PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Games

Rey-Rey
12-07-2002, 12:06 PM
OMG. I'm starting a serious topic. =O

What do you think have been the most overhyped, overrated games you've ever played? =O

the source
12-07-2002, 12:09 PM
::thinks hard:: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Halo. i mean it was fun the first couple of times but after awhile it was just the same ol thing.

soshi
12-07-2002, 12:13 PM
any Final Fantasy game.

the source
12-07-2002, 12:18 PM
ouch man very ouch.

Rey-Rey
12-07-2002, 12:20 PM
He's got his opinions. I'd just like to know why. =O

Here's one for me...

Soul Calibur: I just thought it was Soul Edge with souped-up graphics. Sure, it's a deep game but I'd still rather play Street Fighter II Turbo. =O

psythe
12-07-2002, 12:32 PM
Neverwinter Nights and Halo

Sami
12-07-2002, 12:40 PM
Final Fantasy 8 on up through the present. Squaresoft is still losing its touch with me.. FF6 was its best work, IMO. But ah well. People must like it, it's popular.

May I add DDR to the list.. okay, I shall. ^___^ *holds up trashcan lid to deflect projectiles*

Celine
12-07-2002, 01:11 PM
Panzer Dragoon Saga.

So many people said it was the greatest and most amazing game ever (only RPG in the PD series). It is super rare and therefore insanely expensive, so if you haven't played it, chances are you never will. Although I was a mild fan of the other PDs (everyone should play Orta, I expect good things from it), I was really disappointed by this game. Every review I read said "this is the greatest RPG ever!!" and yet when I played it, it was decidedly not the greatest RPG ever. ^^

Cassandra
12-07-2002, 01:32 PM
a lot of the expansions for The Sims. All they really accomplish is slowing down your system to molasses-mode.

Rey-Rey
12-07-2002, 01:57 PM
Ha ha. I have Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Never finished it, though. But it IS good. Greatest RPG? Nah.

One more overrated game.

Mario Kart. More on 64, though.

soshi
12-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Rey-Rey

me? o.o

well... first off.. I'm a she. ^^;

second...

Final Fantasy games are good, yes, but I don't think they're the end-all of RPGS, like so many people make them out to be. I didn't play FF7 until a good 2 years after it came out, because my friend FREAKED OUT when I told them I'd never played it. they all exploded and acted as if God himself was going to come and strike me down for not playing this game. o_O; and I wasn't that impressed. for it's time, I'm sure it was great, but personally... I just didn't like it all that much... clones and world domination. whee. *shrug* so after that, I played FF8, and hated it ~ I thought it the plot was really stupid, and didn't care for the battle system. FF9 just didn't interest me at all.. FF10 I really enjoyed, but it should have been longer, and they should have just given it a decent ending instead of a sequel.

so yeah. my $2. =P

the source
12-07-2002, 03:07 PM
hey your opinion is your own. personally i did not like FF 7 or 8. ::hides:: neither caugh my attention. give me 6 or 9 any day. then again give me any of the classic ones.

Pool Cue Ronin
12-07-2002, 03:33 PM
OMG GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN HIVEMIND!
Over-rated games:
MGS2- Great soundtrack, horrid story, cookie cutter MGS.
MK Mythologies-Overhyped trash. Only redeemable quality was the bloopers.
Wild Arms 3- Boring, boring story, unrealistic characters. OK gameplay.
Any Final Fantasy after 6(except Tactics)- Do I REALLY have to say why? Let's play some games watch some movies!
-_-
Metroid Prime - It's good, but...not THAT good.
Mortal Kombat 4- Good reviews all around, but it is THE glitchiest MK of all.
Street Fighter Alpha 3- Pales in comparison to Alpha 2.
Phantasy Star Online- YAY MULTIPLATFORM MADNESS = Resubscription issues! Gay.
Grand Theft Auto 3- -_-

DJ(SiC)ness
12-07-2002, 04:12 PM
yeah i was pissed at MGS2, i wanted to play as Snake..wtf was with Raiden?

and i didn't like FF 8, i thought it was rushed, the story was thrown together and changed every 5 secounds. "oh we all grew up in a orphanage but we can't remember becuase when we use GF's they drain our memory...WTF?!" The characters i felt were lame to.

Arc_The_Lad
12-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Gran Turismo, all of them. they are so, well, BORING! its the same damn thing over and over. I had the first one, sold it within a week for 10$ brand new.

Arc_The_Lad
12-07-2002, 06:11 PM
oh and I almost forgot, Tomb Raider, I hated that game. The controls were the worst controls I've ever experienced, and due to this, the game is hard as hell, and the story sucks.

Choice
12-07-2002, 07:21 PM
ff7

gta3

DJ(SiC)ness
12-07-2002, 11:47 PM
yeah tomb raider games were repetitive and very lame... bad controls! BAD CONTROLS!

Morrissey
12-08-2002, 03:19 AM
All games brought here with the FF prefix with the exception of FF6 and Tactics.

Sirami
12-08-2002, 04:28 AM
Tomb raider was the first one that came to mind: The first big seller that made the platform jumping ganara REALLY SLOW.

Doom64: it was basically doom with worse grafix.

MK3+: MK2 was pretty fun; all the ones after sucked big time.

FF8: That one in particular is my least favorite. The others are great games. Not the best, but most of them are really good.

Everquest: It's a love or hate game, but it was still overhyped. I happened to hate it, as UO was much better for my style gameplay.

MGS2: It really isn't better than MGS. I actually like the first one more.

Virtua Fighter 4: Good game. Really, it's a good game. But that's all it is: a good game. I'd rather play Tekken 4, because that's a great game.

D: For the PSX. It got great reviews, but all that the game did was show off the new system's grafical capability.

Parapa the Rapper: The first game of the ganera that I ever saw. It's a terrible game, but it's the best of the ganera. To think that PSM rated that game over Castlevania SOTN!

Oh and I forgot Bushido Blade 2: Everything that was great about the first game was removed (except insta kills), and a crappy paired weapon system was implamented.

DJ(SiC)ness
12-08-2002, 04:49 AM
yeah i don't think everquest is that great..but i don't like alot of online rpgs most have no story, and the only goal is the level up

Chosuke
12-08-2002, 09:00 AM
I don't like FFVII Though really now I see i'm not the only one..

Finishing that game for me was as fun as getting my teeth pulled from my head.
I liked FFVIII and somewhat liked IX.
Tactics still owns though!! ISLUDE ISLUDE!

psythe
12-08-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Sirami

MK3+: MK2 was pretty fun; all the ones after sucked big time.

Get MKDA :bigtu: I was so-so about 3 and I hated 4 but MKDA is a really cool game to play against a friend and single player!

pakachu420
12-08-2002, 02:00 PM
State of Emergency
i almost lost all faith in Rockstar games after this one...

DJ(SiC)ness
12-08-2002, 04:00 PM
i couldn't figure out the point of state of emergency...it had like 4 damn levels

pakachu420
12-08-2002, 05:20 PM
there was supposed to be a point to it?

o_O?!?!

all it did was blow my wallet and force me through 4 levels of endless repition...

Heather
12-08-2002, 05:58 PM
I think FF games are overrated and Tomb Raider is too. O_O

Overrated makes me angry. XD

Marth
12-09-2002, 01:29 AM
I fully agree on The SIMs that is beyond boring

Spooky Brew
12-09-2002, 01:33 AM
I hate those Tycoon games as well, where you have set out to make your own 'land'. Those things made me hyperventaliate! Ah! I'm losing my business and the ferris wheel broke down and there's kids with water ballons ruining my park!
Again, not to great of a game.

SleepingKirby
12-09-2002, 03:54 AM
Gundam: Journey to Jaburo

You literally felt like you're driving a box. And I timed the controls, that lag you sometimes think you get in games? Well, it's real in this one. My joystick reacts a lot faster in Z.O.E. than it does in Journey to Jaburo. In my opinion, Z.O.E. is what Gundam:Journey to Jaburo should have been... Controls are way to darn hard in that game... targeting system's AI really sucked too.

Cassandra
12-09-2002, 08:07 AM
Well, I *like* The Sims. But all the expansions with the really cool stuff....half of them don't run right and when they DO, they slow your computer down.

For the Tycoon games, the only ones I have an like are Zoo Tycoon and Monopoly Tycoon :D They rock!

Scrapps
12-09-2002, 10:37 PM

Soul Calibur: I just thought it was Soul Edge with souped-up graphics. Sure, it's a deep game but I'd still rather play Street Fighter II Turbo. =O

Wow you're like the only person to say that. Wait I lied. I think the 2D/3D fighter thing is like Elvis or the Beatles. You can like both...but never equally. You either like one or the other. Do you like other 3D fighters?

Me I LOVE Soul Calibur...the graphics are great and the fighting is fast. Plus it really showed off what the DC was capable.

I loved Super Street Fight 2....but after playing so many 3d fighters....I just suck.

Oh and back on subject. Definitly FF...I think I played the first one to come out on the SNES....I kinda liked it...
And "here here" on the GTA3....
I love the GTA:London 1969 version though.;

Minki-The-Monki
12-09-2002, 11:36 PM
*Kertackles Sami to get past the trashcan lid.* How could you!?! *Cries.* DDR is the bestest..... It's okay though....I'll be alright...*Cries somemore.* But seriously why!? Why why why why why!?! *Stops his fake cring, and gets up, helps Sami up too.* It's okay I can forgive you. You seem pretty kool.

Ohmi
12-10-2002, 06:05 AM

Here's one for me...

Oh man.. Soul Calibur is my favorite fighting game.. it's so well balanced and just plain awesome! Anyone who says it doesn't have depth hasn't played enough. ^^ If you like 2D fighters better then that's your thing..

I think there are many many many overrated games.. I'm not going to list them all here 'cause it'd be a book.. I'd like to list Under-rated games! ^^

R-Type Delta: A great shooter now in 3D/2D

Vampire Savior: more creative than Street Fighter!

Grandia II: Final Fantasy's battle system hardly ever changes.. check this thing out! Good characters and story too!

Ikaruga: Beautiful! Excellent! Can you tell I like shooters? ^^

Enclave: it's like an action RPG european style.. quite nice!

Phantasy Star series: What can I say? The games that got me into RPGs in the first place!

3-D
12-10-2002, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by SohmaYuki
DDR is more than overrated, it's up there with FF for being games ppl play because it's a fad.

The Tekken series is overrated.
Nah, DDR isn't over rated. I won't rate it "greatest game ever" or anything, but it's a real blast to play, and a totally unexpected one at that. Honestly I had NO desire to play a dancing game EVER, then somebody dragged me on to the import DDR at a CPL competition about 3 years ago. I've been hooked ever since and glad to see it catch on everywhere. There's still people that don't play this "fad" just because they don't like it, and there's plenty of people like myself that just play because we honestly enjoy it. Heh.

As for "Dial-a-Combo"... errrr... I mean "Tekken", yeah it's an overrated piece of shit. Especially compared to Namco's masterpiece Soul Calibur, Tekken just pales completely. Kinda hard to believe they're from the same company, huh? :confused:

Rey-Rey
12-10-2002, 09:42 AM
Hmmm. Other 3-D fighters? I thoroughly enjoyed the FIRST Battle Arena Toshinden. And I didn't say that Soul Calibur sucks... just the way it was hyped by everybody as the GREATEST GAME TO EVER WALK THIS EARTH. And while I did think that Soul Edge was a great game in its own right, Soul Calibur (I felt) was just Soul Edge with souped-up graphics. Don't get me wrong; I think the game is great BUT far from the perfection everybody seems to perceive. As for me liking between 2-D and 3-D fighters, I don't think the bar for any fighting game was raised much higher since Street Fighter II Turbo. Everybody likes the 24-hit Supers that seems to fill fighting games nowadays. So, yes, Soul Calibur is great BUT overrated in my standards.

Am I the only one that STILL thinks Final Fantasy has been great throughout these years? VII brought it to the mainstream and while not as good as VI, certainly a great RPG in its own right. VIII, I NEVER finished, and I don't like it as much as VII, but it's STILL good despite the Junction system. IX is the SECOND BEST Final Fantasy in my opinion and X, even with a little disappointing story (IMO), is still better than most RPGs out in the market.

Let me get back to the topic.

I don't think Dance Dance Revolution is overrated. I still think it's a great game. Tekken is a great series, too, but its worn thin in Part Four.

Hmmmmm.

Since I can't really think right now... I'll go look in the past.

VIRTUA FIGHTER I was overrated in its time. =O

Sami
12-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Minki-The-Monki
*Kertackles Sami to get past the trashcan lid.* How could you!?! *Cries.* DDR is the bestest..... It's okay though....I'll be alright...*Cries somemore.* But seriously why!? Why why why why why!?! *Stops his fake cring, and gets up, helps Sami up too.* It's okay I can forgive you. You seem pretty kool.

Uwaa... *sporting many trashcanlid style bruises* @_@ LOL thanks.. I think..? No offense to the leagues of DDR Maniacs out there, but the game just didn't take well with me, and I think it sort of suckeroos. ^^; But that's just me..

