PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Rooms Info

Daala
08-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Well I booked my room yesterday, but I asked about the anime USA rate and they said they only had one room left at the rate stated on the site. So I ended up getting a non-group rate room. I'm only posting this so you all know, the rooms are getting booked fast.

Toastersix
08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
What is the non-Anime USA rate, if you don't mind my asking.

Mandyness
08-10-2004, 02:16 PM
You got to be kidding*grr*

Darxim
08-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Call them back and ask for a supervisor. The room block is not full.

NeoSpike
08-10-2004, 03:13 PM
so, how much does a room cost?

Mandyness
08-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Call them back and ask for a supervisor. The room block is not full.
ooo that good to hear :thumbsup:

Mandyness
08-10-2004, 03:15 PM
so, how much does a room cost?
i think it said at the web site $79

Maester Seymour
08-10-2004, 03:57 PM
yeah its 79, woo for booking early ^_^

trigunvash
08-10-2004, 04:10 PM
79 a night isn't bad, the rooms are roomy lol, compared to twice as much for an Otakon hotel for half the room.

Darxim
08-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Our hotel liason is going to, if he hasn't already, talk to the hotel to clear up any confusion on their part.

It should also be noted that if you get a room with a king-size bed, you can get a complimentary roll-away bed. Be careful, though. Those things have wheels. Although, I don't think they roll when they're unfolded.

senshi_meiousei
08-10-2004, 08:06 PM
I just made reservations and I had to get a non-group rate since they would not allow a roll-away bed in the king room. They said only three in that room. But, if you have a parent going along or can sign for you at check-in that has an AARP discount card, you can get a non-group double room for $75/night. That's what we did.

Daala
08-10-2004, 08:55 PM
the non-group rate is $10 -$15 more. The person I talked too told me under the group rate they had only one room left. It's okay, I was looking for a bigger room anyways...but I just wanted to let you guys know.

YunalescaSummon
08-10-2004, 09:07 PM
O_o... More money to be spent...

Mandyness
08-10-2004, 11:23 PM
*sighs* this kinda sucks that the rooms are going fast

lunasreincarnat
08-10-2004, 11:25 PM
i got my room but they said i could only get a king size @_@ ill call later and see if i can fix that... they did that to me last year. it wasnt that bad. wee i cant wait anime usa is soo much fun ^.^

trigunvash
08-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Their standard rooms are pretty large, with a table and armchair.

xiaolong
08-11-2004, 12:24 AM
According to the AUSA web site, "Per-night room rate (single to quad occupancy) for Anime USA 2003 will be $79 if you contact the hotel by September 28th and mention Anime USA."

I've been holding out on reserving a hotel room till I'm certain about my financial situation, but should I just try to get a room now at the cheaper rate? This statement on the web site led me to believe that I could wait till Sept. 28 and still get the $79/night rate without having to worry that the rooms will run out.

Fireflystar
08-11-2004, 01:28 AM
It should also be noted that if you get a room with a king-size bed, you can get a complimentary roll-away bed.

just made reservations and I had to get a non-group rate since they would not allow a roll-away bed in the king room.

Mahhh..so confusing..

Well..an extra $10 here or there won't be the end of the world..but wow, I can't believe they're going so fast.
It's not even the end of August...

trigunvash
08-11-2004, 01:35 AM
I doubt its going really fast, last year I booked a room late and still got a $79.00 21 day advanced internet rate.

lunasreincarnat
08-11-2004, 02:07 AM
I doubt its going really fast, last year I booked a room late and still got a $79.00 21 day advanced internet rate.

well last year i counted 25 cosplay.com people at the most that went to AUSA... this year its like triple that, like 90 something right now... so im not suprised if they are filling up.

Tess
08-11-2004, 04:11 AM
*twitch* I sincerely hope they are not filling up so quickly. Until fall semester starts, I will have absolutely no way of knowing if I'm even ABLE to attend Anime USA. >_<;; I doubt I'll have scheduling conflicts, considering it's Halloween weekend and all, but my uni is stupid about these things. Guh.

