PDA

View Full Version : Trick Swords

Babbit_Chan
06-18-2002, 08:33 PM
I need to know how to make trick swords - or else the email address to someone who can make one for me. I want one in the style of Utena's sword and I thought it would be cool to have that effect since I haven't seen too many that have thought of that (but I live under a rock so I could be wrong). Any help would be appreciated ^_^

Yggdrasil Pie
06-19-2002, 10:39 AM
I'm sorry....This is gonna go off topic..but, What's a trick sword?

I'm curious, can't blame me... ^_^;;;

Babbit_Chan
06-19-2002, 10:48 AM
They're like trick daggers - when you push the blade against something the blade goes in for a "realistic" effect so it really loks like the blade went through.

Scoti
06-19-2002, 11:29 AM
I've never seen anyone make those but I'm sure it's possible

dark_arkis77
06-27-2002, 03:42 PM
sounds sw33t!!
If anyone finds out where/how to make one, let me in on the secret (and none of that Xelloss secretive-ness now /\ ~ )

Quies
06-27-2002, 04:47 PM
*ponders*
well, thinking about the toy trick josting staff i have like that I would have to say the trick to it (no pun intended) is to plan to devide your sword's blade up into slightly overlaping sections. just slightly. the peice do have to be hollow. and that could be the only problem, incase it gets to wide. and it also has to get slightly narrower as it goes to the point. but anywhere, you make the overlaping peices, a posteroboard might work quite well, and then you take the biggest peice (the one closest to the hilt) turn it upside down, and start putting the other peices into it.(you would have wanted to paint it before this, or else the paint will dry it together. next biggest and next and so on. one they are through, let gravity drop them down, give it a slight tug (don't want to rip you matterial) and it will stay out. ram it into someone and it will go in. Now if you want it to pop back out afterwards (and you can avoid going this extra step by just holding it slightly down ward after stabing the person) you can place a spring in it (you might have to use some heavier material/paper to mange this). you some how ground the spring into your hilt, how depends on what the hilt in made out of, and make sure it's along neough spring to reach the end of the sword without strechting, where you also ground it. hot glues here probally. then (sapposedly) after you stab the person it will want to straiten back out. the only other suggestion i can give you on the spring is to put a dowl stick in it (short enough so that the sword can push in) and this should give a gide to the spring for when it pushes back down so that it does not get tanged up. and there you have it.*

*not responsable for any mishapse or damage (emotionaly/pshyical) that may occur.

lol. i hope that helps.

Ayaka
06-28-2002, 12:25 AM
I have a stage trick knife; the blade is all once piece, and is loaded on a spring so that it retracts into the hilt when you "stab" someone with it. A mechanism kinda like in a Pez dispenser. I'm really not sure you can do one sword length, because at least how my logic works, you have to have something big enough for the blade to retract into. So the blade would definitely have to be several tapering pieces so it would fit in the hilt. Like a Russian wooden doll, small to large. More complicated than a retracting dagger and it wouldn't be as "realistic" not retracted . . .

But I think your best bet is to look for magic supply shops and ask them if they carry something like that or can tell you who could make it. Also, maybe the theater department at a local university, or even a local pro company could tell you, if you got someone friendly.

rayechu
06-28-2002, 02:55 AM
::hmmms:: what if you had a flat one piece blade that was just on a track and went partway into the hollow hilt. to elaborate, but I find it hard to explain. imagine you are looking at the swrod if you made the hilt hollow inside it would sorta look like a subway samwich " U " and if the blade looked somwthing like a " T " it would slide up and down the ' U " like lead in a mechanical pencil. to kee the blade out you could have something that covers the hole and doesn't et the blade downlike a latch on a door. and when you need it to slide down take the bar off/out and the blade will slide freely. If that made any sense whatsoever......

Kenshin Ken
06-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Well I won't know if this helps, but I have a few telescoptic Tai chi swords. they're made on the same princapal as the Collapsiable Joust up there that's mentioned. the blade and tip of coruse is not at all lethal. but it makes for a nice effect.

Babbit_Chan
06-30-2002, 05:39 PM
@_@ *drops confused* I think I understood Rayechu's the best - I'll have to read Quies's more thoroughly X-x;; And Kenshin, what in the world do you mean by telescoptic? O_<