I always loved Tekken.. ^___^ But I think Mortal Kombat is sort of overrated. I remember the SNES versions that everyone LOVED but I found the controls to be very clunky and mollasses-like at best.. but hey, you got to rip a spine out of someone, so whatever. @_@;

Studmaster
12-10-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by SohmaYuki
everyone's saying "all the ff's except 6 and tactics".
FF4 was a great great great game. It was probably the first RPG to have characters that learn and grow(in terms of console RPG). It did a better job at it then most of the games that come out even now.

The Tekken series is overrated.

I won't disagree with you on the fact that FF4 is a masterpiece, because it really is. However, FF4 wasn't really the first RPG to have Charcter Development as a focus.

It was Phantasy Star 2 that really made it a viable option. Now I'm not going to go into which is better, but you gotta give credit to the originator as well IMO.

I agree with everyone else on Tekken. After 2 (which is still a good game) the game started to suck.

Recca-kun
12-10-2002, 12:15 PM
Tekken 3 had Gon, which was cool. But I refuse to play Tekken other than that.

I think FF7 and up are overrated but Rey-Rey did make a point that 7 brought the genre out of the shadows so that was a plus. And yes 4 is my favorite followed by 6 followed by 7, so I like it but don't by any means think it's the best thing ever.

I used to play DDR often, but now I've played it four times since April. ^^; Not sure if it's because it became a fad, because of some of the types of regulars (I know a lot of great people who play DDR locally, but I know some that I wouldn't want to talk with as well), or because that was around the time that the local machine switched over to Max1 which I hated. They have Max2 now to my knowledge but I've only played there once since then. ^^;

I also have to agree on Mario Kart 64. The original was awesome, the 64 version cheated like a mother. And you had Toad's and everyone else's annoying voices, but that was forgiven when you shot them with painful blunt objects up the tailpipe at high speeds. :D

Studmaster
12-10-2002, 01:11 PM
Recca: Max soured me a bit on DDR. While Max had So Deep! Max 300, both Grooves, Share my Love and Witch Doctor, it also had Bye Bye Baby Baloon, Freckles and Cowgirl not to metion 20 other songs that make me want to die.

Max 2 was everything Max 1 should've been.

Tifa
12-10-2002, 05:27 PM
I thought Chrono Cross was overrated..everyone I knew loved everything about it, and I just didn't see why...
I liked FF8 because I thought the battles were well balanced--the boss fights were managable, the regular fights were not as difficult as the boss fights, and it wasn't that easy for someone to master the game without understanding juctioning, rather than just be able to finish the game in 10 minutes because of their experience. In FF7, every single fight was way too easy--but when it came down to the last battle, it seemed like things were totally unfair.. In FF9, all of it was a joke--you practically beat the bosses in 5 or less hits, and I beat the game at level 25. FF10 was basically mixed up. The regular battles were too easy, and so were the boss fights, most of the time, too. But certain boss fights, such as the third fight with Seymour, seemed way out of reach. And now Yuna can attack for 99,999 in one hit. It made absolutely no sense to be able to grow your character that strong so quickly in the game.. Well, that's just why I like FF8 so much..I agree the story came from out of no where, and Irvine must have been retarded not to mention anything until he finally realizes it may be a key factor in the game..and the characters were boring as hell (though I still love Zell...), but I basically like FF8 the most because of the battle system and juctioning system, and all that technical kinda stuff....

katchoo
12-10-2002, 05:33 PM
sims and Animal crossing. I think if I had anybody at home to play animal crossing also, I might have had more fun. But to do chores and work after 8 hours of working...no man. I had to trade that game in.

I can't get into Halo. but I blame that on my natural instinct to hate FPS.

JoeBoeing
12-10-2002, 05:45 PM
Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII - I can't think of a redeeming thing about them. The Materia and Junction systems were crap and were shallow, the Graphics and stories were a joke compared to Final Fantasy IV, VI and Tactics and I couldn't care for any of the characters. I thought the characters from FFVIII were jerks and the possibly redeeming history was thrown away for that orphanage crap.

Gran Turismo (all) and any other realistic racing game because I like arcade racers like Rage Racer.

Grand Theft Auto series - only popular for the violence in my book. I played GTA Vice city and the rest and the controls for driving are so poor it's laughable. The series falls into cliche after cliche and the graphics are bland.

FRom,
Joe

Recca-kun
12-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Materia was kind of cool but if you knew what you were doing it was a cake walk. Junctioning was horribly broken, you could be ridiculously uber if you took time drawing stuff and put 2+ GFs on one person.

Sion
12-10-2002, 09:03 PM
Overrated = GTA3 - this game was supposed to be so amazing, and it was, for about 15 mins, then its just friggin boring.

FFVIII - It was sorta okay at the beginning, but holy hell, draw system had to go, although I liked Junction, the fact that it could give you like 5000HP at lvl 10 was a little overboard, but the battles weren't incredibly easy (unless of course you sat there with a character on low HP and used limits 8 bajillion times), and yeah the orphanage part was like... WTF?? And they blame it all on GF's that do more in battle then the characters, pffft.

FFX - from seeing it, I was like "wow this is gonna be a sweet game!" then you start playing and jsut spend half the time watching it instead of actually playing. Bleh.

Bouncer - yeah odd a person with a Bouncer avatar and Sion screenname saying this, but all the hype about it at first was like OMG this is gonna rock, then you play it and beat it in an hour, kinda blows. But still I liked it anyway lol.

UNDERRATED!!!

Harvest Moon 64!!!!!!!! Lol around here they only sold like 10 copies of the game because it wasn't gonna be a very big thing. I had bought it and so did my friend and the addiction began, soon everyone we told about it wanted it, and there were like 100 on backorder hahaha, I sold it though and now I miss it =(

---------------------------------------

Now someone mentioned EverQuest, well if you end up liking it and playing it for a bit, it becomes a huge addiction. I played for 3 years and was on daily, couldn't pull myself away. It infects your brain, but is really a great game if you give it a chance. It may not have a storyline, but its fun to make your own one. Although once I got to lvl 56 (max lvl is 60, but now it is 65) it kinda slowed down and I decided to retire. But I will never forget those 3 years, and the coolness that was EverQuest, even though it made me a slob for the time I played lol.

Eriku-san

Tifa
12-10-2002, 10:50 PM
I don't believe it's quite possible to have an HP of 5000 at level 10 in FFVIII =P Anyway, I thought junctioning was fun. But that's my OCD talking.. I just plainly liked FFVIII the best because I thought it was the hardest out of the other games, where it didn't even matter to have 5000 HP at all, you could just beat the game without fighting a single regular fight (which my sister has proved for me in all FFs except 8, which she quit because she got stuck..turns out it was because she was reeeeeally good at battling, but not very good at junctioning..) Bouncer was definately overrated..my friends love the game, and I just don't see why. I found it boring, and just another 2-player battling game with a baaaaad story. FFX was sooo cool, other than the fact that Tidus talked way too much and acted like the world revolved around him and what he thought.. Materia was awesome, but it really annoyed me at some points x.x There was too much, too little HP, and too little of room to put all the materia..

-Kol
12-11-2002, 07:11 AM
The most overrated game (as mentioned before) should be MGS 2. The hype behind that was extraordinary and while the graphics and sound were nice, AFAIK thats not what most people play MG games for. The story bites on a mind blowing level and manages to eventually completely lose the plot.

On Raiden, Hideo does say in the documentary that the idea behind playing Raiden is so that you can see Snake as being even better and stronger, which it did. But that just made playing Raiden even more frustrating.
As a die hard fan of the whole Metal Gear series since the original I really hate to say it, but MGS 2 was very overrated and a long shot from the "best game in the world".

crikey, this tirade could have been alot longer. Didn't realise how badly I wanted to get that off my chest ;)

Rey-Rey
12-11-2002, 09:16 AM
In your response to Metal Gear Solid 2 being overrated... well, I think the GAME is PLAYED BETTER than Metal Gear Solid.

With that said, Raiden is a pussycat compared to Solid Snake. But I guess that's what made Solid Snake even cooler. And if you did play through the whole game, the story started out well, got better, then worse, then just REALLY, REALLY BAD.

The gamble didn't pay off, though. I'd love to see Snake as the hero again on MGS3.

Bustagroove
12-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Most Overrated game IMHO are:
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Halo
Neverwinter Nights
Tomb Raider 2-4
Mortal Kombat for the SNES (anyone remember that?)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3

SleepingKirby
12-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Is neverwinter nights that bad? I was thinking about getting too. Maybe I should go for Lord of the Rings game?

Cassandra
12-11-2002, 03:48 PM
I like Neverwinter Nights. My husband and I play it together. I particularly like the fact that you can be Dungeon Master and make your own maps.

I have no idea why people think it's overrated.

SleepingKirby
12-11-2002, 03:50 PM
In no offense to Bustagroove, I think I'll trust Cassandra's opinion on this one. She's definitely a more involved gamer than I am. :D I'll see if I can find a demo...

Celine
12-11-2002, 03:54 PM
I borrowed Neverwinter Nights from a friend months ago, and read through part of the instructional manual. I've never actually tried it because it sounds way too confusing! ^^ Maybe it's because I'm not up on the whole D&D thing, and my friend says it is heavily based off of that.

Cassandra
12-11-2002, 03:57 PM
Whoever wrote the manual wrote it in D&D jargon. The game isn't nearly as difficult as the manual makes it look. (Assuming you're playing the "pre-made" map and storyline...obviously making your own stuff is more difficult.) There was some stuff I had to ask my husband (who, in all honesty, is the gamer in the family...I just know what I know from spending 24/7 with him) but that's because I'm anal and I like to know everything. You should have heard me when we watched the D&D movie or Lord of the Rings. I know nothing about those movies so I kept asking him kinda "stupid" questions. ("Is that dood a troll or a dwarf?" "OK, so what's the difference between a troll and a dwarf?")

SleepingKirby
12-11-2002, 04:04 PM
I use to play D&D that's why I was interested. All the games by that same line has really been pretty bad in the past, but I heard this game was actually going impliment a lot of things from Diablo and Marrowwind into it, that's why I'm interested. As long as the instructions manual doesn't say, "First, take your +1 mace..." and I'm happy. :D

Bustagroove
12-11-2002, 04:06 PM
I'm not saying NeverWinter Nights was bad.. No way. I like it.
I'm just saying... close to 2 years of hype and delays for a game thats just ok isn't my idea of a raving success.

The topic was "overrated" not games that suck

Celine
12-11-2002, 04:12 PM
I had heard about he dungeon editing feature and was most interested in that, because I used to play ancient 3-D RPGs on my Atari back in the 80s... and those were the greatest games I ever played. I was looking into how people were building RPG interfaces these days, and a friend (a D&D loving friend, mind you) suggested it.

Kirby: The manual is 218 pages. That just seems so excessive to me! ^^

Bustagroove
12-11-2002, 04:17 PM
But to slightly change the subject, the exact opposite of the Overrated games would be the Sleeper hit. Some of the best sleeper hits that hardly got any attention IMO are:

Tomb Raider
Worms Armagedon
Pocket Fighter
Chrono Cross (not the best game but Very good for the lack of publicity)

Cassandra
12-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Tomb Raider hardly got any attention??? Since when?

Bustagroove
12-11-2002, 04:40 PM
The first game when it just came out it didn't. it wasn't until the months that followed and the magazines started giving it alot of hype and press did it start to get noticed. I'm just talking about the first one. not the sequals

Cassandra
12-11-2002, 04:44 PM
I dunno...I seem to recall the first one getting quite a bit of attention. It's one of the only games my non-gamer mother played. So, I know that if SHE knew about it and was able to remember its name (she usually calls games "Ya know, that game with that thing" and we have to figure it out) that the game was at least fairly decently marketed.

Bustagroove
12-11-2002, 04:56 PM
I wasn't talking about AFTER the game came out. a Sleeper hit is something that nobody knows about until the day it comes out. The movie Forest Gump is a perfect example of that. Nobody ever even heard of the movie until it premiered and all of the news media gave it huge reviews.

Nobody knew about Tomb Raider until it came out. Now that I think about it, Earthworm Jim was just like that only it didn't get nearly as much notice and popularity. It just got a cult following.

Bustagroove
12-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Thats all I'm referring too when I say Tomb Raider was a sleeper hit. Also why I didn't say any of the sequels were

Hikaru
12-11-2002, 05:53 PM
I liked all the FF games. But I REALLY think the Grand Theft Auto series is over-hyped. Everywhere you go you see people who think that the game is the greatest thing ever and for the way the game is...well...I'm a justice - person thing... (no wonder I got Sora from KH on that personality test...)
I don't think that a game that teaches people (kids especially) that going against the law is cool and fun should be so over-hyped. I mean, when you buy a game at a store it's not like the people who work there check the rating or anything. As long as they get money they don't really care...Sad...Very sad...

Rey-Rey
12-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Oooooh, how can I forget?