@-->--- Tess

makotohanabi
08-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Just called the hotel and the reservation agent, Kathleen, said that the con only booked the rooms with a king sized bed and per fire code only three people could stay there. Actually she was just shy of rude. If I wanted a room for 4 people (my group is only 3 people but I don't want to share a bed with 2 people) I would have to pay $89/night. The website says the rooms are from 1-4 occupancy, not sure if the hotel can't get their story straight or they're trying to scam us.

I'd like to email the hotel liasion with the information, but I can't find the address in the contacts section of the ausa website.

I live close to the con so i can just stay home, but it's more fun to stay at the hotel.
I'll have to see what my friends want to do, but i'm tempted to cram 20 people in the room.

trigunvash
08-11-2004, 02:22 PM
89.00 a night is their standard rate, so they are not trying to rip you off or anything. And from my experience with the hotel staff (because I've stayed there a few times) they are all professional.

But if you go their the website you can book two double bed room for 79.00 a night. Its their internet rate you don't get over the telephone.

BTW 20 people won't fit in the room.

Mandyness
08-11-2004, 02:55 PM
The hotel still does cost that much even if you don't get the rate i think. I'm not totally sure.

Darxim
08-11-2004, 03:38 PM
The account manager of the hotel is apparently not available until Monday. The mess apparently won't be cleared up until then. Garr!

If you have reserved under the non-group rate, please contact the hotel on Tuesday to arrange to have your room put under the group rate.

Important Note: If you reserve under the Internet rate, you cannot cancel or make changes to your reservation without massive penalty (that penalty being $79). Also, the Internet Rate puts you in the tower, which means you have to take the elevators to get to your room. If all this is okay with you, by all means, go ahead and reserve under the Internet Rate.

trigunvash
08-11-2004, 03:45 PM
I stayed in the tower last year it wasn't bad at all, had a really great view, unless all the elevators somehow broke down I didn't have a problem last year. It sure beats walking 5blocks at Otakon.

Where are the con rooms located?

Darxim
08-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Just called the hotel and the reservation agent, Kathleen, said that the con only booked the rooms with a king sized bed and per fire code only three people could stay there. Actually she was just shy of rude. If I wanted a room for 4 people (my group is only 3 people but I don't want to share a bed with 2 people) I would have to pay $89/night. The website says the rooms are from 1-4 occupancy, not sure if the hotel can't get their story straight or they're trying to scam us.
That's typical of hotels. They charge the advertised rate for 1-2 people, and if you add more, they charge more. The trick is to tell them the room is for 2 people regardless of how many people are staying in the room. It's not like they check your room while you're sleeping and kick out extra people.

Darxim
08-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Where are the con rooms located?
They're in that looped area past all the event rooms. The loop creates the courtyard that the outside pool is in. The outside pool is closed at the time of the convention though. :( But there's an indoor pool. :)

Darxim
08-11-2004, 03:51 PM
About the roll-away beds *pant* *pant* (running out of breath), there's nothing you can't get at a hotel if you complain enough about it and yell at people's supervisors about how rude they were to you when you asked for it. I know it's dirty, but that's the way the hotels play, so it's justified.

trigunvash
08-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah now I think I remember. My mind gets screwed up sometimes trying to remember floor layouts.

makotohanabi
08-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Darxim: should I wait until tuesday to call again and reserve a room to get the con rate? I've been making hotel reservations for years and never been jerked around like this.

trigunvash: i know the regular rate is $89 + 8.75% VA hotel tax, but why should i pay full price when the con made arrangements for a discount? All i want is the con rate in a room that fits 4 people, it does not seem unreasonable. btw it is possible to fit 20 people in a room, never said you could do it comfortably.

xiaolong: might want to consider calling the hotel and asking what their cancellation policy is (generally you can cancel up to 24 hours without being charged) and either reserve a room or wait until you find out if you can go and post on the "need a room for ausa" threads that will pop up in oct.

trigunvash
08-11-2004, 09:20 PM
I suggest what Darxim said, just call for the convention rate for 2 people. All the convention rooms are the exact same size to my knowledge unless you book a suite. The hotel doesn't "check" to see if there's 4 or more people inside.

