PDA

View Full Version : Help with Akatsuki (Naruto) Costume!

chibi_chocobo
08-11-2004, 01:36 AM
Ok, I've read all (I believe) the threads about how to make the Akatsuki robes, basically the ones Itachi and Kisame wore. But no one really seems to mention how the cloak is held closed :lost: ....what do you ppl use? zippers (can you get them that long? O_o), buttons, velcro (spelt right?), etc... Help!

And the clouds...what technique do you suggest? If it's the applique one... what materials for the clouds? As in the same type of cloth as the robes... or even finer quality? Thanks if I seem slow on these things! Perfectionist kinda...

P.S. I'm not really going to cosplay Itachi :P...just a missing-nin of Akatsuki... I mean...they gotta have a female member right? The robes were too kewl in the anime :love:

hikarilight
08-11-2004, 11:37 AM
I know what you mean, I just wanted to be a random missing nin as well but in the end, decided to do Itachi XD

Well, as I was flipping through the manga pages, I found that they cloak is held together with buttons, you know those snap kind. So I decided to do that for mine. However, it only shows buttons for the top, you know how he likes to open it to put his hand through. So I guess you can have it either all buttons, part buttons, part zipper/velco if you like?

For the clouds, I appliqued. As for materials, I have no clue for this costume was the first time I used fabric. I just used the same red as I did for the second layer. But I was picky with the fabrics I chose, trying to keep them to something similar as the cloak itself, since I'm a perfectionist as well ^^;;

I hope this helps ^^

chibi_chocobo
08-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info ^.^ that helped a bit... I guess I'm on my own with the fabric, eh? I guess I was thinking about snap buttons too, but my, that's alot of buttons :razz: ! Let's hope appliquing them won't show my badly cut edges on the clouds :p . Hmm..would a different color on the beads be a good idea? :dance: I'm so indecisive lol.

hikarilight
08-13-2004, 12:16 AM
You're welcome ^^

Maybe someone else will comment and help you with that ^^;; Being new to fabric is not easy, I still am seeing as I need to buy some more soon XD

Actually, it's not a lot of buttons, i only used 10 but maybe that's because I spaced it some bit...

Yea, my edges are also cut badly but I tried to best to fix that..

As for the beads, it depends on what version you want to do, manga or anime. But for me, I didn't do those beads on that hat he has since I decided not to do the hat for now XD

I'm indecisive too XD

☆Skull Rabbit☆
08-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Hey, does he wear pants? haha

I mean, umm, how to explain....

In one picture I have, it has kind of like tight things that go on his legs with the thing at the bottom that goes under the shoe, like what little children wear :D But, I only see from where his cloak ends. \

I think it makes sense.. ? :D ahaha

hikarilight
08-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Yes, Itachi wears pants. Black pants to be precise ^^

☆Skull Rabbit☆
08-14-2004, 12:39 AM
how far do those leg thingies go up then? like, the knee or a little lower??

BlackMarth
08-14-2004, 01:28 AM
They go either at the knee or a little below it.

I held mine together with hooks and eyes, leaving the bottom alone to let it flow. It also allowed my to slip my one hand between two of them to do his look and have both my hands functional (I used one sleeve, from the manga).

For the clouds (very last step), I used the same red material as my Itachi cloak lining, and looked between three pictures of Itachi to see which clouds he had consistent between them. I cut out paper shapes first, scaled in size to my cloak, and pinned it to the fabric, cutting it out bigger than the shape. Then I took white fabric paint, and used a fine brush to paint the lining, then cut off the extra red fabric outside the paint. I was worried about fraying even though it was fabric painted pretty thickly, so I coated the underside of it, along the edges, with clear nail polish. Then I hand-sewed it to my cloak when heat and bond failed, it nearly killed my thumb, fabric paint, nail polish, cotton, and a mostly polyester fabric together make it VERY hard to push a needle through. Get a thimble @_@.

I know some of you are doubting the use of fabric paint, I know my friends didn't believe me when I said I used it until they saw it...not only is it the easiest method to do the lining, it gives you a nice consistent lining, free of the piecing together of white fabric I've seen other people do.

PROOF THAT IT DOESN'T LOOK CRAPPY O_<!
http://neontempest.com/roa/uploads/post-6-1091993057.jpg

chibi_chocobo
08-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanx ppl! >.< Darn computer messin' up on meh....

O.o That sounds like everyone has a hard time with the clouds. Hmm...does the collar just hold up with the buttons...or you interface it, layer it?
:p I hope I don't burn in black.

hikarilight
08-14-2004, 03:30 PM
I had to interface my collar to make it stay up and it's stays up pretty good XD

BlackMarth
08-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Even with extra strength interfacing, it didn't stay up with one layer, I suggest more layers.

