PDA

View Full Version : My character's pale, and I'm too TAN! ;_; What should I do?

kaliko_rosa
07-29-2004, 03:36 AM
I've got a problem! I've got a somewhat hispanic complexion: tanned skin, dark hair, and the characters I would like to go as don't share the same features whatsoever! o_o!

As seen in my icon, I already cosplayed Kaoru Kamiya, but I never got to find a way to make myself pale enough to cosplay her more accurately. Upcoming on my cosplays-to-do-list are Quistis Trepe from FF8 and Lacus Clyne from Gundam SEED, and both require a level of paleness that even most paler people probably wouldn't naturally have *sigh*

I don't really want to be paper-white, but I do need a way to lighten my complexion considerably... at least close to a darker Caucasian tone. Also, the makeup will have to be able to stay on not just my face, but also my neck, shoulders, stomach and hands (if possible) for a good amount of time. Is there any product out there that I can use which can also be comfortable and does not get on other surfaces?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated! As is, there are too many cosplays I have in mind that face this problem. Thank you very much! :)

freakyarcher
07-29-2004, 06:54 AM
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=778764#post778764 sorry but there is a thread on this already

Wakusei
07-29-2004, 12:32 PM
It's my opinion that a skin tone tutorial should be stickyed to the top of this board, The following link is yet another post dealing with that same question...
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=39096

kaliko_rosa
07-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the link freakyarcher, but there were a ton of different replies.. I'm still not sure what's best.

You mentioned that you ordered something off gothicasylum? How did that work out?

mysticalchali
07-29-2004, 05:50 PM
You could always go the Micheal Jackson route...JUST KIDDING....SERIOUSLY!!!! I really am kidding!

lil_neko
08-13-2004, 10:45 AM
I have the same exact problem! Though I do have a friend that has the type of compexion that we want. She uses Destin and Baby Powder to cover her blemishes. It really works to make her lighter and it doesn't rub off that easy. I have only tried it once. From the looks of it we have about the same skin tone so it would lighten you about 3 or 4 shades depending on how much you use. There is another way to help keep yourself from darking before a con. Abot 4 to 6 weeks before when you are out side (espically in summer) always use the strongest sunscreen you can find. 50spf is the highest and best, but really hard to find. I usally use 45 and that keeps me from tanning very much. Also if you can, try to stay in the the shade whenever possiable. Sorry that I can't give you much more than that, mostly since I was looking for a better way to lighten my skin with makeup also. Meow!!!!!

kaliko_rosa
08-13-2004, 11:54 PM
Lil neko ^_^,

Thanks for your advice! :D. Well, I have to say I'm relieved to see I'm not the only person with this problem ^_^;; And I haven't found many solutions yet either :(. The other thread that talked about lightening skin gave a lot of names of products... but they didn't really describe what the products were, and I doubt I could get them easily. So it's kind of frustrating >_<;; As for the products you mentioned, were can they be bought? As long as you can find them in pretty basic places, like a mall, I should be okay ^_^.

lol, I should put on sunscreen, but the thing is, I like to tan! X3. I can't help it, tan is a nice skintone... just not the greatest for cosplay, you know? >_<; Ergh, it's very difficult because me and my b/f always like to do couple cosplays, but I find 99% of the time the male character will be tanned and the female will be pale... so it never quite works ^^;; (and I wouldn't talk him into crossplaying, X3). *sigh* Do you have any tanned chara recommendations?

Anyway, best of luck in your search. I will be on the lookout for the products you mentioned for my next cosplays :D. Thanks!

Michi
08-14-2004, 02:41 AM
There's been a few threads on tanned characters. I remember submitting a bunch of ideas to one of them. ^^ Let me go find it for you.

...Aha! http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=7710 ^_^ There y'go.

Azhures
08-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Ok, stay inside.... From now until the convention............. lol. I am just naturally pale in color. So I could fit perfect into my Azhures role lol. But as for paleness..... hmm.... The body parts people will see of you... they have powders and what not that lighten skin tones I guess... But look into that.

lil_neko
08-17-2004, 09:08 AM
I am gald that I could be of help to you. As for the Destin and Baby Powder. Wal-Mart or any store like it. They can both be found in the Baby department. Destin is a diaper rash cream and of course Baby Powder is just that. But don't let what the products are for turn you away, they do work better than some other stuff out there. They are aslo cheap and easy to find.
There Are a few characters that are tan that if I had the body for them I would cosplay them. There is Tanya from Battle Athletes, Merle from Escaflowne, Kaye form Dirty Pair, Pirotess from Record of Lodoss War, Nadia from Nadia, A few more that I can't remember the names but the series are Dot Hack, Ah! My Goddess!, and maybe not sure Varible Geo (it's been a while since I watched it). I can't really think of many other characters at the moment. Those are just the ones that I would like to attempt at some time.
As for the whole coupling. I sometimes have the same probelm with my husband. Though he will Tan in the summer (usally) and I will sometimes lighten in the winter. My suggestion is to just go to a search and type in "Anime Pics" and look around. Even if you do not know the series look at the characters and if they look intersting enough research it and see if the caracters fit what you are wanting to do. Hope that this is helpful. Please let me know if any of this has helped you out or not. Meow meow :dance:

sailor-moon
08-17-2004, 12:05 PM
simple this is what you say if someone becomes bitchy with you on your "acuracy" : MY CHARACTER WAS AT A BEACH AND GOT A TAAANNN

XD

Biscuit
08-17-2004, 01:46 PM
simple this is what you say if someone becomes bitchy with you on your "acuracy" : MY CHARACTER WAS AT A BEACH AND GOT A TAAANNN

XD

*LOL I agree that is the perfect thing to say ^____^

makotohanabi
08-18-2004, 08:14 PM
BC from Vandread and a couple of chicks (can't remember their names) from Love Hina are dark skinned. I'm dark skinned too and I don't bother lightening my skin for cosplaying. Personally it never occured to me to lighten my skin, tho I usually cosplay pale characters like Saya and Schuldig. Get lots of complements about the costumes, no one notices or cares about my skin color.

Sporkstress
08-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Personaly... if I were you, I wouldn't worry about being that accurate. Sure, accuracy is nice, but if you naturaly dark skin, and you like getting a tan, so what? I've seen tons of cosplays do people like Quistis Trepe that are asian, they arn't exacly Caucasian now, are they? (Yes, I know, they say that there isn't a single FF char that isn't japanese, but they sure don't look it, do they?) And I think they cosplay who they are doing just fine. I'm sure you look just fine too without have a super accurate skin tone.

deschaos
09-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Find out if your tan is genetic. Some people are naturally darker than others.

It's really hard to change your nationality appearance, so I actually would want to play it up.

Some characters are Urd from Ah my goddess, Mimiru from .hack//, black rose from .hack, randy from gunsmith cats.

thebebop
09-01-2004, 07:25 PM
umm ive got the exact opposite of this problem, my character is kinda tan, i want to do iruka (naruto) but in some scenes he looks tan-ish but then in some he doesnt, what do you guys think? im white but im just wondering if that might throw the character off a bit, not make it as realistic i mean.

alostblackcat
09-04-2004, 03:29 PM
it's actually a bit simpler IMO to get darker

you can find a darker shade of foundation and if you wanna do arms and stuff you could use a bronzer or if you're really into it a self tanner