If you wish to have a room with double beds, then booking with the standard rate of 89.00 or the internet rate of 79.00 is your best bet.

To have 20 people in the room, you'll need to take out the coffee table, armchair and maybe the television and have some people sleeping or standing on top of each other. Though I don't want to test it like how many people fit into a volkswagon beetle lol.

lunasreincarnat
08-11-2004, 11:13 PM
To have 20 people in the room, you'll need to take out the coffee table, armchair and maybe the television and have some people sleeping or standing on top of each other. Though I don't want to test it like how many people fit into a volkswagon beetle lol.

bawhaha 20... thats seems like a challenge... i have fit 12 people in a double room before... bodies on da floor. LOL

anyway, i called the hotel today to see if i can change my reservations to a quad instead of a king. since i belive the site says i can have 2 beds. but yeah the lady told me to wait to talk to some guy and she said to call make later next week. she seemed nice. the hotel people at AUSA were very nice last year so i hope i dont have any problems this year.

xiaolong
08-12-2004, 01:16 AM
xiaolong: might want to consider calling the hotel and asking what their cancellation policy is (generally you can cancel up to 24 hours without being charged) and either reserve a room or wait until you find out if you can go and post on the "need a room for ausa" threads that will pop up in oct.

Good idea! I'll call them up first thing tomorrow and see about cancellation. I'm sure they'll let me cancel a month in advance anyway.

Darxim
08-12-2004, 01:38 AM
I'd wait until Tuesday, or whenever I say it's okay on Monday (I'll post as soon as I get word) to reserve a room.

The cancellation policy for regular rooms bears no penalty if you cancel this far in advance, just the Internet Rate (better read that fine print (http://www.starwood.com/sheraton/search/rateplandetail_popup.html?propertyID=691&arrivalDate=2004-10-29&departureDate=2004-10-31&lengthOfStay=2&reservationTotalCost=&roomOccupancyTotal=01&flag1=D&rateCategoryCode=&ratePlanCurrencyCode=USD&rateFrequency=PN&roomTypeCode=D&roomBedCode=2D&roomRate=79&numberOfAdults=01&smokingPreference=&city=&stateProvince=&country=&postalCode=&metroCode=&hotelLocationType=&pOI=&PagingKey=&requestedChainCode=SI&requestedAffiliationCode=SI&goToRooms=no&diffOfCount=-1&rateS=&totalCost=&ratePlanName=DAILY21&numberOfRooms=01&countOfPaging=0&promoCode=&fromRes=FR&okRate=Y&averageRate=79&bn=sheraton&rcc=&rac=&bedColor=false&smokeColor=false&rateColor=false&iataColor=false&wheelColor=false&adultColor=false&bid=sh&wheelchairPreference=0&count=6&countOfPages=1&countPosition=0&totalCount=0&fromPage=23XX&roomBedCodeDis=&ratePlanNameDis=&roomSharers|0|guestFirstName=&roomSharers|0|guestLastName=&rateCodeDetailsIndicator=Y&fromSearch=11XX&maximumReservationRooms=9&promotionCode=&corporateAccountNumber=&rcdi=&starwoodPreferredGuest=&fromPR=PR&sortingOrder=&iATANumber=&ratePlanID=) on the Internet Rate).

makotohanabi
08-12-2004, 09:10 PM
fyi: the AAA rate for the hotel is $75/night, might be easier to get a room that way.

moonbunnychan
08-13-2004, 02:22 AM
I was just on the hotel's website, and apparently now the cheapest non con rate is 112 dollars 0_o

Darxim
08-13-2004, 03:02 AM
You need a AAA membership to get the AAA rate.

