PDA

View Full Version : Y-con: Why It's 18+, and Rules Regarding Age

Beramode
07-28-2004, 03:11 AM
For those that can deal with legalese:

http://yaoicon.com/content/view/9/37/

English translation forthwith. I'm not misinterpreting or embellishing it or anything - this is California law, straight up. Please don't try to challenge it.

Basically - yes, you CAN come to Ycon if you're under 18. You will have to obtain *prior* approval from the Director (her email address is at the Yaoi-con site, under "Contact Us") - it WILL NOT be handled on-site. Once you've gotten approval, you will be given waivers to fill out - this basically says that your parent is responsible for your conduct / exposure to 18+ material, as well as your following the rules.

While at-con:

You'll have to have the parent/guardian with you at all times - actually, within 6-8 feet of them while on con premises. If at any time rules are broken, both you and your guardian may be given the boot and banned from the con.

That about covers things, I guess. ^^

ACXchan
07-28-2004, 11:41 AM
... This must be new @D@ Last year they wouldn't even allow that. One girl had even asked about getting a waiver from her parents and the answer was no x_x Unless this rule is one of those secret loophole things that Yaoi Con tries to use sparingly...

Michi
07-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Is this new for this year? Haha man.. This is the first year I can attend YaoiCon for real (turned 18 last December), but it doesn't matter... I won't make it there this year. ^^; But I did hang out in the lobby in '01 and '03, when I was 15 and 17. >_> I did that just 'cause my friends were gathered there for the con and I could see them then easily, really. I didn't try to sneak into anything. :P

Kokuu
07-28-2004, 11:03 PM
I was talking to the people at the Yaoi con booth at Fanime 2003, since I wanted to find out if I could go, but I was short by 6 months. They said that they've had one 17 1/2 year old girl go with her mother, signing all the wavers and the whole 6 feet rule. I think that you have to be at least 17 to go if you go with a parent/guardian. But would you really want to go unless one of your parents were a fan of the genre. I personally would be mortified if my parents ever found out what yaoi is and the fact that I'm such a fangirl. But that doesnít matter to me, since Iím 18, but sadly I wonít be able to go. Iíve lived near SF all of my life, but now Iím going to be down in San Diego, and I have school. :(

Beramode
07-28-2004, 11:58 PM
ACX: I'm not sure who would have said no - as far as I know, this isn't something most of the staff is informed about, so I guess they might not have known it was possible; either that, or it was misunderstood by one or both parties (the parents can't just scribble down a waiver, it has to be the official form and taken care of pre-event).

We don't have 'secret loophole things,' - we want the people that can enjoy the con to do so, but we do have to protect ourselves legally. We've had more than a couple of people try to challenge the waiver thing, and it's resulted in more than a fair share of headaches for the Director.

I'm not sure if there's a minimum cutoff age - I'll ask to make sure. However, I do know that (through the years we've had Y-con) there have been three approvals.

Ashe
07-29-2004, 02:06 PM
That is fantastic. I'm really glad to see that Yaoicon is being generous enough to find ways to let responsible minors attend. Kudos.

ACXchan
07-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Beramode, yeah I think maybe it was a case of the staff not knowing about the waiver. The impression I got from the reaction was that "Yaoi Con has been and will always be 18+" Actually it might have had to do with the no-exception regarding someone who turns 18 only days after Yaoi Con >_o

But haha yeah I don't know if I'd want my parent to be with me either. Not only would it be awkward ("OMG Ryoma's sticking Tezuka with a racket, I must buy this doujinshi!") I imagine that I'd be embarassed posing for yaoi photos with a parent there XD Oh well it's no big deal for me, I'm 18+ oh ho ho ho ho.

It's nice to see Yaoi Con working with people who have open-minded parents though ^ ^ Good luck to anyone looking to get a waiver approved.

Michi
07-30-2004, 12:22 PM
So this has been in effect for a while, but just wasn't publicized? =/

ACXchan
08-01-2004, 02:15 AM
That's the impression I'm getting. I guess if I were on the staff at YCon I wouldn't want to publicize it either >_o They might get hassled by parents wanting to get their kid in/out of the con @D@

Karisu-sama
08-03-2004, 03:24 AM
Ah! Well, when we go to Y-con, my kids "are on the premesis" (as in: they merely are in the hotel room or non-con-space hotel public areas); perhaps during the year my oldest will turn 18 just AFTER Y-con, I'll see about that waiver - assuming she can stand staying within an embarrassing 6-8" of her Yaoi-fan mom. ^^.... :p

ACXchan
08-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Haha no offense to you Karisu, but I wouldn't want to have to stay within 6-8' of a parent at Yaoi Con period XD I wonder if they can relax on the 6-8' rule though, since people will have to use the bathroom, take photographs, and end up having to sit separately if they're late for a panel or something.

