PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Symphonia - Collete's Overcoat/Shawl Thing

PepeluTivursky
08-11-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm currently trying to wrap my mind around Colette Brunel's overcoat/shawl thing. I have the front and the back pretty much traed out and, for the most part, patterns made up for them that I'm later going to transfer to some nice stiff whiteboard, to make it easier to cut out.
That said ... the thing that is the most confusing for me is the collar. By the pictures, you can see it's not a seperate piece. Someone suggested looking at men's coat patterns and such and adapting them but I've yet to see one that had a collar as a piece on the coat, not a piece added to the coat (hehehe, do I make sense with that?)
It's not a /huge/ collar and I never even noticed it still I started looking for sources. But ... what should I do? Just chalk it up and make the collar a seperate piece? Forget it entirely? Keep looking for a pattern?
Any help is much appreciated for this still costume n00b, believe me.

liddo-chan
08-12-2004, 03:26 PM
I think collar *is* a separate piece, though you could tack it to the underpiece. I could be wrong, but what makes you think it's joined? I would make it as a separate bit, like a poncho.

PepeluTivursky
08-12-2004, 03:33 PM
I think collar *is* a separate piece, though you could tack it to the underpiece. I could be wrong, but what makes you think it's joined? I would make it as a separate bit, like a poncho.

Well ... I thought it was a joined piece on the overcoat/shawl itself ... mainly because there wasn't a noticeable seam to it. But then again, I guess a seam there wouldn't be highly noticeable.
You know, I never thought of the poncho ideal! Thanks! I had no clue what to 'term' it :thumbsup:

liddo-chan
08-12-2004, 10:15 PM
good luck :) make sure you post photos of your progress, or at least the final result!

Quantum9
08-26-2004, 02:15 AM
Just a question...where did you find those body sketches like the first one? I've been looking for one for Regal for a while...

UPDATE: Nevermind, found them at the official site of all places X_X; Me = Idiot.

Miaka No Baka
08-27-2004, 12:07 PM
looks like a poncho to me. In order to keep it stable and not moving around you can sew some snaps to the under dress and sew them to the underside of the poncho at the top portion so it looks still separate and flowy but yet doesn't shift around while you are wearing it.

Quantum9, they also have an artbook at most japanese book stores. I just picked it up. It's nothing BUT character sketches and design sheets. It even does the whole little close up of the hands, what the underneath looks like, etc etc...

Miaka no Baka

Yuki-cyan
11-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Hmm...I know friend, Katt, who helping me with my group costumes.(sorry FF7, not TOS...but I plan to soon!) He making Aerith's vest thingy without pattern(yeah, he took sewing/textile extreme course @ college).
If like, I can ask if he has any good idea for pattern. I hope some help...at least glad to help. ^-^=
BTW, what you plan to use for ex-spheres?? I want to make TOS group later too!! ^.'

Jaquii
12-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Just a note about the collar thing: it defenately looks like a separate piece to me. It almost looks as though it's fused with her skin. At least for the ruby-looking pieces, you may want to glue them onto your body and/or create a very fitted necklace. I know that's what I'll be doing with my Collet costume ^_^