The cheapest non-con rate is still $79/night (Internet rate), unless you want to have the potential to cancel, in which case it's $89/night. To see the $89/night rate for a room with double beds, you have to click next on the page with the reservation rates.

It would be best to just wait until next week when we've cleared up the hotel's confusion.

xiaolong
08-13-2004, 03:14 AM
fyi: the AAA rate for the hotel is $75/night, might be easier to get a room that way.

Is there a date we have to reserve by? And did you just find this info online?

trigunvash
08-13-2004, 03:02 PM
The AAA rate is online and you have to present an AAA membership card at checkin.

I just checked the hotel website, the cheapest non con rate is still 79.00 internet saver. The standard rate is still 89.00 a night. I'm not sure where you saw 112.00 from?

I'd take Darxium's suggestion and wait till monday for the hotel person to come back and clear things up.

But from the sounds of it, all the rooms with double beds have been booked that were reserved for the convention block? And that the only rooms available for the convention block are rooms with king beds? (if thats so, than booking at the non con rate of 79.00(internet saver) or 89.00 standard rate for a double bed is the only option if you wish to have a double. BUT Lets wait and see Monday for total clearification.

moonbunnychan
08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Ok, I just got off the phone with the hotel, I figured by wednesday things would be fixed but apparently not. They told me that all that's available at the con rate is still just one king sized bed, and also that the con rates dont apply for Thursday night, just Friday and Saturday. That's pretty dumb, isnt it pretty standard practice for people attending cons to arrive the night before? So the lady tells me I can have the room with the king sized bed for the con rate fri and sat but the best available rate for thurs night was 239 dollars. Yipes. So I hop on the hotel's website, and again, I could get fri and sat night for 89 dollars, but if I want thurs night it'd be 112 dollars a night for all 3 nights. :untrust:
Does anybody else plan on arriving thursday night, and if so, what have you guys done?
It would figure that the first time I'm the group leader of my group and thus have the responsibility to reserve the rooms that it turn out like this >_<
I really want and need to reserve SOMETHING, if I wait too long I wont have any room at all and my friends are going to kill me. Right now, the 112 dollars a night is looking like my best option, but it's more money then I'd really planned on paying.
What's everybody else done?

Mandyness
08-18-2004, 02:49 PM
ouch it going to be so much money
i have to get two rooms ACK

lunasreincarnat
08-18-2004, 02:53 PM
um who did you act. talk to. becuase i reserved my room for thursday and i got the con rate. if you made a reservation thru like the sheraton company they dont know what they are doing. if you made it thru the act. hotel at tysons corner they should of gave you the rate for thursday.

and i dont know where they are getting this 112 price from, if it was the reg rate it would be like 90 dollars. anyway hope you get this cleared up. this will be another thing i have to confirm when i call to see if i can get my double beds -.-.

heh i feel your pain, i always make the reservations. its sucks to have to break the new to the people staying with you that its gonna be more then promised. and then they get made at you even though its not your fault and there is nothing you can really do about it.

Daala
08-18-2004, 02:58 PM
The hotel is double booked for another event at the same time as Anime usa. Which is why the rooms are going fast. But you should still be able to get a room under the con rate, my friend just did. I hear it should be worked out soon...the double booking that is.

trigunvash
08-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Actually unlike Otakon, most poeple who attend AnimeUSA are from the area, even if they are not, its not really neccessary to arrive and book a room Thursday evening.