DEVIL MAY CRY.

Yes, it's a good ol' 3-D beat-'em-up game. But just like most 3-D games out there, the camera plagued the gameplay a whole lot and with 24 stages, it gets very repetitive. Yeah, Dante's a bad-@$$ character. Yeah, some people may think Trish is a babe and whatnot. But, in the end, there wasn't much innovation that a lot of people and magazines hyped about.

It's Capcom with the usual Onimusha and Res Evil engine.

Of course, I'd like to see what they do with Devil May Cry II.

Deathscythe
12-14-2002, 01:01 PM
MGS2: It had a good story at the beginning. The Patriots are a good addition to the story, but towards the end it just started to tear apart. It wasn't as dramatic as MGS1.

Tekken 4: It sucks. 3D movement is alright, but it still sucks. Nothing new there. Not enough gameplay. The addition of Steve Fox was great. Never have I seen a boxer well done in any fighting game. Virtua Fighter 4 is much more in-depth and much more fun to play.

Final Fantasy X: Weak story. The Sphere Grid system is good, but not great. I will always prefer leveling up the old school way. Plus, the characters were rather annoying except for Auron. Auron was a great character.

FF8: Of course no one can go out without mentioning this one. This was pure eyecandy. Good story through disc one and after that it just started going to hell. Plus, Ultimecia just comes out of nowhere and ruins the game. Adel would have made a greater villian.

THE MOST UNDERRATED GAME EVER: Klonoa 2. Most ppl that I know ignore this game due to its kiddy nature. Man, fuck that, this game was one of the best games I've played on the PS2. Great soundtrack and a kickass story.

cutekawaii
12-14-2002, 03:07 PM
*gasp* Sonic is not overrated!! All the Sonic games are so friggen sweet...I own just about every single one of em and I NEVER got tired of them. Too bad my dreamcast and genesis broke ~_~ I can't play Soul Calibur anymore either, and that's my 2nd fave game ;-;

Anyway. Yeah, all those GTA games, esp GTAVC. Every time I go into a game chat, all i see is, "GTA:VC is the best game EVER !!!1!" and I want to shoot myself, because it's not. I don't see how picking up prostitutes is fun.

FF Tactics. Yes I said it. It's so slow and boring. I played the first battle, and after I woke up I said "Screw this!" and haven't touched it since.

I don't think FF8 is overhyped at all. I've seen more rant than rave for it. I personally think it's good game...but I wouldn't call it hyped. Now, FFX, THAT'S overhyped. Too many friggin movies. People seem to love it because it's all fancy with the graphics and voices, but it's really just trying too hard. Although there were definatly some beautiful CGs, that's all the game is worth. Some eye-candy.

I like FF7 but the materia system is too hyped IMO. I personally can't stand it. I'll take junction any day.

Deathscythe
12-14-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by cutekawaii

FF Tactics. Yes I said it. It's so slow and boring. I played the first battle, and after I woke up I said "Screw this!" and haven't touched it since.

I don't think FF8 is overhyped at all. I've seen more rant than rave for it. I personally think it's good game...but I wouldn't call it hyped. Now, FFX, THAT'S overhyped. Too many friggin movies. People seem to love it because it's all fancy with the graphics and voices, but it's really just trying too hard. Although there were definatly some beautiful CGs, that's all the game is worth. Some eye-candy.

I like FF7 but the materia system is too hyped IMO. I personally can't stand it. I'll take junction any day.

FF Tactics is old school FF style. And it wasn't overrated. That was a sleeper title in my opinion. To think, most people consider it better than the current FF games.

FF8 was overrated. Everyone and their mother was talking about that game. Everyone was expecting something better than FF7 and what did the people get? Nothing. Plus, the game was rushed. All graphics and no real gameplay. Triple Triad was the saving grace for me playing that game.

What FF game nowadays doesn't have too much CG? The only game that didn't have movie sequences left and right was Kingdom Hearts. FFX wasn't trying too hard. It was just crap. It was from the creators of FF8. I think thats a clue as to why this game sucked. And it wasn't the graphics either because everyone already knew that it was the first FF on the PS2, so of course the graphics had to look great. And as for FFX being fancy with the voices? HAH! Surely you jest. The voice work in that game was horrible. Yuna sounded like she had down syndrome. Tidus sounded annoying and was doing the best Kevin Arnold impression possible. Wakka just sounded stupid. Lulu......hmmm......kind of slow, but matched because it went with her gothic nature. Kimhari, Auron and Rikku had the best voices in the game. As well as Seymour. All of their voices were well done minus some of the characters. It was an OK try for Square.

And as for Materia being "overhyped" as you would say? A system can't be overhyped. Why not you say? Because in the story, Materia was created due to the Mako reactors and it had magic within it. So it was basically apart of the story and played a major role in it. Now Junctioning, that was just crap. It was a waste of time because it wasn't like the Materia system where you could combine all kinds of Materia to make some killer strategies such as Final Attack/Pheonix or HP Absorb/Knights of the Round. Plus, for Materia you had to master it unlike junctioning magic to make your stats ungodly. Also, most of the important magic spells in FF8 were used for junctioning, but then again, you barely had to use magic to beat anything in that game. The only magic spells that were often used were Meltdown, Aura, and probably Curaga. And then drawing magic spells over and over and over again. That really put me to sleep. Also, leveling up in that game was a synch. Fight a bunch of T-Rex's and you gain at least 4 levels from fighting one and you'll be level 100 by disc 2. Now in FF7, that was all totally different. The weaker the monster, the shittier the experience points you got. So it was much more hardwork to get somewhere in FF7 as where FF8 was easier.

Of course everyone will always love the job system because it was just......too damn great. That's where FF Tactics shines the most.

Recca-kun
12-14-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Deathscythe
Tekken 4: It sucks. 3D movement is alright, but it still sucks. Nothing new there. Not enough gameplay. The addition of Steve Fox was great. Never have I seen a boxer well done in any fighting game. I agree that Tekken 4 sucks, but I love Vanessa from King of Fighters! She uses boxing moves and is my best in 2000 and top 3 in 2001. :D

cutekawaii
12-15-2002, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Deathscythe
FF Tactics is old school FF style. And it wasn't overrated. That was a sleeper title in my opinion. To think, most people consider it better than the current FF games.

Which is why I think it's overrated. Not necessarily in the advertisment or talked-about sense, but just that everyone who has played it LOVES it, but I just don't see the charm in it. To mee, the job system was like the sphere system in FFX: certain characters have certain atributes. I don't really like that method, it's too constricting. But at least in FFX you could put your character all over the sphere grid so you weren't as constricted as FFT job class people.

What FF game nowadays doesn't have too much CG? The only game that didn't have movie sequences left and right was Kingdom Hearts.

I personally think there weren't ENOUGH CG movies in KH. Yes, I don't like a movie every step I take, but c'mon, a few here and there is nice.

And as for FFX being fancy with the voices? HAH! Surely you jest.

By fancy I mean, there were voices at all. Remember, the voices were in Japanese before English ^.~ It was just the fact that it had voices at all, plus the graphics, that made it overhyped. Like, "oooh look at all the cool stuff we got, voices and expressions, so buy our game." And I can tell you this, FFX is the -only- FF I have seen a commercial for, save for an FFVII one I saw ONCE.

I love Wakka's voice, ya ^.^

And as for Materia being "overhyped" as you would say? A system can't be overhyped. Why not you say? Because in the story, Materia was created due to the Mako reactors and it had magic within it. So it was basically apart of the story and played a major role in it.

I'm not talking about the materia itself that's overhyped, it's the system. The system was too ...random? There were far too may combinations of materia to create an effective system. Yes, there were some awesom combinations, but you'd have to memorize these, and that just gets tedious. I prefer the FFVIII magic system because it's easy to understand and you don't have to memorize anything. I feel the same way about all those Marvel vs Capcom games (also overhyped): if you don't memorize 506845iČ combinations, you loose. That is ridiculous. It really takes the enjoyment out of a game when it becomes more like a test.

Also, leveling up in that game was a synch. Fight a bunch of T-Rex's and you gain at least 4 levels from fighting one and you'll be level 100 by disc 2.

But that doesn't matter since as you level up, the monsters' levels increase as well, so it all balances out. I was a pretty low level when I beat the game because I didn't want Ultemacia to beat me in a few turns.

Now in FF7, that was all totally different. The weaker the monster, the shittier the experience points you got. So it was much more hardwork to get somewhere in FF7 as where FF8 was easier.

Like I said above, in VIII, the EXP you get was proportionate to the level you are at. So if you are level 99 and you kill one of those fly things, yeah you maybe get 30 EXP but that's not a lot in comparison to what you need to level up.

Of course everyone will always love the job system because it was just......too damn great. That's where FF Tactics shines the most.

I just don't see what's so great about it....

SpPANDA
12-16-2002, 01:30 PM
most overrated... i'll say FF10

and dont flame me for that because we all know it's true.
sure it's ff10

and sure we all love it,
but what fun is a ff game if they tell you where to go?

Hikaru
12-16-2002, 07:50 PM
I don't think the Sonic series is over hyped at all either. I do think FFX is over hyped but all FF games are over hyped and we all need to deal with it sadly. I love the FF games but everywhere i go i always find something about FFX. I didn't really like Tekken 4 either. i love the series but this game just sucked. I don't think it was over hyped though. There were no characters in the game at all! There were only 4 female characters and about 10 males. because i am a female I prefer to play female characters. Well, this game had no good characters except Ling Xiaoyu and Jin Kazama. I am still very angry at the fact that Jun died (way back in Tekken 2)! She was so cool! Errrrrrrrrrr...

Rey-Rey
12-16-2002, 08:59 PM
I disagree with EVERY FF game being overhyped because IX went by sooo quietly and that one was one of the better FFs.

Deathscythe
12-17-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by cutekawaii

Which is why I think it's overrated. Not necessarily in the advertisment or talked-about sense, but just that everyone who has played it LOVES it, but I just don't see the charm in it. To mee, the job system was like the sphere system in FFX: certain characters have certain atributes. I don't really like that method, it's too constricting. But at least in FFX you could put your character all over the sphere grid so you weren't as constricted as FFT job class people.

Umm........people who play GTA:VC think its the best thing to come out since tuna. FFT isn't exactly loved by ALL. Only the FF fans dig it. Plus, unlike GTA, FFT actually died down. But, I do understand what you mean. I go through this everyday with GTA fans.

I personally think there weren't ENOUGH CG movies in KH. Yes, I don't like a movie every step I take, but c'mon, a few here and there is nice.

You also have to factor in that this was the first of many KH games to come. So Square had to pack more story than pretty graphics to make it successful. I'm sure there will be more CG in Kingdom Hearts 2. I think the in-game graphics were almost CG, unlike FFX where the graphics and the CG were on two totally different levels.

By fancy I mean, there were voices at all. Remember, the voices were in Japanese before English ^.~ It was just the fact that it had voices at all, plus the graphics, that made it overhyped. Like, "oooh look at all the cool stuff we got, voices and expressions, so buy our game." And I can tell you this, FFX is the -only- FF I have seen a commercial for, save for an FFVII one I saw ONCE.

I love Wakka's voice, ya ^.^

Well, I digged the Japanese voices much better than the American stuff. Also, every FF game has had expressions, just not facial. And the facial expressions were barely noticeable seeing as how they were almost the same throughout the game.

And you're wrong. FF8 also had a commercial. FF9 was the only one that didn't have a commercial(of the current FF games that is).

I'm not talking about the materia itself that's overhyped, it's the system. The system was too ...random? There were far too may combinations of materia to create an effective system. Yes, there were some awesom combinations, but you'd have to memorize these, and that just gets tedious. I prefer the FFVIII magic system because it's easy to understand and you don't have to memorize anything. I feel the same way about all those Marvel vs Capcom games (also overhyped): if you don't memorize 506845iČ combinations, you loose. That is ridiculous. It really takes the enjoyment out of a game when it becomes more like a test.

Definitely. There were a lot of different combinations, but variety is good. And most of the combinations weren't always 100% full-proof. Just look at Mime and Knights of the Round. One hit can stop the chain. Also keep in mind, I noticed that when you would die and have Final Attack/Pheonix(or Revive) equipped together, it would waste. Meaning it wasn't infinite.

Also, you didn't have memorize all of the combinations. Everyone had a different style of play when it came to materia. It was just that certain combinations win battles. Also, there were only key combinations that mattered. All and any magic materia was obvious and also, you always had to equip the right materia cause if you put on too much magic materia, your characters start to lose HP. So not everything was equipped. And you could only fight with three party members thus having you only remember the key combinations which are essential to victory. Plus, I hate simple systems. I dig complexity.

But that doesn't matter since as you level up, the monsters' levels increase as well, so it all balances out. I was a pretty low level when I beat the game because I didn't want Ultemacia to beat me in a few turns.

