PDA

View Full Version : where do you get YOUR pocky?

Jibrille
06-20-2002, 08:30 PM
WEEEE!!! POCKY!!!!
Who else is addicted?!?! RAISE YOUR HAND!
*flails hands in the air*

so those of you who love it, where do you get your supply?
i have only ever gotten mine at conventions and there was some strawberry and chocolate pocky products sold at a Weggmans store about an hour away.
but i decided yesterday after searching many a web site that i am going to buy some online.
the best place i've found is www.jcrave.com. there selection is decent and they use paypal as their checkout form so they made my life easier. ^^ *loves paypal* the only downside is the site doesnt have the giant pocky. ;_;
there was another great site (www.ramencity.com/pocky.htm), but they were sold out of everything... *weeps*

and then on that jcrave site they have the strangest flavor i've ever seen. GREEN TEA MOUSSE pocky. O.o

my favorites are the White Chocolate Mousse, chocolate, and marble fudge pockys, chocolate filled Koala Cookies, the 'mushrooms', and vanilla and chocolate Yan-Yans. ^^
if only jcrave had the mushrooms...

Yggdrasil Pie
06-20-2002, 08:34 PM
Pocky... @_@

This asian market near my house sells it... but i'm not trying to eat too much, last time I did. I got sick. ^_^

I like the white kind...what was it now...?

The_manhamster
06-20-2002, 08:57 PM
I had the chocolate kind and didn't like it... :(

Luna
06-20-2002, 09:13 PM
I just got my supply of chocolate and strawberry ones...and Hello Panda chocolate cookies as well! Yum! I tried Pocky for the first time about a month ago! Fell in love at the first sight...thankfully they opened an Asian Market store very close from where I live, so I shop there every week! I'll have to load up for the AX. :-)

Tenshisama
06-20-2002, 09:33 PM
heehee, I am lucky enough to have an Uwajimaya/Kinokuniya about a half hour away from me, so they supply all my pocky/manga needs. That's generally how trips go when I visit the store with my friends. ^_^ First down the pocky aisle (which also as all those sorts of cute toys that come in small boxes... i have zillions of bunnies and bears on my bag from that aisle, as well as cute pokemon plushies and a Mini Moni plushie). I tend to get Men's pocky and Chocolate mousse pocky. ^______^ When I taught some Japanese to a class of 3rd graders for a few weeks, I bought them milk and strawberry pocky! ^_^

Then it's off to Kinokuniya for manga ^________^ they also have a small selection of goods, like cards, figurines, posters, etc. I wish they had a better pencil board selection though ^___^

Green Tea pocky sounds weird O_o As for the mushrooms candy, they also make one shaped like trees. So cute! :D

Ukayoru no Chou
06-20-2002, 09:40 PM
"Mushroom shaped candy" wassdat? Oh, pocky, read about it online, went to local store, fond to boxes [ of strawberry, tried chcolate, taste like powered milk , plain to me..x_X ] and have loved it ever since. My friend in canada is deprived of basically anything, so I mailed her some, and now shes hooked as well

go meee~

Lol- Panda cookies are goodies *__*..
I feel like going to the asian supermarket now..x_X

Jibrille
06-20-2002, 09:49 PM
> Then it's off to Kinokuniya for manga ^________^ they
also have a small selection of goods, like cards, figurines,
posters, etc. I wish they had a better pencil board selection
though ^___^

Kinokuniya!!! its about 3 hours from me (if traffic isnt hell) i'm so jealous! i wish i lived that close! ;_;
me and my friends are trying to plot a trip there this upcomming semester. man i hope we get there. *crosses fingers*

Jibrille
06-20-2002, 10:07 PM
omg...that is a horridly embarassing typo... *cries* i wish i could fix it... *smacks self* :(

RealizeDOP
06-20-2002, 10:59 PM
I get mine from the Asia Market or Japanese Store around here : )

Babbit_Chan
06-20-2002, 11:25 PM
I get mine from the R & S Oriental Store XD

Tenshisama
06-20-2002, 11:48 PM
hope you make it there Jibrille!!! ^_^ a friend and I might travel up to Seattle to visit the Uwajimaya's village (with kinokuniya) this summer (that's about 3 1/2 hours) that one is much much bigger and their kinos has a much larger music selection. plus, they have one thing i can't get here... BUBBLE TEA!!!

Ayaka
06-21-2002, 02:17 AM
Where do I get my Pocky? Anywhere I can. *Naga laugh*

o.o Err. Anyway. I live about 45 minutes from a Mitsuwa (the Grocery Formerly Known As Yaohan)/Kinokuniya store, so I get my Hi-Chew and Pocky and Kasugai Gummies and big-a bottles of CC Lemon there when I'm at home in Chicago. In NYC they sell Pocky at most normal grocery stores, the basic flavors anyway. I don't eat the weirder ones. But there's some sodas I had in Japan that I can't get here . . .T-T

Legato/Machan
06-21-2002, 12:35 PM
*snif .. snif* there's no Pocky in the Japanese Store close here!!!