There's no crazy Thursday night pre-reg pick up, or really any events taking place. Since AUSA isn't in the "big city" theres really nothing else to do. Most people arrive Friday Morning-MidDay, You can save yourself even more money by booking Fri-Sun. Especially if you live in the VA,DC,MD area, the maximum drive is 2-4hours depending on how far away you're from Tyson's Corner.

moonbunnychan
08-18-2004, 03:12 PM
I called the hotel directly, and the lady there told me I couldnt have the con rate for Thursday. I'm about ready to just go down there personally, since for me it's only half an hour away. I'd be fine about getting there Friday, but I have friends comming from much farther that I know are going to want to get there Thursday night.
I really need to book something soon, especially now that I see that it's double booked. I'm just really afraid of not getting anything at all.

trigunvash
08-18-2004, 03:15 PM
If you are a half hour away: Re: my last post.

moonbunnychan
08-18-2004, 03:17 PM
If you are a half hour away: Re: my last post.

I am, but the rest of the people I'm going with are from much, much farther, and unfortunately, they cant just stay at my house for the night either.

Darxim
08-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Yeah, so much for me getting a response from the hotel Monday. I'm losing faith in our hotel liason. I'm about to call them up myself with a platter.

moonbunnychan
08-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Yeah, so much for me getting a response from the hotel Monday. I'm losing faith in our hotel liason. I'm about to call them up myself with a platter.

I'm really frustrated with the whole situation but I know it's not really your guy's fault.

lunasreincarnat
08-18-2004, 11:31 PM

yes, its not your or any staffers fault but if you do call them can you clear up the thursday rate problem? hearing what happened to other people is making me paranoid. even though im pretty sure i have the rate for all 3 days.

Darxim
08-19-2004, 12:42 PM
The con rate did apply for Thursday night, but there was a smaller block for that, and it's been all used up. Our hotel liason has said he will try to get that expanded, but considering how responsive the hotel has been (response on Monday? It's, what, Thursday now?) I wouldn't hold out for it.

If you want to reserve a room for Thursday night, I'd make a separate reservation for that night from the Fri/Sat reservation. If you get the same room type for both, then you should be able to have them give you the same room for all three nights when you check-in, and then you won't have to check out.

Considering that it has been half a week since we were supposed to get a correction from the hotel, I say go ahead and reserve rooms at either the non-refundable Internet rate (http://www.starwood.com/sheraton/search/ratelist.html?propertyID=691&arrivalDate=2004-10-29&departureDate=2004-10-31&lengthOfStay=2&reservationTotalCost=&roomOccupancyTotal=01&flag1=&rateCategoryCode=&ratePlanCurrencyCode=&rateFrequency=&roomTypeCode=&roomBedCode=&roomRate=&numberOfAdults=01&smokingPreference=&city=&stateProvince=&country=&postalCode=&metroCode=&hotelLocationType=&pOI=&PagingKey=&requestedChainCode=SI&requestedAffiliationCode=SI&goToRooms=no&diffOfCount=-1&rateS=&totalCost=&ratePlanName=&numberOfRooms=01&countOfPaging=0&promoCode=&fromRes=FR&okRate=Y&averageRate=&bn=sheraton&rcc=&rac=&bedColor=false&smokeColor=false&rateColor=false&iataColor=false&wheelColor=false&adultColor=false&bid=sh&wheelchairPreference=0&count=0&countOfPages=1&countPosition=0&totalCount=0&fromPage=23XX&roomBedCodeDis=&ratePlanNameDis=&roomSharers%7C0%7CguestFirstName=&roomSharers%7C0%7CguestLastName=&rateCodeDetailsIndicator=&fromSearch=11XX&maximumReservationRooms=9&promotionCode=&corporateAccountNumber=&rcdi=&starwoodPreferredGuest=&fromPR=PR&sortingOrder=&iATANumber=&ratePlanID=) of $79/night, or the "best available (http://www.starwood.com/sheraton/search/ratelist.html?propertyID=691&arrivalDate=2004-10-29&departureDate=2004-10-31&lengthOfStay=2&reservationTotalCost=&roomOccupancyTotal=01&flag1=&rateCategoryCode=&ratePlanCurrencyCode=&rateFrequency=&roomTypeCode=&roomBedCode=&roomRate=&numberOfAdults=01&smokingPreference=&city=&stateProvince=&country=&postalCode=&metroCode=&hotelLocationType=&pOI=&PagingKey=&requestedChainCode=SI&requestedAffiliationCode=SI&goToRooms=no&diffOfCount=-1&rateS=&totalCost=&ratePlanName=&numberOfRooms=01&countOfPaging=0&promoCode=&fromRes=FR&okRate=Y&averageRate=&bn=sheraton&rcc=&rac=&bedColor=false&smokeColor=false&rateColor=false&iataColor=false&wheelColor=false&adultColor=false&bid=sh&wheelchairPreference=0&count=6&countOfPages=2&countPosition=6&totalCount=0&fromPage=23XX&roomBedCodeDis=&ratePlanNameDis=&roomSharers%7C0%7CguestFirstName=&roomSharers%7C0%7CguestLastName=&rateCodeDetailsIndicator=&fromSearch=11XX&maximumReservationRooms=9&promotionCode=&corporateAccountNumber=&rcdi=&starwoodPreferredGuest=&fromPR=PR&sortingOrder=&iATANumber=&ratePlanID=)" rate of $89/night. Also, our hotel liason says that you can get a complimentary roll-away bed for your room with a king-size bed in it if you reserve with the Anime USA rate, which, for some reason, there are rooms available in (even though we requested almost all double-bed rooms for our block), but you won't get it until check-in. I'm guessing that this means the hotel staff will give you grief over it. Hey, I tell it how I see it, whether it looks good or not.