You didn't want to have Ultimecia beat you in a few turns? But she was easier than Omega Weapon. I maxed out my characters on purpose to fight her and guess what? First turn of fighting her, I beat the crap out of her. If you have Lionheart for Squall, the game is easy to beat. FF8 was one of the easiest FF games of all time.

Just look at Necron in FF9. This dude had the massive amount of HP and he was easy even with his Grand Cross Spell. I made Necron my bitch with only 3000 HP.

I just don't see what's so great about it....

Simple. Old school Final Fantasy.

One more thing, how can a Capcom vs. game be so overhyped? It's only a fighting game. Fighting games never have hype because they aren't as popular as say an RPG or an action/adventure game.

The only fighter with hype was Tekken 4. Everyone thought great graphics was gonna make it king of all fighters, and guess what? It sucked.

Deathscythe
12-17-2002, 04:22 PM
I disagree with EVERY FF game being overhyped because IX went by sooo quietly and that one was one of the better FFs.

FF9 was actually good. It was a step back to the old days of FF. It was definitely one of the better PS FF games.

dizzylizzy
12-20-2002, 06:14 PM
overrated game? hmmm... lemme think.... legend of dragoon. don't get me wrong, i liked the game, but there were a lot of commercials for it and it turned out to be not what i expected.... a masterpiece. lol. i still enjoyed the game though. i'm a sucker for rgps.

:::looks at avatar::: mmm.... squall.... yeah, the game felt thrown together, BUT since i love the "girl chases a$$hole guy adn he's really gougeous....." stories, i enjoyed it. eye candy! lol i loved all the ff games... but 9 did bore me a lil. as for 10..... yeah.... everything was great but the fact that i couldn't roam around until the end. : ( oh, and the voices, they shoulda went with the original voices.

"that's my opinion, i could be wrong."

Cait
01-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Final Fantasy VII *gag*

tydawgsd
01-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Metal Gear Solid 2. Thank god for nice return policies.
FF8- Doesn't even deserve to be a FF.
Dragon Warrior 7- AH!!!!!!!!!!!
Bushido Blade 1/2- Good idea, bad game

Just to set the record straight, I am not a FF fanboy, it is just that all of the ones I played were decent to good RPGs, but 8 was just blah.

MikigamiTokiya
01-18-2003, 06:29 PM
FF8 for sure is way over rated. I had to stop after the second disk it was so damn boring and I kept drifting off to stare @ the wall. Squall is great and all but he can't make up for the overall let down of the game.srry to all u guys who think it's so cool. I think FF9 was pretty cool and had the best selection of charas and stuff. maybe that's just me but it was fun while it lasted ^^ armarant makes on hell of a "flaming afroman"

XLainoftheWired
01-18-2003, 07:18 PM
:cries: Ok, I am hearing a lot of negativity towards FF. I am a classic hopeless romantic who love FF8 and FF10. I need a strong presence of Love to really enjoy a game. FF7 had one until it died too early in the game, and then on out it was a little boring for me. FF8, yeah it was a shakey story board but the fact they they spent most of their resources polishing the relationship between Squall and Rinoa made it worth my time. As for FF10, it is practically all about love! And with the eye candy CGs (especially the on in the lagood under the fool moon) I was taken. I think all the FF games are very different in their own aspects. This is what makes them good for everybody. You dont like love too much? Good go play 7 or 9 where its really not a big deal, or tactics for that reason. Honestly FF8 was the first one I played through, then i played 7, then chronicles, 9 and 10, the others I played some but not all of them, 1-3 I practically missed out on. Now I do not believe in any way FF10 was "overrated." Square did, they put a lot of work into that one, and quite possibly never really finished it, hense the comming of a sequel. I just had to make a stand for those, make a stand for the other romantics out there. All in all I loved each FF. Ledgend of Dragoon... very overrated, the ending was insanely weak, but I will never forget the Law City of Zenabatos. "Give Kongol Break." hahahahaha echem... Tekken all together is just too slow of a fighter for me, and it has a pretty large fan base, so I wont go as far as to sday it is overrated as to say it just wasnt for me. All tomb raiders... MKs... the Pokemon games, all of them, frankly I probably said that cause I plain out dont like pokemon, or any other "monster" anime in existance. GTA does get old after a while, but in moderation it can be great... State of Emergency was crap... Ratchet and Clank... I guess I dont really like any platformers...the Spice Girls video game too, blech

Now, underrated! Grandia 2, awesome story, awesome battle system, just awesome! Thousand Arms, yes its practically a dating sim and kinda simple but, does it involve love? yes? then good! IQ, one of the coolest puzzle games ever! Lunar, the whole series, I never heard much hype at all about these games and they captured me in my room for a while. Rhapsody, while simple, its still cute as a button! Hard-Hitter Tennis, by Atlus, it had opened with a price of $15, its really not a hard game, but it is so insanely addictive. Suikoden series, really no love concept at all, which makes them hard for me to play but in the end they do have very superior stories. Star Ocean! Just plain cool.

makio
01-18-2003, 11:06 PM
Overrated Game:
- Dr. Muto... no more commercials, please.

Soon to be Overrated:
- the Matrix. I hope the pictures I've seen thus far aren't what we'll all be seeing in the final product.

XLainoftheWired
01-18-2003, 11:07 PM
man Dr. Muto sux

Viral Harvest
01-19-2003, 02:16 AM
Wow, I'm suprised that so many people love FFIX. FFIX was the reason I stopped pre-ordering Final Fantasies. It tried to bring back what 6 and 7 had created, except that it killed, maimed, buried, dug up, ravaged, and buried again what was great about those games.

I think Legend Of Mana (Seiken Of Densetsu 4) is extremely over-rated. It wasn't nearly as good as Secret Of Mana (SD2) and the ever amazing Seiken Densetsu 3 which is pretty much the diamond of the series.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - "Yes, let's create a sequel to an amazing game that'll have the player find out that all of his or her work was just a giant VR mission that was planned out before the game even started! Oh snap, that'll be hoot and a half!"
----
C'mon Konami, what the hell were you thinking!? Great gameplay, great graphics, great intro, but when you play the whole game through and finally view the ending, you'll know a whole new level of pain and feel many negative emotions ranging from suicidal depression to homicidal anger.

And am I the only person who thinks Zelda games are over rated!? I think I am....

---Viral Harvest

Basic Beecicchi
01-19-2003, 06:39 AM
Final Fantasy. 3. [6 as Japanese]

I just CAME from a home-brewn RPG community that makes THOUSANDS of FF3/6 ripoffs. Turns out whoever found out its guidelines for it seems to be the model of, yeah, over 1,200 more games. And quite poorly done, too. But that's homemade for ya.

-- If you've EVER heard of RM2K, the illegal RPG Maker, then you KNOW what i'm talking about.

If i have to see another FF3/6 homage ripoff, i'm gonna crack. There are people who worship that game more than ANYTHING. Even their own mothers

*hides*

John Booty
01-20-2003, 12:40 PM
I think Tekken's pretty good, but vastly overrated. The Soul Edge/Soul Calibur series are my favorite games of all time; so it irritates me that Namco churns out all these Tekkens and then waits like 4 years between Soul Calibur sequels.

I think FFX is soooo overrated because I don't like it at all. Amazing art, fun battle system... but where's the damn GAME? Where's the exploration? And Blitzball is the stupidest thing ever.

Hmm, I'm sure I'll think of more. This is a good thread! ^_^

jade_dragon
01-21-2003, 04:11 PM
tombraider is overaterd so is star wars games

theres acouple good games that are underrated like evil zone and wild 9

Zephyrs
01-21-2003, 04:40 PM
My list:

FFVIII: yes I know I'm going to get alot of crap for this, but really now. all the reasons were explained already

FFIX: now I'm going to get even MORE crap. Viral Harvest thinks just as I do. I was expecting a revival of FF6 or something (to make up for the not-liking of FF8) but no. Vivi and Freya were the only reasons I even bothered finishing it. FFX was more "old school" than 9 was. FFIX was a science project gone horribly wrong I say.

Chrono Cross: I guess expecting something as amazing as CT was my downfall... can we say "fetch quests" with the Dragon Relics? gah.

The Oracle Zelda games: Not bad, just not what I was expecting...

Kingdom Hearts: Now EVERYONE is going to shoot me. granted I haven't played very much, but it's a damn X-button mash fest from what I've played. and ho boy do I hate X-button mash fests posing as RPG battles. give it a chance, you're all going to say. but I don't think I can stand those battles anymore, and I doubt my controller can either...

Erilan
01-21-2003, 04:45 PM
Does anyone here remember Daikatana for PC? Enough said. NOTHING was more hyped and disappointing than that. :p

The Bouncer: A Squaresoft game that takes an hour to beat? That makes me sick.

Legend of Dragoon: A pitiful attempt by Sony to make an RPG that's FF-worthy.

Bushido Blade 2: Take Bushido Blade 1, make it 10x worse, and you got Bushido Blade 2.

There's my opinion. :bigtu:

Rey-Rey
01-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Well, don't worry. I'm surprised I wasn't crucified for calling Soul Calibur, Devil May Cry, and both Mario Karts overrated. =D

As for sports games, I've seen NFL GameDay '99 thrown around as a "good title". Really? Since when did a non-existing running game turn into a good football title? Ever since 989 Sports took over, it's been nothing but hell for the GameDay (and ShootOut) series.

I think, in a way, Conker's Bad Fur Day was a bit overrated. I'm saying that because I thought Banjo-Kazooie was the BETTER game... BUT Conker's game had a much better personality (understatement) than Banjo-Kazooie. The cameras were kind of a pain on Conker. = ( Then again, not very many people were able to buy the game because it was limited here in the U.S.

I remember also when Virtua Fighter I was pounced around as the next big thing in fighting games (because of its polygonal looks). What I saw back then (when it first came out) was a bunch of blocks. It looked horrible! Thankfully, VF2 looked so much sweeter.

Okay. Next.

hoshikage
01-21-2003, 06:30 PM
*notes controversy over various FFs* Heh... this is where that old saying about "you can't please everyone all the time" comes in, I suspect. ^_^

Since I really don't play many video games *except* FFs, those are the only ones I can talk about. I liked 4, 6, 7, Tactics, and 9, and hated 5, 8, and 10. 8 and 10 are the only ones I'd consider "overrated" though, as they got all the publicity and hype of 7, or possibly even more (the first really massively hyped game I can remember, to be honest... maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention :p), wheras 9 for example got very little publicity.

And really, a lot depends on what a given audience member's interests are. Graphics are nice and all, but they aren't what will hook me on a game. What is important to me is story and character. And that's why I hate 8 and 10 - romance bores me, and I found the stories weak and the characters stupid. After that would come the battle system/gameplay, but I like a lot of different styles there, so I'm easy to please. ;) I like both FF9's restricted character class and Tactics' infinite customization just fine. I'm actually surprised to find I'm not the only person who hates 10 around here, and for the same reasons I do! Huzzah! Cranky old writing critics unite! :p

Quick underrated list: Breath of Fire IV... I loved this one but can't find anyone else who's even played it. And Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo! Hard to find, apparently totally forgotten, but so much fun!

marsie
01-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Okay I have played FF since the VERY first one. There are two I couldn't finish because the characters got on my nerves.

FFVII- This game just annoyed the hell out of me. Cloud was a whiny little bitch and I wanted to punch him just to get him off his little angst trip. The game play was okay and the storyline was decent but it was killed after Aeris died. Hence I stopped playing after that. I do not understand why everyone thinks this is the end all RPG, cause it isn't.

FFIX- Bored the hell out of me. I barely finished the first disc, It was pushed because it was the last FF on playstation. The only good thing about this game was Beatrix

Games people bash-
FFVIII- Such a sweet love story....come on! Raganok was one of the best scenes that I can think of. Also the ending sequence was pleasing, it gave me a sense of closure and I LOVED the Raine grave scene. I cry everytime.
The battle system was ehh but I think the development of the characters especially with Squall and Rinoa. Edea was very wicked and I enjoyed her all the way through.

FFVI- O.O The reason I live. Terra is one of the best characters ever done for an RPG. She is a female but she isn't the typical whimpy magic user that isn't good for anything else but magic. She was well balenced!
The storyline kicked butt, and could possibly be the best RPG ever made.

FFTactics- Loved it, very underrated. I spent many sleepless nights before I beat it. I hope the one that is coming out for GBA will not disappoint me.

Kindgom Hearts- I really thought it would have grabbed me before now....but not yet....

FFX- Tidus was a change from the other angst ridden antisocial freaks. At least his hair is half way normal. I loved Yuna, not since Terra has a character held my interest, not to mention Rikku's fun upbeat manner, and Lulu's sense of style.

FFIV- Rosa that is all I will say. *_* Just a beautiful storyline

FFV- Ehh...It was okay, I do like the crude job class...but again could have taken it or left it.

I am sorry...I fail to see that a developer that has given the quality of games like Squaresoft has with the FF games, I feel that they really could do no wrong. I didn't care for 2 out of the 10 that they have put out....I have to say that that is pretty dang good.

