PDA

View Full Version : which is better

Chukkie
08-11-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm trying to decide if I want to go to Nekocon or Anime USA this year. Since I live in NC and the cons are like, a week apart, I can only go to one this year. I was wondering if someone could give me their unbiased opinion of which con is better/bigger/has more stuff and events/etc.

Lufia_Metallium
08-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Can't answer the question, since I've only been to Nekocon, but I had a similar predicament: choosing between Neko (old favorite) and AUSA (something new), since I can only afford one this year. I looked at the websites for both, and checked the forums, compared prices, driving times, etc. For me, AUSA worked out better, since it's closer to my home and just a bit cheaper (especially if I decide not to get a room and just commute, or to only get a room for one night). Plus, the idea of trying a new con was appealing. I figure: if I like it a lot, I know to save up enough for both next year (since I know I like Neko).

So, my suggestion is to first figure out what you're looking for in a fall con, decide how much you want to spend, etc, and do a bit of comparison on your own. Choose whichever one has what you want, fits in your price range. Best of luck!

Darxim
08-12-2004, 04:18 PM
I've never been to Nekocon, so I can only go off what other people say, but people always voice disappointment about it, some more dramatically than others. The most complaints I've heard were in relation to the hotel, though, and this year they're in a conference center, so that probably won't be an issue. However, the thing that Nekocon is known best for is room parties. I don't know how being in a conference center will affect that.

Nekocon will likely have more people at it. Also, even though you have to walk (I'm guessing outside) to get there, the weather won't be all hot like at Otakon, so it won't suck as much. Anime USA, however, is entirely contained within the hotel.

If I had to pick between the two, honestly, I'd pick whichever one I could get to faster. I hate road trips. I kind of want to go to Nekocon, but I don't want to be in the car for 3 hours each way. I was getting irritable on the trip to Anime Mid-Atlantic, and that only took two hours. Maybe I'll get a ride with someone and buy a GBA before I go. That might keep me calm.

Mandyness
08-12-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm doing the same but i'm going to do Anime USA because it so close to were i live and everything.

Maester Seymour
08-12-2004, 05:15 PM
I chose Anime USA because of distance from my place here in PA blah. Nekocon was just too far, and i prefer smaller cons but something tells me this one is gna be bigger than i expect.

Mandyness
08-12-2004, 05:19 PM
I chose Anime USA because of distance from my place here in PA blah. Nekocon was just too far, and i prefer smaller cons but something tells me this one is gna be bigger than i expect.
Same here. I have been hearing a lot of info so i think i'm going to say with Anime USA rite now.

Lufia_Metallium
08-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Neko seemed really big last year because of the crowding at the Holiday Inn in Va. Beach. I've gone for the past 3 years, and I've had a lot of fun, but I decided to go with the cheaper/less gas/try something new and go to AUSA this year. Part of me is sad to be missing a convention center experience, though. Neko's been at the hotel every year I've gone. I bet it would flow a lot better in a bigger arena. Go with your gut: which one do you most want to try?

aku
08-13-2004, 04:41 PM
I've gone to Nekocon 3 and Flash, and I've been to AnimeUSA for the past two years. I'm going to A-USA because it's in Northern VA, and I live in Springfield, so it's a mere metro ride away. I like them both, but A-USA is just more convenient.

Chukkie
08-13-2004, 06:11 PM
well, since no one has given me much specific information from websites or from forums, I'm thinking bout going to AUSA from the bits and pieces of info that I have gotten. Although the drive is going to suck(I live in NC)

trigunvash
08-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Both cons are really good, I guess go to which you find more convient to travel to.

Darxim
08-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Both cons are really good, I guess go to which you find more convient to travel to.
That's what I'm sayin'.

Lufia_Metallium
08-14-2004, 03:23 PM
It's hard to give opinions about what's better, etc, since the experience is different for everyone. What I like about a certain con may be exactly what you hate, and vice versa. Both Neko and AUSA will have good and bad points. Both have similar-style events (dealers room, hall costume contest, masquerade, amv's, etc), but may these events may be handled in different ways. Both will probably rock this year, as they have done in the past, given that I didn't see much negative feedback about either when doing my own research. It's easier to base the decision on quantitative information than qualitative, and, if the differences there are negligible, then you get to pick by which one your gut tells you to try. No one can make the decision for anyone else as to what cons to go to. Pick and enjoy, and perhaps we'll see you at AUSA, or my friends will see you at Neko!