Darxim
08-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Ah, also, if you do get the separate reservation for Thursday night, and then we get the block expanded, you can cancel that and re-reserve under the con rate, without compromising your Fri/Sat reservation.

And now for some random drinking.

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

makotohanabi
08-19-2004, 01:55 PM
lunasreincarnat: I'd check with the hotel just to double check, I just called again to get a room for Thursday and they put me in a smoking room by mistake. I was able to get the room (used the AAA 21 day advance rate :$75/night for 2 adults) for thursday and have it changed to non smoking.

Darxim: do you know what other group will be at the hotel during ausa? heard the hotel is double booked. ::gets flashbacks of the infamous soccer people from ama::

Darxim
08-19-2004, 02:05 PM
I heard it's some kind of religious thing. I don't know the details. It'd be nice if our two orgizational groups could get together before the event so we could prevent any head collisions during it. That all depends on the other group, though. I wonder what religion(s) it is.

Riji
08-19-2004, 03:12 PM
I heard it's some kind of religious thing.

::gets flashbacks from the Morbid Con Stories guy from AMA::
Cosplayer in Elevator: (scary voice) "Going down?"

Anyway, I really don't care that they're there but I just hope that they don't mess with the cosplayers like some of the soccer people did at AMA.

Sorahana
08-19-2004, 06:04 PM
How did I know it was gonna be religious? Lol XD. They'll probably try to convert us or something *shrugs*.
I keep nagging my friend to book the room but she's taking her good old time....back to nagging her!!

Darxim
08-19-2004, 07:20 PM
I've edited out what I posted because it occurred to me it might not be okay to divulge the information.

Darxim
08-19-2004, 07:26 PM
See last post.

lunasreincarnat
08-19-2004, 07:26 PM
gah republicans i think im alergic lol.

yeah, i know for a fact i got the room rate for all 3 days. but since i have OCD im gonna call and confirm everything i already know. heh.

thanks for the info darxim

makotohanabi
08-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Would be nice to know more about this group, at least their name so I can do my own research on them. Still, the staff at AUSA are really great people and I know you'll have our backs covered if anything happens.

trigunvash
08-19-2004, 10:48 PM
I was just reading that the group is mainly booked for Friday, and that they are just booking rooms, I don't think whatever event they are going to is in the actual hotel (they'll probably be gone all day to whatever event they are going to), so I really doubt there will be any "problems" anyways.

Darxim
08-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Their event is in the hotel.