Game that I would committ ritual scarafice for them to stop making-(ie overrated game series)
RESIDENT EVIL- nothing about this game is interesting. I hated the controls and the whole point of it was just boring and silly, give me FF any day.

Grand Theft Auto- Since people out there don't think we have enough cussing, stealing, gun totting and strip club owners, we breed them with this game series.

ANYTHING WITH THE WORD MADDEN, NFL, NBA, NCAA, OR FIFA- come on people, it is the same thing just with different player names and numbers, if you really want the thrill of playing any of these games, get off your butt and play it outside with real people and a real ball. I mean I can't go around slashing monsters with a "gunblade" or a "Buster Sword" so I play RPG's. (well I could but I might get arrested or sent to the looney bin)

Okay enough ranting

Rey-Rey
01-21-2003, 10:11 PM
LOL at all her ranting about the sports games.

I think you have to truly appreciate the genre to enjoy those kinds of games. I don't think they're overrated. I'm an avid basketball guy and I love watching football but I know a great sports game when I see one. ^__^ v

marsie
01-21-2003, 10:18 PM
Yes I can spot a good sports game when I see one.
My boyfriend's twin is always playing them. I just think that if you have 2002, 2003 isn't much different.....

Rey-Rey
01-21-2003, 10:27 PM
Well, what can we say? It's a hobby that we love. ^__^ And it's always good to see updated rosters and its new features in the new game. Yeah, you're right about very little changes from the previous year (NBA2K1 and NBA2K2 were certainly guilty of that) but, as sports afficionados, we love last-to-the-minute updates in our sports. ^__^ v

Not for everybody. >=D

Ranma Saotome
01-25-2003, 02:22 PM
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask: Both are great games, but seriously too overhyped. I really didn't see why there had to be WWF tied in cross promotions.

Any WWF game: I am sick of them now. The only things that are different is the rosters and/or game engine. Blech.

The Sims/Any Sim: Not overrated. Those games are for people who have patience to invest in it. If you sit down for an hour and play these games, you'll like em.

cutekawaii
01-26-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by silentduelist
Kingdom Hearts: Now EVERYONE is going to shoot me. granted I haven't played very much, but it's a damn X-button mash fest from what I've played. and ho boy do I hate X-button mash fests posing as RPG battles. give it a chance, you're all going to say. but I don't think I can stand those battles anymore, and I doubt my controller can either... I must disagree. I found that refreshing in an RPG, seeing as I hadn't played with that type of battle system since Zelda: OoT. I don't like replaying a lot of RPGs because of the tediousness of the turn based system, which is shame considering I love the stories. Speakng of which, my brother deleted my FF9 and FF7 games that I have not beaten, and I am about ready to slaughter him. I don't have the desire to wait 2 minutes before I can select "Attack" all over again. The KH system made me look foward to battles, especially ones againts bosses like the chameleon and Cerberus. Fun fun! Too bad the magic system sucked.... Anyway, I'm replaying KH because I won't get bored. I especially like seeing what fun things fly out when you hit stuff with different keyblades ^___^

sunako
01-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by marsie

FFX- Tidus was a change from the other angst ridden antisocial freaks.

Yes, yes he was. So was Zidane, though. But about that "angst ridden antisocial freaks"-- yeah, I'll definately agree with you on that one. No offense to huge fans, but Cloud and Squall could've saved themselves trouble and a few personalities by simply coughing up some response other than "whatever."

Playing FFVIII and then jumping to FFX is like going from depressive to manic, I think.

Freya
01-26-2003, 09:25 PM
I personally like FF7-10...and out of all of them I still think 7 has the best plot while 9 I like the most because of it's "anime" feel.
(Just feel like clinging onto Zidane's tail sometimes)

But back to the point of this thread...hmm..most overrated game I felt was Everquest...got it for Christmas from a friend and for the money I paid I hardly played and it was ridiculous leveling up.

Rosiel
01-27-2003, 09:27 AM
> Zelda is not an RPG, and neither is Kindom Hearts.

They have their own genre: Action/RPG. ^__^

As for the Most Over-rated Game Ever (imo)...
The award goes to... FFVIII!

I still remember the hype! Oh the graphics! Oh how deep the plot is! What characterization!

I saw: Graphics, yes, but a world I did not care about. A plot as deep as a puddle and half as wide. Dysfunctional characters whose sole mode of conversation was "whatever" or whining.

I made it to disk 2, valliantly hoping that Laguna would join our party as he was the only character that was human, that I was interested in, that I did not want to throttle with a 2x4. Then it dawned on me. Laguna=Squall's father, tough luck girl. I packed the disk in its case and threw it behind my dresser, where it stayed until I moved (2 years).

Then, in my new apartment, goaded on by all the fanfiction, fanart, the OMG you haven't played all of FFVIII, I tried playing it again.

Guess where FFVIII is right now? ^___________^

Ranma Saotome
01-27-2003, 11:42 PM
FF8... The bastard child of the FF genre that no one wants.

MiyamotoMusashi
12-18-2003, 12:58 PM
I would have to say the matrix game, it just didn't pan out for me and has very little replay value..just rent it. I should have bought Tenchu 3 ARRRGH!!

SelphieTilmitt
12-18-2003, 01:12 PM
FF7. i say, all I heard about forever was how great FF7 was over and over again, and I finally played it and I was so dispointed. It saddened me :\

childdoll
12-18-2003, 01:47 PM
I think FFX was a bit overrated... I mean I like the game, but there were a few issues I have with it #1 being Tidus was kinda annoying and Yuna was just too sweet... I just think they should have developed the characters a little more and the story itself was slightly weak... I can't place my finger on exactly what, though. But I really thought the music and the graphics were very enjoyable.

That and Devil May Cry 2... my friends and I were really excited about this one and when we got it we were so annoyed. I kid you not when I say my friend had a good 2-3 minute conversation with me, looking at me (not the screen) while holding down a single button, and when we looked back all the monsters in the area were killed. It was too easy and the storyline was so weak. And there was practically no end... it was so bland. Ah well.

Ranma Saotome
12-18-2003, 04:35 PM
Mario Kart - Never overrated. ^__~

Sparki
12-18-2003, 05:17 PM
I don't like FF games much simply because I don't enjoy turn-based fighting. If I can leave in the middle of a fight, get lunch, and everyone's still in battle-stance 45 minutes later and my characters aren't dead, then that isn't great. And FFX...As one of my friends put it, "Great movie." There were WAY too many cutscenes. I don't have that kind of attention span.

GTA: Vice City was so base. It was funny for a couple minutes with the flamethrowers and all, that's about it. And man, if I had kids, I would NOT let them play that game. Haven't played the ones before that, so I can't judge them.

Evil Dead: Fistful of Boomstick - I only rented this one, but the beginning was really really really boring, so I never really got into it. Don't get me wrong, I love Evil Dead as much as the next person, but there weren't nearly enough things to kill with the chainsaw. It might have gotten better throughout the game, but I don't know.

DeathCom
12-18-2003, 08:40 PM
So little love for FFVIII :( So sad... Anyway, FFVIII is one of my favorite FFs of all time. The make or break thing in an RPG for me is the main character, I could never stand the Tidus type or Zidane, but Squall was the quiet cool. Realistic look, great style, awesome intro and cinematics, good characters, a worthy final boss, awesome ending. Works for me. At least Im not alone in that opinion ;)

But on average, Squaresoft's games are overrated. Overrated games happen all the time, mostly due to two factors.

1. The fanboy based game news media. These hyper people just blow everything out of proportion touting it as the next big thing. They fail to realize one simple thing. If you hate a genre, even the best of that genre will probably not draw you in. Examples: FFVII In this extreme case even the ads had the joe-gamer thinking this was an action epic. The game media was so taken with the CGI they didn't even look at the non textured real graphics nor the simple nature of this game. Soul Calibur, yes it was THE reason to own a Dreamcast, but if you hated fighters you probably still wouldn't like this game.

2. Popularity. How many times have you heard about Halo and all its greatness? Guess what, its a first person shooter, its not combat evolved. Its multiplayer is regarded so highly. What they dont tell you is the frame rate is all over the place, there is only ONE character to be (in multiplayer you get different colors, wow so interesting), and the game pauses to load as you go through the areas. Sure its got a decent story, but if your like me and want more variety in a FPS games (brought up on PC FPS games) you wont like the slow pace of Halo much.

Anyway in short, there are lots of overrated games. This mostly occurs when a review flat out says you will like this even if you dont like the genre ifs from or imply that concept. Thats the problem. Other examples;

Battle Arena Toshinden - Nice character designs yes, but did any reviewers even play this game?! On day one I was already firing up my Saturn and playing VF (one) again. This game had some of the worst gameplay ever to be in a 3D fighter yet so many magazines were blinded by its "textured and light shaded everything". VF owned this flaming pile and was ignored due to its "blocky" look.

Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance - Midway went back to the drawing board with this one... Yeah, so they could come up with a better engine to have blood drip down a 3D model. Beyond that, this game is full of bad gameplay and void of the things that originally made the series, fatalities. One fatal per character (not to mention the ones they have are of such unimaginative low quality its more entertaining to "finish" your opponent by stabbing your weapon in them), zero stage fatalities, and a bunch of canned combos. No redeeming factors here, but at least Midway did change the gameplay of MK drastically. Grade "E" for Effort.

Those are some extreme examples, others Ill mention:

Dungeon Siege - Billed as a Diablo II killer... ended up being a cheat fest with clunky 3D control.

Shenmue - I liked this game, I did, but it was overrated. It wasnt "FREE" at all. It was a linear RPG with a action twist. But not quite worth the attention Sega gave it.

Soul Calibur II - Yes, this is my current game of choice. But being a fan of the series I cant help but be let down by this "sequel". Maybe I expected too much, but I felt the reviews gave it too much credit based on they figured no one had the Dreamcast SCOne. Most magazine reviews ignored the reused katas, the sheer lack of art in the gallery, the joke costumes, weapons, and characters, and that the story as a whole makes virtually no advancements beyond what was in SCOne. This ends up taking away from the deep and serious nature of the original story. It just shows Namco not holding it in the high regard the series deserves. A few magazines at least pointed out if Namco does this with the next Soul game, they wont be as forgiving, but still.

-DeathCom

Takumix
12-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Soul Calibur 2 is just sooooooooooo Overrated. I find Virtua Fighter Evolution much more amusing and interesting than Soul Calibur 2.

I would like to add Guilty Gear as overrated as well. The graphics looks tight and all but i've already seen that in Samurai Shodown 2. Its not even close in tems of greatness as Samurai Shodown 2.

Ranma Saotome
12-21-2003, 04:17 PM
What the hell are you smoking?

GGX graphics are far superior when comparing to SS. I saw SSV yesterday, the game is great, but the graphics are just shit.

todd13
12-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Enter the matrix, very over-rated. crappy game. lol.

FlowersInMidgar
12-21-2003, 07:41 PM
For the record FF VIII is still one of my favorites. It had better character history and mood than X in my opinion and not as bogged down with mini-games (ugh, X-2)

Let's see over-rated:

Grand Theft Auto: Alright I get it, crime, yippee!
Max Paine, True Crime, etc.: I'll play the above thanks, why wear coat-tails when you can get the suit cheaper?

Mortal Combat: I get it, bloody, Ya-friggin-hoo!

Enter the Matrix/Dragonball Z/anything by Infogrames (Atari): "Wow Neo/Goku/whatever!... ... ... Wow this game really sucks!"

Chaos Legion: Not what it could have been, and certainly not what Capcom promised. Ok at best.

Allot of the games you guys mentioned aren't really over-rated, anymore anyway. Now everyone knows Enter sucks and DMC 2 makes like no sense and is a major let down.

Sparki - Fist Full of Boomstick isn't really over-rated cause no one to my knowledge thinks it's all that great, in fact I've yet to read a good review. I agree, I love Evil Dead but, the game wasn't that great (I beat it) the ending WAS pretty cool though.

Din the Dancer
12-21-2003, 08:37 PM
I liked most of the games that I played but one that I played that was overrated was Metroid Prime. Everyone said it was so good, I lost interst after the 2nd boss (Flagara). XD

Sparki
12-22-2003, 12:00 AM
FlowersInMidgar - You have a point there. It was just highly praised amongst a few people I know. I suppose it's just because it's Evil Dead and all, therefore it *must* be cool.

FlowersInMidgar
12-22-2003, 12:30 AM
I hear that! *cough LegacyofGokuLegendarySuperWarriorsInfogramessucksf abulous donkeysh#tc#ck! cough*

I know people who liked it soley based on that as well. Let the liscense carry the game theory never works. Atari's E.T. anyone?

Sparki
12-22-2003, 01:08 AM
Yeah, Infogrames/Atari is putting out some, uh, interesting stuff. ~.~

Y'know...most games that are developed after all this stuff aren't so great. Wolverine's Revenge? Yeah....no. I dread to see what will happen to the Nightmare Before Christmas game.
But hey, the Buffy one on Xbox wasn't too bad from the ten minutes I played of it.

