PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Zelda Reborn cosplay tips

Equine
08-17-2004, 10:45 PM
i know there's already a whole huge thread about legend of zelda, but i need cosplay tips specific to Legend of Zelda Reborn, i think also known as LoZGC. since the game isnt scheduled to be released until mid-2005 i believe, all i have is promotional art and screenshots to go by. i am going to make a LoZR link costume for my brother to cosplay in and i was going to cosplay as the LoZR zelda, but i dont think there's any art of her out yet. anyways, i was hoping anyone could give me tips of what materials to use and how to do things like the carving design thing in the boots and arm things (gauntlets?). any help would be apreciated. thanks in advance!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Equine/Randomness/Link_PromotionalArt.jpg

TraconEdgar
08-18-2004, 01:23 AM
I'm 90% on my Link 2005 garb, and I've learned a few things which I can pass on.

Before I begin, some helpful info. I try to use as much authentic material as possible. As such, everything that appears to be leather in the available imagery I make out of leather. So the techniques which I use may not be directly adaptable to using other kinds of materials.

To make a Link 2005 Costume the way I made it will cost at least $400. ($160 copper wire, $150-$200 misc leather, $60 misc tools, $20 misc fabric, $15-20 buckles)

And an important point: To dye the leather, I used Fiebings "Saddle Tan" (Saddle Tan is the name of the color) oil dye. After the dye has dried, I applied a coat of Fiebings Tan Kote.

Gauntlets, since you asked specifically:

I think the actual gauntlets shown are probably leather lined metal bracers. Probably a metal tube cut in half and attached to the leather which lays on the inside. The bracer goes together as a clamshell. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to a metal shop, so I had to make the gauntlets as best I could.

The left gauntlet bears a design. First, you need a nice heavy piece of leather and a leather tooling set. ($30 at a leather store) I also recommend getting a basic book from the leather store on how to tool (make a design in) leather. ($10)

The design you see on my gauntlets (see my gallery) is embellished. The outter design I got as best I could from the available imagery from the upcomming game. However, the triforce and phoenix I added because I felt that blank area needed something more.

The insides of my gauntlets are lined with fur. If the leather store in your area sells fur scraps, you're in luck because it's cheap. Otherwise, it's time to spend a lot of money buying a full pelt. Ensure that when you measure out the gauntlet, you add several inches as the fur will add substantially to the circumfrence of your arm.

Tunic

I used a fleece material. The tunic is double layered so that the stitching along the edges of the tunic would be more readily apparent. The split in the tunic does go all the way to the ends of the sleeves, as can be seen in a few frames of the available Link 2005 footage.

Undergarments

I haven't done this yet with the material which I got for this purpose. The material I got is an off-white cotton type material. I don't forsee any problems using this. The legs this time around don't seem to be in tight tights. But the arms could be.

Belts

Again, thick leather. Cut the strips out, attach buckles, then dye the leather. You may not want to punch holes in the belt immediately. The chain mail will add several inches to your girth.

Chain Mail

I used 10AWG Copper Wire (two 500' spools) The mail wieghs in at 50lbs. I would recommend using 12 or possibly 14AWG wire, and wrap it around a 3/16" rod. (I used a 1/2" rod) If I were to do the chainmail over, I'd probably do it with 12AWG wire with a 3/16" rod to get smaller rings. Also, I'm thinking about incorporating some sort of shoulder padding into the undergarments. The wieght of the chainmal bearing down on your shoulders can cause discomfort.

Boots

I haven't started on these yet. My first pair I'm using vinyl to make the boots. I'm doing this because if I mess up with vinyl, it isn't any big deal. Once I have the design right, I have a bufallo hide which I will use for the final boots. The buffalo leather is perfect - it's thick, tough, yet soft and pliable.

I'm thinking of posting a bunch of close-up pictures of my work for those who may want some pointers. Be patient. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Equine
08-18-2004, 05:26 PM
thanks so much! those are great tips!

any suggestions for a material if i dont want to do the chain mail thing?
and do you know of a pattern i could get for the tunic? i wouldnt feel confortable just eying it.

mclean
08-18-2004, 06:44 PM
well, i for one, as many of you know, dont actually think its chainmale.

for my costume, im using a heavy wool knit(or something that looks similar)

but thats just me

TraconEdgar
08-18-2004, 07:33 PM
thanks so much! those are great tips!

any suggestions for a material if i dont want to do the chain mail thing?
and do you know of a pattern i could get for the tunic? i wouldnt feel confortable just eying it.

In the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the actors actually wore heavy knit sweaters. So something in that color would also look good.

As for wether or not it really is chainmail, we'll know when we can actually hear Link walking around in-game.

For the tunic pattern, I eyeballed it. If you're not sure at first, get a cheap material and try making a tunic with that. Once you're satisfied, translate the pattern to whatever material you wish to use.

Equine
08-20-2004, 07:30 PM
well, i for one, as many of you know, dont actually think its chainmale.

for my costume, im using a heavy wool knit(or something that looks similar)

but thats just me
yeah, i was kinda skeptical about the chainmail myself, but we really dont have a lot to go on since the game's not out yet. but wool knit's a great idea. i'll look around then and see if i can find something that would work. thanks!

TraconEdgar
08-20-2004, 09:06 PM
The reason I think it is chainmail is this: functionality.

Would it make sense for Link to wear chain mail? Yes. Chain mail is relatively light compared to plate armor, and would be ideal for a soldier engaged in patrol duties, along with long term travel.

Would it make sense for Link to wear a wool sweater? No. A sweater provides so little protection against attacks that it's protective value is practically zero. If it were cold out, it would make more sense for Link to wear a heavier tunic and trousers instead of the lightweight undergarments which he currently wears. It would be the only thing which he is wearing which serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

mclean
08-21-2004, 12:44 AM
but, really, in the games, functionality isnt the most important thing to the character designers. and a heavy wool knit would be functional for colder places.

i mean, honestly. he wears tights under a tiny tunic

he has to be freezing cold

and in the game art thats been released, if they wanted to make it look like chainmale, they could have

theres no pattern in the texture of his undertunic, which is why i think its a knit(it would be made of tiny circles, just with no pattern)

i really think we arent going to find out for a few months until more is released on the game.