Nadeshiko
06-23-2002, 05:49 PM
At the Filipino market near Ghetto High. (aka Carson High) ^^

Sometimes I get them at Mitsuwa, but the market sells a small box of pocky for 50 cents.

LiL QoH
06-23-2002, 06:06 PM
Ebisu, and Mitsuwa

ThePirateKing
06-23-2002, 07:06 PM
Pshh pocky isn't all that good the way people freak out over it, I think its because its japanise its a fad among otaku. Gimme Brachs fruit chews anyday.

Renzokuken
06-23-2002, 09:22 PM
Pocky was quite an amusing snack, when I could get my hands on it. Actually got a cousin that didn't like anime hooked on it (so the "it's a fad amoungst otaku" idea can't work for everyone, PirateKing ;) for awhile, but the anime shop that was closest to me, about an hour and a half, two hours away-- they closed down because the mall was charging them a full lot despite them using about 1/3 of a lot...

They have another store, but it's almost three hours from here. x_x So that, dear friends, is a big no-no. I'll have to try those sites. :)

rayechu
06-24-2002, 04:41 AM
never had pocky.. :( but the people at Ohayocon screaming pocky repeatedly kind of got annoying -_-

Renzokuken
06-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Eaugh. I know what that's like-- friend of mine started an anime club in my first year of college, and they had some major mismanagement of the funds. By the second year, they wanted to do stuff like, order pocky with the club budget-- by the case. Mind you, the next order of business, after deciding to set aside about $150 of the club's (tight) budget (since all new clubs get very tiny budgets), they started talking about pooling the club's cash together and going on a trip down to BAAF 2001 for the weekend.

Fortunately my Aikido lessons resumed, and fell upon the same night as the club meetings. We can guess which took precedence over the other.

Hikaruchan
06-24-2002, 01:35 PM
I cann't eat Pocky as it makes me sick as has MSG. Tried it one time w/o reading the label and did like the Strawberry favor before migrane kicked in.

In Nashville there are several places to get it. The K&S World Market on Nolesville, the farmers market downtown - stall on back isle, liitle asian market near Great Escape, and supposedly Kitsune in Hickory Hollow has it too.

Yami Kuroneko
06-24-2002, 02:03 PM
Pocky! The king of all snacks, how i love Pocky. Over here i can get it all the time, since i love so close to a bunch of oriental stores. Although i'm not very fond of the strawberry flavor, but i LOVE the chocolate one! Well gotta go eat more Pocky!! Sayonara! =^.^=

All Hail The kitty,
YamI Kuroneko :thumbsup:

Ranma Saotome
06-24-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Ayaka
But there's some sodas I had in Japan that I can't get here . . .T-T

I know where to get them sodas.

I get my Pocky fix from the Fuji Mart in Scarsdale or down in NYC Chinatown, tons of places. :)

forte-mari
06-24-2002, 09:44 PM
There's a Wegmans 20 minutes from my house that sells the stuff. I haven't had any in a while, it wasn't the best thing I've ever had, but I think that I should have some soon. It's all about the chocolate flavor for me.

Now what I really want to have is Ramune soda.

Legato/Machan
06-25-2002, 12:46 PM
Well, I want INCA COLA!!! It's so good!!! It's a soft drink from Peru. My brother brought some for me when he played baseball there.
What is the name of the juices that has little pieces of fruits?

Ranma Saotome
06-25-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Legato/Machan
Well, I want INCA COLA!!! It's so good!!! It's a soft drink from Peru. My brother brought some for me when he played baseball there.

I've actually seen that in somestores around here. ^^ Maybe I should try it. ^^

Jibrille
06-25-2002, 06:08 PM
Ramune soda...something i wish i would have tried when i had the chance, all my friends said it was good but i passed it up. ;_;
such a neat bottle! there's always next con... ^^

Renzokuken
06-25-2002, 06:47 PM
I've got a collection of those bottles. ^^

Used to buy it nearly by the case... it was good stuff. Friend of mine at the dorms wanted to break one of the bottles once, so he could get the marble out.

Ranma Saotome
06-25-2002, 07:59 PM
You know... Reminds me of when I had cheerwine. Cheerwine is this high impact cherry soda sold in NC... Gods, I miss that stuff! ;.;

Kenshin Ken
06-25-2002, 10:49 PM
hmm.. back to the pocky topic!! ^_^. *ahem*

I live in San francisco, and I have gotta be satisfied on where I get my stash ^_^. I know of 3 man sections of San Francisco that would sell the stuff. J

1) Japantown's Maruwa market or upstaris at the Ichiban Kan store ^_^... M aruwa is usually expenisve, but they have a very wide selection. Ichiban kan sells it on occasion, for a buck a box ^_^.