FlowersInMidgar
12-22-2003, 04:34 AM
They have yet to produce a game with both cheeks firmly on the seat if you catch my meaning. Though Alone in the Dark wasn't that bad.

Nightmare Before Christmas (one of my fav movies) is being made by Capcom so it at least has the potential to not suck like an Irish Catholic family of wet-dry vacs.
Wolvie's Revenge and Hulk are supposedly really bad.

True Iori
12-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Let see i think Gta vice city was too overrated it was the same thing as 3 but in this one u can ride a bike. After i got tired of riding the bike i traded that game for Guilty Gear X2 (best thing i done lately) Silent Hill is also overrated it just Resident Evil but ten time more Boring.Let me see what else oh any Soul Calibur is overrated to play this game u need no skill all u got to do is smash the buttons and u do like a 10 hit combo give me tekken or Alpha 3 any day(best 2-d fighter ever) those games u do need skill to play unlike soul Calibur, the only thing it got going for it was the story mode and Soul Blade had the better one in my view and the best endings.And for now that it until a other overrated game comes my way.

P.S. MGS1 will beat the crap out of MGS2(MGS=Metal Gear Solid just in case)

Neko Cathy
12-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Yes... I dis my own game... Dance Dance Revoluion, despite of the lack of DDR character cosplayers X_X

than... and Need for Speed Underground. The game was only fun for 2 hours.

Another thing to add... anything that has to do w/ NBA Live or Madden. Bak at my work, we got a shelf FULL of NBA Lives and Madden games that were traded in.

aku
12-22-2003, 11:07 PM
Yes, I'm with Neko Cathy on the fact that DDR is greatly overrated. It has probably the most obsessed fanbase I've ever seen, and it can get incredibly annoying at times. Pop'n Music, I feel, is greatly overrated, as well. I mean, yes, it's a cool game, but the problem is that the Bemani community only love it because "it's trendy and cool". Just like Beatmania IIDX.

I'll also have to say Guilty Gear X. It's like Mortal Kombat: There's a lot of blood, you could do dial-a-combos("Gatling" combos.. they're both easy as hell to pull off) and retarded juggles/infinites, incredibly low number of frames of animation, and you can do fatalities. Yes, GGX isn't as shallow, but it's way too scrub-friendly. I've found myself playing against more Sol Badguys and Ky Kiskes on Auto-Guard than semi-decent Venoms or Mays or Johnnys.

Neko Cathy
12-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Yes, I'm with Neko Cathy on the fact that DDR is greatly overrated. It has probably the most obsessed fanbase I've ever seen, and it can get incredibly annoying at times.

There you have it! Words straight from the DDR King and Queen of Cosplay.com. :bigtu: But i's STILL a fun game to play

Ranma Saotome
12-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Kings and Queens of DDR? Heh, come to NYC, I know peeps that will own you both without blinking an eye. :p

Leon
12-23-2003, 08:20 AM
Mortal Kombat is the ultimate in video game overratedness. Yeah, it seemed cool to rip a guy's head off, but the graphics weren't all that great, and the whole idea of a game being sold simply on graphic violence became old and tired. MK II rose the bar a bit, and it was still a bit of a novelty, but by the time the third game came out, it was more about finding new ways to blow someone up. That fourth game was just horrid. It was also one of the easiest games to be cheap (I beat the game on one credit using Tanya, and I want my money back!).

GTA is also one that everyone is hanging off of, proverbially. Again with MK, graphic violence is the primary sell for this game.

I'm starting to think the Final Fantasy games are becoming slightly overrated....

Crucifer
12-23-2003, 08:39 AM
I'll also have to say Guilty Gear X. It's like Mortal Kombat: There's a lot of blood,

I really hate to see what your paper cuts look like. Guilty Gear hardly has any blood, and when there is (appropriately i might add) it isn't as gratuitous and overexagerrated such as Mortal Kombat.
you could do dial-a-combos("Gatling" combos.. they're both easy as hell to pull off) and retarded juggles/infinites,

True. I can relate with you on that at least. But, did MK even have combos?

incredibly low number of frames of animation, and you can do fatalities.
Low number of frames? Not really, it is a 2-d fighting game after all with anime fluidness in it, so GGX is an exception. And fatalities in GGX? I don't think so...

*ends rambling newbieness* Anyway, i agree, MK is overrated. But im a fan of Guilty Gear so i fail understanding. We all have differences.

As for my list of overrated games?
-Final Fantasy X-2
-Dead or Alive series (including the volleyball game)
-GTA Vice City
-True Crime
-Kingdom Hearts (sue me, didn't really understand how that was so great :lost:)
-Tekken series and the Virtua Fighter series (I'm 2-d fighting fan-boy)

I can probaly think of alot more, i just don't feel like thinking at the moment.

aku
12-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Kings and Queens of DDR? Heh, come to NYC, I know peeps that will own you both without blinking an eye. :p

Well first off, she only said "of Cosplay.com". Second, I'm not the best of anything. I'm good at the game, I'll admit, but I don't go around, calling myself something I'm not. And yes, I know of plenty of people that'd own me for free. Guys from New Jersey, New York, Maryland, North Carolina, NoVA, SoVA, and also my friend who I competed against in Anime-USA. Here's a nice little example:

Me: Man, I'm trying to SDG Afronova Heavy. I got 10 damn greats..
Maxx PARANOiA: I know that Kevin got 4-6 greats out of nowhere.
Me: ...
Maxx PARANOiA: Err.. then maybe I shouldn't tell you how many I got..
Me: Just tell.
Maxx PARANOiA: Two.

*If you're not familiar with the Mid-Atlantic DDR community, Maxx PARANOiA is one of the best players of the east coast, and he usually plays in Waldorf's Pocket Change in MD.*

If I had the skills I do now back two years ago, then I'd probably consider myself as being part of the top players of the coast, but there're so many people here AAing PARANOiA Survivor, getting one great on Max300 Heavy, and so on, that I just don't care, anymore.

aku
12-23-2003, 08:55 AM
I really hate to see what your paper cuts look like. Guilty Gear hardly has any blood, and when there is (appropriately i might add) it isn't as gratuitous and overexagerrated such as Mortal Kombat.

Well, I was talking about the fact that blood DOES fly in the game. Not as much as MK, but you know what I mean.

True. I can relate with you on that at least. But, did MK even have combos?

MK3 and beyond went by a Dial-a-combo system, where all you have to do is press a series of punches and kicks and combos automatically pop out.

Low number of frames? Not really, it is a 2-d fighting game after all with anime fluidness in it, so GGX is an exception.

I suggest that you check out the Street Fighter 3 games, as well as Garou:Mark of the Wolves. I've set my standards to a point where if a game doesn't move as fluidly as those two games, then the quality of animation is not good. Yeah, those standards may be pretty high, but if a game is supposed to be eye candy, it should at least try to move as slick as it looks, if you ask me.

And fatalities in GGX? I don't think so...

DESTROYED!!

*ends rambling newbieness* Anyway, i agree, MK is overrated. But im a fan of Guilty Gear so i fail understanding. We all have differences.

Of course. Thank you for not trying to flame the crap out of me. For that, I'd probably give you a hug. Or Coke.

:drink:

Crucifer
12-23-2003, 09:03 AM
I suggest that you check out the Street Fighter 3 games, as well as Garou:Mark of the Wolves.

...Damn you. I was hoping you wouldn't say Street Fighter 3, lol. Ibuki's sprite alone is enough to prove your point on the whole fluidiness matter.

But i still find the GGX highly enjoyable in my opinion.

aku
12-23-2003, 09:14 AM
But i still find the GGX highly enjoyable in my opinion.

Well, I can find the game to be enjoyable as well, but I need some decent competition to be able to play it, or be motivated enough to want to play. Despite a game's flaws, I'll still play it if I can find it enjoyable. The problem is that the competition at my local mall SUUUUCKS. Nothing but scrubs here. It partially drove me away from GGX, and more back into the KoF and SF games.

Ibuki's sprite alone is enough to prove your point on the whole fluidiness matter.

Hehe, yeah. Elena is probably the most animated out of the bunch. She has to go through fifty bajillion frames just to bend over for a win pose.

Crucifer
12-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Computer AI is garbage to me. You need to come down to Charlottesville or Richmond Virginia for some TRUE tournaments. We have Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Capcom vs. SNK, Street Fighter Third Strike tourneys, just about everything. And my sister just got the Capcom vs. SNK chaos arcade board and it isn't that bad at all as i thought.

Oh and i also want to add another overrated game: Arc the Lad.

FlowersInMidgar
12-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Animation? Frame Rate? Poses? Combos, Death Moves, Blood, whatever.
I base a game's goodness solely on whether or not I buy the thing/put a quarter in it (I haven't been to an arcade in years) and walk away not wanting my money back.

Sure there was blood in GGX, there is blood in allot of games but, unlike MK, the blood wasn't the star attraction. MK DID have babalities and, FRIENDSHIP...FRIENDSHIP! :)

Ranma Saotome
12-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Well first off, she only said "of Cosplay.com". Second, I'm not the best of anything. I'm good at the game, I'll admit, but I don't go around, calling myself something I'm not. And yes, I know of plenty of people that'd own me for free. Guys from New Jersey, New York, Maryland, North Carolina, NoVA, SoVA, and also my friend who I competed against in Anime-USA. Here's a nice little example:

Me: Man, I'm trying to SDG Afronova Heavy. I got 10 damn greats..
Maxx PARANOiA: I know that Kevin got 4-6 greats out of nowhere.
Me: ...
Maxx PARANOiA: Err.. then maybe I shouldn't tell you how many I got..
Me: Just tell.
Maxx PARANOiA: Two.

*If you're not familiar with the Mid-Atlantic DDR community, Maxx PARANOiA is one of the best players of the east coast, and he usually plays in Waldorf's Pocket Change in MD.*

If I had the skills I do now back two years ago, then I'd probably consider myself as being part of the top players of the coast, but there're so many people here AAing PARANOiA Survivor, getting one great on Max300 Heavy, and so on, that I just don't care, anymore.

I was only kidding ya know. ^^;;

Yeah well when it comes to DDR, I only focus on NYC and thats it.

Neko Cathy
12-23-2003, 01:49 PM

To be a good DDR player does NOT mean you AA the hardest songs (the survivors, Afronova, the Maxs, etc.). A good, dedicated DDR player knows his/her roles, shuts up and plays WITHOUT REPEATING SONGS OVER AND OVER! He/she also doesn't always do the heaviest songs cuz DUH, you've played them how many times verus the 500+ songs? I knew a guy who could do Max300 and So Deep w/ a AA record, but when it comes to slow songs such as Orion.78, his ass is mine :). A lot of DDR players also use memorization to finish their steps like the freestylers.

aku
12-23-2003, 02:43 PM
To be a good DDR player does NOT mean you AA the hardest songs (the survivors, Afronova, the Maxs, etc.).

No, but it doesn't hurt if you're able to, neither. :P

A good, dedicated DDR player knows his/her roles, shuts up and plays WITHOUT REPEATING SONGS OVER AND OVER! He/she also doesn't always do the heaviest songs cuz DUH, you've played them how many times verus the 500+ songs?

Well, for the most part, yes. Some diversity in songs would help a person prepare himself.

I knew a guy who could do Max300 and So Deep w/ a AA record, but when it comes to slow songs such as Orion.78, his ass is mine :).

Well then he's not really a good player, then. It's obvious he's dedicated himself to only playing those songs. I know that I can, for the most part, sightread most songs and still be able to pass with at least an A.

A lot of DDR players also use memorization to finish their steps like the freestylers.

Psh. It's all about improv, fo' reals. :skidude2:

Rey-Rey
12-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Well, come to think of it... the Final Fantasy series is either really, REALLY loved or really, REALLY disliked.

There's really no middle ground. However, I do maintain that FF9 is the one that gets the least publicity. Trust me. That one went by really quietly. Everybody wants to see a Cloud, Tifa, Squall, Rinoa, Tidus, and Yuna... but hardly anybody mentions a Zidane or a Garnet.

FF10 romantic? Talking about the Macarena River scene? I've seen sappier love stories in Dennis Rodman documentaries. ^__^ v

Takumix
12-28-2003, 02:24 PM
What the hell are you smoking?

GGX graphics are far superior when comparing to SS. I saw SSV yesterday, the game is great, but the graphics are just shit.

Keep in mind that Samurai Shodown 2 was made in 1994 but its graphics still stands the test of time. Its much better than most of the fighting games today.

Darkside Blues
12-28-2003, 02:32 PM
I wish I had seen this thread earlier, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks DDR and Final Fantasy aren't as great as everyone else on the planet does. FF simply doesn't keep my interest (although Sephiroth is hot!) and you couldn't pay me to do DDR . . . and I don't like the music for either of those games! :P

Ranma Saotome
12-28-2003, 02:33 PM
Like hell it does. What SNK/Playmore should do is seriously upgrade thier technology when it comes to graphics.

