PDA

View Full Version : Scarring?

Red Fang
08-10-2004, 02:16 PM
I will possibly be cosplaying a character that has some facial scarring. is there any makeup technique I can use to achieve this or should I just cut myself before hand? The pain is not an issue.(high pain threshold) I don't intend to cut severly enough to leave an actual scar, merely a red slice of cut skin. I experimented with this purely by accident when(warning! stupid moment) I decided to test the sharpness of my newly sharpened thrwing knives. Before anyone asks I'm not a cutter and don't find pain physically pleasurable. I simply desire to make my outift as realistic as humanly possible.

Chocochick
08-10-2004, 04:46 PM
A) NEVER cut yourself
B) If you pick up liquid band-aid and a brown-red lipliner/eyeliner pencil, you draw it on, put the liquid band-aid over it, it pulls the skin, and you have yourself a scar. You can layer it as you'd like.

Red Fang
08-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Thank you Chocochick. I might use the rigid Colouid or something.

rei_hino
08-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Let me say never, ever buy that cheap "extra skin" makeup from like e-party or party needs. You know the kind that comes in the small white thing for ceap like 5 bucks? You'll get no where. My first cosplay. .*ah, memories*
I was chichiri, with acne, blue hair paint and that stuff. It's waterproof, right? Well, I put it on my left eye and tried to make a scar but it make my eyebrow patterns switch, I got gunk all over my lashes, and I couldn't wash it off because it was greasy and waterproof. If you do get something like this product (except better) it's better to have someone like a friend help in some way (putting it on, telling you if it's in the right place, telling if it's backwards) so you don't end up with something awkward. *sigh* I should have tried it the night before. . I was a beginner anyway. . .

Red Fang
08-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Purley as a side note, when I cut myself on the face it went away in half the time it takes for the little cuts on my fingers to heal. i wonder why?

Alleria
08-10-2004, 08:21 PM
ever heard of "rigid Collodion"? It's a "scar" maker. You place it on your skin (FYI: really smelly when wet) and, as it dries, it "puckers" the skin around it, so it looks like a scar. Just place some white powder makeup around the edge of the collodion and red powder over it (or under the collodion if you want/need it really dark) and you have a scar that lasts all day. And you can peel it off when you're done. If you go to your local costume store, they might have it. Or look online, but that's much more expensive. It'll be a bit shiny, but not enough to be noticed. Usually some powder over it should cover that up. Or liquid make-up.
And it's pronounced "Co-Loi-dee-on" <--(Just so you don't like a goof saying it like I did)

ZiggyB
08-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Ahhh yah, please, no actual scaring. That's bad.

Here's a FAQ topic about scars, How do I make a scar using makeup? (http://faq.cosplay.com/article.php?id=054)

Grav
08-10-2004, 08:34 PM
you're face heals quicker because of the type of skin. The skin on your hands and feet is fourty to eighty times thicker to that on your face. So there is less to heal.

PepeluTivursky
08-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Would the same ideal apply for burns and such? I'm mulling over doing Kirie from 'Fatal Frame' and wanted some nice robe burns for the occassion n.n

Alleria
08-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Would the same ideal apply for burns and such? I'm mulling over doing Kirie from 'Fatal Frame' and wanted some nice robe burns for the occassion n.n
The collodion should do for burns too. Just spread more of it out of your skin and makeup underneath it.

PepeluTivursky
08-10-2004, 09:08 PM
The collodion should do for burns too. Just spread more of it out of your skin and makeup underneath it.

Oooo, thank you! n_____n

Chocochick
08-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Is collodion the same price as liquid band-aid? I saw a girl with a scar made of it, and her's looked exactly like mine.

Alleria
08-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Is collodion the same price as liquid band-aid? I saw a girl with a scar made of it, and her's looked exactly like mine.
I got a fluid ounce for 4.25 at my costume shop. what was your cost?

Meikumo
08-11-2004, 10:38 AM
What about a scar that goes through the eye? I'm going a ANBU Kakashi, and I'm guessing putting the RC on the eyelid is a no-no, right? The scar would also be going on the half circle beneath the eye, and as my skin has a particularily squeamish aversion to most things I apply to it, is there a certain product I should use in alternative to the RC?

Also, since the scar goes through the eyebrow as well, can I use the RC over my eyebrow without losing hair? Or should I just make the scar above and below the eyebrow, not through it?

Chocochick
08-11-2004, 12:29 PM
I got a fluid ounce for 4.25 at my costume shop. what was your cost?

A fluid ounce for $8.00. Wow, I was cheated, then again, it is supposed to be for real scars and such. I looked for Collodion originally but no place around here has it. I guess Liquid band-aid would be a nice alternative if you couldn't find it.