PDA

View Full Version : Is It Ok to Cosplay From an American Comic?

SexyStellaGrl
07-28-2004, 11:29 PM
I wuz thinkin about cosplaying as Emma Sonnet from 10th Muse for Katsucon or next year's otakon. Im having doubts though cuz I dont know if doing an american comic would be good at an anime convention... Please give me opnions, and please be honest.

Elemental
07-29-2004, 12:04 AM
I have never had a problem with an American Comic character at an Anime Con, and most people don't. You can find cosplay from american comics, movies, and tv shows throught most cons, they simply aren't as common as anime based ones.
Occasionally some people get affronted by the idea of something 'not Japanese' at a con, but since I cosplay for myself and my own enjoyment, I put them in the 'grain of salt' category.
I've never heard of the character or Comic, but I wish you luck nonetheless. ^^

E1000BASE-TX
07-29-2004, 06:06 AM
I wuz thinkin about cosplaying as Emma Sonnet from 10th Muse for Katsucon or next year's otakon. Im having doubts though cuz I dont know if doing an american comic would be good at an anime convention... Please give me opnions, and please be honest.
No one rely cares if or if not you cosplay something form Japan... There are people cosplaing people form 8-Bit, Megatokyo, Peny Arcade, and Hary potter!!

Gren
07-29-2004, 09:31 AM
At A-kon in Dallas, we had two phoenixes, two night crawlers, a rogue, a spiderman, and I cosplayed Storm. (And thoser are just the charachters I bumped into) I know that I personally received nothing but positive reactions to it. If someone had a problem with my costume, they certainly kept it to themselves.

Wear the costume you want. Don't stress over how others will think of it. People at cons tend to be a very accepting lot.

Lythari
08-04-2004, 02:18 PM
I've worn my Casey Jones costume to 3 cons now, Katsu 04, AMA 04, and Otakon 04. And I got the most attention at Otakon. There are some idiots out there, but most people don't care or like the out-of-the-ordinary costumes.

kyojin_alex
08-04-2004, 02:20 PM
its all good. Cosplay whatever you want.

evil_neko
08-12-2004, 11:25 PM
If you do, be warned, while there WILL be people who are all for it (if it's done well ^^; ), there will be just as many, if not more, who pull the "OMGWTFBBQ THIS IS AN ANIME CONVENTION". Personally, I think that you should cosplay any character you like and feel a strong connection to. I thought was that "cosplay" really was. It really shouldn't matter what nationality their creator was, as long as the character is pulled off well.

Archelon
08-13-2004, 12:20 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Forget what other people think. Just do it because you want to do it. However, if you plan on taking part in a masquerade, I have heard that some cons don't award prizes to people who aren't cosplaying something of Japanese origin. Either way, if it makes you feel any better, I'll be cosplaying Snake Eyes from GI Joe for Otakon next year. That certainly is NOT of Japanese origin.

NOISEMAN
08-13-2004, 02:55 AM
just make sure it's a kickass costume and a kickass character... don't go cosplaying as boostergold or calculatorman.

YunalescaSummon
08-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Cosplaying as a rock counts. But only if that rock has character. Had my Spock costume--yes, Spock from Star Trek--not fallen through, I would have worn it to Otakon.

E1000BASE-TX
08-13-2004, 06:58 PM
BTW I'm going to cosplay an "Eleet Crew" form the online game Counter Strike.

Shinigami_Mimi
08-14-2004, 09:12 AM
evil_neko: Omg. XD I heard that lines so many times in anime cons.

Well, it is true. Basically the cons tell you to cosplay anime, manga, video games, or anything based on Japanese culture. But it doesn't really matter. Cosplaying is cosplaying. You do it for the love of the character, not to get anyone mad. XD So go for it! Lol. I've seen many Megatokyo ppl and I love their outfits. I might considering doing an American web comic cosplay one day. X.x But I never heard of 10th Muse. O.o; Is it good?

Himemiya
08-14-2004, 01:25 PM
IMHO: It is okay to wear *anything*. Comic conventions are dork conventions. If you think someone else will know who you are, they probably will. <3 Otakon is a good con to wear non-anime costumes, because its SO BIG and there are SO MANY COSPLAYERS that you're bound to find someone else that loves the character too.

Grencia Mars
08-15-2004, 03:04 AM
This coming year Katsu is changing from an anime con to an international animation convention which I fully support. I say go for it ^_^ I personally would looove to cosplay something from Super Girl, Watchman, or.. something equally entertaining.