I honmestly don't see how SS2 is any better than most of today's fighting games. I think SS3 was much better.

And all SNK games look like shit, but they do play well.

Takumix
12-28-2003, 11:06 PM
I honmestly don't see how SS2 is any better than most of today's fighting games. I think SS3 was much better.

Then you don't know you're fighting games dude. Any fighting game purist will prove you wrong.

cactusmomma
12-29-2003, 02:23 AM
SS5 > SS2/3 hands down

anything final fantasy...yeah they were great for a while.. but now it's just plain old character recycling...ie hero = angsty bish, heroine = naive wench who 'grows up' throughout the game ~_~

and ranma...they are updating...it's called atomiswave...coming with the next kof game in march

dmdflarekojima
12-29-2003, 05:25 AM
Keep in mind that Samurai Shodown 2 was made in 1994 but its graphics still stands the test of time. Its much better than most of the fighting games today.

You know... I'll give you the fact that Samurai Showdown had some whoopass graphics for games of it time... but GGX has it beat hands down. I think it's gonna set the par for quite some time. At least that's what I think... then again I am kind of a GG fanboy.

nothing
12-29-2003, 09:40 AM
I bet people play it but idont think Guilty Gear got the respect it deserved. It had great fast gameplay and awsome backround music. And Saga Frontier was pretty cool aswell.

Ranma Saotome
12-29-2003, 11:32 AM
and ranma...they are updating...it's called atomiswave...coming with the next kof game in march

No shit, I know that. :p

But can you really call it licensing when Sammy is going to do the next KOF and not SNK/Playmore?

Studmaster
12-29-2003, 04:11 PM
No shit, I know that. :p

But can you really call it licensing when Sammy is going to do the next KOF and not SNK/Playmore?

Ummm...Who told you that? Cause I say that this is a mistranslation of the article which said both Sammy and SNKP are both working on the Atomswear board. Not Sammy developing the next KoF.

Ranma Saotome
12-29-2003, 11:03 PM
Well from the last reports I heard it was Sammy. Also it's Sammy that doing Sammy VS Capcom. And after I said that a bunch of you gameheads will come out saying that's BS. Look, listen, I don't keep up with gaming news as much you all do because I have a life. :p :)

KHs_Sora
12-29-2003, 11:19 PM
Grand Theft Auto games! They are sleezy and stupid!

aku
12-29-2003, 11:32 PM
, listen, I don't keep up with gaming news as much you all do because I have a life.

I hope for your sake that you were just kidding when you said that. Don't blame your lack of confirmed knowledge on videogame news just because of your "social life". It's the lamest excuse that people always try to use when they look retarded and need a scapegoat.

And all SNK games look like shit, but they do play well.

Ironically, in my opinion, KoF2001 and 2 both look like utter crap, compared to 94-2000. They had a good thing going with their pixelated graphics, I admit. Then they tried to make it look all like Street Fighter Alpha, which just made it fugly as shit(also, 2000 is superior over 2K1 in terms of gameplay, in my opinion).

Serria
12-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Thought of another - The Sims. I found it dull and boring.

Ranma Saotome
01-02-2004, 03:18 PM
I hope for your sake that you were just kidding when you said that. Don't blame your lack of confirmed knowledge on videogame news just because of your "social life". It's the lamest excuse that people always try to use when they look retarded and need a scapegoat.

Obviously you didn't see the :) or the :p. And I wasn't kidding, either. I do have better things to do with my time than to droll over the latest gaming news. Sounds like you're the one getting all offended by this because I struck a nerve. Instead of hanging out on ign.com or gamepro.com all day, do something useful like exercising.

FlowersInMidgar
01-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Woah guys, dang! At the risk of getting singed by stray flames. I find it annoying when nerds call other people nerds. Maybe you hadn't noticed Ranma but this site is devoted to people who DRESS LIKE VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS! (yeah yeah anime too not the point) They must find them at least mildly amusing or interesting.

"I'm fat but I can make fun of fat people who are MORE fat than me."
That's the concept I'm getting from you.

It's not that you need to be obsessive about game news but, when you post info on anything, you should at least know what your talking about. I've posted without knowing all the facts and, I've been called on it. I don't retaliate with childish insults and excuses like your tired I've got better things to do carp. I suck it up and I stand, corrected.

And that brings me to my point, (everybody duck) it's not your lack of want to keep up with gaming news that bothers me. (to each his own, I say) It's your not so subtle and insulting implication that your time is better spent then ours. (I don't keep up with gaming news either but, I waste my time none the less, at least in the opinion of someone who dislikes what I do) Like your interests are somehow better than ours/theirs, and your time is better spent. Also the implication that we don't exercise is pretty ridiculous (accurate for me, but not everyone, thus the falsety)

I seriously DON'T have better things to do than playing games, drawing, hanging out with my friends, or talking with you people here at Cosplay.com.

Because to me, they are the best things I can do with my time, I don't want to do other things because I enjoy those listed above, so I don't have anything "better", cause those are the best. Now replace my interests with yours and everyone elses.

Peace - J

Ranma Saotome
01-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Woah guys, dang! At the risk of getting singed by stray flames. I find it annoying when nerds call other people nerds. Maybe you hadn't noticed Ranma but this site is devoted to people who DRESS LIKE VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS! (yeah yeah anime too not the point) They must find them at least mildly amusing or interesting.

You must be very new to thie board, blind, or stupid.

Read my profile. Then go here - http://djranmas.bravepages.com/ (psst... Kyosuke Kagami - Rival Schools, Project Justice, CvS 2)

Then pickup the last two issues of Animerica.

And finally look at con pics from BAAF, Anime NEXT, Animazement, Otakon, Katsucon, and Anime Boston.

Serria
01-02-2004, 08:55 PM
"Nerd" is relative. :p I know lots of people in the 'preppy cheerleader'/'football jock' category that I consider nerds. Well, or dorks.

Though I don't see how this fits into overrated games. ^_^

Miaka No Baka
01-02-2004, 10:01 PM
a lot of my setiment has been felt here too with the most overrated games:

GTA3
State of Emergency
Grand tourismos I mean has anyone even gotten the international liscense? it's FREAKING impossible! 45 seconds to get from start to finish without being allowed to go off the road, I mean crazy X_X

I think people over hype FF games too, I mean yeah they're good but they're not THE ONLY game out there. X-2 comes to mind for this X_X

DDR too cause i mean while it's good but it does get boring playing the same songs over and over, ultramix for xbox has massive errors for it, lag, and a really anal grading system. It's impossible to get an A on a song, you either get AA or B WTF?! And to unlock a song you gotta get an A on any song. At least they'll have downloads to get new songs but what's this? you gotta have xbox live AND pay $5 to download the songs? WTF! highway robbery!

PSO while not overrated, here's my issue with it. It's cool and fun the first few times u play but for the love of god why can't sonic team make the levels online brand new instead of having you play the same 4 levels over and over just with a different objective X_X.

Square Enix will become supreme when they finally make a cactuar game. Until they do, they are not supreme ^_^;

Ok end of my thoughts ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

FlowersInMidgar
01-03-2004, 12:04 AM
You must be very new to thie board, blind, or stupid.

Read my profile. Then go here - http://djranmas.bravepages.com/ (psst... Kyosuke Kagami - Rival Schools, Project Justice, CvS 2)

Then pickup the last two issues of Animerica.

And finally look at con pics from BAAF, Anime NEXT, Animazement, Otakon, Katsucon, and Anime Boston.

Ouch...To answer your first insults:
Yes, fairly new
Near-sighted
I've been known to do stupid things, but all and all, fairly intelligent.

Read profile: Ok...wow it was everything I'd hoped and, more.

Go here: No thanks, I've got "better things to do." (like exercise)

Pick up mags: No, Have "better things" to spend my money on. (like health bars for my exercise)

Looked at pics already...is there a point to any of this?

Seriously, other than being beligerent, what the hells your point?

You think your time is so much better than ours? Like every second is never wasted, and so well managed!
Face it dude, you were or might have been wrong, frankly I don't give rat's a**.

Fact is, someone called you on it, you got uber-pissed and, you hit them with the lamest comeback ever, "the I don't have all the time/money/etc. to waste learning/doing/etc. this stuff, so it's ok if I was wrong"

Even if you are right, that statement is what sucked fierce. Then proceeded to insult us. Not smart, cause part of us, is me. I don't take kindly to having big bullsh*t bombs shoved down my throat like some kind of verbal Wile E. Coyote.

Thanks though, it was my first flame war! However a word of advise: You might want to find a easier opponent though, this is one dance you should pass on if you get me. Seriously.

Back to the actual topic please.

Ranma Saotome
01-03-2004, 02:07 AM
And to unlock a song you gotta get an A on any song. At least they'll have downloads to get new songs but what's this? you gotta have xbox live AND pay $5 to download the songs? WTF! highway robbery!

The unlock system seems to be no different from any other home DDR game. As for Xbox live, you're paying 50 bucks a year to be on it, so I don't see how 5 bucks to download a ddr pack is highway robbery. It's just me.

-----

Flowers: I was not being beligerent at all. I was just making a point. The point in question... Maybe you hadn't noticed Ranma but this site is devoted to people who DRESS LIKE VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS! I am a cosplayer that cosplays anime AND videogame characters. What I said wasn't as an insult, but you read it as such. Before you go around pointing fingers and yelling, why don't you think before you speak. Called me on what? You didn't call me out on anything. I don't see where or how I got uber pissed at a newbie like you. And what I said is true... I have better things to do than to just read about the latest gaming news. First flame war? Congrats. Seems that I already plowed right through you, but I'm done with this. And I know you're gonna insult me because I'm walking away from your flame war. If you want to continue this, hit me up on AIM. I have no plans to continue your asinine ramblings. Owned.

Aku: So what? I have other things to do than to keep up with videogaming news. There are 1001 other things to be done out there. I already said that I didn't care about what was the latest gamin news so basically your post makes no sense. And like I just said to Flowers... I'm done with this. And I know you're gonna insult me because I'm walking away from your flame war. If you want to continue this, hit me up on AIM. I have no plans to continue your asinine ramblings. Owned.

Yes back on the topic.

I didn't think there be that many uber sensitve gaming freaks here. :p

Miaka No Baka
01-03-2004, 02:42 AM
the unlocking system is different. The home versions before it was just play 5 songs and you unlocked something. This one has specifics. To unlock a few songs you have to be able to play it on all 3 difficulties. One song you have to play through challenge mode and challenge mode is EVIL "get no more than 9 step combos and don't increase the bar over 50%" WTF is up with that they do make it hard to get goods. You always get tons of greats, very few perfects. The grading system is way more strict on giving perfects and goods. Which also makes it nearly impossible to get a AAA or even a regular A. And I still think it's rediculous to make you pay $5 to download some songs and you can't even pick which ones.

Miaka no Baka

FlowersInMidgar
01-03-2004, 10:32 AM
*yawn* Not the way it works Ranma.

- Now before you start filling out my warranty card -

What you said WAS an insult, first you implied we are losers, that what we do has a "better" alternative, than implied we're all fat slobs, than accused me of being stupid! Beligerent? look it up buddy. Finally, take your own advise.
Owned eh?
OK In favor of keeping this thread clean, I'll call you on that challenge Ranma, consider yourself on my "list". I'll aim you. Already on my "buddy" list though loosely termed. Wow I've never been "owned" by someones retreating dust. You "owned" nothing. Just saying something doesn't make it so.

You called me out, my friend and, it's on. "Owned?" You know nothing.

Oh and my question "Maybe you hadn't..." That was sarcastic. It refering to your hypocritical accusation/implication that the people here may be too into video games in an abstract way, like your obsession is cool but keeping up on game news is below you when you obviously do such things.

I found that odd considering you yourself dress like them, and your post implied that you, yourself was up on gaming news (Another contradictory to your argument on having better things to do with your time, you POSTED about game news! Think before YOU post! good lord!) "Owned"...right. We are all impressed.

This is my last post on this carp, see you on AIM boy, a word of advise: Dress light.

Ranma Saotome
01-03-2004, 11:52 AM
the unlocking system is different. The home versions before it was just play 5 songs and you unlocked something. This one has specifics. To unlock a few songs you have to be able to play it on all 3 difficulties. One song you have to play through challenge mode and challenge mode is EVIL "get no more than 9 step combos and don't increase the bar over 50%" WTF is up with that they do make it hard to get goods. You always get tons of greats, very few perfects. The grading system is way more strict on giving perfects and goods. Which also makes it nearly impossible to get a AAA or even a regular A. And I still think it's rediculous to make you pay $5 to download some songs and you can't even pick which ones.

Miaka no Baka

Well since it is xbox, prolly the reason why they changed the scoring system. You know, I understand your reasoning about paying for new songs, but this info was made public before the game was out. :/ Only other thing I can tell you is just find out what songs they are and play em on Stepmania. ^_^

Ranma Saotome
01-03-2004, 11:54 AM
*yawn* Not the way it works Ranma.