Karisu-sama
08-03-2004, 09:38 PM
I don't think bathrooms are officially "con premesis", so I could stand outside the door. ^^

Knowing my kid, she's more likely to be made to hang out near more racy material than she wants to see if she's stuck to me. :p Yes, how very embarrassing for her. :p

ACXchan
08-03-2004, 09:57 PM
*LOL* somehow that might seem scarier... parent being more of a lech than child XD;;;

Karisu-sama
08-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Lech? Karisu is merely a healthy adult, with many years between me and my formerly excessive modesty. :) :p

Usagi Mylene
08-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Too bad I can't play Guardian for my firend. She turns 18 the day after Yaoi-con and she has been wanting to go.

I think her parents would die if they knew about Yaoi.... really... they would die twice...

but I am glad that they have this rule for those mature enough to attened Y-con.

ACXchan
08-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Karisu used to be excessively modest XD?

Mylene, birthdays so close after Yaoi Con are a real downer. Although getting a waiver involves not just a mature minor but also open-minded and understanding parents. I believe that legal guardians may work for this kind of waiver too though, kind of like how siblings older than 20-something can take their little brother or sister under 17 into rated R movies >_o

Michi
08-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I turned 18 only two months after YaoiCon last year... Birthdays at the very end of the year (I'm three days before Christmas X_x) suck. Meh, and I won't make it to YaoiCon this year either now that I can finally attend. Bleh.

Seig Warheit
08-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Wow.... looks like I definatey won't go this year. My mom barely understands the concept of lightly erotic material. My mom and Yaoi would DEFINATLY not mix. Especially since I wouldn't be going for the Yaoi to begin with... I don't look 18 either so that wouldn't help... I look like a friggin 15 year old...

Usagi Mylene
08-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Mylene, birthdays so close after Yaoi Con are a real downer. Although getting a waiver involves not just a mature minor but also open-minded and understanding parents. I believe that legal guardians may work for this kind of waiver too though, kind of like how siblings older than 20-something can take their little brother or sister under 17 into rated R movies >_o

My friend is very mature for her age. Her parents are not open-minded from I keep hearing. But it wouldn't work for me to bring her since I am not a legal guardian.

I guess I shall be taking lots of pictures and buying her stuff.

FantasyAngel
08-05-2004, 11:09 AM
*sighs* Just two more years until I can attend! I don' think I would want my mom to be with me at a yaoi con...no, that wouldn't be a pretty picture...

~Fantasy Angel:heart:

Kitsune-sama
08-13-2004, 05:08 PM
--; damn it all..................Why must I be too young?

All life is meaningless.....

Marychan
08-14-2004, 01:31 AM
WHY WHY WHY was I born in November. If only I was born before June/July(the month the convention is held) then I'll be able to attend Yaoi-con' 05. WHY.

Yeah right drag my mom to the con. Beside being way to lazy to select this alternative my mom would suffer a heart attack if she knew what yaoi is, and if she survives, she'll throw me in a physicatric hospital.

Oh well I'll just a find a way to get in the yaoi panel at AX'05 my friend will be 18 by then. I slightly look like her, hummmmm. Evil laughter.

YAOI RULZ.

Bealmira
09-02-2004, 04:26 AM
*laughs* If my parents found out what yaoi was... they might very well go insane. But I'd be the one they'd send to the institution. *grins* Thinking about it though, I've made so many comments about yaoi that it's surprising they don't know what it is.

But I... I have quite awhile to go before I can go to YaoiCon. I'm too old for my age, curse it! :miffed: Sometimes I wish I was either born four years earlier or with knowing, excepting parents. *laughs*

All life is meaningless..... but YAOI RULZ.

Pip Bernadette
09-02-2004, 09:32 PM
oh man...what a way to put that..why can i picture yer poor child hiding her head and blushing as you flip through yaoi and oogle this pics?

Kenjiro
09-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Here is my opinion for you guys...

