PDA

View Full Version : @#*&% sewing machine . . .

Ayaka
06-18-2002, 09:01 PM
The repair shop has had my sewing machine for two weeks now . . . and still haven't ordered the part it needs. They didn't even call, we had to keep calling till we got the repair guy, and he says he'll order it sometime this week (maybe) when he gets enough other part orders together so he doesn't get a surcharge. If I'm LUCKY I'll have it Friday . . . here's where I have a panic attack . . . I can't believe this guy. I'm really worried about having my costumes done in time for AX. :( It broke two months ago as well, same part. With the combined repair cost I could have bought a new one instead of repairing this relic . . .! And wouldn't have had to deal with these idiots. :mad:

Sorry, depressed about it so I needed to rant for a sec.

MyuMyu
06-18-2002, 09:14 PM
i COMPLETELY understand - mine is in the same state *sigh*

Lady Somairot
06-18-2002, 09:28 PM
>_< i sorry.

BUT there CAN be happy endings to that story!

my best friend is making a Charlotte costume from Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and her sewing machine was in the shop for.. oh... about 3 weeks? so we were making her costume and my Carmila costume on one machine. not the end of the world, but it takes so much longer, you know? wellllll she JUST got her's back YESTERDAY, which was like, 2 weeks after they said it'd be finished. so, it CAN happen. ^_^ all will be well!!

..and if it's not,...

kill.. Kill... KIIIILLLLLLLL!!!

^_^ to quote my Osamitsu-chan. ^_~

Rosiel
06-18-2002, 09:42 PM
And if worse comes to worse... I hand-sewed a full patent leather DragonSlayer (Escaflowne) uniform in almost 2 weeks (and I work full-time).

So there is always the possibility of going back a few hundred years and going to school in the snow, uphill, BOTH WAYS.

;)

Don't worry I am sure all will turn out for the best!

Tenshi
06-18-2002, 10:31 PM
I feel your pain. My sewing machine was broken right up until 10 days before AX last year. I still managed to finish two costumes, so I'm sure you'll manage! Hmm. . .you have any friends with sewing machines? XD

Ayaka
06-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the sympathy/encouragement. ^^

Oh no, not yours too, MyuMyu! *sigh*

Rosiel - you . . . did . . . what?! *is amazed* Well, I did the majority of my Haruko costume with hand sewing and managed to get it done. I'm not sewing in any vinyl this time, so I may just start sewing on some stuff. ^^

Sadly, while I do have friends with sewing machines, they both live an hour away. =_= So unless I move in for a few days to do some sewing (lol . . . it's a thought) I don't think that'll help much . . .

Well here's hoping a lot of other people's machines broke (gomen ne!) so that the order goes in soon and I get my machine back. ^^ (I'm evil.) But otherwise I'm going to get EVERYTHING cut out and set up, and start doing some hand sewing. *tries to roll up sleeves . . . doesn't have any* YOUSH!

LiL QoH
06-19-2002, 02:34 AM
I think you spend more money on fixing sewing machines I'd rahter just buy a new one! @_@ if I had the money that is lol

peacecraft
06-19-2002, 10:20 AM
That's whhy I bought an extra cheapy one, because my singer ened up in the shop too often.

Rosiel
06-19-2002, 11:58 AM
I paid extra for an insane warranty on my sewing machine, which means it won't break until said warranty runs out, by Murphy's Law. LOL

quixotic
06-19-2002, 02:07 PM
this same kind of this happened to me with a turntable i bought at a pawn shop. i let it sit at the shop for a month before taking it back and fixing it myself.

while i don't expect you can just fix it yourself, what i'd suggest is going to some other repair shops and finding out if they can order the part sooner. capitalism, etc etc yada yada ;)

good luck!

Ayaka
06-19-2002, 05:30 PM
This was my mom's sewing machine (before I hijacked it lol). It's from . . . like . . . 1974 I think? Which means it's a hideous shade of yellow/orange. It's a fancy one, or was then. Hahah I'm still trying to think of a way to use the "Scotty dog" attachment (yes, it embroiders strings of little scotty dogs). If it breaks again, I'm just getting another. It's had a good run, after nearly 30 years lol.

But we get this really tacky catalog called Doctor Leonard's, which has a $30 portable eeny-weeny sewing machine (it's $20 without an AC adapter). Having one of those as a backup, or since it's small enough to take to an actual con (not that I want to sew at a con, but if I HAD to...), seems like a good idea. My friend's grandparents order things obsessively from that catalog and they're getting one, so if it's decent I'll pass that info along. ^^

Rosiel - Yup. ^^;

Cynthia
07-12-2002, 12:00 PM
I broke my moms-the guy at the shop said the timer was off. And then my mom flipped out and told me that I had to get it fixed, and that after I paid to fix it, that I wasn't allowed to use it anymore. So my Dad-who isn't psycho-told me to put a machine on lay away at Wal-Mart and that he'd pay the fifty bucks to get it repaired. I think it got fixed in a week-but that was after several weeks of it sitting in my dad's and then my mom's car waiting to be dropped off at the repair store. I was lucky enough that I didn't need to have anything ready for a con or the haunted house.