- Now before you start filling out my warranty card -

What you said WAS an insult, first you implied we are losers, that what we do has a "better" alternative, than implied we're all fat slobs, than accused me of being stupid! Beligerent? look it up buddy. Finally, take your own advise.
Owned eh?
OK In favor of keeping this thread clean, I'll call you on that challenge Ranma, consider yourself on my "list". I'll aim you. Already on my "buddy" list though loosely termed. Wow I've never been "owned" by someones retreating dust. You "owned" nothing. Just saying something doesn't make it so.

You called me out, my friend and, it's on. "Owned?" You know nothing.

Oh and my question "Maybe you hadn't..." That was sarcastic. It refering to your hypocritical accusation/implication that the people here may be too into video games in an abstract way, like your obsession is cool but keeping up on game news is below you when you obviously do such things.

I found that odd considering you yourself dress like them, and your post implied that you, yourself was up on gaming news (Another contradictory to your argument on having better things to do with your time, you POSTED about game news! Think before YOU post! good lord!) "Owned"...right. We are all impressed.

This is my last post on this carp, see you on AIM boy, a word of advise: Dress light.

LOL. You make me laugh. Go away.

SamuriSmurfX
01-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Now its time for me tog et stuff throwen at! I'll say some of the Zelda stuff . grr!! thats right! you said it to my FF8! and halo!!! *try it online!*
MGS2... definitly....

Nekobun
01-03-2004, 08:12 PM

In regards to the scoring thing (not quoted here), I beg to differ. I have many A's, and I've had the game for 8 hours. It's just as easy to get an A in Ultramix as it is in any other mix, I think. As for lag, I've only seen that happen with PS2-XBox pad adapters, so that's not Konami's fault.

I'll agree that the challenge mode is a complete crock, but you can still get Orion.78 the old fashioned way, by playing a crapload of songs (300, I believe). That's how I finished unlocking stuff in Max US, so I don't see it as that big of a problem. Challenge mode is that sort of bastard child that tends to come from Konami of Hawai'i - well-intentioned, but terrible. Like DDR PC.

And as for the Xbox Live packs issue, you're already dumping $50 a year for the service, right? That comes to around, what, $4.00 and chump change a month for unlimited hot online action? That's not that much. Dropping an extra $5 now and then seems like a petty thing to worry about, if you ask me. And no, you don't get to pick what's in the packs, but you can at least find out if it's stuff you want or not before you get them if you look around online, so really, I think it's a real sweet deal. Other games have this $5 download chunk thing going too, like Crimson Skies, so it's not like you're being specifically exploited or anything either.

Miaka No Baka
01-03-2004, 08:37 PM
see i don't already have xbox live, so it makes no sense to plunk down $50 bucks + $5 for the song pack when I can go out and just buy at least 1 brand new game or more if they're used or just the older cheaper ones. That's kinda why I think it's rediculous. I don't have any games that require the xbox live thing to play or that are multiplayer cept ddr.

Miaka no Baka

taiki
01-03-2004, 08:42 PM
In regards to the scoring thing (not quoted here), I beg to differ. I have many A's, and I've had the game for 8 hours. It's just as easy to get an A in Ultramix as it is in any other mix, I think. As for lag, I've only seen that happen with PS2-XBox pad adapters, so that's not Konami's fault.

No, this is Konami's fault. No official Konami pads = their fault. Sorry, but I just don't trust third party pads. Period.

I'll agree that the challenge mode is a complete crock, but you can still get Orion.78 the old fashioned way, by playing a crapload of songs (300, I believe). That's how I finished unlocking stuff in Max US, so I don't see it as that big of a problem. Challenge mode is that sort of bastard child that tends to come from Konami of Hawai'i - well-intentioned, but terrible. Like DDR PC.

Blame KCET for that. It was in the Playstation version of Fourth Mix and Extra Mix. I'm surprised it even came back. But it was fun, like most of the other Gimmicky gimmicks used in previous mixes.

[edit]

I think it's ridiculous too, to pay 50 bucks + song pack for Ultramix songs. Live! was meant for hardcore gamers, gamers who play things like Crimson Skies and such often. Not for the casual gamer which is the target DDR audience. I think Microsoft should've set up a free part of Live! that'd let you go online and pay for the song packs, but again, another problem is that you have to have some sort of either broadband service, or do Internet sharing over dialup. Which could get slow and take a long time.

Maybe they should've just had an option to order the disc/sell the disc like they did with the Club Appends for 2nd Remix and the beatmania 5 key series.

btw. my personal vote for most overrated game? Halo. But that's for another time.

Miaka No Baka
01-03-2004, 08:46 PM
I've played for several hours and still could not get a stupid A. I've tried getting 1 good, it gives you a B. I've tried getting more greats then perfects either ends up with a B or AA I forget which. I just can't seem to get the A to unlock that song. AAA is even harder I heard to get. The forums on ddrfreak.com had tons of people posting on how evil the grading system is and how on songs they normally can get AA but when they play the same exact song on ultramix they get a B.

Miaka no Baka

RoboGundam6
01-03-2004, 08:54 PM
1.) The Bouncer
2.) Star Wars Galaxies
3.) Batman..I forgot the title i don't think its Sin Tsu
4.) Rise Of The Robots
5.) Superman
6.) Tomb Raider Angel OF Darkness....DAM YOU EDIOS!

dam overhyped hell games

Ranma Saotome
01-04-2004, 12:00 PM
I've played for several hours and still could not get a stupid A. I've tried getting 1 good, it gives you a B. I've tried getting more greats then perfects either ends up with a B or AA I forget which. I just can't seem to get the A to unlock that song. AAA is even harder I heard to get. The forums on ddrfreak.com had tons of people posting on how evil the grading system is and how on songs they normally can get AA but when they play the same exact song on ultramix they get a B.

Miaka no Baka

First off, the people on DDR Freak except for a couple are a bunch tards who don't even know thier own ass from a hole in a wall.

Second, keep practicing. :) I have the utmost faith in you.

Miaka No Baka
01-04-2004, 12:16 PM
getting a stupid A should be way easier than getting a AA but yet it's not X_X I played after the game of love on basic (1 footer) couldn't get the AAA or A on it, always AA. *curses konami hawaii*

Miaka no Baka

Nekobun
01-04-2004, 06:53 PM
getting a stupid A should be way easier than getting a AA but yet it's not X_X I played after the game of love on basic (1 footer) couldn't get the AAA or A on it, always AA. *curses konami hawaii*

I didn't have nearly that much trouble, myself. I turned on the game when I first got it, and went through Castles In The Sky, Ready Steady Go, Shiny Disco Balls, After The Game Of Love, and Healing Vision, all Basic, with an A in each one on the first try. It's hardly impossible.

RoboGundam6
01-27-2004, 10:56 AM
The Bouncer for PS2

FF X-2 its all hype and shiney graphics ADMIT IT! Charles Angels wanna be's with Sailor Moon transformations!

Lengis
01-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Sims, Black and White, Tekken 4, Starfox Adventures, were all overrated. The biggest out of those has to be SA, which was complete garbage.

the rob
01-28-2004, 09:20 PM
HI ! Newbie, so hope this isn't to unpopular a vote, but MGS, any of them~I thought once u got past the really sweet graphics,smooth scrolling and inovative idea's~ it was just blah,...

Ok now to that deep dark pit in ur heart form which u will hate me 4eva, Zelda: WW, I loved every zelda game, grew up picking up rocks, spent Easter Morning playing Z2 and so on. Se I was all reading to hate Zelda, just b/c of the Cshading But I worked thru it and gave it an honest try and really fell in love!! That lasted about as long as hiding in a barrel,timed jumps and feeling like a Mario Game in a Zelda package. Nothing will ever stop me from waiitng for the next, just my thoughts , * now I shall crawl under a rock*

Darkwolf
01-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Splinter Cell and Madden 2004. I'm not much on sports games to begin with, and I'm so sick of hearing about madden. Splinter Cell was ok, but a lot of people hyped it up like it was some landmark in gaming, and it wasn't even close. Many called it innovative, but stealth based games have been around for years. Metal Gear tops Splinter Cell because you have freedom of choice, you can be stealth, or try to blast your way through. In Splinter Cell, it is all stealth. You want to see something new and innovative? Go play Animal Crossing.

Demon Hyo
02-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Hands down these so far in my book...

Marvel VS Capcom 2
Final Fantasy X and X-2
Initial D
Soul Calibur 2
Counter-Strike (coughs badly)
Everquest (piece of #$%*!)

I kinda put DDR on my list but in a way I can't since I created DDR Animix. lol...But those are my evil games that are way overrated.

Rey-Rey
02-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Final Fantasy series are both overrated and underrated as I mentioned somewhere else. OVERRATED because people automatically sell their souls and cosplay it like no tomorrow even if they've never pushed a button for the game. UNDERRATED because some people refuse to give it a chance because it is so MAINSTREAM now.

Nerve-chan
02-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Grand Theft Auto, Great game and not overrated at all. If it weren't for this game I probably would have shot someone in real life. This game lets me take out all my rage with out hurting any one real. It maybe overrated, but it's one of the best games I have ever played in my life.

Overratted games:
Final Fantasy X-2, X, VIII, Forget the rest
Chrono Cross/ Chrono Trigger (what was that?)
Halo
Street Fighter series (GO KOF!!!)
and now for the most overrated game of them all:

Kingdom Hearts! (no surprise there, I want my $50 back!)

agent47
02-18-2004, 08:20 PM
halo is by far the most over rated game of all time! pong all the way! im rick james *****

Ritley
02-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Final Fantasy 6, X, and X-2.
HALO.
ET for Atari 2600. *snickers*
CounterStrike

king
02-19-2004, 11:12 AM
FFVII? Whoa. I actually really liked that game. It had a very well developed storyline and I liked it a lot. FFVIII wasn't a favorite of mine either, but I mean, once you get the hang of junctioning, you're set. So much hate for final fantasy in this thread, yeesh. I think all the FF games are fine the way they are, because...they're different and I'm kinda glad that they run differently. Makes them each their own game and unique, and doesn't give you the same thing over and over again that's always boring. I dunno, maybe it's just me that doesn't have such malice toward the FF series. I liked all the game, from the first to even X-2, mostly for story purposes rather than gameplay I guess. When I play a rpg like FF, I can except to have a pretty good story out of it for the most part. I mean, FFVIII had an incredible amount of character development for the hero, FFVII gave us a story that made most gamers cry at one point, and I dunno, I just don't understand why everyone thinks it's so horrible. I agree it got hyped up way too much, but I don't hate the games because they got hyped up. Yeesh. :woah:

Oh, and HALO is a fun game...just a lot more fun to play as multiplayer. I didn't think much of it either when I first heard about it, and saw some people playing by themselves. But once I had the story explained to me and everything, thought it was a pretty decent game.

DDR?! Wow. I played DDR cuz it looked fun to play, but I guess there are people out there who play as a fad. Most people I know who play, play because they really like the game and the music. Once you play, it's hard not to play again. And those who don't play usually don't like the idea of the game, or they played once, didn't do well and refuse to play again. Practice people, practice.

I think GTA3 and GTA:VC are overrated...but I'm a girl and don't really care for a game where I steal cars and work for the mafia. Yeah, don't really give a damn about that. And I think people mad too big of a deal about it. Way too big of a deal about it.

Nerve-chan
02-19-2004, 06:46 PM
FFVII? Whoa. I actually really liked that game. It had a very well developed storyline and I liked it a lot. FFVIII wasn't a favorite of mine either, but I mean, once you get the hang of junctioning, you're set. So much hate for final fantasy in this thread, yeesh. I think all the FF games are fine the way they are, because...they're different and I'm kinda glad that they run differently. Makes them each their own game and unique, and doesn't give you the same thing over and over again that's always boring. I dunno, maybe it's just me that doesn't have such malice toward the FF series. I liked all the game, from the first to even X-2, mostly for story purposes rather than gameplay I guess. When I play a rpg like FF, I can except to have a pretty good story out of it for the most part. I mean, FFVIII had an incredible amount of character development for the hero, FFVII gave us a story that made most gamers cry at one point, and I dunno, I just don't understand why everyone thinks it's so horrible. I agree it got hyped up way too much, but I don't hate the games because they got hyped up. Yeesh. :woah:

I think GTA3 and GTA:VC are overrated...but I'm a girl and don't really care for a game where I steal cars and work for the mafia. Yeah, don't really give a damn about that. And I think people mad too big of a deal about it. Way too big of a deal about it.

I am a girl too and GTA is god given to me because its fun to play.

I don't think this is turning into a FF hate thread. Everyone is giving out their thoughts on what they think are overratted games

king
02-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Maybe I came across the wrong way. It's not necessarily turning into an FF-hate thread...but people are arguing over which game is better and I mean...can't they make a thread to argue over it...it's not about overrated anymore, it's about which game they prefer.

nothing
02-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Yeah, probably the Bouncer, Your all psyched up because your gonna beat the piss out of bad guys and.....whats this........you beat the game in like a couple of hours.
just way too short.