2) CHinatown, every other grocery store alogn the tourist trap and above it ^^. They have limited selection..but it's plenty ^^.

3) my Favorite supplier, Tokyo Ya on Clement street ^^ the chepaest I know of ANYWEHRE.. well actualyl the tubes of strawberry-choclate bits I can find cheaper at anotehr shop up the street from it.. but it's one compact store ..a haven of Japanese snacks ^__^.

I have tried the Green Tea pocky... ^^;; it's ..sorta unique... I kinda like it ^^;; the Kirin brand stuff tastes funny though ^^; ( I consider Kirin a generic brand of pocky ) I made soem jokes about it while I was t a club meeting one day... my favorite comment was " hey man look! glow in the dark pocky!" LOL )

My favorites are, Choclate, Men's, Strawberry, delus strawberry ( that's what I call it..cause it looks bumpy with the strawberry bits ^^) Almond Crush pocky, choclate mousse pocky and mmm..that's all for pocky... but I also love these tubes of candies~! ^%_^ there's this one where it's a strawberry gummy coated with choclate.. ^_^ they get pretty addictive ^_^.

Ramune is also sold around here in the same abundance... I'm not sure if it's original or a chiense varient.. but I've seen Lychee Ramune ^^;;

The little marble is pretty cool, but one time, a friend of mine swallwoed the thing after getting spooked by his cat LOL.

these sancksaren't realted..but I lvoe em anyway:

Horlicks: they coem in a jar, or come in little packets wit in the shape of round tablets, they're sweet after awhile, but they stick to your teeth ^^;;...yeasty~!

Chiense Shrimp Crackers: THey've been my favorite for years..and still are ^_^.

Hopage
06-27-2002, 01:07 PM
I've ordered from asianmunchies.com a bunch of times, their stick has dwiundled in recent moths but they still have a lot.
Oh and the best pocky by far is coconut, and the strangest soda ever is melon ramune :)

Ranma Saotome
06-27-2002, 03:05 PM
I ordered from Japanesesnacks.com. Stuff is reasonablypriced, but the shipping costs are horrendous and they ship by USPS, and you have to goto the post office and pickup your package. I'd still order from them, provided that they change the shipping policies.

Legato/Machan
06-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome

I've actually seen that in somestores around here. ^^ Maybe I should try it. ^^

Yeah, try it! It's very good. I have a friend there, next month a box of Inca Cola only for me! Weeee!!!

Ayaka
06-28-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome

I know where to get them sodas.

I get my Pocky fix from the Fuji Mart in Scarsdale or down in NYC Chinatown, tons of places. :)

No you don't lol. Not trying to be harsh, but they don't have what I'm looking for. I get my (original) Ramune fix from that grocery on Canal; I don't go to Dynasty much, they have more candy and I've never looked at soda there, but it smells SO much like dead fish . . . OO;;; I haven't been to the Fuji Mart. It good?

Has anyone else been to the Coke museum in Las Vegas? The museum's kinda lame (the old commercial room is cool though); but they have one great thing - FREE SODA FROM AROUND THE WORLD. All kinds of weird stuff from different countries. Some people I talked to hated it, said the stuff was awful, but I had some great freaky soda there! Stupid US, only just now can I get things like Fanta here in Chicago. Why can't America handle pineapple soft drinks?!

Scoti
06-28-2002, 09:00 PM
I get the strawberry ones from the Toronto China town but it hasn't become an addiction...yet
Ranma you mentioned something about ordering it at Japanesesnacks.com which is kinda cool but something about ordering foreign food online just doesn't sound right

Ranma Saotome
06-29-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Scoti
Ranma you mentioned something about ordering it at Japanesesnacks.com which is kinda cool but something about ordering foreign food online just doesn't sound right

Well I ordered it from them twice, good stuff! :)

Jibrille
06-29-2002, 05:54 AM
and my stuff arrived from jcrave.com yesterday! ^^
WOW that was some nice fast shipping. and oh yes.... vanilla yan-yan is just as wonderful as i imagined it to be... mmmmm.....

Ranma Saotome
06-29-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Jibrille
and my stuff arrived from jcrave.com yesterday! ^^
WOW that was some nice fast shipping. and oh yes.... vanilla yan-yan is just as wonderful as i imagined it to be... mmmmm.....

How are their prices?

Jibrille
06-29-2002, 04:25 PM
they are decent. not REAL cheap, but not expensive either. nice and reasonable. their yan-yan is cheap (99cents)
and shipping was $5 so thats not bad and it got here in 3 days. (express rocks)
their selection is nice too. they just dont have the chocolate mushrooms. ;_;

^^

Ranma Saotome
06-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Jibrille
they are decent. not REAL cheap, but not expensive either. nice and reasonable. their yan-yan is cheap (99cents)
and shipping was $5 so thats not bad and it got here in 3 days. (express rocks)
their selection is nice too. they just dont have the chocolate mushrooms. ;_;

^^

*adds to Favorites*