PDA

View Full Version : Boots and Gloves

Ashii
06-19-2002, 11:32 PM
I was wondering, how do you make gloves (above elbow) and boots/boot covers (above knee) out of Vinyl? 0_o; Help please!

Rosiel
06-19-2002, 11:38 PM
For gloves... you BUY them...

Seriously I have tried to make a pair last weekend and it nearly drove me insane. >___<

So I highly recommend buying them. Unless you really really can't help it. Then, word to the wise, for vinyl, cut the fabric bigger than the pattern or it will NOT work because even stretch vinyl will lose most of its stretch if you cut really small pieces.

Ayaka
06-20-2002, 12:47 AM
I can't speak to making them from vinyl, but I have made gloves from scratch. It IS a nightmare. But you CAN make them from scratch and have them (eventually) be gloves. However working with vinyl, doing them long and (I assume) fairly tight-fitting, until you have searched EVERYWHERE for gloves like that don't start the trial by much fire of making them.

A tip if you do have to make them - working with anything other than Spandex do a separate thumb piece, like on store-bought gloves. Otherwise you won't be able to move your thumb at all; we never appreciate the gift of opposable thumbs until we're wearing gloves with no flex. x_X Also, while you can go the trace-your-hand method, it'll be much easier to get a pair of gloves like what you want in another fabric, and disassemble them to make a pattern.

Rosiel
06-20-2002, 09:48 AM
> a pair of gloves like what you want in another fabric, and disassemble them to make a pattern.

And again don't forget to add a good half an inch on all sides, especially on the side of the hand, because gloves are generally made of fabric that is a LOT stretchier than vinyl.

It's easier to take them in than to stuff your hand in a too-tight vinyl glove.

Oh, and you're probably going to have to do some hand-sewing in spots. It's really hard to sew fingertips with a machine.

dark_arkis77
06-27-2002, 04:47 PM
long boots and gloves, lol.

on yer knees!!

lick my boots!!

opps, I'm getting off topic >.<
I would suggest adding vinal to a of shoes you already have (or are going to buy), and this may sound taky, but staples, duct tape, and clothes pins can work really well under an emergency (I would know from experience)/\_/\ . Well, good luck

Quies
06-27-2002, 05:31 PM
http://faeriewings.net/method/
go there and to costume assesories and then to gloves and boots.
that tutorial should help somewhat.

Medellia
06-28-2002, 01:12 PM
www.spandexhouse.com

They sell tons of stretch vinyl (and about everything else stretchy). It's nice and shiny but has the advantage of being a more glove-like material. You can ask them to send you free swatches/samples of any colors and fabrics you are interested in, so no guess work is involved! Plus, their prices are very reasonable, and they have FREE SHIPPING! You can't ask for more... the only catch is that it has to be an order of $20 or more... Then again, how many cosplayers have problem of not being able to buy enough fabric?? I love Spandex House *hugs them*