Its not until you're 18 that matters about Yaoi-con. Sure, you'll be all googly to finally be legal to attend, but the con is only so much fun unless you're 21.

Of course, I am an alcoholic, so I might be biased.

ACXchan
09-03-2004, 08:38 PM
From my experience no con sponsors alcoholic drinking or bars so that can be said for *any* convention XD

Sixshot
09-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Here is my opinion for you guys...

Its not until you're 18 that matters about Yaoi-con. Sure, you'll be all googly to finally be legal to attend, but the con is only so much fun unless you're 21.

Of course, I am an alcoholic, so I might be biased.

I've been under 21 for the last two conventions and really I still think it's a lot of fun. There are only two things you can do if you're twenty one that someone else at this con cant. . .

Drink
Get a hooker

Somehow I doubt either of these would affect my con experience, although I can't even hold down that much alcohol so if I were to drink a lot at a con I'd just end up in the bathroom for the rest of the time.

LotsatiArma
10-18-2004, 06:54 AM
I like going to all the cons, so borin around here :p Im 17- I look clearly in my 20's so could i maybe get in? If they check IDs thats whack.. And how could they enforce the 6-8 feet rule, are there going to be friggen cosplayer cops around hahahah

Genki Panda
10-18-2004, 05:42 PM
I like going to all the cons, so borin around here :p Im 17- I look clearly in my 20's so could i maybe get in? If they check IDs thats whack.. And how could they enforce the 6-8 feet rule, are there going to be friggen cosplayer cops around hahahah

Whether you look in your 20s or not doesn't matter. They will check IDs.

I don't understand how checking IDs is "whack". You do realise the trouble staff and YCon would be in if someone under 18 was allowed in, don't you? Speaking as a member of YCon staff, I certainly do not want to get in trouble just because I didn't check someone's ID before issueing them a badge.

Sorry if that sounded snitty x_x;;... it wasn't my intention ><;.

ThatYaoiBoy
10-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Saaaa I can't make it this year either :( too many cons to attend. I sw ear I'm gonna go next year, I have to at some point XD even though I'm on the East coast.

dom's_gurl
01-20-2005, 09:46 PM
I have FIVE BLOODY YEARS UNTIL I CAN GO!!! (collapses into crying blubbering mess) WAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Pip Bernadette
01-20-2005, 09:48 PM
yeah..i was upset too when i couldnt go..it almost bloody killed me lol

Firestar
02-04-2005, 10:09 PM
I was talking to the people at the Yaoi con booth at Fanime 2003, since I wanted to find out if I could go, but I was short by 6 months. They said that they've had one 17 1/2 year old girl go with her mother, signing all the wavers and the whole 6 feet rule. I think that you have to be at least 17 to go if you go with a parent/guardian. But would you really want to go unless one of your parents were a fan of the genre. I personally would be mortified if my parents ever found out what yaoi is and the fact that I'm such a fangirl. But that doesnít matter to me, since Iím 18, but sadly I wonít be able to go. Iíve lived near SF all of my life, but now Iím going to be down in San Diego, and I have school. :(

Haha, yes, totally agreed. To be honest, Yaoi-Con isnt really something for me. I mean, if I lived there, & couldnt go, then i'd be pretty pissed, but, I live in southern cali (near burbank, but we've moved from burbank currently.) & yea. I can't even travel up to San Francisco for Anime Overdose, something I really wanna go to. Not to mention, I wouldnt wanna have a parent w/ me the whole time. Thts really no fun. >.> I'd much rather be @ the larger cons.

--Ashley <3 :heart: :love:

Rogue Marvel
02-27-2005, 02:51 PM
this rule really intrestes me. I'm not really a big yaoi fan but Y-con has always sounded like alot of fun so I have wanted to go. It really seems like somthing my younger sister might really enjoy and I have wanted to take her as an 18th birthday present, but her 18 birthday isn't in till december. If we could get forms signed by my folks and I could count as her guarden I would maybe take her this year (plus then I won't have to make her wait months to get her birthday present.

and as for the distance rule..I'm just keep her on a leash.

YukiPhnx
02-27-2005, 04:53 PM
they sed it's a guardian rite? so it doesn't HAVE to b ur parents. jus like that rule for AA movies. my b-day is in nov.....-_- so i have.....3 yrs before i get to go actually...........o poo. and i live in Toronto too. but it'll b one big road trip for me and my friends! ^_^