☆Skull Rabbit☆
08-14-2004, 11:06 PM
heh I am gonna use white fabric paint to for the outline of the clouds, it was the first idea that came to mind when thinking how to do the costume :D

chibi_chocobo
08-15-2004, 05:31 AM
:square: I should put in like secret pockets too, XD...but lots to do already as it is! I think I should get extra black cloth just in case... :p ....
Btw,...does your bell for the tassle thingy...actually ring like it does in the episodes? Er...my bell kinda weak, but I guess it's good enough for its size... The bell in the anime sounds more like a bike bell chime or something O.o
Hmm....wonder what about his ring? Does anyone know what it says? I'm illiterate in that way >.<

BlackMarth
08-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Yes, my bell rings, but it's impossible to get the deep anime ring from so small (and correctly-sized in real life) a bell. His ring is a white ring with a red circle that says "North" in the anime but can also mean "top," "heaven," you get the idea (it's both a Chinese and Japanese character). Likewise, Kisame's ring has a yellow circle and says "South."

chibi_chocobo
08-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Hmm..So maybe that would give it some way to have an "East" and a "West" too O.<? Btw was the pattern really hard to figure out? I sorta have an idea...but it can turn either way... :woah:

Kodoku
08-27-2004, 11:28 PM
Hey I'm having a hell of a time finding a compadable pattern could any of you guys setch me one pretty please ^__________________^

Ginhoshigaki
07-01-2006, 03:57 AM
wow! that costume looked cool! i want to make one so bad, but i have no fabric skills wut so ever.....:( but i don wanna be a known member, just some missin nin, i'm akat in the www.byond.com, naruto game i play tho....naruto way of the shinobi, it's great! but let me go, i don wanna get ya'll off topic.lol

Clarrisa
07-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Um, on my Akatsuki coat I used a zipper, but since most of the Akatsuki members keep their cloaks half-unzipped sometimes, I sewed the zipper in only halfway. It's good because you don't get as hot.

I cut my clouds from fabric and used a special thingy to glue them onto the cloak (It works well, check my profile), but I wish I had used fabric paint cause now I want to redo the clouds! Where can you get fabric paint? I looked in the nearest sewing/fabric store and it wasnt there..

Pazuzu
07-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Once I'd realized what I was doing, I made up my own pattern for some of my group member's cloaks. It's really entirely made of rectangles, with a V cut out at the neck, and a collar. The whole thing sits just as it should and looks pretty dern accurate.

(pssst, you can get big 118ml bottles of fabric paint at Wal-Mart.)

Isis Ishtar
07-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Has anyone tried screen-printing for the clouds? I know a friend of mine has done that, but I never got around to asking her how it worked and she's going to be out-of-town for a while, so I can't ^^; But I was researching it a bit and it doesn't seem to be too hard to do, and the results look amazing :O Has anyone tried it before?

To keep the cloak together, I'm thinking that using hook and eye thingies or snaps would work the best. Zippers wouldn't allow for much freedom/sticking hands out ^^; But then eyehooks seem like they'd come apart easily, especially with all the material they're trying to hold together...so maybe snaps would be best? =/

Clarrisa
07-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Wal-Mart.. our savior! XD
Gonna have to go over there sometime before CN :3

Pazuzu
07-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Reccomending snaps :D Metal snaps. Or just...snaps. Though it'd probably be nice to use red ones. Just careful not to put them too low on the thing or you'll regret it -__-; *had a pair tear out*

Annie-Mei
07-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I just used a tshirt (xlarge) to get the "body" of the cloak and flared it out as I drew it out.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=589801
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=589802
http://www.808cosplay.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=944&cat=508
http://www.808cosplay.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=970&cat=508
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/vengeance96817/Nuuanu%20Photoshoot/IMG_1150.jpg

And i used the snap buttons to keep the cloak closed / open.

Vash's Doughnut
07-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Hey! Just a quick question, I've sewn in the red lining to my Akatsuki, and I sat there really happy about it. Then I realised, should I have done the lining last if I were to use fabric paint for the clouds? I was thinking maybe the paint would seep through and show up on the lining? If so, is there any other ways I can do it without dismantling my poor Akatsuki? :/
Any replies will be appreciated :)
VD~

Pazuzu
07-03-2006, 07:51 PM
What kind of fabric did you use? If it was moderately heavy (like a cloak should be), then there shouldn't be a problem with it seeping through.

suna_ketsuma
09-08-2007, 08:23 PM
hey well i want to go as deidara too, but i had a question about what did you do about the clouds? I don't know how to do that
thanks if you could help me that's be great!

Annie-Mei
09-09-2007, 03:40 AM
you can applique, screen print, or paint them on