PDA

View Full Version : First timer!!

Spooky Brew
12-09-2002, 08:17 PM
Yes, confused yet?

This is actually a picture of a first time attempt of drawing and colouring completely in Photoshop! Ya, go me! But...uh..yes, no scanner involoved or anything. I just wanted to see what you think of it! And there's a reason for it's title name! :D

Miroku
12-10-2002, 12:42 AM
Wild! It looks like an alien baby ghost embryo thing floating through someones house which has been pulled into a dimensional vortex or something.

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 12:43 AM
LOL!!!
I like your interpertation better than mine!

Miroku
12-10-2002, 12:55 AM
I've done pictures like that in Photoshop before. You know, where you splash some colors on the layer, and then start messing with the filters. You can actually end up with some interesting effects.

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 12:57 AM
I did really no filters, I all I used was the paintbrush, the airbrush, and then the smudge tool. My avatar is just basic shapes that are applied to different layers with different 'tones' I could say..like darken and soften, like those.

Miroku
12-10-2002, 01:04 AM
I think I need to go get a book on how to use photoshop. I would love to use it to make that color manga look that you get with Copic markers.

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 01:06 AM
Never gotten copics, to expensive! I'm lucky I'm getting Prismacolours this year!

Miroku
12-10-2002, 01:20 AM
Yeah, Copics are a little expensive. I have a couple of Prisma color markers. Havent used them very much. With markers you really have to know what you are doing. You have to have the right paper, and know how much pressure to apply etc. It can be overwhelming to think about sometimes. Learning how to draw has been enough of a challenge. Its strange how much work goes into having fun isnt it?

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 01:21 AM
I don't know how much I would like the sketchpad to be alive so I could strangle the crap outta it! Yes, but we all make sacrifices....I guess.

BlueLady
12-10-2002, 01:36 AM
I love my copics..nothing quite like them. To get that affect though, you can create a small rectangle brush and then apply color the at 20-40% opacity. Then I go over it with diffent brushers at a higher opacity. Looks very close to copics.

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 01:38 AM
Oh really? I should try that sometime! Thanks BlueLady!

Miroku
12-10-2002, 01:41 AM
LOL....Ive done that before.

I have actually stared at a drawing I did, decided it was crap, then instantly ripped it into pieces, and flung the pieces across the room in frustration. I would love to actually have a teacher to guide me through learning to draw, rather than alone with some books. Not that anything is wrong with that. It would just be nice to have someone around who is a professional who knows what they are talking about, and could pass on their experience.

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 01:47 AM
Sometimes it's better to learn for yourself though, that's what I did the first 7 years when I actually was intrested into drawing! I suggest just stock up on comics, mangs, anime adaptions, american. Just find a style you really like and just study it, copy a few pictues and see if you like it. I did that when i first got into Yu Watase's stuff, if I showed you older pictuers, you could tell it had her style in it. Right now, I just developed my own style. All you can do is study the styles you like and slowly develop your own diffrences between the drawings! I hoped that helped.....

Miroku
12-10-2002, 02:01 AM
Yeah, thats basically what I did, except I studied Rumiko Takahashi's style. I should post some pics sometime. I think Im finally developing my own style, and my artwork is (slowly) improving.

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 02:02 AM
Coolio! Post 'em!

BlueLady
12-10-2002, 02:05 AM
as far as photoshop goes I know alot and my boyfriend knows EVERYTHING. ( not bragging it's true) If you have a question I can try to answer it. I know most the technical crap ,but the style department's all your own !

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 02:07 AM
Cool, thanks! I just never heard of making your PS pictures marker style.

Miroku
12-10-2002, 02:27 AM
You must work in Photoshop alot Bluelady. My only question is how do I get that professional Copic Marker look. You mentioned making a square brush and adjusting the opacity. When I color in that anime cel-shaded method I have a seperate layer for the base color, the highlights, and the shadows. Would you do the same for a Manga-esque look, or color all on one layer?

Hey spookybrew heres a pic I drew.

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 02:27 AM
That's cute!!!!!

Miroku
12-10-2002, 02:32 AM
Thanks! :)

BlueLady
12-10-2002, 03:15 AM
definalty seperate layers. It took me some time to get used to that. What I do first is take a line drawing and use the multiply layer to turn it into a trasparency ( gets rid of the white). The I do a base color layer underneath that to establish the main colors. ( if the colors are not on 100% opacity I leave a white layer on the bottom. Then I add layers as I need to to get the effect I want, leaving the line drawing on top. Last I do a layer onthe very top to add highlights that would mimic the white paint highlights on top of a manga copic drawing. Heck* I hope this isn't to annoyingly confusing..

Spooky Brew
12-10-2002, 03:53 PM
No, I get it! I'm just branching out basically, finding a good sztylr for me to use. I'ver been using the one where you create seperate layers on top of your drawing on. You have a seperate layer for each different part of your drawing (shirt, hair, skin...) and then turn that layer to darken so it dosen't go over the lines. Then I just shade and highlight all on that seperate layer! I basically just learned how to do the thing you said BlueLady!
(wahoo, wordy!)