PDA

View Full Version : My First time Sculpting... An Aeris Statue!

Mizuho
12-08-2002, 11:18 PM
This was my first time trying to do a 3-D sculpture (... Can you tell it was my first time? ;) ). I thought Aeris would be an easy person to sculpt... So I gave it a shot. I just painted it today. Although it didn't turn out too well, she gave me several hours of quiet, peaceful amusement. ^_^

But even as such, I am afraid to paint a face on her. :thumbsup: Ahhhh! I am thinking of just leaving her without a face. *_*

http://www.aniphelia.net/sara/aeris/statue/three.jpg

More up-close pictures are at these URLs. ^_^

http://www.aniphelia.net/sara/aeris/statue/side.jpg
http://www.aniphelia.net/sara/aeris/statue/back.jpg
http://www.aniphelia.net/sara/aeris/statue/front.jpg

I'm thinking about putting a glossy-finish it on, instead of having the Matte-finish on it. If I don't give her to somebody as a present for the Holidays, I'll probably just stick her on a heavier block of wood and use her as a book-end. :D

Bell-chan
12-09-2002, 12:26 AM
It's very cute ^_^ <jealous....I have no sculpting skills>

LiL QoH
12-09-2002, 02:21 PM
That looks really hard to do, is it?

It looks great :D

Mizuho
12-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Awww. *Hugs* Thanks, you guys. It's not that difficult to do. I just boght some gray Das-Pronto Modeling Clay, and just tested my skills. The paint job is actually pretty terrible if you were to see the statue in real life. I really should have taken more care to smooth out the clay more before she dried. ^_^

Anyway, now that I know a little bit more about what I'm doing, I think I'm going to try at making another statue. I wonder who I should do next. :thumbsup:

Spooky Brew
12-09-2002, 03:34 PM
I really should do more sculpting, the thing is, I suck! Oh well, practice makes perfect right? Mizuho, don't try some thing to hard! Maybe do another Aeris and kinda perfect your skills from there! Sculpting is hard! I wish you good luck!!!!!!

Mizuho
12-09-2002, 03:52 PM
You have some wonderful insight, Spooky Brew. ^_^; I think it would be beneficial to make another Aeris statue, and consider this one my "Prototype". If I ever get around to it, I'll be sure to post pictures. :thumbsup:

Spooky Brew
12-09-2002, 03:54 PM
I can't wait!!

Studmaster
12-09-2002, 10:05 PM
Wow, that is a really nice build, it seems like you've been working very hard to make this good. I hope it comes out well when it's finished.

Mizuho
12-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Thank you, guys. I'll do my best. :love:

Space Invader
12-13-2002, 03:32 PM
I've started to sculpt out one of my own characters - it's a bust shot (shoulders and up). Your statue looks good for a first try, but here are a few hints from me (I'm pretty well seasoned in sculpting):
~First off, shape out the face. Add a nose, cheekbones, a chin, eyebrow ridges, etc. I also like to add in the basic eye shape.
~
Try making the hair in pieces. Make tha bangs one piece, and then make strands for the rest of her hair. Style it as you wish.

The type of clay I use is called Roma Plastalina - you can find it at any GOOD art store (a.k.a. NOT Hobby Lobby or Michaels). It comes in 4 hardnesses - I am using hardness 2 right now (pretty soft). For things like hands and hiar, and small, fine details, I would resommend the 4 hardness level - this crap is hard as a brick. It's great for maintaining a shape. Howver, this clay doesn't dry. Ever. So if you use it, you need to make a cast of it. If you want to do that, you'll need to make things in seperate pieces, like they do in model and garage kits (it helps if you have one to look at). Bangs in seperate pieces, arms, bows, things like that all need to be made onto the figure then taken off the be cast seperately. Make sure they fit right, cause plaster and casting resin don't bend after they're dry ^^.

Just a few tips, hope this helped!

*Shiva*
12-13-2002, 04:03 PM
Wow - that's really good! I can't say I've ever had a successful sculpting venture, but maybe I'll give it another shot. You inspired me :D
In any case, I think she'd be even better if you added eyes - I know its hard because you are afraid of messing it up - I've had that happen before - but you can't leave her faceless. Maybe try lightly penciling in where you want to place her facial features before painting, that way you can get an idea of how its going to look and be more confident. Again, great job!

Mizuho
12-13-2002, 10:03 PM
Space Invader: Heh heh. I used some pretty cheap clay for Aeris. ^_^; It was this Das-Pronto White Modeling Clay; it was only $4.99 for a pack (I didn't want to invest too much money in a prototype project, but even so, I think I could have have used better clay!) The suggestions you made are probably going to be very helpful to me in my future endeavors. You really sound like you know a lot more about this subject than I do, anyway, hehe.

Shiva; I probably will end up penciling in the eyes! Hopefully, they'll come out okay. Aeris has been sitting there for about a week without eyes, and I think I've gathered up enough courage to give it a go. Wish me luck. :)

Adella
12-20-2002, 01:52 PM
I give it 8 thumbs up!!! *^_^* that's so cute Mizuho. I made one once that of model magic. the head fell off ... ROFL.

SpPANDA
12-20-2002, 02:44 PM
heY! that's really pretty!
you should concider doing all teh ff7 characters. that's be fun!
omg! chocomog!

Mizuho
12-20-2002, 08:27 PM
Oh man, Aeris. How was working with Model Magic? I almost made mine out of that... But it was like, $3.99 per little bag. *_*