), but haven't had the money to test it out :P Keep in mind, I don't have puffiness under my eyes, just dark circles...

China-Lilly
07-25-2004, 09:07 PM
They took the ingredient that makes puffiness disappear out of Preparation H, so that's no longer used for that purpose. I hear the current strange fad is using nipple cream as lip balm.

Chibi Plush Toy
07-25-2004, 09:35 PM
As stated in Princess Diaries - the cucumber does nothing, it's just something they make up

but what about the cold cream?? XD

anyway I'm gonna try the tea bag thing since i just made a hot pot of tea : )

thanks to my two guinea pigs who are trying this!!

pink_killer
07-25-2004, 09:43 PM
As stated in Princess Diaries - the cucumber does nothing, it's just something they make up

but what about the cold cream?? XD

anyway I'm gonna try the tea bag thing since i just made a hot pot of tea : )

thanks to my two guinea pigs who are trying this!!

Oink Oink Squee..

Jen-neko
07-25-2004, 10:08 PM
They took the ingredient that makes puffiness disappear out of Preparation H, so that's no longer used for that purpose. I hear the current strange fad is using nipple cream as lip balm.

There was something on Best Week Ever (VH1) about this lip balm called Lip Venom that makes your lips swell up....I hear it hurts, too....=o_O= Why anyone would want to use that is beyond me...=^^=;;

With the tea bag thing, is there any kind of tea in particular that works best? (Like, say, green tea versus....english breakfast tea =^^=;; I have both in my cupboard...:P)

pink_killer
07-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Well I'm using green tea since it's the only tea I have in the house XD And the only tea I drink. Not fond of english tea. But if you lay back and rest the bags over your eyes and listen to nature music..Oh man - so relaxing!

And smells good too.

Resuka
07-25-2004, 10:49 PM
I've been dealing with this very problem recently! ^_^;;

I ended up examining several possible contributing factors- sleep, diet, medications, environment, and so on. I found I really did need more sleep, and noted the place I had just moved into was dusty, causing my eyes to be continuously irritated.

Worse yet, I learned some acne medications may exacerbate the appearance of dark circles under your eyes- especially if you are using a medicated concealer on a regular basis (one that contains salicylic acid or similar active ingredient)-these formulas can be irritating to the delicate tissue. Some of my makeup contained these ingredients.

Hooking up my air filter, changing my medications and foundation, getting some under-eye lotion to help the healing process, and adding in an extra hour of sleep each night has had an effect on my eyes that I'm very appreciative of!

Dewy
07-25-2004, 10:55 PM
i have those >.>

Concealer works for me, acutally...sometimes..

What kind of teabag are you suposed to use? Any kind? O.o

pink_killer
07-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I guess any kind. I have some that don't have strings and I really don't like them to put in tea since then I have to fish them out, but they work for eyepatches and I guess teapatches so, hey, XD found some use for them at last!

Chibi Plush Toy
07-26-2004, 12:09 AM
lol yeah any kind works. With my luck all I have is Jasmine tea, green tea, ceylon, Lipton Brisk, brown rice...just don't redip them in your tea if you've used them already over your eyes XD

Jen-neko
07-26-2004, 11:26 PM
I was just at Wal-Mart today and saw some under-eye specific stuff (by St. Ives). Was $2.50.....said it reduced puffiness and stuff. So if anyone wants to go try that, then yeah :3 (I didn't 'cause I don't have the puffiness...but anyone that does....can't go wrong with only $2.50 =^^=)

archangeli
07-27-2004, 12:35 AM
I use Bobbi Brown's creamy concealer kit (it's the concealer on top, loose powder on the bottom) and it has done wonders for me. It is heavier than most concealers, and is very rich and creamy. But it essentially erases my undereye circles completely ;)

If i'm in a hurry I'm just grab my MAC Studio Finish concealer pot and blend that in under my eyes. It doesn't cover as well as the BB concealer, but it does the trick.

I really want to try Clé de Peau since so many people rave about it :)

YunalescaSummon
08-02-2004, 10:18 AM
White eyeliner opens up the eye more. I can't remember exactly what my stage-makeup course told me, but neatly blended powder foundation--so much more easily controlled than liquid--should work too.

wh0r3filth
08-02-2004, 12:43 PM
I really want to try Clé de Peau since so many people rave about it :)

Could someone please tell me where I could purchase this Clé de Peau concealer? I'm curious to try it after hearing so many good reviews on it. I'm pretty sure I'd have to get it online. Do they have a website, or could someone tell me a site that sells the Clé de Peau products? Thanks :)

YunalescaSummon
08-02-2004, 04:15 PM
http://www.sca.shiseido.com/cledepeau/ It's a site to locate stores in your area.

wh0r3filth
08-02-2004, 10:53 PM
http://www.sca.shiseido.com/cledepeau/ It's a site to locate stores in your area.

Yeah, I went to that site. Only problem is the closest store to me is in Boston. A good hour to an hour and a half away :(. Thanks though

China-Lilly
08-03-2004, 02:44 AM
For teabags, I use ordinary lipton teabags and finds that works to reduct puffiness - but the effect is very temporary. I have heard people recommend rosehip teabags as the ones to use.

I've also heard that grated potato wrapped in some thin cloth and used as a compress on the eyes also works. Never tried it though.

Re Lip plumpers - most work by causing an allergic reaction in your lips. That's why they look plumper. An exception to this would be Super Duper lips by Joey NY. That one requires you to massage your lips for 2 mins. Now, in my opinion, with or without product, if you massage your lips for 2 mins, they will look plumper anyway!

Rikkie
08-15-2004, 12:12 AM
From what I know, you need yellow concealers since yellow neutralizes the blue-ish areas...Physicians Formula is pretty good. I would never get those cheap brands soo yep.. I don't really have bad under eye circles but I have my ways of covering them. Sometimes I use foundation (of your skin color) and apply around that area, then top it off with powder using a good brush..of the same color for best results. works well for me, hope that helps!!

Chaos o^.^o
08-15-2004, 09:22 AM
:eek: I figured they never go away. I can't wear dark eye shadow cause I look like a panda.

anime_firelight
09-13-2004, 06:00 PM
First of all, try getting some sleep or napping. The thing about using cucumbers and tea bags... O__O It's similar as to using eye masks. I relieves your eye area of stress. Warm gel compressors will reduce the puffiness and so will cool ones. I have a problem with genetics, too. I have natural lines that can't really be covered up. I guess giving your eyes speshul treatments may help improve the results you get when using makeup XD I''m make up impaired... so I can't really help with the make up part. Good luck

Xanthe Kelsylva
09-15-2004, 01:23 PM
I don't have a problem with puffiness, but there's this dark area under my eyes (almost an angular shape) and I'm really pale. For the most part it doesn't show because I wear glasses, but it shows up in pictures. I think the tea bags and cucumber ideas would do the trick if they relieve stress because I definitely have a lot of stress on my eyes (eg staying up waaaaaaay too late)

Olivia
09-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Ok, I don't know if anyone brought this up or not, but use a pinkish concealer to cover up under eye circles. Yellow and green are used to cover up pink and red.